Metal Storm logo
Your musical evolution.

Original post

Posted by Haddonfield, 22.09.2009 - 18:13
There's is a thread asking how people got into metal, this is not what this thread is about. What I want to know is how your music tastes have evolved throughout your life. Here's my musical evolution:

I got my first single when I was 4, my father asked me if I wanted a single (was still on vinyl back then, which does make me feel a bit old), I was over the moon, and immediately grabbed Status Quo's In the Army Now. My first musical memories are of Elvis Presley who my mother listened to all the time and Michael Jackson, my mother had bought the Thriller album on tape and I listened to it all the time. For my 4th birthday, my father asked what I wanted, I asked him for two posters for my bedroom, you've probably guessed, Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson. My father didn't really want to buy me them, he wanted me to have a toy or something but my mam said that if I wanted the posters then he should get me them (Michael Jackson was still black on the poster, that to makes me feel old). After that my next souvenir was asking for Europe's Final Countdown for Christmas just before my sixth birthday, my mam gave me an old vinyl player so I could listen to it in my room, which I did all the time. I also spent most of my Sundays playing music for my mam, I'd get the vinyls out and play them for hours. My favorites were Elvis, The Stranglers and some of the Beatles stuff. My parents never really listened to rock, my father doesn't listen to much music and my mam is mainly a fan of 70s pop. However, I do remember my father playing the Moody Blues when he was of work, he used to make me and my brother believe that the voices on the tape were aliens talking to us. After that, when I moved to France, I started to listen to pop music, the dance scene from the early 1990s, I had problems settling in because I was different (being English) and wanted to fit in the best posible so listened to music I didn't really like. The fist CD I bought was Bon Jovi's Cross Roads when I was 12. Then I got Michael Jackson's History, I bought it for the CD with his old tracks, the other I hardly ever listened to. When I turned 14, I decided that I would only listen to music I liked and that if I didn't fit in, then it didn't matter. I immediately felt more confortable with myself.

When I was 14, I discovered metal through Korn's Life Is Peachy and Marilyn Manson's Smells Like Children, then Antichrist Superstar. A friend made a tape of Korn and Manson for me, I listened to these loads. When I got some money, I bought some bands that I had wanted for a long time. I got the first two Oasis albums, Blurs Parklife and Countrylife, Garbage's Version 2, the Prodigy's Music For the Jilted Generation then Fat of the Land and the one's I was dying to get, Nirvana's Nevermind and In Utero. Until I was nearly 16, I only listened to these albums, I was young still and had to save my pitiful pocket money up to buy any CD I wanted. In the summer of 1998, my father got me a job working for him. With this money I bought heavier albums. Coal Chamber's debut, Korn's first two, Soulfly's debut, Cradle of Filth's Cruelty bought thee orchids...When I was 16, I met my ex-girlfriend who introduced me to punk, for many years I listened to metal (the popular kind, as that's all I knew of, Calais being small and basically non metal) and punk in all it's forms, from classic 70s stuff to Hardcore of the 80s, through Street and Skate punk. Rancid, NOFX, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Exploited...I started to listen to more extreme metal when I started to attend Universtity, at the age of 19.

This period was my favorite, I made loads of discoveries. When I was in high school, I had asked people to lend me Metallica and Slayer alums to see if I would like them. Everybody would lend me Load or Divine Intervention, which I consider even to this day crap. At Uni, I met someone who finally introduced to real Metallica and Slayer and I immediately started listening to old school thrash metal. Remember this was before internet was massively available so it was hard to get hold of bands. In 2002, I discovered scandinavian mellow death metal and bought Arch Enemy, In Flames and Soilwork albums immediately. At this time, I still listened to punk and popular metal, along with some softer rock like, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Silverchair... When at Uni, I formed a death metal band and after six months, the band ended in a way that put me of music for a long time. By this time, I had internet and had discovered hundreds of bands, some good, others rubish. During a period of 18 months, I hardly listened to music (just some stuff like Norah Jones, Nancy Sinatra...) and didn't lift my guitar once. When I started listening to heavy stuff again, I was disspaointed with what was coming out, all the bands I'd loved where now bringing out albums of lesser quality. I decided to start looking at bands for the 70s, bands of who I knew a couple of songs that I appreciated.

