03. A Message For Adriane
04. Never Meant To Break Your Heart
05. The Changing Of Times
06. Angel Below
07. The Best Of Me
08. Short Of Daybreak
09. Alone In December
10. 814 Stops Today

This review will be objective only to the extent that its author is, for the time being, and with circumstances permitting, embracing a nature in which there is no relativity. It is a nature in which one need not explain clearly what makes absolutely shitty music, shit. The lighthearted and nauseous be warned, there will be allusions to feces).

Overall just a piece of shit. This band shouldn't be allowed to play live nor should they be allowed within a two mile radius of any recording equipment. I'd give it a 0 or a negative score if I could. To make this review any longer would be a waste of time. But not a bigger waste of time than listening to the album is itself. So allow me to elaborate:

I went on a road trip recently with an old friend of mine and his emo girlfriend. Between this band, Bullet for my Valentine, and the apparent stupidity of mine that prevented the bringing of any one of my CDs along for the twelve hour car ride, I listened to this album from start to finish countless times too many (approximately 4, although 4 to the power of positive infinity would equal the amount of time that seemed to pass). Needless to say my grunts and gesticulations of torment did little to persuade the emo to turn off her music, otherwise I wouldn't be scarred enough to write a review for this package of cat piss drenched horse shit (really any farm or house animal can be substituted for cat and horse).

Underoath is a Christian emo band. Need I say more? The vocals are high pitched screamo screams and whiny clean vocals, all attempting to convey the same bourgeois feelings of malcontent regarding ex-girlfriends and, correct me if I am wrong, moms not buying leather interior for the new Lexus. The band members all look like they've stepped out of a Hot Topic, Zumiez, MTV, or Revolver Magazine advertisement. I understand that style is and should be largely irrelevant but one must question the underlying motivation to dress like the douche bags Underoath dresses like. Underoath is a band made out of plastic. They are a product molded of the same shit that gave us nu metal. Out of desperate attempts to tame metal by making it mainstream and accessible to the rich kid who asks for music only as long as he doesn't have to develop anything resembling taste, or think critically or analytically about it. Underoath is for the kid who likes his music loud, obnoxious, and devoid of anything resembling talent or musical power (a phenomenon of which I assume most people are well aware), we are left with talentless advertisements of musicians not musicians in essence.

The band is an insult to all who are fragile enough to be the sort of music/metal elitist that I am. I am not dismissing the band because they are Christian, nor am I because they dress like emos. It is the clear lack of effort (or perhaps talent) that leaves me befuddled. Why would someone record this? Even better, why would someone listen to this? The answer is about as depressing as the whiny music (or lack thereof). Underoath is not a real band of musicians. They are a boy band in essence. There is nothing enjoyable about seemingly random, and certainly sloppy guitar and drum work with emo screamo screams about emo and Christian things. It is this lack of aspects one can truly find enjoyable and or satisfying that makes Underoath anti-musicians. Relativity be damned, there is nothing to like about this album, nor is there anything to like about this band. That's an absolute.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 2
Songwriting: 2
Originality: 2
Production: 9

Written by wormdrink414 | 14.08.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 29   Visited by: 113 users
14.08.2009 - 04:53
Rating: 1
Wes

Awesome review, this stuff is absolute shit.
14.08.2009 - 07:34
Sunioj

Their later stuff is a lot better tbh.
16.08.2009 - 11:22
quirin

Convincing: I'll make sure never to listen to that.
17.08.2009 - 08:50
DayFly

I stopped reading the second time the reviewer ranted about emos. God, I'm so sick that metal is reduced to that nowadays.
18.08.2009 - 00:24
Feng

Written by DayFly on 17.08.2009 at 08:50

I stopped reading the second time the reviewer ranted about emos. God, I'm so sick that metal is reduced to that nowadays.

