09. Eradication Instincts Defined
10. Unorthodox Manifesto
11. Heavenly Perverse
12. Satan My Master [Bathory cover] [bonus]
13. Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse [Orchestral version] [bonus]
14. Eradication Instincts Defined [Orchestral version] [bonus]
+ Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse [video]
+ Photogallery

Although the last couple of years have seen Norway's leading elite melodic black metal act Dimmu Borgir release a mini live E.P. "Alive In Torment" [2001] and the C.D./D.V.D. set "World Misanthropy" [2002], it's the studio follow up to 2001's "Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia" that fans have been really waiting for with high anticipation.

Once again they have entered into Sweden's Studio Fredman for "Death Cult Armageddon", and what a monument result the band have accomplished. Dimmu Borgir has boldly upped the ante in every aspect of the genre with their seventh, and most powerful studio release to date, with "Allegiance" the first number to make a stand. In typical Dimmu Borgir fashion, the opener wreaks devastation from the opening bars, with the mix of traditional black metal and subtle orchestration.

It's only within the second track 'Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse' that you soon notice that the extremities have been pushed notably further to polar extremes with the grand orchestration playing the dominant epic nihilistic lead role. Soaring melodies [Vortex's operatic clean vocals] mix with demonic lows [Shagrath's distorted harsh sounding vocals] in this towering effort that almost sound soundtrack like. Guest vocalist Abbath [from the recently split up Immortal] adds his distinctive touch to a few lines at the beginning of the song, while also making his return in the experimental sounding 'Blood Hunger Doctrine'.

From here on in, the remaining epics making up the rest of "Death Cult Armageddon" move from the huge symphonic sounding monoliths such as the Norwegian sung 'Vredesbyrd' and 'Eradication Instincts Defined', while counteracting this is the pure black intensity of 'Allahelgens Drd I Helveds Rike', 'Lepers Amongst Us', the almighty 'Cataclysm Children' and the crushing album highlight of 'Heavenly Perverse'.

Both 'For The World To Dictate Our Death' and 'Unorthodox Manifesto' however bridge the gaps between both worlds with a stunning mix of black metal and orchestration, only serving to highlight the dynamics within the music.

Just like the accompanying artwork, Dimmu Borgir have moved forward once again into something new and unchartered, making "Death Cult Armageddon" Dimmu Borgir's most diverse and experimental album to date.

Along with the songs and stunning musicianship, the crisp production sound amplifies the dramatic nature of the album, making Dimmu Borgir all the more frightening while summoning the oncoming Armageddon upon the world of the weak and the frightened. Many so called purists will no doubt claim that the band have sold out, and complain that they've left their true metal roots behind, but my belief is the total opposite. Dimmu Borgir has simply pushing black metal that one step further beyond the predictable without losing focus on the scene's original ideals and beliefs.

Written by | 16.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Spyroid
Rating:
I am not a great fan of black metal, especially not fairly well-produced "raw"/"brutal"/"intense" black metal. I listen to some atmospheric stuff, but that's all. I am not a great fan of symphonic metal either, in my opinion not many bands succeed to create symphonic metal with enough quality. Rhapsody of Fire is one band that manages to do it, and Therion as well even if their symphonic arrangements are more in the background in some way. But with this album, the band Dimmu Borgir has managed to create my favourite symphonic metal album, and probably also my favourite black metal album ever. It's also definitely my favourite Dimmu Borgir album, and I know a lot of people will disagree here...

Read more ››
published 08.03.2007 | Comments (10)

Guest review by
TheH2K
Rating:
After Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia it is arduous for any musician to repeat something to that level, but Dimmu Borgir got really close to it.

As a normalcy, the album starts with a symphonic part, but the riffs in track 1 are not something distinctive. The orchestral part is really trying hard to help this track look exceptional but sadly unsuccessful in my opinion. "Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse" is the ooze of Mustis's talent; Vortex's clean vocals rule, and that sudden blast after the clean part when all of them are riding their instruments like a wild horse is terrific. The piano plays a huge part in this section, which is really noteworthy.

