Metal Storm logo
I hate social media.

25.09.2009 - 16:43
Conservationist
Quote:

The more I use social media sites ? Slashdot, Reddit, Facebook, MySpace, Digg and even newspapers with comments ? is that they do not encourage engagement.

In other words, they let us side-step the question of "is this a good idea?" on any item, and instead comment simply on what we think of it. We're not predicting cause and effect; we're judging parts of reality as to whether they fit our personal preference.

The problem with social media

While the above article brings up a good point, it misses the bigger point: social media is about wish fulfillment, and what people want to think about themselves, not things as they are.

If you want to think of yourself as enlightened and kind, vote down any aspects of reality that mean bad news for anyone, anywhere -- even if by doing so, you're endorsing a lie.

Then again, I wouldn't expect truthfulness from the intertard.
25.09.2009 - 16:51
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
There is nothing wrong about Facebook for me...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

25.09.2009 - 17:26
Njord
njord
Social media are great for depressions because there's always someone more pissed off and suicidal than you. The comments in newspapers is what depresses me more, because the opinions are 99% of the times amazingly dumb.

About social networks, I like Facebook because the design is great and the comments method is nice to follow. You only follow friends if you want and that's better then open comments.
In the other side I quited Hi5 because it's confusing and not private at all (tags are a great way to surpass accounts) and I quited Twitter because it's nothing more than a losers network.
25.09.2009 - 17:57
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Njord on 25.09.2009 at 17:26

About social networks, I like Facebook because....
In the other side I quited Hi5 because it's confusing and not private at all...

Facebook also has its vulnerabilities, in deleting photos for example. They remaine there even after being deleted and are accessable through direct links for weeks or even months untill replaced by new pics on the server(s), that's not a deliberate trick but a result of implementation method used to increase the speed...Don't know if they've fixed that recently.
To be on-topic, i've avoided all those social networks so far...
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
26.09.2009 - 13:53
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I currently use Facebook for playing poker...and i like it
----

26.09.2009 - 16:30
Ernis
狼獾
I really don't like these "deliberate population lists"... But sometimes it's so annoying when you need to contact a person and then the only possibility to do that is to register at Facebook or sth other just because the person doesn't read e-mails, doesn't use MSN messenger or anything more convenient....so the only way to reach them is through these pages....
28.09.2009 - 00:30
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
So you hate social media. Good for you. Now I'm expecting that you want some sort of treat for expressing your opinion?
28.09.2009 - 07:10
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.09.2009 at 00:30

So you hate social media. Good for you. Now I'm expecting that you want some sort of treat for expressing your opinion?

You must have said that because you are defending social media...the whole point of this website is to express your opinion...
28.09.2009 - 07:22
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.09.2009 at 07:10

You must have said that because you are defending social media...the whole point of this website is to express your opinion...

No, I was being sarcastic.
28.09.2009 - 08:40
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Guest on 28.09.2009 at 07:22

and failed
----

28.09.2009 - 12:06
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!

Yeah, I was kind of going to point out the obvious to the thread starter, and every one else... that MS is a form of social media. In reality though, people can bullshit just as much in person as online, so it really makes no differance where it happens.
28.09.2009 - 22:02
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Ellrohir on 28.09.2009 at 08:40

and failed

Eh, whatever.
28.09.2009 - 22:31
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Guest on 28.09.2009 at 22:02

and failed

Eh, whatever.

next time it will be better, eh?
----

28.09.2009 - 22:52
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Ellrohir on 28.09.2009 at 22:31

Written by Guest on 28.09.2009 at 22:02

and failed

Eh, whatever.

next time it will be better, eh?

Perhaps.
28.09.2009 - 23:35
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Insineratehymn: I usually respect and back your opinions though 100% no matter what you type anyway because you're an intelligent person...you should know that...

