Metal Storm logo
Your Ideal Opeth's Compilation

31.07.2009 - 17:15
Andresopeth
I usually don't like compilations albums because sometimes they don't have songs which i like a lot and instead of that have songs i don't like that much, so i was thinking should be great that a band asks their fans for their favorites songs to be into an album like that. So, being Opeth my favorite band, and due to they don't have a compilation album i though should be great to know what their fans think about what is their idea of the perfect Opeth's compilation. In order to do that imagine Opeth and Roadrunner Record come to you and tell you: "Tell me 12 Opet's song you consider must be in a compilation album but following this rules:
1.Must be a song of each Opeth's album
2. You can't pick more than 2 songs of an album"

If they ask me that my compilation would be:

01. In Mist She Was Standing
02. The Twilight Is My Robe
03. The Night & The Silent Water
04. When
05. The Moor
06. Bleak
07. Harvest
08. Deliverance
09. Windowpane
10. Ghost Of Perdition
11. The Grand Conjuration
12. The Lotus Eater

So, what do you people think?
01.08.2009 - 08:15
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Its already been created, its called Still Life....unfortunately I think that breaks the rules of the thread...so here goes:

1. The Moor
2. Demon Of The Fall
3. The Lotus Eater
4. The Baying Of The Hounds
5. Deliverance
6. By The Pain I See In Others
7. The Drapery Falls
8. Reverie/Harlequin Forest
9. Serenity Painted Death
10. Coil
11. Harvest
12. Advent

A true compilation for me would be merely Deliverance/Blackwater Park/Still Life and then maybe a few songs off of Ghost Reveries...I guess I'd consider myself a fan of them, but more of those albums in particular. Most other albums of theirs only have 2-3 songs that impress me from each one.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
01.08.2009 - 08:52
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I think the creator of the thread should keep a table of all the songs people mention descending by popularity. This would make this thread very interesting. Something like this one. No need to make as complex though.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
01.08.2009 - 11:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
We have many opeth treads , polls why we need this, we can simply discuss it in band tread
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.08.2009 - 12:03
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Bad English on 01.08.2009 at 11:21

We have many opeth treads , polls why we need this, we can simply discuss it in band tread

Yeah something like the top 5 Iron Maiden's songs was organized in Iron Maiden's thread, but I think having a separate thread for this makes sense (if you make it my way )
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

01.08.2009 - 12:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by K✞ulu on 01.08.2009 at 12:03

Yeah something like the top 5 Iron Maiden's songs was organized in Iron Maiden's thread, but I think having a separate thread for this makes sense (if you make it my way )

man this is non since, many will say names but not why, this is rediciluss, because simply it is
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.08.2009 - 12:52
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Bad English on 01.08.2009 at 12:10

Written by K✞ulu on 01.08.2009 at 12:03

man this is non since, many will say names but not why, this is rediciluss, because simply it is

Well, it can be kept for the sake of statistics. For me it's interesting. But comments would not be out of place indeed.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

01.08.2009 - 13:40
TheBigRossowski
I cannot find myself completing any list. That's like asking any dude what his favorite vagina is? (Sorry ladies!). It's all fucking good! Well, I would at least leave out more of the Ghost Reveries material. Great thread though! For those who can decide anyways.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
02.08.2009 - 01:46
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by TheBigRossowski on 01.08.2009 at 13:40

I cannot find myself completing any list. That's like asking any dude what his favorite vagina is? (Sorry ladies!). It's all fucking good! Well, I would at least leave out more of the Ghost Reveries material. Great thread though! For those who can decide anyways.

Do you mind keeping your voice down, sir, this is a family website.

I had a hard time with the thread simply because of the guidelines. I find Opeth songs are a lot better in context with the rest of the album they are from, so it's hard to choose a maximum of just 2 from each album.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
07.09.2012 - 09:01
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I typically hate compilations, unless the songs are reinvented (Magic and Mayhem by Amorphis) or are unreleased demos or singles (Louder than Bombs by The Smiths), because it's just a random jumbling of songs that kills any sort of potential flow that I love from albums. but if I have to choose then:

1. Ghost of Perdition
2. When
3. Windowpane
4. Godhead's Lament
5. Forest of October
6. Drapery Falls
7. By The Pain I See In Others
8. Folklore
9. Burden
10. Hessian Peel
11. To Bid You Farewell
12. Baying of the Hounds
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
08.09.2012 - 11:11
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I think the best idea is to never ever have a compilation album for Opeth at all. Each one of their albums has a theme, some are even concept albums which specifically have a story, in which each track is an essential chapter. The flow of the albums is also extremely important, so it wouldn't make sense to have a compilation album.

Still, if there HAD to be one, I'd go with these:

1.Under the Weeping Moon
2.The Night and the Silent Water
3.When
4.Demon of the Fall
5.Godhead's Lament
6.Bleak
7.Blackwater Park
8.Deliverance
9.Closure
10.Ghost of Perdition
11.Hessian Peel
12.I Feel the Dark

I'd probably mix the order around for better flow, but really in order to have a good flow they should really just be heard within their respective albums. Anyway, those are some of my favorite Opeth tracks.
----
23.10.2012 - 16:33
ToMegaTherion
I'm all for picking an Opeth compilation, but 12 10 minute plus songs is gonna need a few cd's to fill it. Anyway, here goes for me.

1 - The Moor
2 - The Drapery Falls
3 - Harvest
4 - Deliverance
5 - Demon of the Fall
6 - Death Whispered a Lullaby
7 - Coil
8 - Devils Orchid
9 - To Bid You Farewell
10 - Baying of the Hounds
11 - Face of Melinda
12 - Harlequin Forest

You could give me another 20 songs and i dont think you would loose anything from the quality of the music.