08. Soulreaper [alternate version]
09. No Dreams Breed In Breathless Sleep [alternate version]
10. Night's Blood [unreleased demo '94]
11. Retribution - Storm Of The Light's Bane [unreleased demo '94]
12. Elisabeth Bathory [Tormentor cover]
13. Where Dead Angels Lie [demo]
14. Antichrist [Slayer cover]
15. Son Of The Mourning

Dissection is a cult name in the world of extreme metal. In a time when Euronymous and the Inner Circle had declared war to false black and death metal, "The Somberlain" and the first demos of the band exploded like dynamites in the underground scene combining the groove and aggression of death metal with the essence and grim feeling of black metal. Jon Nodtveidt and his nocturnal companions had achieved something extremely difficult for the current time, they had become acceptable by both the death and black metal audience shaking the underground scene.

1995 came and the long-awaited second full-length album of Dissection, "Storm of the Light's Bane", saw the light of day making the whole underground scene praise the Swedish band for one more time. The death metal influences are still vivid but not as many as on "The Somberlain", the razorblade black metal riffing is deeply inspired evoking a strange melody in the air, the eerie vocals of Jon are utterly descriptive and the frost-evoking and nocturnal with a sense of bitterness lyrics contribute to the overall atmosphere that the guitars and the brilliant cover of the album evoke and all of them make "Strom of the Light's Bane" a diamond of darkness. Unfortunately Jon got imprisoned for the murder of an Algerian homosexual and Dissectionm this very promising band that with only two official releases made the whole extreme metal scene talk about them, remained under the ice. "Wail oh desolate gale?"

The album opens as you start falling "At the Fathomless Depths", an instrumental composition with an imposing mourning tone leading to "Night's Blood". A death metal outburst opens the song and the razorblade riffing follows. The guitar work is fabulous and atmosphere-evoking filling the soundscape with nocturnal melodies accompanying the eerie howls of Jon interpreting in exceptional manner the poetic lyrics evoking visions of darkness, pain and frost. "Unhallowed" follows and the one great riff comes after the other with their razorblade melodies harmonizing wonderfully with Jon's grim voice spitting curses here and there. An utterly lyrical composition, "Where Dead Angels Lie", continues the album. Acoustic guitar chords open the song and the riffing follows to step on their melody, a guitar riffing that evokes a sense of freezing melancholy in the air as Jon interprets in an expressive way the utterly poetic lyrics giving meaning to every single word.

The album flows wonderfully with "Retribution - Storm of the Light's Bane" and the riff machine of Nodtveidt and Norman keeps on unleashing fiery riffs in the soundscape; the guitar work is for one more time stunning enchanting the listener with its dreadful melodies pacing with the wonderful lyrics that farewell the light once and forever welcoming the everlasting darkness with Jon summoning the eternal night. A monumental composition, "Thorns of Crimson Death", follows. The melodies that the guitars evoke literary kill painting the soundscape with melancholic colors pacing with the dark yet mourning lyrics interpreted by Jon's descriptive howls. "Soulreaper" continues the album and the inspiration seems to be endless since the guitar riffing is deeply inspired paving the way on which Jon's vocals step to express the, for one more time, bitter lyrics. The album ends in melancholic tranquility with "No Dreams Breed in Breathless Sleep", an utterly dreamy composition evoking pure melancholy and sweet sorrow as the piano piece caresses your withering by the frost heart.
The Rebirth of Dissection is reality, the Phoenix has risen from his ashes. All we have to do is wait?

Written on 26.12.2004 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 31   Visited by: 442 users
21.07.2006 - 04:30
Rating: 10
..ExoTeaR..

Truly a damn master peice, thorns of crimson death is an awsome song its one of the first songs i first learnt to headbang with whilst i was playing it on the guitar, id do it to my faverd song nights blood but yeah bit to hard lol
----
[-0-] Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!
22.01.2007 - 22:58
Rating: 9
Sunioj

Geez, where all the comments for this masterpiece!
04.02.2007 - 21:08
brutal_name
Account deleted
divine.
05.02.2007 - 04:27
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
I have the Remastered 2006 version of this and truly is one of my favourite black metal albums in my collection.

