04. Hammer Of Justice
05. Never, Ever
06. Born To Rule
07. The Templar Flame
08. Imperial
09. Take The Black
10. Knights Of The 21st Century
+ Blood Bound [video] [Digipak bonus]

Hello guys, now I am ready to write a review for one of my favourite bands: Hammerfall. Hammerfall is just another Power Metal band, but if compared with several others (I will not say which ones) they are pretty good. This is their fifth work but I have to say that I am kind of disappointed with the fact that the band that has made such good albums like "Legacy Of Kings" and "Renegade" can't do something better than this.

Now let me explain myself. When I first heard this album I excepted that it would be great like their previous albums were. And when I started to listen it was great, the first two tracks are really awesome. However, after those ones, things start getting worse. The chorus in "Fury Of The Wild" could be good, but in the end the pause suddenly appears and Mr. J.Cans sreams "Wiiiild" and that completely ruins the song. Next tracks can't compare to the first three, there is no speed in them, which is what Hammerfall is based on. Don't think that if the song is little slower that it usually is that it is bad. But Hammerfall does much better if the song is faster. But those tracks are not so bad if compared with the last track, "Knights Of The 21th Century". It has very long intro and outro, and both are simply useless. It has some silence, some screaming, useless of course. If you buy this album please use some program to cut several first and last minutes.

Performance is very good on this album, as well as production. No one can say that Hammerfall's musicians are not professional. But they have forgotten how to write awesome songs as they did before several years. Lyrics are still about victory, glory, knights, fights, hammers and all the other things that we have already seen. The songs sound similar, just worse than their previous. Also, I will say that their riffs are great, but we have already saw similar ones...

This album is not so bad in general, only one track is really bad. If you are Hammerfall fan, you will like this album, without any doubt. But if you are new to Hammerfall, you should better start with "Legacy Of Kings", "Renegade" or "Crimson Thunder".

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Metalhead2 | 12.04.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 77 users
15.09.2009 - 20:23
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Lol i actually think/hope Knights of the 21st Century is a joke, i mean, getting Conrad "Cronos" Lant to do guest vocals and actually taking the song seriously? "ze prophecy!!!!"

there's a few fillers here, but it's not a bad album imo(though shit compared to their former works), Blood Bound(as cheesy as the video is) is a great track, especially when used as a concert opener, Never Ever is a good ballad, Hammer of Justice is a great song in the vein of Stone Cold, Riders on the Storm and other thunderous-chorused Hammerfall anthems.
16.09.2009 - 00:24
Lord_Regnier

Funny to see a 'tr00 kvlt' kid like Metalhead2 who enjoys such cheesy commercial music.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
16.09.2009 - 01:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Lord_Regnier on 16.09.2009 at 00:24

Funny to see a 'tr00 kvlt' kid like Metalhead2 who enjoys such cheesy commercial music.

That's when he wasn't "tr00 kvlt' & and Anusite yet
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.09.2009 - 01:53
Lord_Regnier

Oh! I guess it explains a lot, then. Quite a change, if you ask me.
----
16.09.2009 - 02:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Lord_Regnier on 16.09.2009 at 01:53

Oh! I guess it explains a lot, then. Quite a change, if you ask me.

Well, you probably know as well as me how impressionable those young kids are
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.09.2009 - 03:04
Lord_Regnier

They often change their mind quickly as soon as something new catch their fancy, yes.
----
07.11.2009 - 13:41
Rating: 6
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Quote:

They often change their mind quickly as soon as something new catch their fancy, yes.

People nowadays don't tolerate you if you are above them, sadly.

Learning should be banned!!
07.05.2017 - 19:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I agree its like but song Nr 2 is only and those others cheesy PM can be Stratovarius, Freedom call and so onb
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 5602 | This month: 8