Metal Storm logo
Which albums mean the most to you?

Original post

Posted by Warman, 19.07.2006 - 21:14
By this I do not mean your favorite albums, what I wanna know is which albums are most important, dearest or means the most to you. It could be the album that got you into metal, the album that changed everything you thought you knew about music, the album someone you like gave to you and of course, it can also be your favorite album.

My list:

Metallica - Master of Puppets, Metallica, Load, ReLoad, S&M
MoP has been my favourite song ever since I first heard it when I was 12. That album changed my life and fully got me into Metal, it made me know that Metal is everything for me. The Black Album was a very early album for me, helped me got into the genre and was the second album I bought. The two follow-ups are maybe not the best albums ever but when my family went to Greece and drove around the country in a car my mom had a walkman and a tape with those two albums on, which she gave me. I listened to it and loved it and this was before I got into Metal. S&M was my first live album and I'm such a sucker for both Metallica live and orchestras.

Iron Maiden - Dance of Death, Brave New World, Rock in Rio, Somewhere in Time, Killers
DoD was the very first album I bought. BNW and RiR was the first Metal I liked, the first step to a Metalhead. SiT was one of my first albums and Killers... well, it's such a magical album which was there for me many times.

Children Of Bodom - First four studio albums
All their first four albums helped me become a Metalhead and appreciate more extreme metal. These albums are classics to me and this band means so much for me.

These three bands and their albums are listed first for many reasons. They remind me of a much easier and happier time in my life. But the main reason is because they were the only, and I mean ONLY Metal, I listened too for like 4 years! I thought it didn't exist any more good bands, seriously. But then this band came:

Norther - Dreams of Endless War
Since I heard that these guys would sound like CoB there was no doubt if I should get an album. So I bought DoEW and it changed everything. It made me realise that there exist more bands and so much better Metal out there!

I guess that Norther really helped me become the person I am today, or maybe the Metalhead I am today.
Now the list goes on without any special order.

Dream Theater Images and Words, Metropolis Pt 2: Scene from a Memory
These albums made me see that Metal has so much to offer. DT played music and made me feel in a way I didn't thought was possible.

Cradle Of Filth Damnation and a Day
Because this one made me get into Black Metal. (Don't cry all Black Metal fanboys, I know it's not a Black album... at all )

Nightwish Oceanborn, Wishmaster
Got me into female vocals.
11.06.2012 - 16:57
Infernal Eternal

Obscura-Omnivium, I just love the drumming of this album.
Blind Guardian-Tales From The Twilight World, I just love the album's atmosphere.
Same with Wintersun's debut which is my favorite Extreme Power album.
AC/DC-Live, first album I got.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
12.06.2012 - 04:14
Numbskull

Black Sabbath - S/T, Paranoid, Master of Reality, and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Hanging out with my older cousins, I was introduced to Black Sabbath in the mid-70's. It didn't take long for me to develop a taste for them and hard-rock/heavy-metal. I cut my metal teeth (so to speak) on Black Sabbath. These 4 albums were in heavy rotation in various forms of media over the last 30+ years.

Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny (11 out of 10 - yes, this one goes to 11)
This is one of the greatest albums of all time (notice I didn't say greatest metal album only - although it's that too). This is a master piece. It's extra special to me because I stumbled onto it on my own in the late 70's. I hadn't heard or read about it (remember there was no internet). I listen to it without any expectations and was completely blown away. It still holds up after all these years.

Iron Maiden - S/T, Killers, Number of the Beast, and Piece of Mind
These metal gems came out the 4 years I was in high school. So, they always take me back to those golden days. Not to mention they are great heavy metal albums.
20.06.2012 - 04:46
Windir

It's really hard to pick just a few but these ones are legendary for me:
Amorphis - Tales from the thousand lakes / Elegy
Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the other side
Einherjer - Blot
Faanefjell - Trollmarsj
In Flames - Colony
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Kampfar - Kvass
King Diamond - Them
Marty Friedman - Dragon's kiss
Megadeth - Youthanasia
Metallica - Master of puppets
Moonsorrow - Voimasta ja kunniasta / kivenkantaja
Primordial - To the nameless dead
Rage - The missing link
Thyrfing - Vansinnesvisor
Virgin steele - The marriage of heaven and hell part II
Windir - Artnor / Likferd
20.06.2012 - 05:11
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Woods Of Ypres - Pursuit Of The Sun & The Allure Of The Earth

I have such a strong emotional connection with this album, the lyrics, the mood, the sound, everything. Being he was from my neck of the woods ( no pun intended) makes it even stronger.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.06.2012 - 22:08
Oaken
Hipster
Iron Maiden's first seven albums, Immortal's At The Heart Of Winter, Suffocation's Pierced From Within, Agalloch's The Mantle and Ashes Against The Grain, Blut Aus Nord's Memoria Vetusta I,Týr's The Lay Of Thrym,Edge Of Sanity's Crimson and most importantly Deafheaven's Roads To Judah.
EDIT: The Ruins Of Beverast's whole discography.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
27.08.2012 - 21:23
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Maximum The Hormone last three studio albums: Kusoban, Rokkinpo Goroshi and Buiikikaesu: Got me into music overrall.