I know what you mean... feel the same way.
18.08.2009 - 02:13
wormdrink414

Let me point out the flaws in what you have just posted. To begin, by using the term "nowadays" you are implying that the sort of metalhead elitism that I attempted to employ for the sake of humor as much as for the sake of perceived truth, is a new phenomenon. Let me remind you that Glam metal and Nu Metal, as well as disco and rap (to name just a few genres) have all been the source of metalhead criticism and blind distaste for decades. Second to suggest that said metalhead elitism is something that serves to reduce a genre of music (an art really) is ludicrous. Not to mention the fact that 99-100 percent of emo bands are talentless husks of easily marketable whiny meat. Nevertheless, one has to respect the fact that musical tastes, ideologies, general dispositions, and socio-economic background might all play a role in determining a taste in music (this certainly applies to style more, for a response to music can only sometimes and then only weakly be feigned) and it is rather silly to discriminate based on any one of these factors. Instead, my review used the derogatory "emo" to label a type of music that is, ultimately, shitty. I did not mean to offend any emo people, just the type of music they (pre)tend like.
18.08.2009 - 08:24
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser

Agreed 100%.

90% of this review is just insulting "emo" or "emo" culture. Rarely do you discuss anything other than image in this review.

Quote:
I understand that style is and should be largely irrelevant but...

It is entirely irrelevant, please discuss more than 2 sentences on the music.

Quote:
the rich kid who asks for music only as long as he doesn't have to develop anything resembling taste

God forbid the mentioned rich kid actually enjoys the music, ignoring the poser stigma attached to it.

Quote:
Underoath is for the kid who likes his music loud, obnoxious, and devoid of anything resembling talent or musical power

"Power" is entirely subjective in music. Loud? Obnoxious? Please stop listening to metal now. As for the talent part, I'm listening to their myspace right now, I'm not going to say they're virtuosos by any stretch, but they're far from "devoid of talent", I can probably name 50 bands that have less skill but still create kickass music. Music is art, not sports. I hate the weight people put on technical skill.

Quote:
nor am I because they dress like emos...

Really? Because thats what the majority of your review was...that or generic insults that could be applied to pretty much anything if you just switch the name around.

I don't listen to this band, not really into the music, but this review was absolutely redundant. Sorry. It would have worked much better as just another bash-post in the forums rather than a full review...
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.08.2009 - 08:43
DayFly

You know, giving long winded answers why Emo sucks does not make you seem any smarter. The fact that you try to argue the point actually makes you look pretty dumb.
18.08.2009 - 10:04
wormdrink414

Written by DayFly on 18.08.2009 at 08:43

You know, giving long winded answers why Emo sucks does not make you seem any smarter. The fact that you try to argue the point actually makes you look pretty dumb.

Pointing out that "long-windedness" makes me "look" stupid (when in fact I have been told that my crossed-eyes make me look intelligent, in a French existentialist way I suppose) is entirely irrelevant. If you are interested in arguing on behalf of emo music I would be much obliged to "hear you out". With regards to my critique of the emo style I must ask if you are without a sense of humor. So, since you have enlightened me on the nature of intelligent appearances, allow me to do the same. You can not possibly approach all reviews with such a stern austerity. You mustn't expect a complete, thoughtful analysis of an album and a genre of music when reading a user review. I spend little or no time editing, surrendering fully to the muse to take me where she pleases (even when writing a review for a band I dislike). It is relatively easy for one to criticize someone else's arguments, and I have yet to read anything suggesting that you can argue for Underoath and not succumb to the general shallowness of my review. But, ultimately, I admire your concern for ze emo. However, I despise the belligerence with which you are approaching my review. I must ask, if the rhetoric I employed bothers you, why are you on METALstorm where the metalhead and his/her general disposition rules?
18.08.2009 - 10:07
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
What's the point in negatively reviewing this album on a metal site? To make the reviewer feel better about his mistaken purchase???

@Joose
18.08.2009 - 10:12
DayFly

It's pretty simple. There are types of music you like (or could like) and types of music music you don't like. And if I don't get a certain genre I damn well keep my mouth shut unless of course I come up with something humorous (which you most certainly did not).
18.08.2009 - 10:36
wormdrink414

Written by DayFly on 18.08.2009 at 10:12

There are types of music you like (or could like) and types of music music you don't like. And if I don't get a certain genre I damn well keep my mouth shut unless of course I come up with something humorous (which you most certainly did not).

