20.07.2006 - 13:29
Ridden Disease
Account deleted
Please post here your top 5-10 Melodic death albums
Please Explain

myn are:

1.Dark Tranquillity - The gallery
Well what can I say...
Great guitar work, changes of tempo, great screams of despair, lyrics are amazing and contian Greek mythology and latin.
It touches me very deeply.

2. Arch enemy - Wages Of Sin
I just love her and the fast riffs and great solos
One of the classics for me- the first metla albums I ever liket.

3.At The Gates - The Red In The Sky Is Ours
Pain and despair, so sick, so touching, tho The riffs sometimes are weak.

4.Amon Amarth - Once Sent From The Golden Hall
Im sure Im a viking when I listen to this band !
I lvoe it! its so epic !

5.Eternal Gray - Kindless
One hell of an original death metal machine. Grea great riffs, remind me of old school.

6.Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream
Black metal + Death metal a classic !

7.Entombed - Left Hand Path
a Classic two...killer riffs fast and cutting tho flesh like butter!

8.Dark Tranquillity- Character
Probably the most perfect album of Dark Tranquillity. graet work in wirting and lyrics.

9.Unanimated - In the Forest of the Dreaming Dead
Original , sounds like Black metal + Death.
Very recommended .

10.Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes
What melodic riffs! Great musicianship !
OLDSCHOOL death metal that owns!

As really dont see 6 and 7 and Melodic Death but anyways...
20.07.2006 - 13:53
Vunts
There's a nice piece of text in the top of the "metal arena" page. I think it was entitled rules. Aint sure though. Well, the text is
Quote:
Reply to your own topic! Don't go asking for opinions when you have no opinion about the topic! And give detailed opinions, with explanations and as much information as needed.

Anyways, it's sortof hard for me to make a list, but i'll try.
1. Amon Amarth - Versus the World
2. Arch Enemy - (anything with Angela)
3. In Flames - Lunar Strain
4. Hypocrisy - Catch 22

Anyways, i don't listen to melodic death that much, but those 4...well, 3 CDs are in the tops. Of course i could have filled everything with Amon Amarth, but i thought that it's better to choose different bands.
Anyways,
1. Versus the World - the release got it's 1st spot thanks to the versitality. There are songs with pure mayhem and songs that aren't very far from being melodeath/doom. Plus the vocalist has a good style: clean and agressive. I say clean, because the words are VERY easily understandable.
2. Arch Enemy with Angela - i just happen to like their material from that time more. Can't really put my finger on anything certain like with Amon, and i don't even have any favourite songs by Arch Enemy. I just like em
3. Lunar Strain - IMO the only In Flames CD that is remotely worth anything. I used to listen to the others also, but with In Flames it goes like: Lunar Strain >> Soundtrack to Your Escape > everything else.
4. Catch 22 - There are simply some interesting songs. For example "Edge of Madness". A good CD in my eyes.
20.07.2006 - 15:16
Stigmatized
Alright, let's what I got here....

1. Arch Enemy-Black Earth- I love the sound of this album....most prefer the albums with Angela, but none of them can compare to this release

2. In Flames- The Jester Race- Their best IMO, shows how promising they were.

3. Dark Tranquillity- Character- Their 7th album, and maybe their best. Another one of those albums you can listen to all the way through

4. Entombed- Clandestine- Listening to it right now actually. I prefer it to Left Hand Path, though LHP is a great album. I've haven't heard their later material, when they changed styles, but these two are great.

5.At The Gates- The Red In the Sky Is Ours- I don't know, I've just always liked this album.
20.07.2006 - 19:31
Sunioj
1. Arch Enemy - Wages Of Sin
For one, I have a ton of memories from this album and this album especially got me into extreme metal.
The guitarwork, songstructure, lyrics and as a whole this album amazing.

2. In flames - Whoracle
Amazing album once again, great as whole. Episode 666 has given me an appreciation for melodic metal.

3. Hypocrisy - Virus,
I think this album put Hypocrisy back into the arena of DM and melodic metal, this album is a brainstorm and every hypocrisy fan needs to hear this album.

4. Dismember - Indecent and obscene
Great old school melodic death, though differrent from your generic DM band, this album has a great structure to it.

5. Nightrage - descent into chaos
This album is so brutal, and the fact that makes this album so impressionable is that its a really recent album, you dont find this kind of stuff these days.

6. In flames - Colony,
This album people consider to be a turning point in In Flames' sound, but I still like this album alot.

