Metal Storm logo
Protest the Hero

13.08.2009 - 18:53
MeloDeathViking
Protst the Hero is a progressive metalcore band. Their first full-length, Kezia, shows a lot of its hardcore roots, such as a heavy use of gang vocals. There progressive side shines through on wild song structures that take you from fast paced/harsh vocal sections and slam you face first into slow paced piano sections. Their second full-length, Fortress, is a much more mature album and lets the metal side of things take over a bit more, all the while, still retaining the same take on song structures that made the first album a great listen. On both albums, most of their vocals are clean and very melodic, mixing in the occasional harsh vocals when necessary. Most songs on both albums, are very fast paced for the most part. Fortress shows a band growing and a band with a lot of promise. Their new live album will be released this fall, I am interested in seeing how these songs transfer over into a live setting. What does everyone else think?
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
13.08.2009 - 21:49
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Well, I think this is an amazing band. Some of the best modern metal musicians they are for sure. And now that you mentioned the live album, I am looking forward to hearing it too.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
17.08.2009 - 18:35
dEAthB3D
Yep i think this band is amazing the guitarworks and the bass are great, the lyrics and vocals are also great....

i'm looking forward for their liva album, hope it'll be as great as the studio album
----
the ultimate use of treason is the treacherous use of reason
18.08.2009 - 20:28
MeloDeathViking
Written by K✞ulu on 13.08.2009 at 21:49

Well, I think this is an amazing band. Some of the best modern metal musicians they are for sure. And now that you mentioned the live album, I am looking forward to hearing too.

Yeah, between these guys and Between the Buried and Me, modern metal definitly has a bright future. I'm really looking forward to BTBAM new album in October. Hopefully PTH will put out a new studio in the next year or two.
----
18.08.2009 - 20:45
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by MeloDeathViking on 18.08.2009 at 20:28

Well, I think this is an amazing band. Some of the best modern metal musicians they are for sure. And now that you mentioned the live album, I am looking forward to hearing too.

Yeah, between these guys and Between the Buried and Me, modern metal definitly has a bright future. I'm really looking forward to BTBAM new album in October. Hopefully PTH will put out a new studio in the next year or two.

I listened to Colors a few times, but that album didn't do anything for me. Maybe need to listen more to it (I heard many famous musicians found it great). By the way another decent metalcore band has emerged recently called Sylosis. Their last year's debut Conclusion of an Age is rather good (first several listens very boring though).
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

18.08.2009 - 22:08
MeloDeathViking
Written by K✞ulu on 18.08.2009 at 20:45

I listened to Colors a few times, but that album didn't do anything for me. Maybe need to listen more it (I heard many famous musicians found it great). By the way another decent metalcore band has emerged recently called Sylosis. Their last year's debut Conclusion of an Age is rather good (first several listen very boring though).

Colors might just not be for you. I'll have to check them out, read up on Conclusion of an Age and it definetly sounds interesting.
----
21.08.2009 - 21:41
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite

another decent metalcore band has emerged recently called Sylosis. Their last year's debut Conclusion of an Age is rather good (first several listen very boring though).
Really? I listened to it a few times and I thought they were boring too... maybe I'll give them a couple more chances.

Anyway, I finally got around listening to "Fortress" and good grief! It's one hell of an album
Melodic souding, really fast paced, complex progressions, varied vocals etc.
Great band indeed
----
loves 小巫
21.08.2009 - 23:16
MeloDeathViking
Written by Ag Fox on 21.08.2009 at 21:41

another decent metalcore band has emerged recently called Sylosis. Their last year's debut Conclusion of an Age is rather good (first several listen very boring though).
Really? I listened to it a few times and I thought they were boring too... maybe I'll give them a couple more chances.

Anyway, I finally got around listening to "Fortress" and good grief! It's one hell of an album
Melodic souding, really fast paced, complex progressions, varied vocals etc.
Great band indeed

Now that you know you like these guys, I'll be intrested to see if you find Colors from Between the Buried and Mt to be a good album as well. For me, those two albums set the standard for modern metal.
----
22.08.2009 - 14:05
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
A little more off-topicness. I don' really consider Colors to be Metalcore at all. While Protest The Hero's music is of course not plain Metalcore, but Colors is just form a different planet.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

22.08.2009 - 16:20
MeloDeathViking
Written by K✞ulu on 22.08.2009 at 14:05

A little more off-topicness. I don' really consider Colors to be Metalcore at all. While Protest The Hero's music is of course not plain Metalcore, but Colors is just form a different planet.

Haha, yeah, I can see that. I can definitly still hear the metalcore incfluences from Alaska and its predocessors, but I can see where you're coming from. There is just so much going on in the album that it's hard to label it at all.
----
18.09.2009 - 22:16
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
So I listened to the live album, and it's kinda meh. The guitarists did a pretty good job; Rody Walker though could do better I think, and his jokes and speeches were rather dumb. I reckon they will grow to make more mature performances. Also the production could be a bit better I think.

EDIT. Watching live performance on DVD is much cooler though. The way Luke plays is just amazing.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

29.09.2009 - 18:21
MeloDeathViking
Written by K✞ulu on 18.09.2009 at 22:16

So I listened to the live album, and it's kinda meh. The guitarists did a pretty good job; Rody Walker though could do better I think, and his jokes and speeches were rather dumb. I reckon they will grow to make more mature performances. Also the production could be a bit better I think.

