Disc II [limited edition bonus]
01. Deathaura [orchestral version]
02. The Last Amazing Grays [orchestral version]
03. Flag In The Ground [orchestral version]
04. Juliet [orchestral version]
05. As If The World Wasn't Ending [orchestral version]
06. The Truth Is Out There [orchestral version]
07. In The Dark [orchestral version]

The last five years have been testing ones for Sonata Arctica having run the wave of hype and enthusiasm raised by the first couple of albums dry. Critics have had a blast with the band in recent years, with none more victimised than the band's last output Unia. A couple of years ago Sonata Arctica looked like a shadow of its former self, but right now with the release of album number six, The Days Of Grays has shone a ray of light.

By no means is The Days Of Grays a return to the sound, style and form of the first four records. If you expect an hour of frantic double bass pedalling then look elsewhere, but what The Days Of Grays is, is Sonata Arctica at their most mature and adventurous yet. The Days Of Grays is not a grey album, it is in fact quite black and white, an album of two halves in a sense.

On one side we have some energetic, up-tempo and frankly refreshing numbers such as the opening trio of songs "Deathaura", "The Last Amazing Grays" and "Flag In The Ground". "Deathaura" is Sonata Arctica like never before; bombastic symphonies, unusual song structure and a helping hand of some female vocals kick the album off in quite a Nightwish fashion. The album does have some pace outside of these three songs, but the second half of the album presents us with the other side to the album.

On the other side Sonata Arctica draw slightly from their Unia influence in providing slower songs with less conviction than the first part of the album. The Days Of Grays is a reasonably long album, and some of these songs do drag the album down such as the slightly morbid "Breathing".

The good news is that unlike Unia, the band have provided top quality songs that are a little more modest in pace. The Days Of Grays is probably the first time the band have consistently done this, with the help of songs like the closing trio "As If The World Wasn't Ending", "The Truth Is Out There" and "Everything Fades To Gray", not forgetting the fantastically dark "Juliet".

Again Tony Kakko is the shining star of the album delivering possibly his most diverse performance yet. The Days Of Grays is the darkest album Sonata Arctica has ever put out, touching grey subject areas such as death and relationships gone wrong, subjects that no one likes to take time to think about. It may however take time to appreciate The Days Of Grays and its full potential, it is after all the most ambitious project the band have undertaken. Give it the chance though and you won't be disappointed, Sonata Arctica have found new life.

--

Heavy metal / Power metal
Nuclear Blast
Finland
Length: 59:20

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 17.09.2009 by Member of Staff since 2006

Guest review by
Milena
Rating:
The Days of Grays is an album that was eagerly anticipated by the public, mostly due to the fact that some reviewers, who got to listen to it beforehand, labeled it as an album halfway between Unia and Reckoning Night. But I'd disagree with that-it's between the two albums only in terms of complexity. Musically, it's again a whole new Sonata Arctica. Don't worry though, the elements that make the very soul of the band are still more or less present and I shall discuss them below.

Read more ››
published 29.03.2011 | Comments (7)

Comments

Comments: 90   [ 5 ignored ]   Visited by: 609 users
17.09.2009 - 18:03
Rating: 1
Zenzero
Zenzero
I really don't like it, it's as bad as Unia!
17.09.2009 - 18:22
Dominus
The Shooter
Written by Zenzero on 17.09.2009 at 18:03

I agree.
Boring and bad!!!
17.09.2009 - 18:31
Rating: 8
Janne
Hugin
I like it very much! more than Unia! as barry 'said a ray of light'
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
17.09.2009 - 18:36
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I would say the review is fair enough
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

17.09.2009 - 19:05
Rating: 7
juanopereira

I think it's better than Unia but worst than their other albums.
17.09.2009 - 19:15
Richard Numbah

Yeah, this album picked up right where Unia left off. Layered vocals, keyboards drowning out the guitar parts. Some of the guitar parts are great, too. Elias really is amazing and can hold his own as a replacement for Jani, but when you can't even hear his leads it really ruins the album.