For a long time, I didn't listen to much metal at all (appart from the classic thrash bands that I still enjoyed). I discovered albums that I hadn't listened to before. AC/DC, Aerosmith, Blue Oyster Cult, Led Zeppelin, Bob Seger, Bad Company. Deep Purple...I listened to a lot of classic rock and hard rock and loved most of it. This is still one of the genre's I listen to the most today. In 2008, I started to listen to metal again but having listened to classic rock and hard rock for a long period, I became more receptif to bands I disliked beofre, like Maiden, Priest, GNR, and a lot of the eighties metal scene. Today, my musical tastes have never been as broad, I've always considered myself pretty ecclectic when it comes to music, but today, I've never been so openminded. When I look back at my musical evolution, I've no regrets. Some bands I used to listen to a lot before may not interest me as much today but they are all part of what I am as a person.

Well this ended up being longer than I'd expected but I thought it would be interesting to see how people's taste evolve over years.
01.11.2009 - 13:58
NiederHaven
I used to listen a lot of shitful music (which I'll not refer)...
Til one day, a friend of mine, showed my Persistence of Time by Anthrax...
That was the style of music, which realises me, truly, I felt that... And I listen to metal because of that, cuz it's the musical style that completes myself...
And so, since that I made an evolution in metal, beggining in Thrash like Anthrax, Testament, Gama Bomb and etc...
My first fest was August this year, and so, the will to listen something heavier than thrash had become bigger...
Now I think that I'm a litte more into in the metal world... Now I usually listen to a lot of melodic and Technical death and melodic black metal, but still not forgeting the good ol'Thrash!
01.11.2009 - 16:57
Charly546
Stage 1: Music - don't really care.
Stage 2: Hey, this band called Judas Priest is pretty nice
Stage 3: Metal rules!!! (note the extra !-s)
Stage 4: Metal is just as good as every other genre of music, but for some reason I prefer it.
02.11.2009 - 20:54
Conservationist
Written by Charly546 on 01.11.2009 at 16:57

Stage 4: Metal is just as good as every other genre of music, but for some reason I prefer it.

Thank god! All genres are equal, and someone finally mentioned it!

I feel so much better knowing we're all equal.

It's not an unfounded assumption, thank God:

Quote:

Growing up in the West in its decadent phase, we find many false truths floating around us ? and these have their root in bad psychological pathologies that others have, which manifest themselves in unhealthy lifestyles justified by false mental concepts. The Right Hand Path
05.11.2009 - 03:57
Tormentor666
Well, I have always been into rock or metal... I remember at first, when I got interested on music, I used to listen to some Spanish punk rock along with classic heavy metal, but got fed up with punk and started to prefer metal. And now metal is almost the only music genre I usually listen to, although from time to time I listen to some other things, but always within rock.
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
05.11.2009 - 04:23
Endrin
When I was 14 my best friend gave me a Blind Guardian CD. since then i've been listening to metal almost every day!!!I started mainly with power metal groups, Gamma Ray, Helloween, Hammerfall and such, then moved on to Speed and Trash metal and here i am!
05.11.2009 - 04:34
Tormentor666
Written by Endrin on 05.11.2009 at 04:23