7. At the Gates - Terminal Spirit disease
This album is special, it stands out...
21.07.2006 - 02:30
Mega-Slayer
I'm sorry I dont really have 5,just 2 great and magnificent masterpieces,"Storm Of The Lights Bane" by Dissection isn't only the greatest Melodic Death band around,but among the best bands ever,I enjoy it so much cuz it contains elements of Death and Black Metal.Secondly "Tales From The Thousand Lakes" by Amorphis,one of the most original albums around,and my first introduction to Melodic Death.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
21.07.2006 - 02:52
Endoftherainbow
In Flames - Colony
This is my favorite In Flames album and my favorite melodic death metal album because of all the great songs and they amazing acoustic interludes in songs.

Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin
The first album of Arch Enemy with new singer Angela Gossow and it was a change for the good this album contains so many great songs and the instrumental Snowbound is such a great song.

At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
The best At the Gates album in my opinion thats album has some of the sickest riffs I have ever heard and it's really thrash so I like that about it aswell.

Dark Tranquillity - Projector
I don't think this album is considered there best by many people but for me I'd take this album over the Gallery any day. This album contains some really great dynamics in songs and has a great use of keyboards to create a cool atmosphere.

Edge of Sanity - Crimson II
This is an amazing concept album by the genius Dan Swano anyone who hasn't heard this band and considers themselves a fan of melodic death should go out and buy it right now.

Amon Amarth - Versus the World
This album contains some really memorable melodic death songs like Death In Fire.

Hypocrisy - Abducted
Another great melodic death metal concept album by one of my favorite bands.

Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos
A great album produced by genius Devin Townsend some people dispise this band but who cares. This album contains some really great melodies.

Scar Symmetry - Pitch.Black.Progress
These guys are a relativly new Melodeath band but their great the only problem I have with them is they aren't doing anything new and exciting.

Nightrage - Sweet Vengence
Another great relatively new Melodeath band.
21.07.2006 - 03:11
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I don't have my cd's with me so this is off the top of my head:

1. Arch Enemy- Burning Bridges- The solos and riffs on this cd are amazing.
2. Arch Enemy- Wages of Sin- This was the first Arch Enemy cd I got and it helped me get into more extreme metal. I actually bought this right after it came out and it blew me away.
3. At the Gates- Slaughter of the Soul- I was shocked at how good this cd was when I first got it. My friend let me borrow it a long time ago, and since I hadn't heard of them I wasn't thinking it was going to be as good as it turned out to be. The lyrics are great and the riffs were groundbreaking.
4. Arch Enemy- Stigmata- Great sound...
5. Arch Enemy- Doomsday Machine- I wasn't expecting this to be good at all cuz I thought they were going to continue their downward slope after Anthems of Rebellion. I was mistaken. This album features some very inpsired songs, but it also has some bad qualities too.
6. Dark Tranquility- Character- These guys managed to make their latest album one of their best.
7. Soilwork- Chainheart Machine- This album is fast from start to finish. There is absolutely no cheesy singing on this album, unlike their other stuff.
8. In Flames- Colony- I didn't like this at first, but it eventually grew on me. The first track is orgasmic.

I'll stop here cuz I'm tired of explaining.
21.07.2006 - 12:07
Sunioj
Lots of people put down dissection in their lists, but I dont really see them as a band to be in the same list as Arch Enemy, At the Gates, Dark Tranquility, etc. I think their style is more brutal yet melodic. But with this thread, I get the impression that the melodic side is pushing more towards Gothenburg style melodic metal. Nevertheless, Dissection is one of my favorite bands!
27.07.2006 - 19:16
Ridden Disease
Account deleted
How could I forget?

Amorphis
Tales From The Thousand Lakes

!

28.07.2006 - 01:34
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Does God Dethroned and The Crown count as melodic death metal? If so, I must change my list.
28.07.2006 - 02:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
1)Edge of Sanity - ''The Spectral Sorrows
Its my firts CD ever, its my first CD what I by, so this albun means to much for me, and alos it great lyricaly, and muisc are great to, I like almoust all songs there. I thi k its best album ever in genre.'

2)Nocturnus - ''The Key''
Ok its maybe dont sound slike Gethenburg metal, ut album are great and its I think Nocturnus are one of best melodic/progresive death metal bands in States, I had tape from that time, so tape are werry old and I stilll love this album

3)Neglected Fields - ''Mefisto Letonica'' This band are from my country and play more techical, melodic death metal, dunno witch band are simmilar but I put in lit because probobly nobody had mentionet it, and maybe dont know it.

4)Dark Tranquillity - ''Projector'' song ''ThereIn'' are best of them and I like this album, rtealy great and lyricaly best DT album ever and muiscaly , maybe not but this song what I mention are best!

5)In Thy Dreams - ''The Gate of Pleasure''
Great swedish abnbd and this album are only what I had hera from them and Im listening it just now, because brothers swedish metalheads give it to me!