Flag in the ground is a terrible song. I thought solo would make up for it... but that only lasted 2 seconds.
17.09.2009 - 20:55
Rating: 9
Ivan
Retired Admin
I liked Unia and I love the new album - I like that the band keeps progressing from album to album, always trying new things (as opposed to just repeating their Ecliptica success over and over again). Both arrangements and lyrics are now a lot more mature, varied and interesting. Really enjoying it.
17.09.2009 - 21:30
Kinzoku

Better than Unia, but still dull and boring.
17.09.2009 - 22:15
Darkside Momo
Retired
Didn't liked Unia at all (what a failed excuse of a prog album) but I'll have to check this one though.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
17.09.2009 - 22:49
Quinaitor

Written by Ivan on 17.09.2009 at 20:55

I liked Unia and I love the new album - I like that the band keeps progressing from album to album, always trying new things (as opposed to just repeating their Ecliptica success over and over again). Both arrangements and lyrics are now a lot more mature, varied and interesting. Really enjoying it.

I agree but still... this album is just too dissapointing... I love the Unia sound... but still Unia is even more heavier than this one... TDOG is way too slow... making the band not so power metal... lyrics are impecable of course as EVERY Sonata Arctica album has AWESOME LYRICS... that is absolutely no surprise... still I hate the fact that the sound is boring... solos are practically gone =S... imagine a concert of this album... i'd kill myself O_O
----
Metal is flowing through my veins...
17.09.2009 - 23:39
Rating: 6
Fat & Sassy!

"... relationships gone wrong, subjects that no one likes to take time to think about."

What? Aren't most songs about things like this? :O

Gonna check out this album. Sounds promising,
18.09.2009 - 00:48
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Im with the guys who hated this... progressing sucks...
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
18.09.2009 - 01:05
Raziel X

I didnt like Unia except of Paid in full, it was a bore... but TDOG is like Unia should have been done... an attempt to sound different finally gone well
I like this album and it redeemed Sonata in my eyes
18.09.2009 - 01:07
BlankFile

Well another release from my favourite band, since the last century heheh. After the release of Unia, wich i honestly think that is an amazing album, off course different from the previous releases, the Days of Grays came out. What can i say about this new material from one of the best Finnish bands? This album proves once again that this new style of music is here to stay, and i like it very much. I mean lots of people made complaints after the release of Reckoning Night, saying that the band was too repetitive, and needed to change some things in their style, and now that the band actually made such changes starting with Unia, they all think that the band plays boring and unpleaseant music. Come on people you know thats not true! make up your mind already!
About the album i have to say that it resembles a bit like Unia, altough Unia is more heavier and maybe faster than this album, but that doesn´t mean that Unia is better that TDOG. I think they are equal in terms of general quality to be honest,and this album has some special moments like "Dethaura", "Flag in the Ground", "Juliet" and the beautifull and maybe one of the best 10 songs of Sonata Arctica ever "The Last Amazing Grays", brilliant song!
Well in conclusion i have to say that TDOG, is not the best album of Sonata Arctica (the best is still Silence... Lets be honest a masterpiece like Silence... is very hard to surpass), but still is a very enjoyable Piece of Power Metal (Yes the band is still power Metal, ok slightly progressive...) and another great achievement by all the musicians of Sonata Arctica. Stay Metal dudes |m|
18.09.2009 - 01:27
soyrock

I really hate it. I just couldn't listen to all the album because I couldn't stand it. I am so disappointed...
18.09.2009 - 01:41
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
I didnt really think much of it, and its not about the progression of sound i dont like. I havent even heard Unia yet keep in mind, i will get it eventually.

I dont like they way they are exploring with concepts and adding complexity into their music. I dont think it fits with SA. The reason being, they are much better as a band playing catchy individual songs, rather than having a deep, orchestrated complex album. It sounds all over the place. Im getting tired of bands who try and be adventurous, but create something that is a mess and you cant just grab a song and sing along to it. Some bands can do it well with their sound, others cant.

It might grow on me yet, we shall see.
18.09.2009 - 02:43
Baz Anderson

Well I think it definitely seems like this is a love or hate album then! Hahaha.

