05. He Who Breeds Pestilence
06. The Seed Ov I
07. Alas, Lord Is Upon Me
08. Defiling Morality Ov Black God
09. Lucifer
10. Total Invasion [Killing Joke cover][iTunes bonus]

Disc II [bonus DVD]
01. Making Of Evangelion

Behemoth must now be Poland's biggest metal export as the band have rose to fame in the last decade. It was just five years ago when the band released Demigod when the band turned all ears towards them with a death metal album of such ferocity and intensity. Three years later comes The Apostasy, and right now we have the next demonic offering with Evangelion. Since the band grasped and shook the death metal scene with Demigod, not much has changed with the Behemoth's music. Each of these three albums almost a carbon copy of each other. The style and the performance of the music is just as vicious and violent while being executed with insane precision, and even the structure of the songs on the albums seems to be very similar as they always seem to build up to a final explosive surge, this time "Defiling Morality Ov Black God" being that track.

Evangelion is the most polished album Behemoth have put out to date, the production in particular is squeaky clean as you can clearly hear each manic blast and beat from the madman known as Inferno. The whole sound comes across sometimes as perhaps too clean, although a cleaner production is preferred when considering the complex and intricate nature of Behemoth's highly accurate music. It may be easy to become spoilt when it comes to death metal these days, but you must appreciate the skill it takes to put an album of such chaos together like this, let alone actually perform it to this standard.

As always the songs vary from mid-tempo pulverising pieces to ultra fast pulverising slabs of death metal, always with the balance towards the latter. Evangelion does not let up until the last track "Lucifer" when it comes to giving the listener an ear-full of carnage, by which time you have bared witness to the epic ending of "Alas, The Lord Is Upon Me" which leads to the previously mentioned mental health patient of a track "Defiling Morality Ov Black God". Behemoth would not be what it is without the assault and battery of the presumably human Inferno.

Three albums since the world heard Demigod, and three albums of a technical and talented display of death metal. Isn't it about time Behemoth reached into its hat and pulled out something risky for a change? Even if the physical performances of the band have far surpassed all of the previous Behemoth albums, Evangelion may be angelic in the world of death metal, but we have heard this all before. Now we know just what the band can do performance-wise, it is time for them to show us something just as groundbreaking creative-wise.

-

Death metal
Nuclear Blast
Poland
Length: 41:54

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 27.08.2009 by Member of Staff since 2006

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Oedipus complexes. That's what Evangelion is all about. Pure, unadulterated Oedipus complexes. Few albums can even come close to the world-shattering impact that Evangelion had on its release, a slapdash, last-ditch effort from a money-hemorrhaging band that somehow turned around its career and rocketed to stardom as the most iconic album of its decade, one of the most influential albums of all time. Behemoth's creations transcend not only metal, but art itself. This is the language of a really miserable, screwed-up soul with a lot of serious, deep-seated issues that someone ought to talk about.

Read more ››
published 01.04.2018 | Comments (6)

Comments

Comments: 40   Visited by: 487 users
27.08.2009 - 18:08
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
It's weird. I somehow like all of their post-Thelema.6 albums, yet I can't actually construct an argument as to why. They all sound the same, they're all too polished, and it seems uninspired at times, as if the band members are just showing us how good with their instruments they are as opposed to how much they enjoy writing music. Yet I rate them all on this site with an 8 or 9. They just sound good I guess. Hopefully this album brings SOMETHING new to the table, but at the same time I hope they just shelled out yet another amazingly unoriginal death metal "masterpiece". Great review. I've heard mixed views, and this brought a lot of pros and cons to the forefront.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.08.2009 - 19:00
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I understand where you are coming from, KJ. if anything it's an appreciation for the quality of the musicianship of Team Behemoth. you listen to the album and you realize they are incredibly skilled and have clearly put a lot of time and effort into the music.

on the other hand, they aren't really pushing any envelopes or anything. they've taken the familiar and made it better.

it's ridiculously well executed modern death metal. nothing more, nothing less.

i think Pyro said it best in the band thread... something to the effect of 'i listen to it and it rocks, but 30 minutes after i'm done, i can't really remember much of anything.'

good review, good album overall, but i think the band could do better.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.08.2009 - 19:07
Rating: 7
Rupert

"Behemoth would not be what it is without the assault and battery of the presumably human Inferno."