Read more ››
published 02.06.2020 | Comments (3)

Comments

Comments: 20   Visited by: 102 users
20.07.2006 - 19:22
dark awakening

I agree, that's a good review
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
20.07.2006 - 20:51
Damnated
Churchburner
It's really not my job to bash Dimmu Borgir on every corner of this forum, but this album was just bad. It barely had any metal feeling, I agree that the sympho parts are great, but they exagerated with it.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
20.07.2006 - 23:45
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Pfft. Listened to it a lot of times, over a timespan of about a year, and then decided to throw it away. All I say is, luckily I had a burnt version.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.07.2006 - 03:31
Rating: 8
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I didn't like it at first, but now I think it's pretty good. I can't really listen to it from start to finish though. The symphonic elements are great I really like Shagrath's voice.
24.07.2006 - 04:48
RazorOfTheLight
Account deleted
I have to say I stopped listening to Dimmu Borgir for quite some time although I must say this is my most favorite release of theirs if I'm in a melodic mood.
I have one question though... What's wrong with the audio quality? It's so quiet and subdued compared to Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. Did they get cheap knowing they would still make a lot of money anyway? Does anyone know the answer to this enigma?
24.07.2006 - 04:58
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 24.07.2006 at 04:48

I have to say I stopped listening to Dimmu Borgir for quite some time although I must say this is my most favorite release of theirs if I'm in a melodic mood.
I have one question though... What's wrong with the audio quality? It's so quiet and subdued compared to Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. Did they get cheap knowing they would still make a lot of money anyway? Does anyone know the answer to this enigma?

Bands usually screw up like that when they try to overproduce an album. I didn't think it was that quiet though, but it still had worse sound quality than PEM. Do you have a bad copy maybe?
25.07.2006 - 02:01
RazorOfTheLight
Account deleted
You can tell it's not as loud if you play it after a song of higher quality. Moreover, you can especially tell if you look at the sound scope and you'll soon notice that the sound waves don't nearly jump as high as they would otherwise. Just listen to Puritanical Euphoric M... and you'll notice a difference.

The other casualty to this is Dark Lunacy's newest CD, "The Diarist." I downloaded the CD before I bought it and it was so bad that I cancelled my order. In addition, I downloaded it from a pay site, which guarantees high quality just incase you're wondering.
25.07.2006 - 08:57
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
lol damn dude, that's pretty serious. I can honestly say that I've never looked at the sound scope of an album and analyze it. Maybe I should...
28.07.2006 - 10:45
Rating: 7
Megadeth88

This was another one of my favorite Dimmu Borgir albums and again it got boring. I don't know what's going on with this band. I mean I like the melodicness of the band it's just AHHH!! It's boring to me, and it pisses me off.
07.11.2006 - 01:27
Rating: 9
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
My favorite Dimmu album, pretty good review as well.

P.S.-this is my 500th post.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
12.01.2007 - 23:23
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
If you want black metal, check out some other band.
My fav. "BM" release beacuse of the orchestra - awesome!
22.01.2007 - 22:28
Sunioj

Ah, this album is ok, the older ones are much better, but the thing that gets my attraction on this album is the orchestra. I would give it a 7 or 6. This album was overhyped, theres other releases from that year I'd rather give an 8.5.
19.02.2007 - 17:49
Black Serpent
Account deleted
This is maybe the best Dimmu Borgir ever! The Symphonic parts really gives it a feel of Armageddon is around you. It makes you feel powerfull and majestetic^^

Hail, Dimmu Borgir!
19.02.2007 - 22:22
Bitch Boy

I liked the review. Actually, this is my favorite Dimmu Borgir album, but the review is fair, and so the rating is.

Written by Guest on 25.07.2006 at 02:01

You can tell it's not as loud if you play it after a song of higher quality. Moreover, you can especially tell if you look at the sound scope and you'll soon notice that the sound waves don't nearly jump as high as they would otherwise.

It also happens to my copy. If I listen to "Progenies of the great apocalypse" with my copy in my computer and then in the Myspace page, it sounds much more louder in the Myspace.
23.02.2007 - 21:52
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
No matter what some people say, I think this album is a landmark and a masterpiece. Brilliant musicianship and compositions.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
10.03.2007 - 05:35
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
I didn't know that abbath was a guest vocalist here! (however only in limited parts?)
good review.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
22.10.2007 - 20:32
Olli

I love this album, probably my favorite by them.
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
09.02.2008 - 05:00
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Amazing review and album. The symphonic is overhwlming and epic. Great album.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
05.05.2009 - 15:24
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
They made the orchestra play what the guitarists should have played. They made the guitarists play what the orchestra should have played. If they reversed who did what I would have liked this a ton more!

I will say that the opening track's lyrics should be rewritten to open a batman movie. It would have worked because as soon as I heard that I just though "BAAATMAAAAN!" in gutteral vocals.
----
05.05.2009 - 19:15
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Ph0eNiX on 05.05.2009 at 15:24

I will say that the opening track's lyrics should be rewritten to open a batman movie. It would have worked because as soon as I heard that I just though "BAAATMAAAAN!" in gutteral vocals.

hahahaha True. ''Progenies of the great apocalypse'' looks like Gotham City's theme!
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/

Hits total: 9825 | This month: 4