On a side note, before I listened to this album I was not a Sonata Arctica fan at all. I really liked this album and so it made me curious to give their early stuff a proper go too. Have to say I love the band at the moment.
18.09.2009 - 10:34
Rating: 7
SexyCat_1113

Written by Zenzero on 17.09.2009 at 18:03

Yes,I agree。。。
18.09.2009 - 11:47
Rating: 9
LostBoy

I think i'm on the "love for this album " side xDD it's, in my oppinion, the best way Sonata could take to progress in their career, i'm a little bit bored of typical double bass fast power metal...
----
If listening manson + rammstein + him + the rasmus + nightwish + within temptation = Goth, then... Cradle of filth = Black Metal ?
18.09.2009 - 11:57
Rating: 4
Devilspeed

I thought it was slightly better than Unia, which still makes this a garbage album.
18.09.2009 - 16:06
SteTech

I like all of Sonata's albums. Unia took a while to grow on me, but I liked Days... instantly the first time I heard it. Sure it's not old Sonata, but I for one like a bit of variety and most of the material will fit in in their live shows. I'll be seeing them in London in December and I look forward to it muchly!
18.09.2009 - 18:12
Dargor

I really really like this album. I Feared they were about to go backward and make Ecliptica 2 (not that I wouldn't like it but I prefer their new sound) but in fact, it sounds more like Unia with a boost a la Reckoning Night. I loved Unia but now it's like Unia is missing something compared to The Days of Grays. I've never heard anything like that before, it sounds truly unique!

Major Kudos Sonata!
18.09.2009 - 18:22
RainFillsRivers

Its not even metal anymore. Its all a bunch of over orchestrated rock to attract marketing from scene and emo chicks who are into twilight or sweeny todd or other depressing bull**** like that, which this could be the terrible soundtrack to.

I am very dissappointed Sonata.:nono:
----
- Wrainth
18.09.2009 - 21:29
BlankFile

Impressive how people change their minds, like they were changing their shorts...
18.09.2009 - 22:37
Fat & Sassy!

Written by RainFillsRivers on 18.09.2009 at 18:22

Its all a bunch of over orchestrated rock to attract marketing from scene and emo chicks who are into twilight or sweeny todd or other depressing bull**** like that, which this could be the terrible soundtrack to.

Sonata Arctica has been one of the most accesable metal bands since Ecliptica. I know quite a few girls who dig them, and I'm not talking about metalheads either (And I live in the US). Shit, I think even my mother likes some of the songs she has heard by them.
19.09.2009 - 09:26
Rating: 2
opeth771

Ive been a SA fan for a long time, but since Unia, the band has disapointed me... The band is simply not the same anymore since Jani left... They seem to have lost all the passion of playing together.

Unia was utter trash, and this is not better, it sounds pretty much like Unia....

The only good song of the album is "Flag In The Ground" which reminds me of "Victoria's Secret", very good song.

I just want them to return to their old sound... Their music was top quality, but years after years, they have become worse.

Redemption has just released one of the best albums I have ever heard in the last few years (snowfall on judgement day) check them out guys!
19.09.2009 - 16:36
Rating: 10
-Mayhem-

This is the best thing they have ever made.
Ecliptica is boring and unoriginal Silence was a lot better WHG had good atmospheres and RN was a great as a whole but Unia hit the jackpot and now they just improved.
19.09.2009 - 19:24
Rating: 2
opeth771

Written by -Mayhem- on 19.09.2009 at 16:36

This is the best thing they have ever made.
Ecliptica is boring and unoriginal Silence was a lot better WHG had good atmospheres and RN was a great as a whole but Unia hit the jackpot and now they just improved.

I hope you are not serious dude..... this is pure cheese
19.09.2009 - 19:50
Rating: 10
-Mayhem-

I am seroius.
And about 90% on the official forum agree with me BTW.
You may check that.

I just don't have any idea why wouldn't people like this.
I mean they have good reviews too. Mostly at least.

I have no idea how this album got either huge praises or huge hate when Unia was usually declared ok- or really good.
19.09.2009 - 22:23
Fat & Sassy!

Written by -Mayhem- on 19.09.2009 at 16:36

Ecliptica is boring

TAKE.
IT.
BACK.
D:<

Hits total: 18573 | This month: 14