Metal Storm logo
Dimmu Borgir - Keyboardist And Bassist Out Of The Band

Dimmu Borgir keyboardist Øyvind "Mustis" Mustaparta has issued the following statement on his MySpace page:

"Attention to all the worldwide fans of my work with Dimmu Borgir. I feel that I must begin my note to you all by saying that your dedication and interest in my musical work with Dimmu Borgir has been greatly appreciated by me for many, many years and you all have motivated me to continue to push the creative envelope farther each and every day. You might be able to see where this note is heading and if you are thinking correctly you will know that I am informing you all that I am no longer associated with the band and have left the ranks of Dimmu Borgir effective immediately.

My departure was not entirely of my own accord and while I had felt this change was something imminent for my future, my time had been spent addressing the fact that many songs written by me had not been registered properly under my name in their credits. Without naming every single track, let us just say that a good majority of albums like "Spiritual Black Dimensions", "Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia" and "In Sorte Diaboli" would have been vastly different had I not composed and created as much as I actually did. Sadly, based on terrible gaps in the communication process and a failure to find logical rationale for why this had been done this way found me hitting wall after wall as opposed to finding a professional and reasonable solution to the problem. My inquiries and investigation into the issues which I wished to resolve and move on from would in the end find me being fired from the group. No discussions about it, just "goodbye" (via text message).

I can say to you that this was not a new dispute and is something that has been going on for some years and since these are my individual creative rights and work that are being denied of me, we shall now let the resolution come from the lawyers instead of dealing with more dishonesty and lies on a one on one personal level. On this I cannot say anymore because we will be walking into sticky legal territory. I mentioned earlier that my fans have motivated me to create great music again and again and they should know that I will continue to do this and shall return to them in the not too distant future with material that I hope will keep their musical needs fed. In advance I will say that I thank you for notes and texts of support and ask that you please understand that there is not much more I can say on this, nor will be able to answer every single message that I get. I ask you to please keep tabs on my official MySpace page. I will do my best to post what I am legally allowed to share with you so you remain informed."

According to Mustis, also bassist/clean vocalist Simen "ICS Vortex" Hestnæs got fired by the band. Both Mustis and Vortex were apparently either fired or had no other choice than to leave the group after years of disagreements. However, this has not yet been confirmed by Vortex or anyone else associated with the group.

An official statement from Dimmu Borgir is expected to be released shortly.

UPDATE

Dimmu Borgir has announced the following: "We regret to inform you that we have parted ways with both Vortex and Mustis. However, we do want to make it perfectly clear that the creative force in the band is highly intact, perhaps even more so than ever. With that being said, we're currently working on our next album and are excited to start a new chapter in the legacy that is Dimmu Borgir."

Source: myspace.com
Band profile: Dimmu Borgir
Posted: 31.08.2009 by Thryce

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 61   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 567 users
31.08.2009 - 21:19
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Well DB without Vortex... I can't imagine that, he was an essnetial part of the band IMHO. Crap.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
31.08.2009 - 21:32
parallax

This is Shagrath and Silenoz' loss more than anything. DB without Mustis and Vortex is a lesser band, for sure. But if/when Vortex starts singing lead, it'll all be okay. And Mustis is a great keyboardist/composer, I'm sure he'll be doing his own thing soon shortly, too.

I remember reading an interview where Shagrath said most songs begin on keyboard. Whether or not he, Mustis, or whoever else was doing that writing, I'm not sure. But it makes you wonder after reading Mustis' statement.
31.08.2009 - 22:25
Damned-In-Black

I'm really pleased with this news. Hopefully Vortex will find something better to do with his time. He was wasted in Dimmu Borgir.
31.08.2009 - 22:43
Abattoir

Hm, another juicy one Well, both are a very good musicians, so this departure probably means nothing good nor positive for the rest of the band.

Will see how they will manage to do the without them in the future...the next album release will tell us a lot.
01.09.2009 - 00:36
atmo1221
Account deleted
DIMMU BORGIR IS A FUCKING FAGGOT BAND ANYWAY! WITH OR WITHOUT MUSTIS AND VORTEX THIS BAND WILL ALWAYS BE A BITCH BAND!! LOOK AT ME AND MY KISS CORPSE PAINT!! PATHETIC!! DIMMU BORGIR CAN SUCK IT!!
01.09.2009 - 00:48
Baz Anderson

Well, I will judge if they have done the right thing with the next album. Until then I'll just forget this.
01.09.2009 - 00:53
The Night Wisher

While Mustis composes all music, and he gets nothing, Fuck Shagrath, Now he's nothing they'll be another fucked up Black Metal band which can't do anything except for noise and screams with no Melodies and No good music, also they've lost clean vocals...Well and to me the only good black metal album was Death Cult Armageddon.
01.09.2009 - 02:47
Slyfang

Written by Guest on 01.09.2009 at 00:36

DIMMU BORGIR IS A FUCKING FAGGOT BAND ANYWAY! WITH OR WITHOUT MUSTIS AND VORTEX THIS BAND WILL ALWAYS BE A BITCH BAND!! LOOK AT ME AND MY KISS CORPSE PAINT!! PATHETIC!! DIMMU BORGIR CAN SUCK IT!!

