Metal Storm logo
Protest the Hero

Original post

Posted by MeloDeathViking, 13.08.2009 - 18:53
Protst the Hero is a progressive metalcore band. Their first full-length, Kezia, shows a lot of its hardcore roots, such as a heavy use of gang vocals. There progressive side shines through on wild song structures that take you from fast paced/harsh vocal sections and slam you face first into slow paced piano sections. Their second full-length, Fortress, is a much more mature album and lets the metal side of things take over a bit more, all the while, still retaining the same take on song structures that made the first album a great listen. On both albums, most of their vocals are clean and very melodic, mixing in the occasional harsh vocals when necessary. Most songs on both albums, are very fast paced for the most part. Fortress shows a band growing and a band with a lot of promise. Their new live album will be released this fall, I am interested in seeing how these songs transfer over into a live setting. What does everyone else think?
20.01.2011 - 22:44
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by K✞ulu on 18.01.2011 at 19:05

New album on March 22!!!

Gosh, I am stoked!

Excellent! Just another reason 2011 is shaping up to be a great year. A lot of good releases on the horizon...any samples from this upcoming album yet?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.01.2011 - 23:59
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Doc G. on 20.01.2011 at 22:44

New album on March 22!!!

Gosh, I am stoked!

Excellent! Just another reason 2011 is shaping up to be a great year. A lot of good releases on the horizon...any samples from this upcoming album yet?

well, no samples yet, but I am bit worried that after the awesomeness of Kezia and Fortess, they just won't be able to impress as much again. Let's see.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
26.01.2011 - 15:04
MeloDeathViking
Written by K✞ulu on 20.01.2011 at 23:59

Written by Doc G. on 20.01.2011 at 22:44

New album on March 22!!!

Gosh, I am stoked!

well, no samples yet, but I am bit worried that after the awesomeness of Kezia and Fortess, they just won't be able to impress as much again. Let's see.

I watched the one studio video they had up and in it you can here small bits and pieces of the album. Some of it sounded similar to fortress and other stuff sounded different. I have a feeling it's gonna be an awesome album. Oh, they also brough back female vocals for the album.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
27.01.2011 - 06:59
PrimalAntagonist
Account deleted
Mathcore/Prog-metalcore is one of my fav genres ever!!!!!!! so sure as hell i will be checking out their latest record..........
01.02.2011 - 02:31
Concr3t3
Protest The Hero is taking TesseracT on tour with them and if you haven't heard TesseracT, definitely check them out. One of the better bands from that new Djent movement. Kinda like Periphery and Animals As Leaders.
----
Under The Stone
03.02.2011 - 21:15
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
15.04.2011 - 18:14
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
I discovered Protest The Hero recently and I must say I'm loving it.

I guess I do always seem to relate to anything that has some element of prog and this is actually good.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
15.04.2011 - 23:35
hailthecrisis
New album is stellar. Seeing them in a couple weeks. Should be a killer show.

I still remember years ago seeing them open for Boys Night Out and The Fullblast. Oh how far they have come.
16.04.2011 - 00:24
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by hailthecrisis on 15.04.2011 at 23:35

I still remember years ago seeing them open for Boys Night Out and The Fullblast. Oh how far they have come.

True. New album is one of the best of the year for me so far.
----

My Instagram
16.04.2011 - 18:55
MeloDeathViking
Written by BloodTears on 16.04.2011 at 00:24

It's definitely a top 5 album for me right now. At first I was disappointed with it and didn't like it as much as Fortress. The more I listened to it though the more I've come to love it. I think it might be my favorite PTH album now. The fact that Chris Hanna does guest vocals on the album is totally awesome for me since he's the lead singer of one of my favorite non-metal bands! It's cool to see two of my favorite collaborate like that.
----
16.04.2011 - 19:17
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by MeloDeathViking on 16.04.2011 at 18:55

It's definitely a top 5 album for me right now. At first I was disappointed with it and didn't like it as much as Fortress. The more I listened to it though the more I've come to love it. I think it might be my favorite PTH album now. The fact that Chris Hanna does guest vocals on the album is totally awesome for me since he's the lead singer of one of my favorite non-metal bands! It's cool to see two of my favorite collaborate like that.

The same happened to me. I wasn't loving it at first. But I think it was because of the layers that started to reveal themselves with continuous listens. It's always like that with good prog, the best comes later, I find.
----

My Instagram
17.04.2011 - 02:56
MeloDeathViking
Written by BloodTears on 16.04.2011 at 19:17

The same happened to me. I wasn't loving it at first. But I think it was because of the layers that started to reveal themselves with continuous listens. It's always like that with good prog, the best comes later, I find.

That's exactly it. I've listened to the album dozens of times, and every time i listen to it I feel like I discover something new.
----
17.04.2011 - 17:05
hailthecrisis
Written by MeloDeathViking on 17.04.2011 at 02:56

Written by BloodTears on 16.04.2011 at 19:17

That's exactly it. I've listened to the album dozens of times, and every time i listen to it I feel like I discover something new.

I feel like I am kicking a dead horse here, but this album is definitely more of a grower then their previous ones. After a couple spins, it's almost surpassing Fortress and Kezia though.
30.08.2011 - 18:43
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Any idea if they have an European tour anytime soon?
----

My Instagram
31.08.2011 - 19:12
MeloDeathViking
Written by BloodTears on 30.08.2011 at 18:43

I check for news from them pretty often and haven't heard anything about a European tour yet. I would suspect they would at some point, but the label they're on is pretty small compared to some of the other ones out there. The only downside is I haven't really seen any of the bands on that label dong European tours in recent years...
----
31.08.2011 - 20:09
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by MeloDeathViking on 31.08.2011 at 19:12

Written by BloodTears on 30.08.2011 at 18:43

I check for news from them pretty often and haven't heard anything about a European tour yet. I would suspect they would at some point, but the label they're on is pretty small compared to some of the other ones out there. The only downside is I haven't really seen any of the bands on that label dong European tours in recent years...

That was what I was worried about. I haven't seen anything from them on Europe lately and I would love to see them tour here with the new record.
Maybe someday, soon...
----

My Instagram
24.09.2012 - 05:47
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
In my top 5 favourite bands, Rody's a monster behind the mic, haven't made a bad album yet.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.10.2012 - 21:25
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Curious to see what they do next. It'll probably be a while though.
----

My Instagram