Trash metal

I think you mispelled.;)
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
05.11.2009 - 04:58
Culty
Hmmm this goes back fifth grade.
rap(5th)>then i kinda changed to punk the same grade. dont remember why.>i listened to nu metal but i grew to dislike it> lots of ska for a few months of ninth grade.> then out of nowhere (well actually i know why) i started listening to power, death, prog, and thrash> and here i am now and i listen to pretty much every metal subgenre besides the core genres. well grind is an exception.
----
Gfnttlr
05.11.2009 - 05:33
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I remember myself a few years ago, beginning to discover metal as though I was diving into a whole other world. It actually felt that way haha, and it grew to be my passion along with playing guitar, idolising Alexi Laiho and hungry for his musical talent. This was when I was around 14-15 years old, rocking some old Bodom, Maiden, old In Flames and so on. I loved the stuff. Of course I started discovering industrial quantities of metal bands and if you were to ask me what would be my favorite subgenre as of today, it would be no other than death metal (Suffocation, Cryptopsy, Morbid Angel).
Recently though my mind seems to be opening up to alot of other music namely Flamenco/Classical (Jesse Cook, Vicente Amigo), hip hop, ambient and more. Yeah I now listen to flamenco and death metal, big fucking deal. Now that I come to think of it, a wider range of music tastes keeps things much more interesting. I was so brainwashed by metal.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
29.05.2012 - 16:52
Rock--->Hard Rock--->Heavy Metal--->Thrash and Power and Speed--->Death Metal, Black occasinally.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
29.05.2012 - 18:52
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Started with Eminem and all those rappers back in earl grade school, moved into old school rock, then an unhealthy obsession with AC/DC, then the big four, then onto death thrash and grind. Then slowly but surely into the more boscure sub genres, now I'm dabbling indoom, and funeral doom.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.05.2012 - 20:19
Pennywise
Account deleted
I got interested in music at 10, listening with passion to hip hop of the 90s and early 2000s: Nas, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, DMX.. also much RnB and pop, looking on MTV and charts. At 14 I downloaded Slipknot and System of A Down songs for a friend, looking SOAD videos on youtube I went by videosuggestion on a Cradle of Filth video, the Cradle to Enslave and mutated into a metal head...
God bless the internet for that.
30.05.2012 - 06:51
Zealot644
I used to like anything with guitar in some way.

I started with Backstreet Boys >.> , moved on to Simple Plan, Local H, Trapt, Green Day.

Heard Lamb of God and Alexisonfire for the first time of my life. Everything but the vocals was awesome. Would listen to intros to Alexisonfire songs (pulmonary archery for example) but stop when vocals hit.

Found Breaking Benjamin (Still like 'em) and realized I liked the mixed style, plus they were good. Began listening to All That Remains around this time too...Was far more comfortable with metal.

Found melodic death metal in the form of Scar Symmetry...Never looked back. Can listen to almost any metal now.
30.05.2012 - 06:57
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Zealot644 on 30.05.2012 at 06:51

I started with Backstreet Boys

Respect!
30.05.2012 - 10:29
Warman
Erotic Stains
Building on my first post here, from 2009, I must say that I've become more and more pretentious. The bands I check out today are almost never the bands that get a lot of praise here on MS, it's more often a band with an "invisible" profile which I've stumbled over and has something that interest me, everything from their picture to the name of a song.

But the major difference is that I back then, during the '00s, was pleased with finding one band at a time, listening through their discography a couple of times. These days I just can't get enough of everything, when I find something new I often find something else directly. So much to hear, so little time.
----
30.05.2012 - 13:05
IronAngel
You'll have to forgive me if I make some chronological mistakes. I'm 23 now and my listening history goes back some 15 years. And sadly, there's no documentation for those early years.

I think 1997 was the big year for me. Two new albums got me into music for the first time: Hanson's Middle of Nowhere and Aqua's Aquarium. I was eight years old, and it was amazing. Some time later Ace of Bace was also hot. Looking back now, I probably would've fallen for whatever I got my hands on, and that it happens to have been Hanson was pure chance. Far from the worst pop band to start with, though.

Sometime in lower grades, I was also digging the eurodance of E-Type and Darude. This must've been 2000-2001, because I was already a fan when E-Type released Euro IV Ever, and Darude's breakthrough was 2001.

2001-2003: That's when I got into metal for the first time. It was through my cousins. It started with Nightwish, Stratovarious and Sonata Arctica. They'd play them to me and I'd hear nothing but a loud mess. But then I saw Over the Hills And Far Away on TV one day, and it just clicked. This was in 2001. Within a year, new bands followed as the floodgates opened: The 69 Eyes, Rammstein, Timo Rautiainen ja Trio Niskalaukaus, Iron Maiden, Children of Bodom, Kamelot, Dreamtale, then Sentenced, Charon, Gamma Ray and Helloween. Sometime during this time I also got into Moonsorrow, which was huge. It was a pretty heavy band to start my extreme metal career with. Ensiferum followed within a year.