damn it, for your own sake, stop being such a prepubescent tr00 kvnt

oh and.. this band is now officially doomed
01.09.2009 - 03:02
Symmachus

Well, it looks like some members of Dimmu Borgir didn't get along very well. I would love an Arcturus reunion as well. This will be interesting to follow. Could a split be in the cards as well? Hmm...
01.09.2009 - 03:05
chris_metalhead

No Vortex. They are fucked
----
you should all check out a band called synthetic breed.
01.09.2009 - 03:06
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Pffff.. done...
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
01.09.2009 - 03:29
Urizen367

You guys remember that period of time before varg killed euronymous? i'm just sayin, there are some similarities here, except that mustis and vortex seem to be sane for the most part. but who knows. i wont be shocked if silenoz is found with 37 stabwounds.
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
01.09.2009 - 03:47
Ulv

Vortex was the only good thing about this band...
01.09.2009 - 06:17
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 01.09.2009 at 00:36

Take a fucking xanax, dude.

That letter was pretty harsh. I somehow think this is far from over...
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
01.09.2009 - 06:20
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
Oh dimmu, how you get more ridiculous with each year. As many have already said... this band is fucked. The last album was crap and as bland as eating cardboard and plastic sandwiches. The only things worthwhile going on in this band were them and galder, now weve got galder, so dimmu should officially be renamed to Old Man's Child. Shagrath is pathetic, I imagine he's mostly to blame for this, being the dani filth type of pop-star that he is.
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
01.09.2009 - 07:11
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
SKEET vortex is gone. LOL.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
01.09.2009 - 08:34
Nethrakh

Wtf? Vortex and Mustis out? gotta be a fucking joke dude, only 'cause Shagrath is a complete self-centered asshole? pfff, as others have said it, this band is totally fucked up.
01.09.2009 - 10:08
Piranha_Kill

Oh well, whats done is done. I'm really looking forward to see what Vortex does now. Arcturus....Borknagar.....it's good to dream.
----
What do ya mean, booze ain't food! I'd rather chop off my ding-dong than admit that.
44 mins of target practice, all hell's breaking loose........Firefight with a Pocketknife...
01.09.2009 - 10:09
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Sucks about Mustis, but I hate ICS Vortex's voice so I'm glad he's gone

Why is everyone saying that Vortex was an essential part of Dimmu Borgir? Their best albums were made without him.
01.09.2009 - 11:57
Shankao

Written by Ulv on 01.09.2009 at 03:47

Vortex was the only good thing about this band...

You're right!!
01.09.2009 - 16:50
HellHammer
Account deleted
Those two guys were great, the clean vocals and the keyboards were great. Ah well Dimmu still have Galder to lean on. Everything has become interresting now.
01.09.2009 - 18:09
Odium

Oh shit, I love Vortex and Mustis...

Can't wait to listen their new proyects...

¿Did I heard Arcturus?

Oh my...it's too exciting
01.09.2009 - 21:21
Njord
njord
Well..without Vortex my interest in this band is over. Mustis was also a great talent but was not so fascinating to me like Vortex.

Success is what all bands want to achieve but not every band knows how to live it. This is just another example of bad behaviour with sucess
01.09.2009 - 22:11
Got Mayhem?

So basically the only two possibly productive and interesting members of the band are gone. Now they're left with a vocalist whose voice has gone downhill for years, a lead guitarist whos about as innovative and creative as a new brand of sliced bread, and a rhythm guitarist who (even though he is an original member) doesn't seem to do much.

New album to be worse than ISD? Not as silly as it seemed to me 5 minute ago.
----
01.09.2009 - 23:07
Øyvind
Grave Digger
ICS Vortex is no longer with the band...he was practically the only reason I kept listening to Dimmu, even after they started producing bunch of below-par albums. If I remember correctly, Garm of Ulver held Simen's vocals in very high esteem (whoever heard Garm's vocals on Bergtatt knows what it means when someone with that kind of voice praises you). Dimmu's officially gone down the drain.
----
02.09.2009 - 00:19
treptolemus
aphotic_zoning
Remember when i watched the bonus DVD - the making of In Sorte Diaboli.... Everything was fine with these guys.. Working together for the album. I could NEVER imagine that this could happen. Especially in that way... Legal Issues????? If i were for more than 10 years in a band, logically I could cope with all members perfectly? I would consider them as a family, fighting for our purpose? Now what? I really hope that this was a misunderstanding (cross my fingers!)- or what? Damn, I'll have a beer?:(
----
\m/etalstor\m/
02.09.2009 - 09:43
Metal4ever
Account deleted
No No No No

Pl's Dont Go You Are The Best Keyboardest In The World
02.09.2009 - 14:43
Shogun

Okay, the two are pretty great, but they aren't really the most important in the band. I wouldn't listen to just them if they formed a band. Homo keyboards and terrible basslines would run a muck. Not to mention the vocals would make you want to kill (not in a good way). Although, I guess all of this is about the same as In Sorte Diaboli. Heh.
Okay, so the main point of that rambling is none of them are well off without each other. <3

And Vortex is being a puss.
----
U.S.A. for Satan!
03.09.2009 - 08:41
ANGEL REAPER

IT WAS ABOUT TIME!!!!!They finally realised that they are faling apart and that making a lot of shity stuff just dont work...I hope that they will continue playing whit different lineup,and maybe to return to the roots.....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
27.10.2009 - 07:36
yourmomiskvlt

Rats deserting a sinking ship? I think so.

Hits total: 10822 | This month: 9