So all genres of music are equal in that what makes them enjoyable is relative? If that is indeed the case there should be no foul in one attempting to, admittedly shallowly, articulate what he or she does not like about a certain album. Vocalizing opinion can spark discussion, thus leading to the type of debate that gives rise to the questions necessary to understand. My distaste for a certain genre in general should not suggest the sort of "wickedness" in character that you seem to be projecting into my review (let's not forget that it is a user review!), keep up with the review analysis and refrain from the ridiculous asides that, ironically, reflect the sort of dismissal of relativity that you seem to loathe.
18.08.2009 - 10:47
DayFly

Whatever. Trying to penetrate such a thick and wordy skull as yours is neither rewarding nor particularly interesting.
18.08.2009 - 10:52
wormdrink414

You know what they say about dudes with thick skulls.
18.08.2009 - 11:03
wormdrink414

Written by DayFly on 18.08.2009 at 10:47

Whatever. Trying to penetrate such a thick and wordy skull as yours is neither rewarding nor particularly interesting.

I was actually meaning to respond to Dr. Rock originally. It is to Dr. Rock whom I meant to address most of my comments. It was his careful analysis of my review that frustrated me most. So, for all of my persistent commenting, I apologize.

My arguments still stand though.
18.08.2009 - 11:38
wormdrink414

Written by Doc G. on 18.08.2009 at 08:24

I don't listen to this band, not really into the music, but this review was absolutely redundant. Sorry. It would have worked much better as just another bash-post in the forums rather than a full review...

Most of the comments with which I targeted Day Fly should have been aimed at you Dr. Rock. Your missing sense of humor (and the like) is what infuriated me to begin with. I invite you to read the comments above as a response to the "analysis" you posted for my review. Nevertheless I can not stress my admiration for the thought you clearly put into your response enough, for regarding my review all of your criticisms are valid. It was the amount of energy with which you dissected a user-review that seems unnecessary. How is it that you can expect thoughtful, infallible critiques of an album by a first time reviewer? On your "Power is subjective" comment, and many of the others that showed such an immense preoccupation with the importance of objectivity on determining a musical disposition, allow me to point to the beginning of the review where I made it clear that objectivity would be largely abandoned for the sake of . I'm sorry for making such a big deal out of all of this but the hour is late and I have no booze.
18.08.2009 - 11:56
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by wormdrink414 on 18.08.2009 at 11:38

Most of the comments with which I targeted Day Fly should have been aimed at you Dr. Rock. Your missing sense of humor (and the like) is what infuriated me to begin with. I invite you to read the comments above as a response to the "analysis" you posted for my review. Nevertheless I can not stress my admiration for the thought you clearly put into your response enough, for regarding my review all of your criticisms are valid. It was the amount of energy with which you dissected a user-review that seems unnecessary. How is it that you can expect thoughtful, infallible critiques of an album by a first time reviewer? On your "Power is subjective" comment, and many of the others that showed such an immense preoccupation with the importance of objectivity on determining a musical disposition, allow me to point to the beginning of the review where I made it clear that objectivity would be largely abandoned for the sake of . I'm sorry for making such a big deal out of all of this but the hour is late and I have no booze.

I forgot to laugh...emo jokes are pretty original though.

Subjectivity isn't simply black and white, there is different degrees of it, everything is relative. Power of the music depends solely on that of the listener. Where as things like originality, song structure, and production (while are still subjective to some degree) are still slightly more objective. Usually I have understanding of a first time reviewer, even I'll admit my first handful of reviews were not so good, but its the fact that you take an album from a genre you clearly dislike as a whole, and tear it apart for very little reason other than the fan base the band is associated with, or the way they dress. Critiquing an album should be an attempt at offering description, as well as a well explained opinion in the most unbiased manner possible.
----
- George Carlin
18.08.2009 - 21:53
wormdrink414

Written by Doc G. on 18.08.2009 at 11:56

Written by wormdrink414 on 18.08.2009 at 11:38

I forgot to laugh...emo jokes are pretty original though.

Subjectivity isn't simply black and white, there is different degrees of it, everything is relative. Power of the music depends solely on that of the listener. Where as things like originality, song structure, and production (while are still subjective to some degree) are still slightly more objective. Usually I have understanding of a first time reviewer, even I'll admit my first handful of reviews were not so good, but its the fact that you take an album from a genre you clearly dislike as a whole, and tear it apart for very little reason other than the fan base the band is associated with, or the way they dress. Critiquing an album should be an attempt at offering description, as well as a well explained opinion in the most unbiased manner.

