Album: Dark Chamber Litanies
Style: Melodic death metal
Release date: 2009

01. Cadent Beating
02. Since They're Gone
03. Winds Of Despair
04. As My Autumn Withers
05. Mr. Jarrod

Dark Chamber Litanies is the third release of Dawn Of Tears a Spanish combo which plays in the Extreme Power Metal category. Professional as hell, the five new songs featured on the EP are good but absolutely not original for someone like me, being too formatted. On the other hand, if you're into this kind of music, and like bands like Dimmu Borgir or even In Flames for example, this EP will maybe become a good discovery.

When some newcomers don't even know how to record an album, some others are just more professional than some so-called confirmed bands! Ok, Dawn Of Tears is not a real newcomer and has already released one album, but they're not the oldest band scene and their musical maturity is already impressive. Their music is pro, the recording is excellent (and the band is not signed) the performances of the musicians are really good (the guitars soli are really well done and intelligent for example). The songs are catchy and can be compared to some soft Black Metal a la Dimmu Borgir with strong influences from bands like In Flames. The songs can be symphonic but never too much and can be fast with big drums blasts. If all seems to be perfect what's the problem then? Well Dark Chamber Litanies is absolutely formatted and we've seen this kind of music a lot of times in the past. What I want to point it out here is that this release is good in the genre but absolutely not innovative and that's a bit sad?

The band can have great musicians and a perfect recording on this release, they clearly lack of personality! I mean that ok this is well done but where is the little touch which will surprise you? I didn't find it and that's what I like to find in a new release, especially from something which comes from a new band. I don't have the solution too but if the band could add a bit more of personal touches in their future compositions it should become really interesting.

With Dark Chamber Litanies we're just in front of a solid album written by a band which didn't take any risks which means that you could buy it if you're an extreme fan of the genre but which is not a must if you're looking for new things. Let's keep an eye on the band, they can do good things imo but let's hope that they will try to become original!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 31.07.2009

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 131 users
31.07.2009 - 13:37
Deadsoulman

I'll listen to this one, as Descent was one of the best albums in the Gothenburg genre in 2007. Up there with Detonation, Dark Tranquillity and Fall Of Serenity. So I need to check this out.
31.07.2009 - 14:25
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I was actually listening to "Descent" this morning on my way to work... from the review, i think i would get the same feeling in this EP as "Descent", i.e. good but nothing more
----
loves 小巫
03.08.2009 - 11:56
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
"blackened power metal"
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

Hits total: 4918 | This month: 16