06. Relentless Threat
07. The Wrath Of The Severed Head
08. Upside Down Church
09. Shredded Offering
10. Media Skeptic
11. Horny For Blood
12. Wrong Answer
13. Acid Sentence

Municipal Waste are back with another blazing fast offering of crossover thrash. Massive Aggressive lives up to its namesake. The band rips through 13 songs in a scant 28 minutes and change? it's an audio hurricane that showcases what we've come to know, love, and expect from the Waste.

The band is tight. Ryan Waste lays down tons of great riffs all at warps speed. Dave Witte is a beast behind the kit. Bassist Land Phil, who has traditionally gotten some space in the mix, now also gets the opportunity to show off some of his four string chops (see "Relentless Threat"), and singer Tony Foresta still shouts along with his traditional, more on the punk side of the crossover phenomenon vocals. There are still plenty of great, tongue-in-cheek song titles, too, like "Upside Down Church", "Horny For Blood", and "The Wrath Of The Severed Head."

The biggest things to musically distinguish this album from 2005's Hazardous Mutation and 2007's The Art Of Partying are the fact Phil gets to flex a bit more muscle (a good thing), Ryan's guitar tone is more crunched into the midrange, making it sound a bit harsher and less crisp than in past efforts (a "meh" thing, not sure if I prefer the new tone), and there is one, very short, guitar solo.

All in all, it's an enjoyable, ripping album. It is, in fact, massively aggressive. However it ultimately falls just a tad short of its predecessors. Not that I'm wishing that Municipal Waste turn into some crossover version of Korpiklaani with each MW album featuring prerequisite songs about booze, bongs, and partying like we are on the eve of the zombie apocalypse. (We are - plans are proceeding on schedule) However this album was a bit lacking in the wink/smile fun of their last couple and would have benefited from something with the spirit of "Lunch Hall Food Brawl" or "Bangover."

High points are "Upside Down Church" and "Media Skeptic."

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 16.09.2009 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 194 users
16.09.2009 - 03:44
Rating: 7
*!*

Didnt hear their first album, but definitely nt better than thier last two, nt bad tho but its the worst one from them IMO
16.09.2009 - 04:35
Rating: 6
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
From what I could tell the vocals sounded a bit more tired than on previous albums. But this review seems quite positive, so definitely going to check it out!

Quote:
Not that I'm wishing that Municipal Waste turn into some crossover version of Korpiklaani with each MW album featuring prerequisite songs about booze, bongs, and partying like we are on the eve of the zombie apocalypse. (We are - plans are proceeding on schedule)

This part was my favourite.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.09.2009 - 07:32
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Strange you say that tony foresta's voice is still the same. when they first started putting songs from this album on their myspace i wasnt amused by what his voice turned into compared to "the art of partying" and previous efforts. it seemed like his ferocity had diminished a bit. i guess i'll have to listen to the rest of the album to be convinced otherwise.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
16.09.2009 - 19:05
Rating: 6
HardSide

Written by LeChron James on 16.09.2009 at 07:32

Strange you say that tony foresta's voice is still the same. when they first started putting songs from this album on their myspace i wasnt amused by what his voice turned into compared to "the art of partying" and previous efforts. it seemed like his ferocity had diminished a bit. i guess i'll have to listen to the rest of the album to be convinced otherwise.

Couldn't have said it better myself, just started listening to it, but the vocals are worse than previous albums, not fast enough and looses the anger aspect that the other albums had.
21.09.2009 - 00:30
Rating: 8
sbgmetal

I enjoyed it had some great riffs, bass was awesome, drums were good as well.
22.09.2009 - 20:30
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I never said Tony's voice was the same, i said "he still shouts along"... the delivery style is still similar, no? it's not like he's DM growling/BM shrieking or hitting annoying FPM high pitched notes only dogs can hear - with falsetto.

i didn't hear quite the decline that you make it out to be. it wasn't significant enough to negatively impact my enjoyment of the album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 5430 | This month: 6