05. Lost
06. Spirit Hunter
07. Absolute Power
08. The Devil's Breath
09. Holograms
10. Blood Crusaders
11. Stratagem
12. Morning Star

Just like some (quality) albums, some (quality) reviews don't need a lot of unnecessary introduction. If mid-paced thrash is your thing, you're in for a real treat. If it isn't, you're most likely in for some serious musical mayhem, because mid-paced thrash is what The Devil's Breath is all about.

Today I'll be telling you the story of an underground gem finding its way to the surface - something I sincerely hope to happen. But first you need to know that Agony is a long-running metal band hailing from Colombia, and The Devil's Breath marks the band's third full-length release in their repertoire. This is also the first album featuring the band's new bassist Marcelo Dias, who played with Soulfly in another lifetime.
First impression of Agony is that of a band who sure likes to take its time: The Devil's Breath is only the band's first studio album in seven years. And hell, the pace on the album isn't exactly to be called lightning fast either. But don't let that fool you. Agony's way of bringing the thrash can be regarded as a school example of how you don't necessarily need to play ultra fast to sound ultra tight. Indeed, Agony is sounding wickedly catchy, yet sharp and on the edge... like a good thrash metal band ought to be. Heavy rhythm lines and harsh vocals give the album even more bite. A few subtle death metal touches sprinkled here and there make the album complete and ready for action.

The album is put together extremely well as all songs just fit greatly. And in the end this is exactly what keeps the record from getting boring and repetitive - something a lot of contemporary releases get really plagued with it seems. In like manner, the album is surprisingly consistent. I suspect Logan Mader's canny production has a hand in this (if you don't know who Logan Mader is, look it up). This is an album that will hit you in the face with the intensity of a hurricane - maybe not the fastest hurricane, yet you're still unmistakably hit by a hurricane. And isn't that something we're all looking for in our lives?

This relentless thrash attack is a real crush of an album. More than you would think actually. In fact, I kind of had a crush on The Devil's Breath the first few times I heard it. To me, The Devil's Breath is the love on first sight type of record, one could say. Problem with albums you instantly like is that the flaws and downsides stay longer in the dark. So I know I might be a bit blinded, but this is one fling I'll be sure to remember. I said fling for the reason that The Devil's Breath, with all the best intentions in the world, doesn't really have what it takes to be long-term material either. No need to make it a secret, I actually like this album. It's just that I'm not in like with it. Just enjoy the ride while it lasts is what this reviewer would say.

Written by Thryce | 27.08.2009

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 47 users
27.08.2009 - 09:52
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Checking this out. Thanx!
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
27.08.2009 - 16:43
nb

This is an interesting release by Agony, I have only heard it twice or so, but the sound is great and it has their trademark from the awesome first full lenght of theirs : Millenium (1996). If you can also get a hand on that release I highly recommend it, if you like things like Sepultura's Arise.
27.08.2009 - 23:00
tulkas
el parcero
Glad to see a Colombian band "starting" to make it out there, and being liked as well.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
15.10.2009 - 00:08
Rating: 7
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Won't say it's love at first sight for me, but definitely growing on me
----
loves 小巫

Hits total: 3457 | This month: 4