6)Carcass - ''Symphonies Of Sickness'' I shood coment it, probobly name tell all, its about me,

7)At The Gates - ''The Red in the Sky Is Ours'' Good music, gutar sounds, great album and probobly best of At the Gates work, its firts so we all exepted all albums shood sound slike this

8)Entombed - ''Clandestine'' Only album whit ''Left Hand path'' what I can listen, other are crap, and its if its in ANUS.com than it eman sthis is mastepiece, and I enjoy it.

9)Arch Enemy - ''Anthems of Rebellion'' Dead Eyes See No Future, dead ears dont listen metal, yeahhh this song are best of AE all time, so best album

10)Others - If Kalmah, ETOS are melo death then thay shood be here, I dont know if early Sadist, Sadus, Cynic, belongs here but its hard to choose all thise albums, Im realy shoore about firts 3, other changing, so there are other good albums what shood be here and I cant think now for them, Amon Amarth of course, so this si my list for now!
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.07.2006 - 02:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 27.07.2006 at 19:16

How could I forget?

Amorphis
Tales From The Thousand Lakes

!

I dont think this album belongs here, because its doom whit influencies, like ''Karelian Isthmuss'' and this is my faw Amorphis album, so I dont think it belongs here.
----

apos;'
[image]
28.07.2006 - 02:18
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Bad English on 28.07.2006 at 02:14

6)Carcass - ''Symphonies Of Sickness'' I shood coment it, probobly name tell all, its about me,

I don't think this album belongs here. Symphonies of Sickness is grind, not melodic death metal.
28.07.2006 - 02:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dangerboner on 28.07.2006 at 02:18

Written by Bad English on 28.07.2006 at 02:14

I don't think this album belongs here. Symphonies of Sickness is grind, not melodic death metal.

ok man its same like SAmorphis belongs in this list, so Amorphis are here, Carcass are here too
----

apos;'
[image]
28.07.2006 - 02:38
Revenant
Account deleted
Wintersun - Wintersun
Wintersun - Wintersun
Wintersun - Wintersun
Wintersun - Wintersun
Wintersun - Wintersun

heh
28.07.2006 - 03:04
Necro-Goat
Account deleted
Because Dark Tranquillity is the first, and best melodeath band ever, and has made the 5 best melodeath albums ever, i'd just make a Top 5 of DT albums...

But if it has to be, like different artists, mine would look like this:
1. Dark Tranquillity - Haven.
DT is the only melodeath i really listen to, and btw on of my fav. bands.

2. Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done
Another really good album from DT

3 In Flames - Lunar Strain
Mostly because it is written by Mikael Stanne, and is more a Dark Tranquillity album, than an In Flames album.

4. In Flames - The Jester Race
Mostly because i didn't wan't to pick another DT album, and it is a good IF album.

5 Arch Enemy - Wages Of Sin
I actually dont like Angela's voice, but i still think it is the best Arch Enemy album.
28.07.2006 - 03:35
Daru Jericho
Crap, excluding melo black will make this harder seeing as that's more my forte.

As for the previous posts: Wintersun are extreme power, Dissection are melo black and I personally think Edge Of Sanity are prog death metal but I understand that MS lists them as melo death so...here's my 5 list (can't be bothered to do 10). In no particular order:

Kalmah ~ The Black Waltz -- Much more different compared to your other generic melodic death metal releases. This album was more agressive and racier than past release. The great keys on 'Time Takes Us All'....superb!

Amorphis ~ Tales Of A Thousand Lakes -- Great creative album with a fascinating lyrical concept. Songs like 'Black Winter Day' are actually one of my favourite songs in the entire metal genre. I'd like to think that this album is an influential one but I can't be sure.

Arch Enemy ~ Doomsday Machine -- Angela's vocals are great and I am aware that they used programming and stuff to make her voice sound how it was but the music is pretty great too. A really agressive number from Arch Enemy here.

Arch Enemy ~ Wages Of Sin -- Er...probably Arch Enemy's best release. Need I say more?

Hypocrisy ~ The Arrival -- Really enjoyed the melodic part of this album. I enjoyed a load of the riffing too. Hypocrisy's finest hour.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

28.07.2006 - 04:07
Stigmatized
Written by Daru Jericho on 28.07.2006 at 03:35

Crap, excluding melo black will make this harder seeing as that's more my forte.

As for the previous posts: Wintersun are extreme power, Dissection are melo black and I personally think Edge Of Sanity are prog death metal but I understand that MS lists them as melo death so...here's my 5 list (can't be bothered to do 10). In no particular order:

Kalmah ~ The Black Waltz -- Much more different compared to your other generic melodic death metal releases. This album was more agressive and racier than past release. The great keys on 'Time Takes Us All'....superb!