That statement made me laugh pretty good. But you're right Baz, it's about time they take a risk or two.
27.08.2009 - 19:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I listened to the album and I agree. The performance is fukcing insane. But jsut like you said, it's just like the previous two albums only better in the performance. This dudes have to take a few risks.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.08.2009 - 21:21
Rating: 6
Elio
Red Nightmare
This album has totally nothing to offer, sometimes performance is not enough.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
27.08.2009 - 22:18
Rating: 9
Carrion Misery

Evangelion has really blown me away. The toms are so thick and towering. With most bands that I like, I just say the next album is a continuation of their story. I do think Evangelion is much more polished than the rest. Excellent album that won't leave my play list for quite some time.
----
? Carrion Misery
www.mournspire.com | Two-Man Death Doom Project
Full album streaming
27.08.2009 - 22:23
Got Mayhem?

I agree about the performance being almost inhuman (especially Inferno) and I also agree that this album is demonic chaos that is packaged, polished, and then thrust down the listeners throat. I disagree with this album being similar to Demigod however. Demigod was catchy and more simplistic. Apostasy was a bit more complex and got farther away from the catchy riffs. Evangelion is even more complex musically and is overall much less catchy.

Basically I do think that they are evolving musically within Death metal, its just a bit hard to see. Great album, i would give it a 9.
----
27.08.2009 - 22:50
terrorist

Well the performance is good we had no doubt abouth that but the originality is very low.I don't know,the way i feel Apostasy and Damigod is way more diffrent than Evangelion and i think this album could have been much better.

As for Inferno hm...is he getting faster on every album???heheh
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
27.08.2009 - 23:29
ioannisk

My rate was also 8/10! the sound of the drums is HUGE! GREAT production and GREAT musicianship! maybe a little tiring after a while but it's worth it! the first track is mindblowing!
28.08.2009 - 01:27
Rating: 4
enumaelis

I am a bit dissapointed with this album They should rest some time and get some fresh ideas in my opinion. I couldnt find many good riffs in this new one but old ones re-constructed, and voice should be not so over the rest of instruments, I think.
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
28.08.2009 - 04:25
wormdrink414

It feels a lot like Thelema to me. Despite the evident advances in production (depending on whether or not you like the "organic" feel The Apostasy had), Evangelion has a really raw quality to it. It does lack the certain riff-centrism that made me fall in love with Demigod and The Apostasy. Nevertheless, I give it a 9. "Transmigrating Beyond Realms ov Amenti" is destined to be a Behemoth classic I think.
28.08.2009 - 05:42
DoomGuard

You guys are always wanting wanting wanting

I haven't tried this album but my friends say its great. Their previous albums are great n I'm sure this one is just as great
28.08.2009 - 05:55
Rating: 6
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Yeah, you are always wanting wanting wanting hehe, but that is comprehensible knowing that Behemoth are an international quality band, they are not beginners, so maybe they need to take risks as someone said. Still, talking about Death Metal, they know how to deliver the goods and stay loyal to their roots. A good album indeed. Good review BTW (presumably human hahaha).
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
28.08.2009 - 06:59
Sunioj

Yeah, this is a great album. In fact, I like it a lot more than The Apostasy (which I thought had really ball-less production). It's brutal, it's epic, and the sound is just perfect - crystal clear production. Of course, it's not perfect due to its unvaried songwriting, but rather it is simply a solid album.
28.08.2009 - 08:57
Rating: 10
Chriss26

Evangelion = Majesty !
Although Apostasy is more "touchy" but i think Evangelion is fucking GREAT !
speaking about inferno , hehe well he seems to get faster and faster and faster ! great drummer , great band ! Fucking BEHEMOTH !
28.08.2009 - 13:05
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
After years following Behemoth and seeing them surpass themselves in almost every new album, I think this is the first time they've actually totally stopped evolving, this is like the B-side of The Apostasy. It's not bad, and, yes, the performances are very good, and yes, Inferno is still the best drummer ever, but it's certainly not the masterpiece that Thelema.6, ZKC or Demigod were.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
29.08.2009 - 18:19
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I don't know... if it isn't better than Demigod then I'm not in much of a rush to hear the album. I know the standards are a little harsh but if it's similar to their two previous works like people say it is, then I'm not that interested.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
29.08.2009 - 18:45
Eddie Misery

Evangelion is, no doubt, an absolutely brutal album. And I agree that yes it is very polished, and while I like that Behemoth has yet again done what they do best, I wouldn't mind seeing something a bit riskier myself. But that's really just out of sheer curiousity. Since we know what they can already do, and how well they already do it, it would be interesting to see what else they could could make out of it by changing something. On the other hand, I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping just one solid, directed motion either, and if tomorrow Behemoth released a "part II" to Evangelion that complimented the original, I'd still buy it and no doubt love it.