Sabaton Primo Victoria: Maybe my first beloved metal album... all songs were epic three years back ago, and still are today.

Amon Amarth With Oden On Our Side and Twilight Of The Thunder God: The Furious sound and deep vocals started my interest in learning the differences between all those genres we see today. This album was very different at the time I first heard it.

Bathory "Debut", Under The Sign Of The Black Mark, Hammerheart, Twilight Of The Gods and Blood On Ice: Got me into extreme metal, and made me see music not only as "music", but as something different.... I also started to see religion and church in a different way.

Iron Maiden Fear Of The Dark: My first maiden album. This album started my interest in "heavy" metal, because at the time I hated guitar solos and all the Priest/Sabbath thing, preffering alternative metal and modern shit.

Korn "Debut", Life Is Peachy, Follow The Leader, Issues, Untouchables and Take A Look in The Mirror: Well, with all the "pure" or "true" metal I started to listen during these years, I kinda of created a "hate" against alternative and nu Metal. Although I strongly hated Korn the first time, I gave them a chance and in this momment I am even wearing one of their T-Shirts. Korn also strated my interest in some things outiside metal or rock, and I also started to see how prejudiced some peoples can be towards genres.... (not defending Nu metal).

There's also a lot of others bands: System Of A Down, Rammstein, Van Halen, Metallica, Priestess and so on... Guitar Hero Encore: Rock The 80's was also a early influence on my musical taste.
01.09.2012 - 23:58
Patrick.

Kiss - Greatest Kiss
Kiss - Psycho Circus
These introduced me to music and were crucial in my metal-upbringing. Looking back on it now, they are still dear to me although my interest for Kiss faded years and years ago.

Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death
I liked Maiden prior to buying this album but this is where my Metal fanboyism took off! I believe this is an underrated album in every sense, a true masterpiece!

HammerFall - Glory To The Brave
Helloween - Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part I
Edguy - Hellfire Club
These "came to me" about the same time when I discovered internet was a tool to use when looking for music. Great albums. Highly possible my taste in metal and otheriwse would look quite different today without these three.

Yeah, that's about it.
10.09.2012 - 01:33
Angry Chair

Would have to be Metallica's Kill 'em all. my favorite album from them
----
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
18.09.2012 - 16:45
Sangre Sani

It'll be first five albums of Metallica. Justice was the first album I heard from them.
28.09.2012 - 01:20
Evil Chip

Written by Boxcar Willy on 26.01.2012 at 05:00

Easy,

Woods Of Ypres- Woods III & Woods IV.

BEST. EVER.

I started hearing Woods because of your post and it's amazing.
28.09.2012 - 01:29
Evil Chip

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Shining - V - Halmstad
Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar
Strapping Young Lad - City
28.09.2012 - 01:42
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Evil Chip on 28.09.2012 at 01:20

Written by Boxcar Willy on 26.01.2012 at 05:00

Easy,

Woods Of Ypres- Woods III & Woods IV.

BEST. EVER.

I started hearing Woods because of your post and it's amazing.

Glad I spread the wood fever

I recommend their second album, especially the song "The Will To Give" aslo, "The Allure Of The Earth" is also amazing.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.12.2013 - 04:00
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
My first metal record, I got it on my 15th birthday, and though I don't listen to it a lot these days, it's still a solid slab of metal that brings back good times.

Katatonia - NIght Is The New Day/Dead End Kings
The former being the first album I ever bought from my favorite band of all time, and with the latter, I have just been listening to this album non-stop since it came out, and I have gone to several shows during the tour in support of this album (even having them sign my copy of the album along with my copy of Viva Emptiness at a meet and greet early on this year). Though Viva Emptiness is my favorite Katatonia album, I've always been sentimentally biased toward the latest works personally.

These 3 are the only ones I can think of at the moment.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
25.12.2013 - 11:46
Grey Wind

Katatonia - Dance of December souls...pretty much the most melancholic album ever
Same for Draconian's Where Lovers Mourn. Saddest moments.
Also Kreator's Extreme Agressions, of course "Reign in Blood". and the first Rhapsody albums.
Also "Hatebreeder" by CoB.

I don't listen to these bands anymore but they have a place in my heart forever
So I will definitely be returning to these albums someday ! tomorrow, next week, or years from now. amen
----
wimps and posers leave the hall lol