Top 5-10 Melodic Death Albums

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 20.07.2006 - 13:29
Please post here your top 5-10 Melodic death albums
Please Explain

myn are:

1.Dark Tranquillity - The gallery
Well what can I say...
Great guitar work, changes of tempo, great screams of despair, lyrics are amazing and contian Greek mythology and latin.
It touches me very deeply.

2. Arch enemy - Wages Of Sin
I just love her and the fast riffs and great solos
One of the classics for me- the first metla albums I ever liket.

3.At The Gates - The Red In The Sky Is Ours
Pain and despair, so sick, so touching, tho The riffs sometimes are weak.

4.Amon Amarth - Once Sent From The Golden Hall
Im sure Im a viking when I listen to this band !
I lvoe it! its so epic !

5.Eternal Gray - Kindless
One hell of an original death metal machine. Grea great riffs, remind me of old school.

6.Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream
Black metal + Death metal a classic !

7.Entombed - Left Hand Path
a Classic two...killer riffs fast and cutting tho flesh like butter!

8.Dark Tranquillity- Character
Probably the most perfect album of Dark Tranquillity. graet work in wirting and lyrics.

9.Unanimated - In the Forest of the Dreaming Dead
Original , sounds like Black metal + Death.
Very recommended .

10.Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes
What melodic riffs! Great musicianship !
OLDSCHOOL death metal that owns!

As really dont see 6 and 7 and Melodic Death but anyways...
04.08.2006 - 23:20
AnoTher_HanD
Account deleted
Well, my concept of melodic death metal its a bit different from some other people...

1-Death - Symbolic

I wont explain, the album explains for itself

2-Carcass - Heartwork

It mixes thrashing metal rifness, brutal drumblasting anda great lyrics... off course, the melody is one masterpiece...

3-Death - Individual Thought Patterns
Chuck was a genius...still he is....

4-Death - The Sound of Perseverance

Nobody is perfect, Chuck almost got there, to perfection...

5-Carcass - SawSong

Thrash, Death, plus melody and insany beautyful lyrics for the style...

6-Amon Amarth - Once Sent from the golden Hall

Ah, i go insane with this album!

7-Children of bodom - Something Wild

The Keyboards takes the creep out of me, among with the insane Alexi Laiho Riffage, it makes it a great album!

8-Entombed - Wolverine Blues

Its Death, its different, its Entombed.

9-Drowned - By the grace of Evil

Brasilian melodic death band, kick ass and blows everyone ears, its a great sound!

10-In Flames - Lunar Stain

One of the few things that i like in this band, and the best work of then, its great!
Theyr rest is shit!
05.08.2006 - 07:50
Endoftherainbow
The Crown would count as melodeath but I'm not sure about God Dethroned.
01.09.2006 - 02:52
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Here's my new and improved list. I don't have my cd's with me so this is off the top of my head:

1. Arch Enemy- Burning Bridges
The solos and riffs on this cd are amazing.

2. Arch Enemy- Wages of Sin
This was the first Arch Enemy cd I got and it helped me get into more extreme metal. I actually bought this right after it came out and it blew me away.

3. The Crown- Deathrace King
It's a shame that they broke up. This album is relentlessly fast and their are many great guitar solos. The songs are well-written and I also enjoy the vocals.

4. Arsis- A Celebration of Guilt
Arsis just might be one of the most talented bands from the USA right now. Even though they're only a two-man band, they still make some fantastic music. The vocals are great, but what really stands out is the guitar. There are some great riffs and impressive solos throughout.

5. The Crown- Possessed 13
This album is a little more straightforward than Deathrace King, but still amazing.

6. God Dethroned- The Grand Grimoire
I really like the riffs on this album and the keyboards add a nice atmosphere.

7. Amorphis- The Karelian Isthmus
Being that Amorphis is one of the pioneers of this genre it only makes sense that they would make one of the best melodic death metal albums.

8. Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Their first and best album, Demigod is sadly overlooked when it comes to melo death.

9. Amon Amarth- The Avenger
Even though their new album comes close, I think this is their best release. The first song is my favorite Amon Amarth song.