2004: Registering on Metal Storm December 2003 would have a huge impact on introducing me to more metal. Fortunately, I've kept records of the albums I've bought since 15.4.2004, so we're on firmer ground. I remember Therion, Lacuna Coil and Blind Guardian being the first bands I discovered on MS. In 2004, I seem to have bought albums from bands like Ensiferum, Finntroll, Moonsorrow, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Avantasia, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Edguy, Wintersun, Bal-Sagoth, and even Immortal and Opeth. Swallow the Sun's debut was my first experience with doom. By this time my tastes were developing REALLY fast and I was hoarding albums several times a month.

This must be when I got into video game soundtracks, too. That was my first major step away from metal, and it would pave the way for my ambient and electronic music love later.

2005: The hot genres seem to have been power metal, folk metal and some black metal: in addition to Immortal, I bought some Emperor and Burzum. First experience with Bathory, too. I think Katatonia must have clicked with me this year; I'd bought Viva Emptiness when it was released expecting something like Sentenced, but it took me some years to grow to like it. Between 2004-2005, I'd acquainted myself with pretty much every major metal genre, though thrash and death never got me excited.

2006: In high school, I was really into Porcupine Tree, Katatonia and Opeth. My Dying Bride and I think even Reverend Bizarre caught my fancy at this time. At the end of the year I discovered the Gathering, and fell in love like I hadn't since Nightwish and Blind Guardian.

2007: This was an important year. Strapping Young Lad was my metal discovery, but I also got into Japanese rock/metal through D'espairsRay and Malice Mizer. Then I found Cardigans, which along with the Gathering took me further from metal. Then a friend played me Tori Amos at school. My heart stopped. For six years, she's been my absolute favorite artist.

2008: This year marks my total alienation from metal, as you can see from my MS posting history too. Tori Amos, the Gathering, Akira Yamaoka, the Cardigans, 22-Pistepirkko, Björk, Scandinavian Music Group, Flogging Molly, Portishead. I rediscovered Anathema, whose A Natural Disaster sounded way better than when I first heard it. A trip-hop phase, I think.

2009: The Finnish pop-punk group PMMP became important to me. My metal purchases seem to have been limited to Anathema, Katatonia, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, a Moonspell comiplation, and later in the year cheap albums from old favorites Stam1na and Reverend Bizarre. I got into post-rock with Magyar Posse, Sigur Rós and Mono, into electropop with The Knife, Fever Ray and Regina, into dream-poppish Husky Rescue etc.

2010 into the future: The singer-songwriter year, with a good dose of post-rock and ambient. Regina Spektor, Kate Bush, Fiona Apple. At this point the material simply grows too numerous to keep track of, as I devoured new genres in literally weeks. Jazz, dream pop, shoegaze, folk, chamber pop, ambient, drone, whatever you see me listening to nowadays. Enslaved's Axioma Ethica Odini also marked my return to Metal Storm and metal in general, and I rediscovered my love for it. It was mostly doom at first, but then it was deeper into atmospheric sludge and black metal, and now basically all subgenres again. I don't consider myself a metalhead anymore, but it's returned as one of my favorite genres once more.

To summarize:
1997-2002: 90s pop, eurodance
2002-2005: From power metal and melancholy acts like The 69 Eyes and Sentenced into folk metal, some black metal, and various forms of melodic metal. Metal fanaticism, with only video game music offering a change of pace.
2006: Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Katatonia, etc. and finally the Gathering
2007: Slowly away from metal to alt-rock/pop, although Strapping Young Lad hit me like a truck.
2008-2010: Barely any metal at all. Mostly contemporary alternative music.
2010 onwards: An expontential expansion into pretty much every genre I could name, a year-by-year exploration from 1959 to 2010, a simultaneous appreciation for cult classics and really obscure, batshit crazy stuff, and finally back into metal as well.

So nope, I've never had either the nu metal or the classics/thrash entry into metal. Sure I digged Linkin Park briefly when In the End was playing on TV like any other kid, but they never seriously set me off on any path. Only later, after black metal and all, have I learned to appreciate SOAD and Korn as the good bands they are. To this day, I have no interest in Metallica, Megadeth and co.
30.05.2012 - 14:29
Zealot644
Written by Unhealer on 30.05.2012 at 06:57

Written by Zealot644 on 30.05.2012 at 06:51

I started with Backstreet Boys

Respect!

Haha!

