05. Sarah Wanna Die
06. Fathers' Eyes
07. The Monsters Crawl
08. Eyes Of A Child
09. Heavy Rain
10. For You I Will Die
11. Underworld
12. Taste My Blood [bonus]
13. 20 Years Anniversary Song [Feat. Andi Deris, Doro Pesch, Rolf Stahlhofen, David Readman, Schmier & Claus Lessmann] [bonus]

Axxis are a fantastic band, they really are. They can put on one of the most enjoyable live shows you will ever see. Unfortunately however they never seem to be able to create the fun energy they create on stage, on an album. Utopia is album twelve from these German power metallers but the last seven of them all seem to have the same formula.

This means two things however. If you already like Axxis then Utopia will be right up your alley, no doubt about that. The album shows another solid performance with a number of catchy songs from the usual power metal gallopers to the odd ballad type. The second thing is; Utopia won't change anyone's mind about the band, any flaws in the past albums will be making a re-appearance here.

The album isn't an exact copy of the last though. Utopia actually has more of a keyboard presence and more of an electronic feel to it. Other than this though, the album is extremely similar to the last few. Yes, times have changed and all the rest of it, but looking back to the band's first three albums, the last few albums the band have put out in particular seem to sound so stiff in comparison. This is totally not the case when these experienced Germans take a stage, the songs flow together and there is a great energy through the whole show. Utopia sounds too up-tight, Axxis need to loosen up as if they were playing live when they record an album.

Of course Utopia has it's ups, but it also has its downs. Nothing about Utopia sticks out as being totally fantastic or mind-blowing, but on the other side nothing is so awful to draw attention to itself. It is the closing song "Underworld" that seems to be the high point of the album. Utopia is therefore regrettably, quite bland. This is Axxis through and through, the band have played it safe again by releasing another album of good, but completely unoriginal power metal. The frustrating part is that Axxis are a band that have so much to give their audiences and love to have a great time doing it, but when it comes to writing an album they never seem to be able to write the songs that capture the great spirit of the band.

Utopia won't surprise anyone that has been following the band for the last years, but maybe it will lead inquisitive new fans into the fun, charming world of Axxis.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 5
Production: 8

Written on 06.09.2009 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 134 users
06.09.2009 - 16:44
Baz Anderson

->
07.09.2009 - 08:01
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Baz Anderson on 06.09.2009 at 16:44

->

You would recognize the Pokemon, wouldn't you.
----
(space for rent)
07.09.2009 - 09:11
Baz Anderson

Yes.
07.09.2009 - 09:42
Fat & Sassy!

That album cover is fucking AWESOME.
07.09.2009 - 11:07
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Baz Anderson on 06.09.2009 at 16:44

->

TOTALLY what i thought at first glance. fantastic call.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
07.09.2009 - 15:21
Rating: 7
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Gryados is awesome too XD

anyway, a spot on review. It's catchy as hell, but a bit too simple and one the cheesy side. I listened to the album only once (last month) and I already have the chorus of "when monsters crawl" and "utopia" (still) stuck on my head.
----
loves 小巫
09.09.2009 - 23:30
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I wonder if the band had this in mind when confirming the album cover..who bets they didnt?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

10.09.2009 - 01:57
Baz Anderson

Obviously.

Hits total: 6903 | This month: 7