10. Carcass- Heartwork
Yeah, I'm a little bitter they didn't stay grind, but this album is still good.
01.09.2006 - 03:51
Ibanez07
Account deleted
1.] Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
In my opinion...the most melodic CD of all time. Almost every lead on every track as either a twin lead, or flowing piano, I can't get enough.
2.] In Flames - Colony
In my opinion this album is their most melodic. Just listen to Zombie Inc., Embody the Invisible, and of course, Colony.
3.] Insomnium - Since the Day it All Came Down
This band prides themselves on being Scandanavian, and melodic. And they do a great job of it.
4.] Darkest Hour - Undoing Ruin
Some people say they're metalcore, but they're not. Those two guitarists are more technical, melodic, and harmonious than most bands out of Europe. They even recorded at the same studio Soilwork does, in an effort to be more associated with melodic death metal.
5.] Arch Enemy - Dead Eyes See No Future
The title track, and most of the rest of the CD is a great mix of aggressiveness, and melody.
6.] Disarmonia Mundi - Fragments of D-Generation
For a one-man band [when it comes to instruments] theyre amazingly technical [Etorre Rigotti does all guitars, bass, keys, drums, and even some vocals].
7.] Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait
Just a great CD from a Swedish metal band.
11.09.2006 - 19:15
HelplessHysteria
Account deleted
I know I can name five, so many are so overrated. I won't be listing any In Flames. All of their Melodic Death Metal sounds way too much the same. I don't want to list Arch Enemy, they just aren't good musicians. Christopher Amott was alright, but the rest of the band is just average.

1. Dark Tranquillity's Damage Done. Damage Done was able to combine so many different textures togethor with dark and dreary riffs and melodic keyboards. It's really a charm of Melodic Death Metal.

2. Insomnium's Since the Day It All Came Down. For once a Melodic Death band with technical skill. This album is like a collaboration of Dream Theater and Opeth doing a Melodic Death Metal album. It would be hard to find an album with better playing than this one.

3. Dark Tranquillity's Projector. One of the first Melodic Death Metal albums to really use clean vocals extensively. The pianos add a nice touch when they make their small cameos throughout the album.

4. At the Gates' Terminal Spirit Disease. Many know At the Gates for the Slaughter of the Soul, but Terminal Spirit disease is Slaughter of the Soul with more emotion, texture, and it came first. The riffs are crushing, but the chords are thick as hot butter.

5. Wintersun's debut. Wintersun's debut falls into the category that is kind of Melodic Death, but at the same time, not all that Melodic Death. It's the best of Melodic Death and Folk, but also exhibits that Progressive influence to make for an interesting listen.
12.09.2006 - 02:47
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Dismember - "Like An Everflowing Stream": the most blissful Death Metal album, with an awesome playing and better songwriting... one of those albums close to perfection... I think Dismember lost their path after their debut though.

Arghoslent - "Incorregible Bigotry": underrated masterpiece, with a master riffing and amazing vocals...

Rotting Christ - "Thy Mighty Contract": I can hear the whining that this is black not death... and well, it's rather blacish but still mostly Melodic Death Metal, of the greatest kind.

Hypocrisy - "Abducted": a very original album by my favourite band... not the best by them, but their self-titled isn't Death Metal at all...

Estertor - "Between Silence And Light": an awesome buried gem from Bolivia... thanx Jorge "Conemetal" for making me know it!
30.12.2006 - 00:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 12.09.2006 at 02:47

Estertor - "Between Silence And Light": an awesome buried gem from Bolivia... thanx Jorge "Conemetal" for making me know it!

Holly smoke I read Emperor
I neve rhera this band, are thay HP?

Quote:
Opeth - Still Life
Opeth - Morningrise
Opeth - Deliverance
Opeth - Orchid
Opeth - Blackwater Park

yeah opeth is melodic progressive death sounds like Benighted,face of melinda,harvest,a fait judgment will tell..

WHY Why?

Man Opeth think are complicated, I evnen cant choose best album, because I love all but top 5 huh itds no posible make, I like Opeth
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.12.2006 - 17:07
Sunioj
This is going to be fucking hard. Right now its...

