Metal Storm logo
Coroner

18.07.2006 - 14:04
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
I don't know where to start about Coroner, my idea of an ultimate thrash band, so I'll say what's on my mind for now.

Aside from having top tier song writing, including some of the best lyrics, Tommy T Baron is possibly THE guitar god. The music just moves in a hypnotizing swirl, entraping anyone who hears it. I find it best to listen to thier albums Mental Voterx and No More Color passively, to just lay back and let it wash over you, I've gotten some of my best moods and thoughts out of doing this.

The band is simply legendary yet simply overlooked.
Unfortunately they were one of many victims to the Noise Label's imfamous screwjobs, and was forced to disband. They're not even listed on Noise's website for christ's sake!
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
18.07.2006 - 23:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
As some of you might know Coroner is one of my all-time fav bands. Everything they have released is sheer majesty except maybe for their debut album which is more or less standard thrash. Most of the guys in the band used to be roadies for Celtic frost before they started Coroner and proved they are much better musicans, songwriters etc. than Celtic frost.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.07.2006 - 23:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
What a great band, I never had seen them playing live, I never had hold in my hands original stuff, I had dounloudet 2 albums and what a great band , I realy love old school metal and I wish I can live in those days when thay play, Techical Thrásh metal are great, I realy love to ehar more soem old school techical thrash and death abnd slike Coroner
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.07.2006 - 00:10
Markku
Account deleted
Mental Vortex is a masterpiece. Coroner is one of the best tech. thrash bands there has ever been.
19.07.2006 - 01:42
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
It really is amazing how a few Roadies became a great band, but I don't consider them THAT MUCH better than C-Frost. Celtic Frost was always in thier own league, it was very hard for any other band to even be compared to them when Into The Pandemonium was made. But I think Coroner is pretty much on the same level or somwhat better than Celtic Frost.
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
19.07.2006 - 05:48
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.07.2006 at 05:15

Written by Joey Jo Jo on 18.07.2006 at 14:04

Tommy T Baron is possibly THE guitar god.

Ï agree.
There is just one guitarist in metal history who could beat Vetterli, and that's Rand Burkey.
I saw this guys live in 1989 at the age of 18. I have no words. Awesome.

I also agree here... Coroner are the most underrated Thrash band on earth, and its best thing are certainly the guitars, just over-the-top...

my favourite is "Punishment For Decadence"... a pity that the production fucks a damn good album.
19.07.2006 - 07:22
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Coroner FUCKING RULE. They're one of my favourite bands and definately my fav. thrash band. Ron Royce is one of the best bassists in the world. I mean, three guys producing some top quality over the top technical thrash is unbelievable.
My favourite album is Mental Vortex, but the others are damn good too, apart from Grin(which I slightly dislike). I think one of my favourite songs has to be Semtex Revolutions. Man, the intro is so damn infectious!
And I agree with dISEMBOWELMENT that only Rand Burkey/Kelly Shaffer were worthy of producing such godlike riffs.

Now Playing: Coroner - Die By My Hand - [No More Color] - [02:02m of 03:46m]
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
19.07.2006 - 08:44
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
The production values of thier earlier albums are the only negative thing I can possible point out, that and not making 20 albums.

If anything, Mental Vortex is not only thier best album, but one of the greatest albums period, not only in thrash, but just overall. No More Color is not very far behind aswell. Someday I'll review both albums, but I fear that Mental Vortex will too much album for me to review.
----
- Orson Welles
28.07.2006 - 10:49
Megadeth88

Great band, GREAT FUCKIN' BAND! I love this fuckin' band. I heard everything today and WOW! I was blown away at how good these guys are. I had my doubts with this band because it was a three piece, and I thought it was just gonna be a boring riff band that doesn't play solos that often. But man was I wrong. Everything by this band is just INCREDIBLE! If you're into thrash I suggest you check these guys out.
30.07.2006 - 00:38
Pyro
Account deleted
An amazing power trio. My favorite album by then has to be "No More Color". And as southern wind said, they're a very undearrated band (like most European thrash-metal bands).
08.08.2006 - 02:24
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
Coroner were the perfect thrash metal band. The most amazing trio in metal, propably. My favourite album from Coroner is their last album (Grin). I really liked that album so much that i can't describe it. Noise Records have done a really big mistake.
08.08.2006 - 05:52
tattootildeath
Account deleted
yeah, i remember them........ i saw them with kreator back in '89, or '90? they fucking kicked ass, and so did kreator!
09.08.2006 - 01:03
rebelos
Account deleted
i have all of their albums but i prefer RIP
it's more heavy! \m/

but all of their albums are great!
amazing riffs!
my personal favorite thrash metal band!
15.08.2006 - 22:40
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
They were an over the top band. I read they had some problems live though, due to the fact that they were a three-piece band and their use of overdubbing which wasn't possible in a live performance (something similar to some Pantera's songs). This does not take their greatness away.
----
Christless
16.08.2006 - 07:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Darth Satanious on 15.08.2006 at 22:40

They were an over the top band. I read they had some problems live though, due to the fact that they were a three-piece band and their use of overdubbing which wasn't possible in a live performance (something similar to some Pantera's songs). This does not take their greatness away.

