Band: Sun Of The Blind
Album: Skullreader
Release date: March 2009

01. Cursed Universe
02. Lord Of Mind
03. Fire And Thirst
04. Ornaments
05. Vanitas

It's been pretty quiet around Darkspace lately, our beloved real-life version of the Total Perspective Vortex, but thankfully its members are not resting on their well-earned laurels. Well, at least guitarist/vocalist Zhaaral isn't, fellow members Wroth and Zorgh seem to have taken a break for a while. Oh well, each to his own, right?

So Zhaaral, who is that exactly? As said, he is the guitarist and one of the vocalists of Darkspace, and now he is also active as brain, body and soul of the Avant-garde Black metal band Sun Of The Blind. He's not on his own though, he has two companions in the form of "RM" (synths) and MH (vocals). First attempt of the new Swiss awesome threesome: Skullreader.

And trust me on this, it's definitely one for the space-obsessed Blackies out there. There's the obvious influence of Darkspace, especially in the guitar sound. But Zhaaral luckily didn't simply copy Darkspace's sound, no, he took it and added a whole lot of obscure melodies to it. And that makes the guitar sound downright awesome. It's like you see towers of bright and beautiful light rocketing up towards the heavens everywhere around you. Those are the souls of the starchildren, once bound by earthly shackles, now free to roam the vast and endless fields of Time and Space.

-Hey, usually I'm not so out-of-here, it's what Sun Of The Blind does to me.-

The other very important aspect of this album is the synthesizer. It is employed as counterpart of the guitar and with its infinite, open sound it accomplishes the guitar wonderful. They often intertwine and push each other to astral heights during the album, sharing small gems of melodies and sky high painter-like streaks of space colour with the listener. MH, who I suspect is a woman, counters the tortured shrieks of Zhaaral with dreamy, elusive and at first hard to notice vocals, like shadows against the inky cosmic blackness of the night sky. A nice finishing touch.

It may take a dreamer's mind to enjoy this, or a drug-riddled one. Or simply someone that wants to escape reality for a moment, someone that needs to wander among the stars for some time in order to find a little peace of mind. In any way, this is Avantgarde (or Ambient) Black metal at its best. A strong concept wonderfully written out in overwhelming music. One for the lotus-eaters.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 05.09.2009 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 31   Visited by: 217 users
05.09.2009 - 22:15
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Wow... This is actually pretty damn good. I'm hearing their myspace and the guitar sound is indeed amazing. The best part is that the music isn't a copy of Darkspace at all. Both have the space theme but play the music their own way.

The discovery of the month along with Process Of Guilt
Good review!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.09.2009 - 22:25
Thanntos

I had this in my collection for a couple months, was just waiting for a band page! Great album here!
----
I will kill you so hard you will die to death.
05.09.2009 - 22:29
Rating: 9
Ask

Good to see this getting some well-deserved attention. This is one of my top albums from '09.
05.09.2009 - 23:40
TheAmazingP

It's a great album, although I've not yet laid my hands on it. Oh well, another album that I just *have* to go and purchase.
06.09.2009 - 02:48
Tox

Why does it only get an 8 on originality? This isn't exactly conventional black metal. 10 would be too much, but 9 seems at least fair.
06.09.2009 - 06:35
Sunioj

Quote:
It may take a dreamer's mind to enjoy this, or a drug-riddled one.

Lol, good thing I have both of those.

Great album, good to see it get some attention.
06.09.2009 - 10:38
Crème fraiche

Haven't heard of Darkspace before, but i really like the song on their myspace
06.09.2009 - 19:07
Deadsoulman

On first listen I must say I'm impressed. I'm liking this a lot! That's what I'd call a useful side-project, as it doesn't sound much like Darkspace.

Btw, the end of your third paragraph is funny, this is more or less what The Angelic Process does to me, and I find the atmosphere of Sun Of The Blind to be quite similar to that of TAP.
02.10.2009 - 04:28
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I really liked this album the first few times listening to it. Pretty much just Darkspace with a progressive and production bump up. But, it got really boring and hard to listen to after a while for me. I feel like it's to predictable sometimes. Maybe it needs a bit more bite to it.
----
Coldgrits
25.04.2010 - 03:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Heard it once up to now, cause I got it for my birthday from a friend today, and I REALLY like it. imo it is better than Darkspace.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.05.2010 - 16:33
InnerSelf
proofread free
Is it anything like Chaos Moon
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
09.05.2010 - 01:12
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by InnerSelf on 08.05.2010 at 16:33

Hmmm, yes and no. Both are 'astral' Black metal with a 'celestial' touch, but place them under a telescope and they differ a lot. Still, if you like one you'll most likely like the other.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
09.05.2010 - 14:44
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Lucas on 09.05.2010 at 01:12

Written by InnerSelf on 08.05.2010 at 16:33

Hmmm, yes and no. Both are 'astral' Black metal with a 'celestial' touch, but place them under a telescope and they differ a lot. Still, if you like one you'll most likely like the other.