1. Dismember - Like an everflowing stream
This album will always pop in my head when I think of melodic Death Metal at its best, Soon to Be Dead, Bleed for me, and Override of the Overture are my fav from this album.

2. Death - Symbolic
This is probably my favorite album from death, though its more on the tech side, I still think this album is very melodic.

3. Hypocrisy - Virus
I just cant decide, simple as that they have alot of albums I like and differrent sounds and differrent phases. So I just put their latest release which kicks my ass.

4. At the Gates - Terminal Spirit Disease
Moving, melodic, heavy, well orchestrated, its just a great album. I was about to put SotS, but I like this one better.

5. Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin ( with a glorious touch of gothenburg )
My favorite slab of music from Arch Enemy, I love the old AE but Johan never did it for me, Angelas vocals on this album made the band seem that much better.

6. Entombed - Left Hand Path
Killer album, I shouldve put Clandestine, but this is a hard thread.

7. Carcass - Heartwork
Awesomeness.

8. Dismember - Indecent and Obscene
First album that got me into Dismember, a very consistent album with"dreaming in red" "reborn in blasphemy" "fleshless" and "skinfather" keeping it that way.

9. Eternal Gray - Kindless
A very recent band, but this album IMO is a must have for people that love the melodic composure of songs and the technical ass kicking it offers.

10. In flames - whoracle,
In flames at its prime, episode 666 and jotun are my two favorites of all time.
03.01.2007 - 14:54
dark awakening
Dark Tranquillity - Haven (4 me the best of the band; great atmospheres and fast songs)
In Flames - The Jester Race (Hell of an album! all is great!)
Arch Enemy - Stigmata (that's mere technique, mighty songs)
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul (fast, violent, catchy)
Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done (what can I say? simply a masterpiece)
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
04.01.2007 - 02:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Sunioj on 31.12.2006 at 17:07

2. Death - Symbolic
This is probably my favorite album from death, though its more on the tech side, I still think this album is very melodic.

But this isnt Melo Death/Gethenburg band
----

apos;'
[image]
07.01.2007 - 15:08
Sunioj
Written by Bad English on 04.01.2007 at 02:09

Written by Sunioj on 31.12.2006 at 17:07

2. Death - Symbolic

But this isnt Melo Death/Gethenburg band

I think its pretty melodic and sets apart from most DM by far though...true, it isnt really a melodic DM gothenburg compared to Carcass, At the gates etc.
07.01.2007 - 15:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Cracass only one album are Gethenburg, but Death ist not wright band in this tread because its not gethenburg band and IMO in USA arnt real gethenburg bands
----

apos;'
[image]
07.01.2007 - 17:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 07.01.2007 at 16:47

This is easy for me why because all 5 are perfect albums to me and nothing I mean nothing in any part of any of these albums is bad or weak in any way

1 Dreams of Endless War - Norther
2 Mirror of Madness - Norther
3 Death Unlimited - Norther
4 Till Death Unites Us - Norther
5 Hatebreeder - Children of Bodom

You shood explain why and I agree whit Marcel Yhos ebands are not Melodic Death Metal, but extreme power metal
----

apos;'
[image]
07.01.2007 - 17:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 07.01.2007 at 17:29

Written by Bad English on 07.01.2007 at 17:24

Written by Guest on 07.01.2007 at 16:47

This is easy for me why because all 5 are perfect albums to me and nothing I mean nothing in any part of any of these albums is bad or weak in any way

1 Dreams of Endless War - Norther
2 Mirror of Madness - Norther
3 Death Unlimited - Norther
4 Till Death Unites Us - Norther
5 Hatebreeder - Children of Bodom

You shood explain why and I agree whit Marcel Yhos ebands are not Melodic Death Metal, but extreme power metal

I did, because those Norther albums are better than any other cd's that have ever been made as far as I am concerned and that's good enough for me because I am 100% biased towards Norther.

Extreme Power Metal is what DragonForce plays, is Norther's music like that at all?