One thing I can say for sure...if Behemoth WERE to try something more risky, i.e. some kind of stylistic change even if it were minor, you would see floods of people pouring in, griping about how it's "not as good as their old material!" or "I don't know what this really means but they're sellouts!" And then of course you have the totally jaded listeners who are absolutely impressed with nothing. The reactions would just be interesting in and of themselves.

Behemoth kicks ass, and I think this is probably the most sensible and accurate review I've read lately. Evangelion fits right in, and Behemoth deserves to have such clarity and high production on an album. I love it.
30.08.2009 - 17:57
skrätte
I Hate You
I have to agree with Eddie Misery on the point that if Behemoth DID make even a minor stylistic change, you'd see a bunch of griping about how Behemoth is making less-than-quality material and/or how they've sold out.

Here's the thing, for me personally: Evangelion is fucking brutal. I like it better than Demigod and The Apostasy. The drums are absolutely insane. The video for Ov Fire And The Void is awesome.. and that song is, in my opinion, one of the best on the album.

I've listened to this album many, many times since its release. I am far from sick of it and, in fact, sometimes find myself craving a listen. I can say, with all honestly, that this is, so far, one of my personal Top Albums of the Year. It's not a groundbreaking album.. but it's Behemoth, and since 2004, they've been at the top of their game. A "usual" album from Behemoth still kicks the ass of much of the other crap out there.

Also, great review. I'd say you hit the nail on the head, here.
----
30.08.2009 - 18:09
Baz Anderson

Thanks a lot guys, glad to see you agree.
31.08.2009 - 02:08
Rating: 10
Sacred Viking

10/10 hehehe
02.09.2009 - 17:25
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I listened to this album today for the first time. I need more listens but my first impression was good. I like the slow built of some songs and I'm not contaminated by their other releases so that might explain why I'm not finding it boring like some people do.

I only have Dmigod and I lost that CD somewhere lol
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
02.09.2009 - 19:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by BloodTears on 02.09.2009 at 17:25

so that might explain why I'm not finding it boring like some people do.

That's the thing... None really think it's boring. It's fast, brutal, technical and... Exactly the same music that came in The Apostasy and Demigod. That's the thing that most of the people here [me too] think.
This album has a hell of a performance and musical writing, but that's it... Nothing to offer in the end.
Like Pyroleprechaun said in the thread: I remember liking it, but not able to remember it.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.09.2009 - 18:41
TheBigRossowski

Yeah, it is a great album, but it is in the same direction as the others. It's definitely better than The Apostasy though... anyways, it sounds a lot harder than Apostasy.

For Nergal, it's more about the message. He loves his music and they're all damn good at it, but for him personally, it seems about getting out his message.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
11.09.2009 - 15:35
BudDa

Why take the risk if u can still produce something as awesome as Evagelion! Simply put, for me, its the death metal release of the year yet!:banger2:

dddddrrrrrrrrrrr..*cymbals, cymbals*...dddddrrrrrrrrr..*cymbals, cymbals*:shit:
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
14.09.2009 - 11:36
Tatras

Like for me best Death Metal album of 2009... Cannibal Corpse is good... but like always nothing special. Suffocation album little bit to boring... Vader good to, but like for me it is nothing agains Evangelion. I am only waiting for new Nile album that maybe can top Evfangelion...
14.09.2009 - 20:30
arj

Very good review. I really liked the album
19.10.2009 - 02:02
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Good review, it really points out what's wrong with Behemoth these days. I think they have the same problem Children Of Bodom has been struggling with for some years, now: a lot of showoff and no imagination... Fortunately, Behemoth haven't turned into girly shit yet, my eardrums bleed every time I listen to one of their 3 last albums.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
05.11.2009 - 06:22
Lord TJ

I havent listened to all their songs from this album yet. I hadnt realized that I downloaded this and was synced to my Ipod, I listened to Daimonos and was impressed. Im not sure why, but Behemoth just does it for me.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
09.11.2009 - 20:24
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Yeah, its quite similar to the two previous albums, but its not a problem (althou I find this one the worst of the three).

The production is perfect, the heretic/oriental thematic is also in good hands.

Just forgot to mention that ''Shemhamforash'' is simply the best song of the album. The ''pulverising pieces to ultra fast pulverising slabs of death metal,'' in best performance.. Slaves Shall Serve style. Very nice.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/

Hits total: 13205 | This month: 18