I thought after reading the review that the two bands have similar sound , and recently I was enjoying the whole "astral" side of metal with the great synths and keyboard work like Chaos Moon and even at times Shape of Despair
----
is not bold enough
10.05.2010 - 17:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by InnerSelf on 09.05.2010 at 14:44

I thought after reading the review that the two bands have similar sound , and recently I was enjoying the hole "astral" side of metal with the great synths and keyboard work like Chaos Moon and even at times Shape of Despair

I hope you just compared Chaos Moon and Shape Of Despair because of the keyboards and nothing more...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.05.2010 - 13:34
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.05.2010 at 17:57

Written by InnerSelf on 09.05.2010 at 14:44

I thought after reading the review that the two bands have similar sound , and recently I was enjoying the hole "astral" side of metal with the great synths and keyboard work like Chaos Moon and even at times Shape of Despair

I hope you just compared Chaos Moon and Shape Of Despair because of the keyboards and nothing more...

Just the keyboards nothing more...

but who knows maybe Funeral Doom is just down tempo Black Metal
----
is not bold enough
13.05.2010 - 21:59
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Digging this. great review, thanks for bringing it to my attention.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.06.2010 - 21:17
Krankheit
Account deleted
This is great stuff! Being a fan of Darkspace, I don't know why I haven't checked out Sun Of The Blind until now.
03.06.2010 - 21:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Definitely a very cool album this, it's interesting how they maintained the chugging sensibility of Darkspace and injected it with melody, incredibly successfully. My only complaint with it is that after a whole album's worth I find it a little saccharine at times, but only in a very minor fashion.
07.06.2010 - 08:51
InnerSelf
proofread free
It is as great as promised
I went on and got the Darkspace III also and now both albums have become an addiction
these two might be among the finest Black Metal albums I have ever heard
----
is not bold enough
02.03.2011 - 04:25
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Awesome album, thanks to this review for getting me into them and Chaos Moon.
02.03.2011 - 05:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Marcus on 02.03.2011 at 04:25

I'm assuming by the lack of Darkspace being mentioned, that you're already into them.

If not, get into them.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.03.2011 - 11:04
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.03.2011 at 05:35

I'm assuming by the lack of Darkspace being mentioned, that you're already into them.

If not, get into them.

I hate to say this but I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet Guess I'll bump Darkspace to the top of my "to listen" list.
07.03.2011 - 17:45
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie

If not, get into them.

Listened to Darkspace III last week. Liked it but I gotta say I enjoyed Sun of the Blind more.
07.03.2011 - 18:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Marcus on 07.03.2011 at 17:45

If not, get into them.

Listened to Darkspace III last week. Liked it but I gotta say I enjoyed Sun of the Blind more.

I prefer Darkspace II, but I'd take Sun of the Blind over I and III.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.03.2011 - 08:28
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.03.2011 at 18:15

Written by Marcus on 07.03.2011 at 17:45

If not, get into them.

I prefer Darkspace II, but I'd take Sun of the Blind over I and III.

Listened to II (seems like I'm hearing the trilogy in the opposite order) and while I liked it more than III there's still something about Darkspace that doesn't appeal to me as much compared to Sun of The Blind or Chaos Moon. I can't think of how to explain it necessarily, but I think Darkspace may be a little too "noisy" for me.
06.04.2011 - 02:57
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Marcus on 23.03.2011 at 08:28

I can't think of how to explain it necessarily, but I think Darkspace may be a little too "noisy" for me.

I think Darkspace is more atmospheric exactly because of all the noise.
10.04.2012 - 16:03
Oaken
Hipster
Written by InnerSelf on 07.06.2010 at 08:51

It is as great as promised
I went on and got the Darkspace III also and now both albums have become and addiction
these tow might be among the finest Black Metal albums I have ever heard

I haven't listened to Darkspace yet, but I second your opinion on Sun Of The Blind. You can't but sink and drown in those distant melodies and warm guitar rythyms.
Written by Ragana on 06.04.2011 at 02:57

Written by Marcus on 23.03.2011 at 08:28

I can't think of how to explain it necessarily, but I think Darkspace may be a little too "noisy" for me.

I think Darkspace is more atmospheric exactly because of all the noise.

Maybe, but I think Sun Of The Blind is much, much easier to get into.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
10.04.2012 - 16:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Oaken on 10.04.2012 at 16:03

That's because there's far more melody and far less noise ;] Much like Darkspace is probably easier to get into than Paysage d'Hiver (I would imagine, people may disagree about that but you have to consider the large amounts of melody in Dark Space III).
10.04.2012 - 16:19
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Guest on 10.04.2012 at 16:13

Written by Oaken on 10.04.2012 at 16:03

That's because there's far more melody and far less noise ;] Much like Darkspace is probably easier to get into than Paysage d'Hiver (I would imagine, people may disagree about that but you have to consider the large amounts of melody in Dark Space III).

Yeah, that must be true. I have to check out Darkspace and Paysage soon. Problem is, Paysage d'Hiver have a very big number of demos that I don't know where to start... I've read something that says they sound similar to the first two Blut Aus Nord records (Which own), but I could use some help concerning their best albums.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
10.04.2012 - 16:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Oaken on 10.04.2012 at 16:19

Yeah, that must be true. I have to check out Darkspace and Paysage soon. Problem is, Paysage d'Hiver have a very big number of demos that I don't know where to start... I've read something that says they sound similar to the first two Blut Aus Nord records (Which own), but I could use some help concerning their best albums.

I haven't listened to a great deal of Paysage but from what I've heard most of his stuff is pretty much the same across the board. I imagine 'Winterkälte' would probably be the best place to start.

Hits total: 7718 | This month: 15