No CoB, Northen, Kalmah are extreeme power metal, because there are harsh vocals, and lil heavyer guitar sound, but keybord parts and that melody its power, and Dragonforce, Salamadra, Stratovarius........... are power metal,
----

apos;'
[image]
07.01.2007 - 17:41
Sunioj
Written by Bad English on 07.01.2007 at 15:45

@Cracass only one album are Gethenburg, but Death ist not wright band in this tread because its not gethenburg band and IMO in USA arnt real gethenburg bands

Yeah, I meant Melodic Death/Gothenburg, didnt mean to say they were Gothen... Im also to lazy to edit out Death...
08.01.2007 - 03:06
Eternal Flames
Well I'll keep my list to just my top 5 melodic death albums.

1. At The Gates - Terminal Disease Spirit
Well, I suppose we've got one of the founding bands of the melodic death metal sound here. It's got some nice melodies, the vocals are great. Slaughter Of The Soul was also a great album. It was quite hard to decide which one I preferred more, but in the end, I just had to give it to TDS. However, I think SOTS and TDS would equally be my top melodic death albums.

2. Carcass - Heartwork
Just a fast, aggressive album, yet still melodic. Mike Amott's and Bill Steers guitar duels are great and Ken Owen's drumming is just insane. And of course, Jeff Walker's vocals are brilliant. I really can't say much more about the album though, it's just a near perfect album.

3. Amon Amarth - Versus The World
As much as people consider Amon Amarth viking metal, these guys are purely melodic death metal. From the opening track, Death In Fire, this album just had me in awe. It is just a perfect release... has great production, the riffs are great. Johan Hegg is definitely one of the best vocalist. He's got great grunting style vocals but they are very controlled.

4. Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Well I've always preferred Dark Tranquillity over In Flames, and I think this album clearly shows why. The experimentation on the album is great. I really liked how they used female vocals on a few tracks. It gives the album a slight melancholic feel to it. Definitely Dark Tranquillity's best album. I definitely recommend this to anyone who has not yet heard any DT.

5. Quo Vadis - Forever...
Well, it's not pure melodic death metal. More technical than most other melodic death bands, but these guys are just amazing. It's just a fast and intense album the whole way through. The use of the violin in some songs also gives the album a more unique and original sound. I find it hard to finds very original bands in the genre, but Quo Vadis really impressed me.

There's a number of honourable mentions I could add, but I won't.
09.01.2007 - 04:56
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery : is the masterpiece of melodeath
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul - The Firs True, Melodeath Album for me
Soilwork - Figure Number 5 - Perfect vocals and riffs i think sweden is the best for this style
Arch Enemy - Wages of sin - the beest arche enemy album, burnin angel is fantastic
Nightrage - Descent Into Chaos - Agressive fast and evil at the same time

i think my opeth post was deleted well i think this one is better dont you think? anyway im still thinking Opeth is Melodic,,,,
----
Stay Metal !!!
17.01.2007 - 07:32
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
In no Order i would have to say:
Amon Amarth - Versus The World
Death - Symbolic (if that counts)
Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh
Hypocrisy - The Arrival
Carcass - Heartwork
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul
Arch Enemy - Stigmata
17.01.2007 - 16:56
Sunioj
Written by Immortal Plague on 17.01.2007 at 07:32

Hypocrisy - The Arrival

Good to see someone else that enjoys that album, my favorite is slave to the parasites.
18.01.2007 - 03:22
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
Written by Sunioj on 17.01.2007 at 16:56

Written by Immortal Plague on 17.01.2007 at 07:32

Hypocrisy - The Arrival

Good to see someone else that enjoys that album, my favorite is slave to the parasites.

Yea, that is a god album aswell, Hypocrisy are probally my favorite Medolic Death Band, cause they did Brutal Death and Medolic death, and still owned at both, Arrival is really my favorite though, i use to have 10 Years of Conformity and Confusion (greatest hits) but my girlfriend bought it off me. but its really good, any Hypcrisy album is good.
18.01.2007 - 23:43
RealCynic
Account deleted
1.Septic Flesh-Sumerian Deamons
2.Amorphis-Tales From The Thousand Lakes
3.AtThe Gates-Slaughter of the Soul
4.My Dying Bride-Turn Loose The Swans
5.Edge Of Sanity-Darkday
6.Dark Tranquillity-Projector
7.Arcturus-Aspera Hiems Symfonia
8.Rotting Christ-Triarchy Of The Lost Lovers
9.Carcass-Heartwork
10.Death-Symbolic

