06. Delusions Of Grandeur
07. Not A Nightmare
08. Damned Religion
09. Uniform
10. The End
11. Refuse To Live - Part II [Japanese bonus]
12. Warhead [Japanese bonus]
13. Chaos Ride [Japanese bonus]

Artillery, the famous Danish Thrash Metal band is finally back with a new original album, ten years after their last release B.A.C.K! Maybe that you don't know the band really well, because after all they never got the popularity of European Thrash bands like Kreator for example but their first three releases Fear Of Tomorrow (1985), Terror Squad (1987) and By Inheritance (1990) are all considered as really good Thrash releases. B.A.C.K was so-so but what about this new one then? Perfect, if you like really melodic Thrash, but if you're looking for angry violent music, then perhaps look elsewhere. I'm quite sure that When Death Comes will open a lot of debates between true fans of classic Bay Area Thrash and other Thrash listeners. All I can say at least, is that this release is good...for its genre...

Melodic as hell! Yes that's all what I can say about When Death Comes which is a real Thrash Metal release but which dangerously flirts with Heavy Metal. Why am I saying "dangerously"? Just because true extreme Thrash Metal fans probably won't say that this release is the best of the year. I doubt too that they will say that it's a bad album because the songs are cool, thrashy as hell and with good melodies but finally a bit soft. When Death Comes is fast, angry, with "terrific" technical guitars solos but the choruses and the voice of Søren Nico Adamsen can sound "too nice" sometime. I liked the album and I like to listen to it but on the other hand I love to listen to violent and naughty Thrash and When Death Comes is not in this category. I'm quite sure actually that fans of Heavy Metal and "melodic" Thrash a la Annihilator or even Testament (with their most commercial songs only) will like the release. After all "When Death Comes" with its frenetic tempo and big riff is cool right? Well OK the chorus is a bit "pop" but the riff is cool! Same with "Delusions Of Grandeur" which is a really nice catchy song but which is quite accessible and commercial too... You see what I mean, all that is not bad, at the opposite, but if you're looking for evilness When Death Comes is just not for you!

As you know now, When Death Comes is not a violent album but more a "pop" Thrash one (like the last Annihilator). But it's good to see that the band is able to do a real come back, a lot better than with B.A.C.K. The guys play perfectly well and Søren Nico Adamsen is still a good singer (but more a Heavy Metal singer than a real Thrasher if you see what I mean). The production is also really good and I like the cover, which is absolutely cliché but perfect in the genre and really cool in the end!

I think that When Death Comes is just a polemical album. No, this is not pure Thrash but this is good nonetheless! The thrasher who is in me wouldn't rate it to the maximum but the heavy metal fan who is in me liked it a lot (and would give a lot more!!!). All in all, this is just a matter of taste but if you like Thrashy Heavy Metal or melodic Thrash (as you want...) this release is just great! The other ones who want true Thrash will still enjoy the release, but yes, they won't say that its perfect! Ho well, let's stop this little battle, When Death Comes is full of good catchy melodies, and will give you a smile. After all this is not so bad!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 04.08.2009

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 255 users
04.08.2009 - 22:21
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
It's certainly very enjoyable with numerous riffs and melodies although i still prefer By inheritance
05.08.2009 - 01:36
Rating: 9
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Yes, it's very melodic, but I like it
----
loves 小巫
05.08.2009 - 19:40
Rating: 8
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
The riffs are crazy, but yes the vocals are a bit too melodic. It's still good though, very good.
----
THRASH!!!
08.08.2009 - 10:55
Rating: 9
In Bone Factory

Good stuff in lack of pure thrash nowadays.
----
The End Is Nigh ...
10.08.2009 - 14:39
Baz Anderson

Well I'm a big Artillery fan from their oldest three albums. I really like this album though - my only problem I have with it is that the vocals aren't as crazy and bombastic as the guy they had on the first albums.
Great album though, really good.
21.08.2009 - 07:34
Murder

Written by Baz Anderson on 10.08.2009 at 14:39

Well I'm a big Artillery fan from their oldest three albums. I really like this album though - my only problem I have with it is that the vocals aren't as crazy and bombastic as the guy they had on the first albums.
Great album though, really good.

agree with Baz, anyway this album is fucking amazing, I bought it today and wow... it's really good

pure thrash ^^
23.08.2009 - 00:45
selken
Irreligious
Dudes, I got a question??

When you say it's melodic, I have to expect something like Kreator's Enemy of God (which is the the best melodic thrash albumo IMO)?? or something softer??
----
23.08.2009 - 08:57
Rating: 6
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by selken on 23.08.2009 at 00:45

Dudes, I got a question??

When you say it's melodic, I have to expect something like Kreator's Enemy of God (which is the the best melodic thrash albumo IMO)?? or something softer??

I'd say a bit more melodic.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
09.11.2009 - 08:16
Rating: 7
GamlaSonn

Reminds me of Painkiller

Anyone?
19.11.2009 - 18:38
Thrasholico

My favorites When death comes Sandbox Philosophy Chaos Ride Upon My Cross I Crawl btw kickass album fron this danish band
----
Bang Bang it must never end
This way is only our chance
Die in blood and pain tonight
Never ends the metal fight
Thrash 'Till Death
19.11.2009 - 20:08
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I liked the album, but not that much. I give it a 7. Blood Tsunami is much better IMO.
----
Brujerizmo!
30.11.2009 - 06:32
Rating: 6
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I don't understand the praise for this album. I listened to it the other day and found it mostly annoying - like a much worse version of Onslaught's Killing Peace.
30.11.2009 - 11:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Dangerboner on 30.11.2009 at 06:32

I don't understand the praise for this album. I listened to it the other day and found it mostly annoying - like a much worse version of Onslaught's Killing Peace.

Totally agreed.
I will stick to the first four Artillery albums instead. This one is annoying, pointless, pedestrian.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 7369 | This month: 7