Your review ideals are ridiculous. How is it that you can possibly expect such morality from user-reviewers? Your expectations are reasonable when approaching professionals and academics, not the obviously biased, relatively harmless reviews at which you "forg[e]t to laugh". Injustice be damned, your response to it, even in its most petty and meaningless form, is absurd. Nevertheless you are right. My defensiveness should make that clear. But, I am afraid that you have lost a reasonable perspective on these sorts of things.
19.08.2009 - 00:01
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by wormdrink414 on 18.08.2009 at 21:53

Your review ideals are ridiculous. How is it that you can possibly expect such morality from user-reviewers? Your expectations are reasonable when approaching professionals and academics, not the obviously biased, relatively harmless reviews at which you "forg[e]t to laugh". Injustice be damned, your response to it, even in its most petty and meaningless form, is absurd. Nevertheless you are right. My defensiveness should make that clear. But, I am afraid that you have lost a reasonable perspective on these sorts of things.

So your basically telling me I shouldn't expect any professionalism whatsoever because its a guest review?
----
- George Carlin
19.08.2009 - 00:56
Sunioj

Written by Dangerboner on 18.08.2009 at 10:07

What's the point in negatively reviewing this album on a metal site? To make the reviewer feel better about his mistaken purchase???

@Joose

Maybe it was published in an effort to make us stop listening to music that is loud and obnoxious. lol
19.08.2009 - 02:03
wormdrink414

Written by Doc G. on 19.08.2009 at 00:01

So your basically telling me I shouldn't expect any professionalism whatsoever because its a guest review?

Absolutely not. "Professionalism" should always be sought, but expecting a perfect review from non-professionals is absurd.
19.08.2009 - 02:21
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by wormdrink414 on 19.08.2009 at 02:03

Absolutely not. "Professionalism" should always be sought, but expecting a perfect review from non-professionals is absurd.

I was not saying I expected a perfect review, I don't think there is such a thing, but some professionalism is what separates reviews from bash-posts in the forum. This is more of one long bash-post than an actual review.
----
- George Carlin
19.08.2009 - 03:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
The only thing i took away from this review is the author is a moron for going on a 12 hour car ride without the foresight to bring a couple cd's from his personal stash to include in the rotation, never mind an iPod or walkman.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.08.2009 - 03:08
wormdrink414

Written by Doc G. on 19.08.2009 at 02:21

Written by wormdrink414 on 19.08.2009 at 02:03

I was not saying I expected a perfect review, I don't think there is such a thing, but some professionalism is what separates reviews from bash-posts in the forum. This is more of one long bash-post than an actual review.

My concept of a "perfect review" lies in an ideal author's intent, not in its rhetoric. The perfect album review embraces the subjectivity of one's response to music and yet seeks to objectively uncover that which makes the subject "good" or "bad". This should be sought by a reviewer, but when it is not attained one should carefully examine the context under which it, "imperfect" in its intent, has been published.

I don't believe the distinction between the review area and the forum area is an importantone but you have made your case and, ultimately, all the machine gun arguing in the world won't make my review a proper one.

In case you are wondering, I am submitting. I have had my share of fun arguing (if that label suits this sort of comment-off) and would bow if I had a larger, physical audience. Instead I will use a smiley face to demonstrate your victory (since I approach everything like the competitive American I am).
21.08.2009 - 22:40
chematss

I'd give it 3.5 and their later albums are even worse imo (Dallas vs Spencer)

and call me an idiot but I love 'When The Sun Sleeps' or at least I used to..
31.08.2009 - 07:40
Crème fraiche

I have some friends with some questionable taste in music too. Always remember your mp3player and headphones
31.08.2009 - 07:40
Crème fraiche

I have some friends with some questionable taste in music too. Always remember your mp3player and headphones
03.03.2021 - 07:52
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
There are so many classic posts like this on Metalstorm. I've been here for 12 years and I still find new ones I haven't seen before.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.05.2021 - 04:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Bit of a swing-and-miss situation for ol' Georgie here...

But it goes to show he was able to learn from the criticism and eventually go on to churn out some pretty solid reviews and refined his sense of humor accordingly.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 4591 | This month: 14