Ok, you said Wintersun is exteme power, but doesn't Kalmah fall under that category too?
28.07.2006 - 04:24
Daru Jericho
Written by Stigmatized on 28.07.2006 at 04:07

Ok, you said Wintersun is exteme power, but doesn't Kalmah fall under that category too?

Yeah, I've heard some people call Kalmah that. Thinking about it, I guess they are. So, it's probably adequate for me to exchange Kalmah for Gates Of Ishtar's A Bloodred Path.
----

28.07.2006 - 04:26
Stigmatized
Written by Daru Jericho on 28.07.2006 at 04:24

Written by Stigmatized on 28.07.2006 at 04:07

Yeah, I've heard some people call Kalmah that. Thinking about it, I guess they are. So, it's probably adequate for me to exchange Kalmah for Gates Of Ishtar's A Bloodred Path.

I wasn't trying to put you down there. I've just always heard them referred to as "Extreme Power". Mostly because of comparison's to Children Of Bodom, which really sucks. They may be the same genre, but they sound nothing alike.
28.07.2006 - 04:57
Daru Jericho
Written by Stigmatized on 28.07.2006 at 04:26

I wasn't trying to put you down there. I've just always heard them referred to as "Extreme Power". Mostly because of comparison's to Children Of Bodom, which really sucks. They may be the same genre, but they sound nothing alike.

No, it's cool. I don't mind being corrected. Totally agree with you about Kalmah and Bodom. I get pissed off when people label Kalmah as a Children Of Bodom clone.
----

28.07.2006 - 18:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
why all thinks Amorphis - ''Tales Of 100o lakes'' are melodic black, maybe leither thay play melodic deah, Im not bad fan after firts 2 albums, thay are DOOM!
----

apos;'
[image]
31.07.2006 - 22:25
Ridden Disease
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 28.07.2006 at 18:04

why all thinks Amorphis - ''Tales Of 100o lakes'' are melodic black, maybe leither thay play melodic deah, Im not bad fan after firts 2 albums, thay are DOOM!

Death-Doom
31.07.2006 - 22:42
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Wintersun - Wintersun
god some there songs have so much melodic shit like Battle Against Time..

Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder
great guitar work and some nice keyboard solos

Norther - Dreams of Endless War
lots of good keyboard solos n such

Kalmah - They Will Return
ah keyboardist owns in songs like "hollowheart"

cant think of a 5th,.
01.08.2006 - 02:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 31.07.2006 at 22:25

Death-Doom

Yes, but death doom belongs to DOOM gere not death metal genre, ask ewerybody here, all will say death/doom belongs to doom and try www.doom-metal.com. so Amorphis are death doom, if there be tread ''top 10 seath/doom' albums Amorphis be there, but dunno if in my top
----

apos;'
[image]
01.08.2006 - 02:34
Ridden Disease
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 01.08.2006 at 02:27

Death-Doom

Yes, but death doom belongs to DOOM gere not death metal genre, ask ewerybody here, all will say death/doom belongs to doom and try www.doom-metal.com. so Amorphis are death doom, if there be tread ''top 10 seath/doom' albums Amorphis be there, but dunno if in my top

Im going by metalstorm
01.08.2006 - 05:35
MetalSpider
Written by Guest on 28.07.2006 at 02:38

Wintersun - Wintersun
Wintersun - Wintersun
Wintersun - Wintersun
Wintersun - Wintersun
Wintersun - Wintersun

heh

Wintersun isnt melo death. Its Extreme Power Metal. Still amazingly awesome though!

Well instead of making my own list...I will just add one band to all the bands mentioned: Insomnium. Cant believe they havent been mentioned yet! (unless I just happened to miss it). What an awesome band...I think they write some of the best melodic death metal today.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
01.08.2006 - 16:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 01.08.2006 at 02:34

Written by Bad English on 01.08.2006 at 02:27

Death-Doom

Im going by metalstorm

WHAT?

Quote:
Wintersun isnt melo death. Its Extreme Power Metal. Still amazingly awesome though!

Well instead of making my own list...I will just add one band to all the bands mentioned: Insomnium. Cant believe they havent been mentioned yet! (unless I just happened to miss it). What an awesome band...I think they write some of the best melodic death metal today.

Agrie its extrieme power maybe whit harsh vocals, and Isnomnum, its well if it countns here all Insomnium albums and demo are great, and I love them
----

apos;'
[image]
01.08.2006 - 16:29
Revenant
Account deleted
Wintersun, CoB, Kalmah, Norther etc can all be described as extreme power emtal and don't sound a whole lot like 'true mellodeath' bands like Amon Amarth.
01.08.2006 - 21:55
MetalSpider

Quote:

Agrie its extrieme power maybe whit harsh vocals, and Isnomnum, its well if it countns here all Insomnium albums and demo are great, and I love them

----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!