18.01.2007 - 23:46
Milan
Account deleted
Amon Amarth must be on this list \m/

Amon Amarth - Once Sent From the Golden Hall
Ensiferum - Ensiferum
Death - Symbolic
Wintersun - Wintersun

I don't consider Death a melodic death metal, but since I don't know who to put here...
Wintersun are considered melodic death right? They are fuckin awesome
13.03.2007 - 09:03
Danny Thomas
i noticed a lot of people have listed "At the Gates- Slaughter of the Soul" in their top 10, and i completely agree. it's just heavy enough to piss me off and energize me for hours, yet very soothing at the same time. can someone tell me what else by at the gates is worth listening too?
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
13.03.2007 - 09:25
Eight
Shapeshifter
Amon Amarth - Versus The World
In Flames - Jester Race
Gardenian - Soulburner a really great band, tho is not so known.
Arch Enemy - Burning Bridges
Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done

I pretty much find those most suitable for me, maybe there is some more, but at the moment i only had these in mind.
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
20.04.2007 - 19:10
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
For me:
Amon Amarth: Once sent from the golden hall
Every songs are perfect and are unique, with very catchy and excellent melodies, energetic/aggressive atmosphere.

Amon Amarth: with Oden On Our side
similar reason...

Amorphis: Tales from the 1000 lakes
although it doesn't sound much death metal at times, its still melodoc DM, excellent music, soothing melodies.

Hollenthon: With Vilest Of Worms To dwell
Its melodic folk SYMPHONIC DEATH METAL ! Really very very melodic and mesmerizing symphonic as well as guitar melodies.

some at the gates albums
excellent melodies, and reasons similar to those as mentioned above (except hollethon)
----
that which shines without names and forms...
20.04.2007 - 21:34
APOHAKC
The Bard
Amon Amarth: Avenger
Amon Amarth: Fate Of Norns
dark Tranquillity: All albums...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
20.04.2007 - 22:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by APOHAKC on 20.04.2007 at 21:34

Amon Amarth: Avenger
Amon Amarth: Fate Of Norns
dark Tranquillity: All albums...

I woud say AA all albums because thay realy are heavy and still whit old school sound but DT maybe first 2-3 + Projector awsome specely song ThereIn
----

apos;'
[image]
20.04.2007 - 22:44
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Hard to answer but it's near that for me:

1) "With Oden On Our Side" by Amon Amarth (a fucking masterpiece ).
2) "Liberation = Termination" by Mors Principium Est.
3) "Clayman" by In Flames.
4) "Wages Of Sins" by Arch Enemy.
5) "Natural Born Chaos" by Soilwork.
23.04.2007 - 16:26
Flame
1. In Flames - Lunar Starin
2. Dark Tranquillity - Projector
3. Insomnium - Since The Day It All Came Down
4. At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul
5. Insomnium - Above The Weeping World
6. In Flames - Jester Race
7. Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done
8. Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine
9. Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side
10. In Flames - Whoracle
21.09.2007 - 19:02
Warman
Erotic Stains
5. In Flames Lunar Strain
To bad that they don't have more albums with this sound. Dark Gothenburg Metal and it contains their two best songs!

4. Amon Amarth Once Sent from the Golden Hall
Yeah, they're one of the most overestimated Metal bands ever. But I can't deny how great this album is! I love this one because it's their first... all their other albums was just bad copys of this one. Hail Victorious March!

3. Dissection The Somberlain
Okay, it's more Melodic Blackened Death Metal, but it has the three magic words and therefore fits IMO. This one really is epic, classic and I just love the instrumental tracks.

2. In Flames Whoracle
Well, there's not really much to say. Insane and catchy album with cool vocals by Fridén.

1. Wintersun Wintersun
I know, many of you wouldn't consider it to be MDM. But it's a mix of many genres and I think that MDM is one of them Therefore this brilliant and amazing album is featured on the list.
----