05. Chrome Division
06. Here Comes Another One
07. 1st Regiment
08. Breath Easy
09. The Angel Falls
10. Till The break Of Dawn
11. We Want More
12. When The Shit Hits The Fan

Who doesn't like Motörhead? Seriously. Over the years it seems musicians from all corners of rock 'n roll have paid tribute to the godfather of heavy metal - from punk rockers to black metallers and everyone in between. This is an album recorded by an odd combination of musicians paying obvious homage to the career of Lemmy Kilmister.

Now first things first - Chrome Division has probably received the attention it has simply because Dimmu Borgir front man Shagrath has his name attached to it. Be forewarned - this album is not black metal, not in the slightest. Having an album that celebrates the whole biker sub-culture image brings both good points and setbacks. The album is based around greasy, bad-ass sounding riffs, great grooves and driving rhythms. Considering that was what it appeared they were aiming for, you could say the album is a success. The first 4 tracks are almost the epitome of heavy metal, songs that could give their blatant heroes a run for their money. If you aren't looking for any thought-stimulating listening experience then this album is a perfect choice; nothing too complex, just in-your-face riffs, with some cheesy bad-boy vocals & lyrics laid over top. A suitable soundtrack for a night of cheap whiskey and starting bar fights at your local pool hall.

Unfortunately Doomsday Rock N Roll progressively grows more and more stale in the second half. The song writing begins sounding really tired, and the whole thing just starts to lack the power the first few tracks have. Although Eddie Guz's vocals are probably the most appropriate match for the music, the whole super-masculinity sound tends to become pretty laughable by the time "Breath Easy" comes on. On top of all this, the whole mix of the album seems a bit muffled, with the guitars and vocals covering up most of the bass and drums throughout. The production sounds fairly sloppy and the album definitely could have benefited from some better mixing.

As fun as most of the riffs and chorus' are in Doomsday Rock N Roll, the whole thing just comes across as a little to contrived and derivative to be considered anything better than just "OK".

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written by Doc G. | 06.08.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 48 users
07.08.2009 - 18:43
Rating: 7
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Well now I get to comment on your review
I agree with what your saying here. the only song I can really remember off of this album is Serial Killer (probably there best song though). I gave it a similar rating as well. Slightly entertaining but nothing all that special.
24.02.2015 - 06:24
Magnus2015

Breath of fresh air....who doesn't like grooving, rocking, metal?? Forget about old comparison's that will be memories and embrace the new charge/energy this brings....influenced yes, but well done on most of Chrome Division's album's. Obviously not musicians on the previous comment's.
25.02.2015 - 02:24
Rating: 6
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by deadone on 24.02.2015 at 06:52

Written by Magnus2015 on 24.02.2015 at 06:24

Obviously not musicians on the previous comment's.

How elitist.

The part about that comment that baffles me is why musicianship/being a musician is even brought up here. If this was a prog album or something I could understand, but c'mon, Chrome Division isn't exactly pushing the boundaries of musicianship.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin

Hits total: 3580 | This month: 11