Really good review for this metal masterpiece.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
05.02.2007 - 15:51
Sunioj

Its just perfect in every aspect, the flowing music fits perfectly in every passage from a fast paced with blast beats to a slower one with tremelo picking. It never gets boring, this is the model album in my opinion. One of the most interesting things I found is that the drumming is unique, its not abusive with blastbeats but also the drumming is very creative in each passage too.
10.02.2007 - 16:17
Agaatho

Truly one of the best metal albums in my opinion.
14.08.2007 - 10:06
Tron

an uncanny masterpiece...one of the best albums of our time! BUY THIS IMMEDIATELY!
----
After each game, the king and the jester go in the same box.
14.10.2007 - 19:09
Astaroth_666
Account deleted
have this album and its a fucking masterpiece...It is just insane
17.10.2007 - 07:12
selken
Irreligious
Yep, I just have a couple of months knowing this band, and they fastly became one of my favs!!
----
20.10.2007 - 02:22
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
On of the greatest metal albums in history. And the artwork kicks ass.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
26.12.2007 - 20:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
The Artwork is perfect... The songs are perfect... Everything about this album is perfect.
A true masterpiece which deserves to be on the wall of metal.

The feelings in the album are awesome, just insane... and the vocals are very good. Let's not even start with the amazing drums.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
26.12.2007 - 20:39
Warman
Erotic Stains
Certainly one of the best albums in Black Metal.
----
15.09.2008 - 10:36
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
really started getting into this album lately - really awesome album nice review!
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
15.10.2008 - 23:20
Kasper

I get goosebumps every time I hear this album.. Simply amazing.
----
"An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded"
17.10.2008 - 01:18
XAV_METALOGIST

Damn I Bought it Yesterday ... its one of my best record in my collection very rare sound ... its pretty particular they are truly insane .. where dead angels lie ,retribution ,Thorns Of Crimson Death and soulreaper are awesome tracks
21.10.2008 - 16:19
Arcesse Eum

This album is the Christ.
----
As above, so below.
07.12.2008 - 19:18
In_tallica

An absolute work of art!
It's interesting though that 1995 was such a kickass year for swedish extreme metal. In Flames - Jester Race, At the Gates - Slaughter of the Sould, Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery... I wish I had liked metal back then
04.05.2009 - 00:25
AngelOfDisease

Great review for one of my top 5 favorite albums
I'm getting this one in 20 days
21.07.2009 - 21:40
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Cult album indeed, one of my precious albums!!! and great review.......truly describes the feelings
16.08.2009 - 19:16
Solstafir!

Best overall album of all time in my opinion...from artwork to the songs themselves...
"Thorns Of The Crimson Death" all the way!!!:metal:
22.08.2009 - 20:59
taha_69

Truely one of the greatest albums ever
13.09.2009 - 00:44
Galar
Wicked Mung
One of the best albums ever
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
17.11.2009 - 14:58
-Soulreaper-

Only a 9.5 for this album? I'd give it a 10.5 if I could. Surely it deserves some extra credit for being one of the greatest albums of all time.
01.02.2010 - 04:19
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
I guess ''razorblade'' is the word for the album, according to the review

Excellent album, much better than Somberlain to me
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
30.03.2010 - 06:50
Winterthrone

This album is the the finest of the finest...its so perfect I almost cried the fist time I listened to it!
28.04.2010 - 16:24
In_tallica

Could somebpdy please telle me, I know for a fact that both Legion(ex Marduk and current band devian) and "It" from Abruptum have done guest vocal appearence on thia album. "Unhallowed" and "Soulreaper" features guest vocal appearence, you can hear that, but which one of theese guys is singing on what track?!
16.11.2010 - 03:54
Metalbound7

PERFECT in all senses! Beautiful, Epic and Dark at the same time. along with Opeth's Blackwater Park, this is the BEST album ever made! Hail Jon! Hail Dissection!
06.01.2013 - 07:22
Evil Chip

Flawless victory. Really great review too.
29.11.2017 - 15:36
Nisdtang

I'm desperatly looking for it's vinyl (mint or near mint) which released in 1995.
19.06.2018 - 18:48
metalriff

That scream in 'Where Dead Angels Lie'!
----
1001 Metal albums to hear before you die
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6531

Hits total: 20455 | This month: 51