06. Uniaika
07. Kultanainen
08. Bring Us Pints Of Beer
09. Huppiaan Aarre
10. Könnin Kuokkamies [digipack bonus]
11. Vesaisen Sota
12. Sulasilmä
13. Kohmelo

No one is a stranger to Korpiklaani these days with the popularity of the folk metal genre. Korpiklaani are perhaps the most productive band album-wise, as the band have released an album each consecutive year from 2005 onwards. This means that for the past five albums the band have put out, each one of these were written, recorded, mastered and sent to pressing in under a year. Pretty fast workers we have here then.

Unfortunately this constant stream of folk metal albums has its down sides, and the flashing red lights with Korpiklaani are that each album is exactly the same as each other. Only difference being they just have a different alcoholic beverage being the theme of a few tracks.

This makes Karkelo extremely tedious to listen to. Korpiklaani have moved no where in five years and have relied only on the booming popularity of the genre to put out the sales for each release. If anything, Karkelo shows even less imagination, less talent for writing songs and less musical capability in general.

Obviously "Vodka" is the figurehead of the album, this is a slightly amusing number about everyone's favourite clear liquid, but comparing this song to something the band might have put out some years ago, this is almost an abomination. Korpiklaani have completely lost touch with what makes a good song, just because the lyrics include a highly alcoholic spirit does not automatically make a good song - unless of course you are already under the influence of the vodka. If this is the case you might just pass out in time to miss the rest of the album, saving yourself fifty minutes of lacklustre tosh.

The odd song such as "Juodaan Viinaa" might temporarily brighten your drunken squaller, but on the whole Karkelo shows Korpiklaani almost as a bad parody of itself. If this is your first Korpiklaani album then perhaps you may enjoy the album before moving on to better albums, but for the most of us who have heard this all before; Karkelo is very forgettable and just not worth buying.

-

Folk metal
Nuclear Blast
Finland
Length: 51:25

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 5
Production: 9

Written on 28.08.2009 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 42   Visited by: 375 users
01.09.2009 - 13:05
Rating: 7
Iceland_Norway

I'm a truefan of this Band and I liked not every albums written by them.

Korven Kuningas was annoying me but not for the production, the songs had not the strong of other albums.

Korven Kuningas is darker than Other Albums.

I have to tell that Juodaan Viinaa is a cover by Hector, a finnish folk country singer and guitarrist.
----
Føroyar mítt land

Tú alfagra land mítt

Føroyar mín Móðir
03.09.2009 - 02:00
IllOmenNation

I think that it is easy for non Finns to miss the appeal of this album, and I don't think it is out to impress anyone musically. It is simply some fun Finnish folk influenced music, meant for putting a smile on your face, and maybe sometimes also singing more of the somber side of things. If you've ever lived in a country as bleak as Finland, you would understand better probably. Nevertheless, they are indeed a bit one dimensional. I resisted listening to Korpiklaani for a very long time because I knew what they were all about and I didn't really feel in the mood for that. But eventually I did, and that is why I can say I have no disappointment or complaints. I never went and said "oh they suck because it's always the same thing"... got over that mindset long ago. As a musician, I know I also make things for my own enjoyment, and believe there will be enough others who appreciate it also.. I suppose that is what they feel as well.
----
Ill Omen Nation - Great Finnish/Scandinavian Metal! http://www.myspace.com/illomennation
19.09.2009 - 22:57
Rating: 6
quirin

Not their greatest album, neither any different from the previous ones, but it's got its share of good moments. I definitely like this one better than Tervaskanto and Korven Kuningas.

5...? Hard, but still fair: An average album which let us hope for a brighter future.
20.09.2009 - 01:16
routa
Account deleted
Written by Ivor on 29.08.2009 at 00:52

Written by Baz Anderson on 29.08.2009 at 00:23

Written by Ivor on 29.08.2009 at 00:19

As a sidenote Barry:
Quote:
The odd song such as "Juodaan Viinaa" might temporarily brighten your drunken squaller...

You might want to look up to what the title of this song translates to from Finnish to English.

I.

I got back "Booze Alcohol". Hahaha, is that right?

Not exactly. I *think* it means drink vodka. Some Finnish dude may confirm or deny it.

I.

More like "Let's drink booze". It's actually a cover.

So, uh, Korpiklaani has suddenly turned into shit? Wow.
22.09.2009 - 16:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 20.09.2009 at 01:16

Suddenly? Last time I checked they have always been shit
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.09.2009 - 14:47
routa
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.09.2009 at 16:10

Written by Guest on 20.09.2009 at 01:16

Suddenly? Last time I checked they have always been shit

My point exactly.
13.02.2010 - 09:07
DreadfulYgg

"Vodka" is still a fun song to listen to.
13.02.2010 - 10:15
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Unfortunately it cannot be told about the rest of the album except Juodaan Viinaa...and those two songs are on single, which also has nice and funny cover art...no need to buy full length then...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

06.07.2012 - 10:05
malaikat

Truth to be told, Korpiklaani's only memorable album was "Tales Along This Road", which had both catchy/drinking tunes and moving folk melodies. Other albums are, to quote Baz, "very forgettable". Nothing even remotely interesting. Sure, it may be fun when you're drunk, but Justin Bieber is fun when you drink, too.
06.07.2012 - 18:01
Until the End

Written by malaikat on 06.07.2012 at 10:05

Truth to be told, Korpiklaani's only memorable album was "Tales Along This Road", which had both catchy/drinking tunes and moving folk melodies. Other albums are, to quote Baz, "very forgettable". Nothing even remotely interesting. Sure, it may be fun when you're drunk, but Justin Bieber is fun when you drink, too.

Aye, because 'Voice of Wilderness' wasn't memorable at all.
07.07.2012 - 11:05
malaikat

Written by Until the End on 06.07.2012 at 18:01

My bad, "VoW" was awesome as well. But after "Tales" they pretty much suck, imho.
07.07.2012 - 14:45
Until the End

Written by malaikat on 07.07.2012 at 11:05

Written by Until the End on 06.07.2012 at 18:01

My bad, "VoW" was awesome as well. But after "Tales" they pretty much suck, imho.

That's better! I agree with you. Those 2 albums were a solid listen from start to finish but I'd skip a lot of the songs on the other albums. The newest album 'Ukon Wacka' is the best stuff they've done since 'Tales' though.

Hits total: 7295 | This month: 15