I have seen them live a couple of times and let me assure you that they absolutely had no problem getting their songs across. It sounded perfect. Their use of overdubbing was possible due to the use of delays, computers etc.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.08.2006 - 07:45
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.08.2006 at 07:38

I have seen them live a couple of times and let me assure you that they absolutely had no problem getting their songs across. It sounded perfect. Their use of overdubbing was possible due to the use of delays, computers etc.

You mean like using guitar samples onstage. That makes sense. I read that in Wikipedia; it said that when the guitarist would do a solo he would be found alone without the guitar riffs that accompanied him in the record for being a three-piece band. If it is like you say then I don't know from where they took that, perhaps it was pure speculation.
----
Christless
16.08.2006 - 07:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Darth Satanious on 16.08.2006 at 07:45

You mean like using guitar samples onstage. That makes sense. I read that in Wikipedia; it said that when the guitarist would do a solo he would be found alone without the guitar riffs that accompanied him in the record for being a three-piece band. If it is like you say then I don't know from where they took that, perhaps it was pure speculation.

Yep, I meant samples. Well, it probably was just pure speculation. I never trust wikipedia at all becuase of the fact that anyone can submit anything and not everything is checked.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.08.2006 - 07:52
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.08.2006 at 07:48

Written by Darth Satanious on 16.08.2006 at 07:45

Yep, I meant samples. Well, it probably was just pure speculation. I never trust wikipedia at all becuase of the fact that anyone can submit anything and not everything is checked.

Yeah, I know what you mean.
----
Christless
16.08.2006 - 09:01
sanity_assasin
Account deleted
Coroner were fucking brilliant, Punishment For Decadence is one of the best slabs of metal I've ever heard. Its a shame they spit up but at least the left us with 5 very good albums.
01.10.2007 - 16:30
Rattlehead.cz

Really great band!!!!
I know four albums and they are all amazing, most of all I like "No more colors" - the last song of this CD is probably one of the best metal songs ever!
Very underrated band, if you like thrash and you don´t know Coroner, you must hear it!
01.10.2007 - 16:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Rattlehead.cz on 01.10.2007 at 16:30

Very underrated band, if you like thrash and you don´t know Coroner, you must hear it!

I agree its underated but werry good also like Cz Masters Hammer and Dan Arttilery well in MS I know one more band fan here
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.10.2007 - 17:59
Charly546

One of the best tech. thrash bands ever. Mental Vortex is a masterpiece, but every album is at least "very good".
02.10.2007 - 03:48
orphy

Every Coroner album is superb, even the demos were fucking excellent. I like how they started as somewhat of a Celtic Frost worship band, and just exploded into their technical being. Each album progressed in a logical fashion one after another, so it's fun to listen to their stuff in order I find... there's nothing bad I can say! Also, their purple haze cover is pure justice.
----
-orphy
02.10.2007 - 05:32
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 01.10.2007 at 16:50

Written by Rattlehead.cz on 01.10.2007 at 16:30

I agree its underated but werry good also like Cz Masters Hammer and Dan Arttilery well in MS I know one more band fan here

Coroner + Artillery + Sodom is all the thrash I need
02.10.2007 - 06:00
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Sodom is a far cry from Coroner...Sodom does everything pretty damn sloppy and half-assed and sound like grinding noise whereas Coroner has great professional sound quality and focus on song structures a lot more than Sodom...
02.10.2007 - 19:13
Inlé

Coroner are amazing.

Other than Grin all their albums are fantasic, with Grin being just "good" imo.

Best has to be punishment for Decadence, followed by Mental Vortex and No More Color, they are just a band you can't get tired of.
02.10.2007 - 19:56
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.10.2007 at 06:00

Sodom is a far cry from Coroner...Sodom does everything pretty damn sloppy and half-assed and sound like grinding noise whereas Coroner has great professional sound quality and focus on song structures a lot more than Sodom...

but that's why they're two if the three thrash bands I need.. they have nothing to do with each other, still they're both among my favourites... when I need something strong, technical and blissful I listen to Punishment For Decandence, while when I'm in mood for something darker and stunning, I go for "In The Sign Of Evil".... they're both unique bands.
09.01.2008 - 08:00
Nyxgrinder

My friend gave me as a gift "Punishment for Decadence" album and it has been one of my favs, I have the Divine Step video...........even tho here they say they did't have any.
09.01.2008 - 13:12
Fucked Upstairs.
Account deleted
As some of you already mentioned, tommy vetterli is THE metal-guitarist of all time! Though I've never seen Coroner live, I was lucky enough that my ex-guitar teacher is good friends with him, and so I was able to meet him once and see how he shreds the living shit out of his guitar, that guy is just a fucking madman. As for the albums, I like all of their releases, the debut, everything in between and their last effort. As for the technicality, imo Mental Vortex is the crowning glory of technical metal, never to be wrest from it's throne, but my fav. coroner album is punishment for decadence.
09.01.2008 - 13:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I still regularly play this band's cd's, by far the best and most consistent Swiss metal band ever.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996