Damn my lack of tastes as an eight year old!
30.05.2012 - 15:50
Oaken
Hipster
I never listened to any music until 13, when some of my classmates were getting into Metallica and Slayer. I thought: Wow, music that isn't about sex, love and stupid issues. I quickly started listening, and fell in love with Iron Maiden. I never looked back after that. For nearly six months I listened to Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and some metalcore, then I listened to some extremities like Opeth and Nile but they sadly didn't click at that time. When I thought I was never going to get into extreme metal, I listened to Necrophagist and they gave me eargasms. Those fucking solos... I couldn't imagine how good they were. I continued listening to metal for nearly a month after that, then I got into classic rock for nearly 6 months too, and I discovered Pink Floyd, Van Halen and Led Zeppelin. However, I got bored and my love for metal got me back to it last March, when I got into Agalloch and some Amon Amarth. Following that, I got into death metal (Mostly old-school) through Suffocation and spent some time listening to it. Then Immortal got me into black metal and I discovered the "atmospheric black metal" genre which interested me a lot. I've been listening to Atmospheric black metal since last October (2011), and now, I'm trying to get into doom. I'm taking it slowly though.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
30.05.2012 - 22:11
Zombie94
I've had quite an odd musical journey, but it's always been centered around rock. The first thing I ever loved was 70s rock. My dad grew up then so he had a load of CDs of bands from that era that he would always play in the car. The ones I loved the most were Queen, Marc Boland & T-Rex, The Eagles, The Beatles, Supertramp and 10cc. He had a Deep Purple CD as well but I never listened to that.

Then my uncle came back from Australia when I was about 13 and he started giving me a lot of Indie/Alternative Rock to listen to. I was listening to bands like Kings Of Leon (they were my favourite but back then I was listening to their old stuff, before the mainstream got a hold of them and turned them into another boring arena rock band), Bloc Party, Queens Of The Stone Age (still love them), Wolfmother, The Strokes, The Killers, The Hives etc. I was pretty much hooked on that sort of stuff up until I was 16.

Then my cousins from America moved to here in Ireland. My cousin kept complaining about how nobody knew the bands she liked. I looked them up for her and found out that they were all part of a genre called pop-punk (which would later explode and become known as the music of choice for 'scenesters') and I put a load of bands that i thought she'd be interested in, based on what she liked, onto her iPod. Naturally I ended up listening to these bands as I researched them for her and ended up liking a few. I rediscovered Blink 182 and became a big fan of them, Green Day, Lost Prophets, Zebrahead, Fall Out Boy..and All Time Low (cringe). Towards the end of that year a friend of mine lent me System Of A Down and Trivium's discography and a Seether CD. I loved System Of A Down but I didn't like Trivium or Seether. That didn't really introduce me to metal though, as I wasn't all that sure SOAD were metal at the time.

For a while I lost interest in music and wasn't really listening to anything for about a year long. I got bored of all the pop punk bands and the old indie rock stuff I'd listened to 1000 times already and wanted something new. Then metal came under my radar in 2 ways. The first was when I had shown one of my friends on Facebook what I thought was a messed up music vid, and then one of my other friends (a metalhead) commented being like, "No THIS is messed up". It was Gorgoroth's video for 'Carving A Giant'. At first I thought to myself...wtf. But I was also intrigued by the music (I'd never known about black metal before) and how people would get into music like this. After that I decided to give extreme metal a try and downloaded an album from the only 'extreme' metal band I knew of: Slipknot. It was 'All Hope Is Gone' and that really started me down the road to checking out other stuff like Metallica and Slayer. The 2nd thing that happened was at a party when a friend of mine said he was learning 'Poison Was The Cure' on guitar and said it was super difficult. I looked up Megadeth, got 'Rust In Peace' and ever since then I've been immersed in metal.
12.06.2012 - 17:53
Dugi
Age 0-14: Everything, mostly hip-hop
Age 14-15: Started heavily with Death metal. I was fascinated with their album covers and said to myself I have to listen to that. Then I went softer because I couldn't really deal with death metal. Thrash metal it was.
Age 15-16: Friends convinced me that if I keep listening to metal I'll become a satanist, so stopped and started listening to that mainstream music again, for short though.
Age 16-today: Thrash metal, Death metal, Nu metal, Metalcore, Groove metal, Extreme metal, alternative rock, indie rock, hard rock.
14.06.2012 - 07:15
GrayWiZZarD
Account deleted
Age 5-12 : Bollywood Music
Age 12-16 : POP music ( BSB, Akon and other sh*t)
Age 16-18 : Beginning of METAL ( Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, System of a down)
Age 19 and continuing : Metal PUBERTY ( Megadeth, Slayer, In flames, Lamb of God, Fear Factory, Scar Symmetry )
15.06.2012 - 00:39
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Dugi on 12.06.2012 at 17:53

Age 15-16: Friends convinced me that if I keep listening to metal I'll become a satanist, so stopped and started listening to that mainstream music again, for short though.

