01. Unsilent Storms In The North Abyss
02. A Sign For The Norse Hordes To Ride
03. The Sun No Longer Rises
04. Frozen By Icewinds
05. Storming Through Red Clouds And Holocaustwinds
06. Eternal Years On The Path To The Cemetary Gates
07. As The Eternity Opens
08. Pure Holocaust

A lot of people think that black metal is a style based only on violence and absence of harmony, that there isn't a connection between the music and the lyrics, and that it's only Satanic stuff. These people are wrong and albums like "Pure Holocaust" are the proof. Norwegian Black Metal band Immortal (R.I.P.) has made history in its genre, changing the style after 1997 into a kind of Thrash/Black that brought the band under the lore of the Label Nuclear Blast. But I'm not here to tell the story of one of the greatest bands ever, so let's review the second work of the Norwegian black metallers.

After the debut album "Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism," which was created by Abbath and Demonaz (at the time thy were both about 17 years old), they decided to make something stronger and nearer to what is a "frozen tempest chaos." This project would be reached only with "Battles In The North," but "Pure Holocaust" is a passage-point and it's really important for this band. Each song shines of its own frozen and cold light. At the first listening the album sounds like a tempest that brings us into the world of Blashyrkh on which the lyrics of this band are based (and it's also the beautiful lyrics that make this album so great). "Unsilent Storms In The North Abyss" is the beginning. The first notes are really catchy, then the true riffing of the band (cold and fast) starts, Abbath is greater than ever. Another great song is "Frozen By Icewinds" which has a quite slow guitar introduction; riffs are mighty (great is the work of Erik on the drums), the song finishes with a great solo by Demonaz which makes this song one of the classics of this band. Another great piece of this album is "As The Eternity Opens" which gives the impression of infinity. All the other songs are great, I nominated only the best.
Though this album is not the best of this band, I think that deserves to be bought for all the black metal fans.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 7

Written by dark awakening | 16.06.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 24   Visited by: 240 users
20.07.2006 - 19:25
dark awakening

That's really a good album!
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
20.07.2006 - 20:45
RavenLord

Hmmm...the review's a bit brief (not bad, but could do with a bit more detail of the songs), but the verdict is correct. Pure Holocaust is truly a seminal BM album, and yet doesn't get caught in the cliches of the genre (satanism, loss of all riff/melody structure to production etc.); a damn good LP!
----
24.09.2006 - 04:56
Invoked
Account deleted
I disagree, BITN was good but definately not better. "Pure Holocaust" is Immortal at their finest moment. Their playing and songwriting talents are unmatched in the hectic world of black metal.
30.11.2006 - 23:23
Ulven i Manden
Account deleted
"Pure Holocaust" is pure Black Metal... it shines bright, black light...
Great, strong and fast album with amazing, dark songs...
One of my favourite Immortal LP...
27.12.2006 - 20:30
IhsahnFan
Account deleted
Great album!
06.01.2007 - 15:32
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
good review, but imo rating 9 would have been better.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
18.04.2008 - 12:35
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
yeah awesome album but too low rating
24.04.2008 - 12:41
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
any album with Darth Vaders theme in the title track gets a 10 from me. Plus its my favorite Immortal Release.
----
Coldgrits
16.12.2008 - 20:33
the napalm rain

Pure Holocaust means so much... I'm getting lost when I listen the song "as the eternity opens". Abbath's and Demonaz's song writing ability is really creative. I don't know why the reviewer gave to the production 7.. For the studios and recording systems in those years I think its perfect.
16.12.2008 - 21:38
dark awakening

Written by the napalm rain on 16.12.2008 at 20:33

Pure Holocaust means so much... I'm getting lost when I listen the song "as the eternity opens". Abbath's and Demonaz's song writing ability is really creative. I don't know why the reviewer gave to the production 7.. For the studios and recording systems in those years I think its perfect.

There are albums produced 5-6 years before than this that have a far better level of production.
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
16.12.2008 - 22:56
the napalm rain

I'm also sad for the people which put videos about Immortal on youtube especially "call of the wintermoon" they can't imagine anything, they don't hear what the songs tell... these idiots only watch and humiliate.
03.03.2009 - 06:32
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
The first album I listened from Immortal and still is one of my favorite BM albums, it is just too good, I don't have any problems to listen this again and again yeah!!!
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
23.05.2009 - 04:18
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
After listening to the excellent ''Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism'', this one seems a little worse. But still a very good piece of Black metal. This album is way brutal than many other from the band, but at the same time present the cold/horror atmospheric feeling that makes Black metal so great. Very good.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
23.05.2009 - 04:41
Lord_Regnier

Excellent album. I couldn't tell if it's my favorite, simply because I like all Immortal albums.

There's a mistake in the review. Erik Brodreskift (Grim) didn't play drums on "Pure Holocaust", even if he appears on the cover. Drums were played by Abbath. When Erik joined Immortal, the album was not released yet but the recording was already done.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
06.06.2009 - 19:12
Smurfophagist

Nice review, but I think that the rating is a bit low. This is a black metal masterpiece.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
12.11.2009 - 23:45
SatyriconChick

First Immortal album I ever got. Awesome stuff, probably enjoyed it better than Battles In the North.
11.08.2010 - 13:27
Rating: 9
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Songwriting: 9
originality: 9
Just imagine yourself in 1993, when most black metal bands still played bad stuff (Satyricon and Dimmu B just debuted, Emperor is nowhere, Marduk sucked, Transylvanian Hunger and De Mysteriis Dom Satanas was released only in 1994), and this album comes up with a disturbing title like this.
----
11.08.2010 - 13:57
RavenKing

Written by qlacs on 11.08.2010 at 13:27

Satyricon and Dimmu B just debuted

Satyricon released their best stuff in their early days, before they turned to black'n'roll shit.
As for Dimmu, I never liked anything from this extremely overrated band.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
11.08.2010 - 21:13
RobotPolarBear

Quote:
black'n'roll

Please tell me that's not an actual genre.
12.08.2010 - 00:19
RavenKing

Written by RobotPolarBear on 11.08.2010 at 21:13

Quote:
black'n'roll

It's a term used for some stuff like modern Shittyricon and Darkthrone's crust punk era.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
12.08.2010 - 07:49
Rating: 7
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by RobotPolarBear on 11.08.2010 at 21:13

Quote:
black'n'roll

You know it is!

I reviewed a black'n'roll band a while ago called LIK. Their discography page has links to all three of my reviews.

And ya, some people use the term loosely when referring to modern/popular melodic black "metal".
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.09.2011 - 14:55
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Great album, and yes, I agree about the production... This album could use a re-master. And I personally prefer Battles.
14.09.2016 - 00:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I agree this band stands above and same time BM has nothing to do whit st. ann, it stands above, ice, nature , snow, landscapes, forests, ... such bands lives longer and survives longer and are above to ordinary BM.... they will never get old its like der roz wrore revievs
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.06.2021 - 20:20
Rating: 8
BlankFile

Pure chaos, but in a good way. Great release.

Hits total: 12376 | This month: 12