EDIT. Watching live performance on DVD is much cooler though. The way Luke plays is just amazing.

I agree with you completely about the live cd/dvd. I wish the bass was more audible, Arif is an amazing bassist and it's so hard to hear on the live and studio albums. I'm glad I pre-ordered tho. The t-shirt and signed poster are awesome!
----
01.10.2009 - 02:39
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Musically I think Protest the Hero are great...I mean their musicianship is nop notch, I dont always agree with the terrible core direction they go into but they are skilled, no doubt about that. If only they could get rid of the "I try to whine as much as Andres Friden" vocalist then I might actually try to listen to it again.
01.10.2009 - 16:39
MeloDeathViking
Written by Guest on 01.10.2009 at 02:39

Musically I think Protest the Hero are great...I mean their musicianship is nop notch, I dont always agree with the terrible core direction they go into but they are skilled, no doubt about that. If only they could get rid of the "I try to whine as much as Andres Friden" vocalist then I might actually try to listen to it again.

For me, the vocalist is one of the main reasons I love this band so much. He does such a wide range of this with his vocals, I love it!
----
05.11.2009 - 11:56
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
I met this band when I lived in the US, I saw them openning for Dragonforce (back when they were good) on the inhuman rampage tour, in Denver. Well I met the Bassist fucker likes to play barefoot so we called toesies or some shit like that, anyway he offered us weed, cool guy, then him and Sam totman started hitting on my friend while Herman drank coffee that he spilled all over the car. I dont know how they are now (dragonforce) I stop keeping up with them years ago!!! but they were humble and cool people at the time, despite my musical prefernece I´d like to chill with them again, but seems like its gonna be impossible now.
05.11.2009 - 17:53
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by MeloDeathViking on 01.10.2009 at 16:39

Written by Guest on 01.10.2009 at 02:39

For me, the vocalist is one of the main reasons I love this band so much. He does such a wide range of this with his vocals, I love it!

same here
----
loves 小巫
30.06.2010 - 14:16
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=7964123&blogId=535659480

It seems like they are going to start recording in August! Yay!

Can't wait to here the new album!

Listened Fortress today. Well, dudes, that's just a classic of modern music. Pure brilliance. So smart, so technical, so catchy and so diverse and even epic...
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

25.11.2010 - 10:21
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Speaking of which - any news on this upcoming album at all? If it's in the same ballpark as Fortress it's going to be solid.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.11.2010 - 20:15
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Doc G. on 25.11.2010 at 10:21

Speaking of which - any news on this upcoming album at all? If it's in the same ballpark as Fortress it's going to be solid.

The last time I checked there were just some stupid (and I mean stupid) studio reports, but while they don't really reflect their progress, it seems like they will finish recording soon. I really can't wait for their new album.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

03.12.2010 - 08:10
Man, PTH is a talented bunch of kids. I saw them open for DragonForce a few years back and was really impressed. Everything I've heard by them has been really good.
18.12.2010 - 11:33
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I hate them. They posted yet another stupid update with no clues on soon we'll the new album whatsoever. What a bunch of morons!

http://vimeo.com/17820844
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

30.12.2010 - 14:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
This band sounds like The Mars Volta playing metalcore. Damn impressive stuff indeed.
31.12.2010 - 20:13
Rebel Monster
Their musicianship is good.. but their clean vocalist is really bad and ruins everything
----
Bad English :p
02.01.2011 - 22:26
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Rebel Monster on 31.12.2010 at 20:13

Their musicianship is good.. but their clean vocalist is really bad and ruins everything

What is bad about the clean vocals? You don't like the style? I find the guy quite powerful.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

03.01.2011 - 10:49
Rebel Monster
Written by K✞ulu on 02.01.2011 at 22:26

What is bad about the clean vocals? You don't like the style? I find the guy quite powerful.

I have nothing against clean vocals..

But i can't stand when he hits the high tone's.. and when he use his clean vocals, he sounds like your average pop punk/post hardcore band singer, most of the time.. Imo
----
03.01.2011 - 11:23
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Rebel Monster on 03.01.2011 at 10:49

But i can't stand when he hits the high tone's.. and when he use his clean vocals, he sounds like your average pop punk/post hardcore band singer, most of the time.. Imo

I won't deny this, though I'll argue against "Most of the time". The phrase "most of the time" really has no bearing on PTH, because they really don't do anything "most of the time".
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.01.2011 - 11:31
Rebel Monster
Written by Doc G. on 03.01.2011 at 11:23

Written by Rebel Monster on 03.01.2011 at 10:49

I won't deny this, though I'll argue against "Most of the time". The phrase "most of the time" really has no bearing on PTH, because they really don't do anything "most of the time".

Of those 6-7 songs i have heard.. his clean vocals sounds like that.. most of time imo
----
03.01.2011 - 16:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
On the whole I'm also not a fan of the style of vocals presented in this band but I don't agree that they're the average you'd find (certainly not in pop-punk, not sure what pop-punk you'v been listening to). I'd say his range far exceeds what you'd usually find and for me a little hard graft and I found I could enjoy what he does with his voice.
14.01.2011 - 22:55
knotalint

Would you guys mind telling me what you think of Thy? [www.thymetal.com]
Dan Briggs myspaced us a few years ago and told us he was digging it..we're currently in the studio recording again but feedback would be awesome
18.01.2011 - 19:05
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
New album on March 22!!!

Gosh, I am stoked!
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner