02. March Of The Fire Ants
03. Hail To Fire
04. Where Strides The Behemoth
05. Battle At Sea
06. Mother Puncher
07. Burning Man
08. Workhorse
09. Crusher Destroyer

An album like Remission deserves a good different review?I thought the most alienated ideas, but I came to mind of a little thing I used to make in primary school, flowing ideas, or flowing thoughts.

Ideas storm:
-Remission is an incredible album, it has all the musical twists you could ask for in a band, melodies(Ol'e Nessie, a great song with an incredibly overwhelming harmonious intro), Brutal riffs(March Of The Fire Ants, Workhorse), The most complex Drums in the genre(every single song is a good example), the most awesome guitars (with some slow yet great solos, check Trampled under Hoof).

-The drums; it's very difficult to find a good drummer within this genre, every song has great drums, an insane performance with the high drum, the toms are well executed (specially when Brann Dailor plays with those 8th's 6th's and the floor toms) the cymbals are a blast, clean as new glass, the ride is the best ever(amazingly in time with the bass and the hi-hat), and man the crash is awesome, Mastodon's chief instrument is definitely the drums.

-Every song has a little intro, (the best one is the one in Marc Of The Fire Ants), a little prelude to what the song is going to be, but I think the band made this only for execution issues, to polish the song, to demonstrate of what they are made of, to show their Skills.

-I can't talk about the best song on Remission, every song is really inconceivable, multifarious, wonderful, magnificent, superb, and every synonym you can think of, from Crusher Destroyer(a blasting brutal song, with the most aggressive and violent structures) to Elephant Man( the most calm and complex song in the album, great solos, great pulse, everything, well except that weird hidden distortion after the 7th minute), Workhorse, Trainwreck, Ol'e Nessie, March Of The Fire Ants, Trilobite, every single song is spectacular.

-Everything within this album is historical, I am sure that Mastodon is going to change the way people see metal (though I do not know if this is a good thing or a bad thing), I loved this album from the beginning to it's end, I Highly Recommend it for people who wants different types of music, extreme yet progressive, violent yet mellow, insane yet beautiful.

Written by Herzebeth | 03.01.2005

Comments

Comments: 41   Visited by: 239 users
21.07.2006 - 18:14
Rating: 10
bangladesh

Great album and great review, i agree with all you say and specialy about the drumer Brann Dailor, he is amazing and unlike drumers from death metal, he don´t gets repetitive
22.07.2006 - 06:38
Despised Icon
Account deleted
Great album, drumming is fantastic.
24.07.2006 - 01:19
Mordack
Account deleted
Great review for a fantastic album. For me this album is on par with Leviathan in terms of greatness. This band keeps making great music.
27.07.2006 - 20:33
Endoftherainbow

Great review for an amazing album. I agree with everything you say about this album, and yes the drummer is amazing. This album also has so unforgettable riffs.
29.01.2007 - 11:28
lenesu

Very good review.This album is realy a classic and the author got it right when he wrote the real fact why Remissions is so good. Still, there is an best song- Ol'e Nessie.
06.06.2007 - 15:57
Jotun_01
Account deleted
I just can't get into this Mastodon album, I love Blood Mountain and Leviathan.
18.06.2007 - 12:03
lenesu

thats bad for you. This is their best album. Their most instrumental, most metal...
07.11.2007 - 06:32
OminousDeath
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.06.2007 at 15:57

Are You Crazy? This By Far There Best Album!!!
29.11.2007 - 15:14
Jotun_01
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 07.11.2007 at 06:32

Dude, you have your own opinion about shit and I have mine. I think this is Mastodons worse album.
05.12.2007 - 22:54
ArcanaHereticae

Written by Guest on 29.11.2007 at 15:14

Dude, you have your own opinion about shit and I have mine. I think this is Mastodons worse album.

I agree, it seems as if the riffs have been downtoned and since the semi-Metal vocals are gone, can they even be called a Metal band anymore? ANymore, they just sound like a normal band on the radio, one of those fucking "Rock" bands.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
30.01.2008 - 17:29
Rating: 7
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
amazing review. Just reading it made me want to get into Mastodon.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
05.03.2009 - 17:03
Jotun_01
Account deleted
Written by ArcanaHereticae on 05.12.2007 at 22:54

Written by Guest on 29.11.2007 at 15:14

I agree, it seems as if the riffs have been downtoned and since the semi-Metal vocals are gone, can they even be called a Metal band anymore? ANymore, they just sound like a normal band on the radio, one of those fucking "Rock" bands.

Yes they can still be called a metal band. I have been listening to this album alot for the past 2 days and I think I'm starting to get into it, but it still isn't my favorite mastodon album. My favorite song on this album is probably Elephant Man.
12.03.2009 - 00:13
AngelOfDisease

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 30.01.2008 at 17:29

Hehe... same here
31.05.2009 - 19:03
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by AngelOfDisease on 12.03.2009 at 00:13

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 30.01.2008 at 17:29

Hehe... same here

And it is worth it
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
31.05.2009 - 20:29
AngelOfDisease

Written by Uirapuru on 31.05.2009 at 19:03

And it is worth it

yeap, I am listening to this, leviathan and call of the mastodon (not at the same time of course xD) and they are great!
10.07.2014 - 09:37
Ganondox

Written by ArcanaHereticae on 05.12.2007 at 22:54

ANymore, they just sound like a normal band on the radio, one of those fucking "Rock" bands.

Are you fucking kidding me? Have you ever actually listened to radio rock? Not only are they still clearly metal, but they have one of the most unique sounds around, it sounds nothing like post-grunge. Might as well say old mastodon sounds like genrical death metal, it's as accurate as your claim.
10.07.2014 - 17:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Ganondox on 10.07.2014 at 09:37
Are you fucking kidding me? Have you ever actually listened to radio rock? Not only are they still clearly metal, but they have one of the most unique sounds around, it sounds nothing like post-grunge. Might as well say old mastodon sounds like genrical death metal, it's as accurate as your claim.

He probably isn't going to respond to that - it's a comment from 7 years ago and he hasn't been online in almost a year.

Although it wouldn't have been worth the argument anyway. If someone thinks Mastodon (at any stage of their career) sound like radio rock, they are either trolling or just really don't have a good sense of what's what.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.07.2014 - 05:27
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.07.2014 at 17:22

He probably isn't going to respond to that - it's a comment from 7 years ago and he hasn't been online in almost a year.

Although it wouldn't have been worth the argument anyway. If someone thinks Mastodon (at any stage of their career) sound like radio rock, they are either trolling or just really don't have a good sense of what's what.

Mastodon on the radio - if only!
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
11.07.2014 - 09:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Ace Frawley on 11.07.2014 at 05:27
Mastodon on the radio - if only!

No kidding, maybe I'd actually turn the thing on once in a while if that were the case...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.07.2014 - 09:44
no one
Account deleted
I hear mastodon on the radio everyday lately, on one of the most popular radio stations too.

i honestly passed them off for radio rock myself, the radio station that are always playing them is called THE ROCK
11.07.2014 - 18:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 11.07.2014 at 09:44
radio rock

How do you mistake sludge metal for radio rock? It's not like they blur the lines, especially on their earlier albums.
----
11.07.2014 - 23:34
no one
Account deleted
I have only heard the one song they always play which i think is off there latest album....and i have only heard it on the radio station "the rock".
I'm not one to be able to define sludge amazingly well, but it sounded pretty rock to me.
12.07.2014 - 01:14
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Guest on 11.07.2014 at 23:34

I have only heard the one song they always play which i think is off there latest album....and i have only heard it on the radio station "the rock".
I'm not one to be able to define sludge amazingly well, but it sounded pretty rock to me.

I don't think I listen to anything defined as "sludge" so I'm not really sure what it is either. Like you, I just think Mastodon are rock. Pretty damn good rock as well. Maybe those really interested in all the definitions and sub-genres will rain down on me for my ignorance but I don't care. I love it. I call it rock. Doesn't matter in the end. Pretty cool you are hearing them on radio. To be honest, I don't listen to radio much anymore.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
12.07.2014 - 01:18
no one
Account deleted
Written by Ace Frawley on 12.07.2014 at 01:14

I don't think I listen to anything defined as "sludge" so I'm not really sure what it is either. Like you, I just think Mastodon are rock. Pretty damn good rock as well. Maybe those really interested in all the definitions and sub-genres will rain down on me for my ignorance but I don't care. I love it. I call it rock. Doesn't matter in the end. Pretty cool you are hearing them on radio. To be honest, I don't listen to radio much anymore.

i have to listen to radio all day everyday at my job, even if a song is good it will be killed eventually by hearing so it many times.
17.07.2014 - 10:04
Ganondox

To be fair, I have heard Mastodon on a rock station on an airplane radio, but just because it's rock and on a radio does not mean it's "radio rock", it's still metal, non-extreme or otherwise underground metal get's on rock radio stations a lot, and even though the radio station was featuring a Rush's latest album, the Mastodon song, which was the rockiest song from the album, was still the heaviest and most bizzare song on the whole station.
09.08.2014 - 23:58
ArcanaHereticae

Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.07.2014 at 17:22

If someone thinks Mastodon (at any stage of their career) sound like radio rock, they are either trolling or just really don't have a good sense of what's what.

Actually, if someone thinks Mastodon is anything more than a generic Rock band trying to be edgy, they're an exceptional individual with discerning taste.

Are you fucking kidding me? Might as well say old mastodon sounds like genrical death metal, it's as accurate as your claim.

Whatever kid. Go listen to Disturbed.

edits by Bitter to raise the bar of discourse.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
10.08.2014 - 00:01
Rating: 6
Ilham
Giant robot
Great attitude.
10.08.2014 - 00:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Wow, a 25 year old kid calling someone of his own age a kid
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.08.2014 - 00:43
Lit.
Account deleted
I don't appreciate the context of how he's referring to Disturbed.
10.08.2014 - 01:41
Rating: 9
moonflash

Written by Guest on 10.08.2014 at 00:43

I don't appreciate the context of how he's referring to Disturbed.

I second that. Even though I don't listen to them that often anymore, I will always have that nostalgia driven soft spot for those dudes. Loved Indestructible too!
----
[http://atthematinee.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/voyagedans.jpg]

Hits total: 12045 | This month: 17