04. Neptune's Revenge
05. Stormy Dome
06. World of Madness
07. End of Trauma
08. Heal My Pain
09. Questions
10. The Key
11. Black Materia

Back in 2005, when I had to write the review of the first album of this progressive band from the south of France, I was already sure that the best was possible for them. Obviously, the band was good and its musicians full of talent, "Mental Torment" was maybe not perfect but it was easy to feel the potential of this young French combo. After two years, they're finally back now with their second release and even if they still play Prog Metal, I can tell you that it's a lot more direct and "in your face" as we say. No doubt, the quality of Spheric Universe Experience is still growing?

As always with Progressive Metal, the music of S.U.E. is an alteration of complex and technical guitars and keyboards soli with, strong guitars riffs and fast rhythms. It's complex and extremely technical but "Anima" is a lot more easy of access than the previous album. The guys (that I had the luck to interview this month) explained to me the other day that they wanted to do something a bit more melodic and more "Heavy Metal" in the spirit because they understood with time that it was not so easy for the audience to remember all their songs. They wanted something easier of access that the audience could sing during the live performance. And they managed to do it! Without removing the progressive parts in their music, they knew how to add catchy (but not commercial) melodic choruses. In the end, "Anima" is maybe not so complex than "Mental Torment" but it's a lot more catchy, and that's a great thing.

During 68 minutes of music, with eleven cool songs in English but with sentences in French, Italian, Spanish or even Japanese, S.U.E. manage to catch the attention of the listener. The songs are well done and well written and no doubt that they will stay in your head and maybe that I should compare them to the last Angra mixed with some technical Progresive acts. Honestly I had some good hopes for this band but they managed to confirm it with this album which is clearly better than the previous one.

The production is also better and the singer found the way to correct his strong French accent (and it's not easy for someone from the south of France? I can tell you why if you want ). All in all, even if "Anima" is not perfect and is not a masterpiece it's obvious that the band learned a lot of things since the last album and listened to the words that they received from their public, the press etc. It's extremely promising for the future of the combo.

If you like cool melodic and catchy Prog Metal, please have a look on this release. The album will be available all around the world so if you want to support a cool young combo, check their new release "Anima". Be sure that you'll have some good surprises, believe me, and really it's good to see that a band can improve if its members want to do it. This is a confirmation not, the perfection yet but the next album should be a real revelation.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 05.04.2007

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 39 users
21.08.2009 - 07:08
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Quote:
they wanted to do something a bit more melodic and more "Heavy Metal" in the spirit because they understood with time that it was not so easy for the audience to remember all their songs. They wanted something easier of access that the audience could sing during the live performance.

It really worked! This album was very much fun to listen. As you say, a cool melodic and catchy prog metal.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/

Hits total: 6112 | This month: 8