So I'm not the only one?
Luckily I came back to metal though.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
15.06.2012 - 02:42
Darkfiber
Thrash/Heavy Metal
Brief...and I emphasize BRIEF stint with nu-metal as a teenager. I'm talking a couple months/albums, because that's what friends were listening to.
Moved on to death metal immediately after, cleansed the palate.
Got REALLY into black metal after that.
Another BRIEF stint with power metal, before I realized how much cooler prog was. Big into prog for a long time.
Recently been getting back into black metal again, though still listening to the older stuff I listened to heavily in my teens.
Got really into sludge/doom metal about 5 years ago, still big into that. Sludge and black metal comprising most of what I listen to now, with a bunch of prog and technical death as well. Still listen to random bands of other subgenres, but that makes up the bulk of it.
19.06.2012 - 13:03
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by IronAngel on 30.05.2012 at 13:05

Nightwish, Stratovarious and Sonata Arctica.Timo Rautiainen ja Trio Niskalaukaus, Children of Bodom, Kamelot, then Sentenced, Charon, Ensiferum Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Wintersun,

This sounds an awful lot like my Finnish metal phase, give and take a couple of bands.

I guess my musical evolution is quite uneventful. Started out with hard/classic rock/AOR somewhere in 2005, moved on to Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden by the end of the year, discovered Sonata Arctica in 2006 and then listened to various Finnish bands (side projects of side projects of side projects of my fave musicians included) for three years, almost exclusively. The favorites listed on my profile still.

In 2009 the boyfriend got me started on some melodeath/extreme power - Dark Tranquillity and Wintersun stuck best - and afterwards I discovered I really like Dream Theater and that I'd like to get into this strange "progressive" music more. From 2010 onwards, pretty much 70% of all I listened to was progressive metal. After registering on MS, I discovered I liked gothic metal and that I'm prone to liking extreme metal if it has some melody and prog to it as well, but that part is still, hmm, blurry to me. Needs to be explored.

Never had any interest in thrash metal nor nu metal.

I don't listen to a lot of non-metal, save of prog rock and goth rock on occasion, I'd like to branch out more into those.
----
7.0 means the album is good
19.06.2012 - 14:56
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Hmmm I can't remember exact years, but like everyone else I started with pop rock and radio hits.

So
Pop Phase-Stuff like D.I.S.C.O

Pop Rock/Punk Phase-Then I moved onto RHCP, green day, offspring, blink 182 and a few of the pop punk bands

Classic Rock Phase- I was influenced by my brothers collection and I started listening to led zep, purple, floyd etc

Classic Metal Phase - Trading tapes with friends in high school got me into Maiden, Priest, Metallica and G'N'R

Metal Phase I (Prog-Power) - Again this would have to be coz of my bro, he had exchanged some music with a friend of his and there happened to be Blind Guardian in there, this went onto a complete power metal phase which slowly moved into a prog phase.

Metal Phase II (Thrash/Death/Tech Death) After my prog power phase I slowly moved towards heavier side of things, mostly a lot of thrash and death, stuff like Sepultura, Death, Megadeth, Nevermore and similar bands. I still listened to a lot of prog metal and this also drew me to the tech death scene. Bands like Death, Athiest, Cynic and Martyr, which slowly went a lot further into underground tech death scene.

Metal Phase II.I (NWOBHM) - I had a small NWOBHM phase, which stemmed from the prog power phase I guess, bands like diamond head, bitches sin, grim reaper and a few others.

Metal Phase III (Sludge/Stoner/Post Metal) - I have no clue how this shift happened, but I know it was mostly coz of Mastodon and then getting music similar to mastodon and finding The Ocean and then searching a lot for similar bands, this is probably one of my longest phases and still on going

Noise/Math Rock - While in the sludge phase I also was listening to a lot of noise rock, jesus lizard, made out of babies, shellac, boris and the likes along with a lot of math/post rock, bands like muddy world, about tess, tera milos, maybeshewill, don cab etc.

Electronica/Dubstep/Breakbeat/Trip Hop - This is still going on as well, I had only heard stuff like The Chemical brothers, The Prodigy and the more famous ones, but of late, last two years probably, I have started listening to a lot more electronica and trip hop bands, Zero 7, Frou Frou, Air, LCD soundsystems, Does it offend you, yeah? and a few more, which also got me into dubstep, Jazzsteppa, Phutureprimitive, Benga etc

I would say that the last three phases are ones that I'm still in. I listen to a lot of sludge and stoner, with bits of hardcore, a lot of trip hop and electronica, some folk singer songwriters stuff. I have no clue where it is going to go from here
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
20.06.2012 - 01:37
Thrashette
Hmmm... remembering everything is tough. I'll probably end up leaving something out lol
Before 10 years old: Indifferent, pretty much whatever happened to be playing
10-12 years old: Still whatever happened to be playing but preference for western art music
13-14 years old: Very short phase with goth, punk, and alternative rock (like a few months), then got really into symphonic metal, followed by power metal, a bit of thrash metal, and classic heavy metal while still listening to the types of rock I mentioned every so often
15-17 years old: started getting really heavily into thrash metal and death metal, also got sort of into industrial music and had a very short phase of trying to get into ska around 17 years old.
18-19 years old: Not sure if extremely open-minded or indifferent phase... Basically all of the above whenever it happened to be playing or the mood striked me.
Present: Can hardly stand most power, gothic, or symphonic metal anymore, back to being into death and thrash metal but developed a liking for folk and some black metal as well... And also still sort of into industrial music thanks to raving, and the occasional bit of goth rock just because I like the atmosphere of it.
20.06.2012 - 06:48
oblong
Account deleted
I will try to keep this as short as possible...

Early years : 6 -12

Heavily influenced by my older brother (mostly punk), while also listening to music that my father would put on (Doors, Deep Purple, Stones, Hendrix, Zeppelin etc.) during this time was also the period that Guns and Roses + Metallica were ruling the world (or would feature on weekend TV music shows etc), so I also listened to them.

Around age 11, my brother stepped towards a heavier sound and in doing so introduced me to bands such as Sepultura, Machine Head, Fear Factory, Slayer etc. - while I wasn't quite into the genre yet (it took me a couple of years to get used to the vocals etc) I had an instant bond with a more aggressive sound, especially the drumming and this new atmosphere that presented itself in Fear Factory's De-manufacture or Davidian by Machine Head - as a 12 year old this sounded amazing.

This was also joined with bands from other genres such as Tool, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam etc.

This also assured that I was going to be an outcast from now on....

Enter High School : 12 - 18

Still listened to bands mentioned in the Early Years, but also crept into the Nu-Metal phase etc. (seems that everyone did this ) I could list some, but I don't think anyone really cares for the bands on this site.

This was also the period when bands (Fear Factory, Machine Head etc) were starting to release much weaker albums, and so I started to creep into Blues and Grass music.

So up until the end of High School it was a combination of Early Years and Enter High School.

A New Dawn: 18 - 26 + beyond (my age now)

The first couple of years were pretty much the same, some bands from the past were starting to bounce back and release decent albums, but it was all pretty much the same thing as before - something needed to change, I wasn't enjoying listening to the same CD's for the 100th time, something had to give.

When....(finally)
While watching a surfing video, there was a short (ad) for another surfing film and it featured Nightwish's Wishmaster; while the people I was with mocked the music and started to diss Metal (I was a lone Metal listener for most of my life) I thought this was great!

The internet had grown to a reliable source and after finding out more about Nightwish etc. it pretty much opened the doors to new genres: Gothic, power, prog, death, black, stoner, doom in all its glory

All of this however couldn't have happened without Metal Storm, while I'm a new member of the forum - I've had other aliases, all of which I've forgotten (from not being very active).

Many years ago this site saved me from oblivion...