MY take on social media is that sites like facebook are getting out of control because people keep making more of the same type of that social media...there is absolutely nothing wrong with posting sites like this because it doesn't make you "as self-important" as the twitter or facebook capacity...we're not telling other users on Metalstorm what we're doing every five minutes and we're not updating our statistics, etc...
30.09.2009 - 00:18
FOOCK Nam
To say the truth, I like social-media but not for Crazy relationship, besides the Goddamn-hard-using-Facebook to access my Favorite GIRL profile. I like it more because of the way of how to use it, layouts/design/etc, some attracts me like Myspace or VampireFreaks. And I also part of ME hate the social media because like Kap say, after 5 minutes to tell other "friend" what you did, and totally all that kind of demonstative-ness can be very non-sense, and no contribute to make Serious-relationship to a person who has more than 1000 friends in his or her list.
30.09.2009 - 01:02
FOOCK Nam
Written by Bitter Dawn on 28.09.2009 at 12:06

Yeah, I was kind of going to point out the obvious to the thread starter, and every one else... that MS is a form of social media. In reality though, people can bullshit just as much in person as online, so it really makes no differance where it happens.

What you say can be True, as Metalstormers, when they disscuss/talking/debating/opening their topic with their idea, they can be bullshit or opposedly, cause they speak out what is in their MIND.

But a contrary I realize with a time of internet-using experiences a thing making me to hate the social media, macroly the media as movies, newspaper, magazines. I surf every websites and found some cute/sexy girls, even some metalstorm female members, they put their sexy pics on their profile, same things from Myspace every Whore or all other social network website Whore, and even all pictures for the even Metal bands/members or specially in mainstream music industry, not excluding the ood pictures or the movie star/actress/models on magazines, even more the scene/action/shape of the every movies produced, that all of them are put or design to upload on or print in, etc, that is all for Their SAKE of seeking attention, and that is why Social media is FAKE or Cheater. And when you meet them, Myspace Whore/band music star/actress/actor/models etc, they totally are different in the appearance and specially their behavior and action. Another irony thing I see is when first time EVER see my Favorite GIRL Her pic on social network site after seeing HER in reality, Honestly HER in Reality is better. And even when I Observe mySelf, I realize when I update my picture profile, I choose the best pic both can be from Me or kind of pic to impress other.

Summing up: social media is like Unreal, almostly.
11.10.2009 - 05:26
Archetype
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 25.09.2009 at 17:57

Written by Njord on 25.09.2009 at 17:26

About social networks, I like Facebook because....
In the other side I quited Hi5 because it's confusing and not private at all...

Facebook also has its vulnerabilities, in deleting photos for example. They remaine there even after being deleted and are accessable through direct links for weeks or even months untill replaced by new pics on the server(s), that's not a deliberate trick but a result of implementation method used to increase the speed...Don't know if they've fixed that recently.

As far as I know, that's just due to the nature of caching online content. In the same way that you can access an older version of a website that is no longer online - through Google's cache.

On topic - I never really considered myself a fan of social networking due to my past experiences, it was just a bunch of insecure people craving attention and looking to get their ego stroked.

Having said that, a few days ago I joined Facebook and found it to be quite useful as it allows me to keep up with people that I don't see often or haven't seen in a long time. I guess I'm just glad the kids decided to stick with myspace.
11.10.2009 - 16:48
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Archetype on 11.10.2009 at 05:26

Written by AiwiAstwihad on 25.09.2009 at 17:57

As far as I know, that's just due to the nature of caching online content. In the same way that you can access an older version of a website that is no longer online - through Google's cache....

Yeah, Kind of...
Those social networking sites host photos on their separate special-purpose photo servers, usually on an external CDN (content delivery network).
And that problem is the result of back-up copies which are not immediately removed from all servers. While personal data should be stored and cached in a way so that all copies are removed as you delete 'em.

Here's the link to the Cambridge University's research i'm talking about:
http://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2009/05/20/attack-of-the-zombie-photos/
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
11.10.2009 - 22:00
Genghis Kal
Account deleted
Written by Archetype on 11.10.2009 at 05:26

just a bunch of insecure people craving attention and looking to get their ego stroked.

You hit the nail on the head there. People who use these things obsessively are insecure and attention seeking. Maybe I'm just jealous because I don't have much of a life, but it's ironic that I have better things to with my time than inform all of my friends that I've just eaten some ice cream, or that the dog woke up, via a status update.

Facebook pisses me off. People are constantly posting on everything every five fucking seconds: posting what they had for tea, saying that they're going in the shower or just posting little comments on other peoples stupid little comments. What makes it even more depressing is that it's all in this disgraceful, abominable version of English. "teh"?... Fuck off. Why can't people spell things properly and use proper punctuation? Oh aye... because that would be really uncool and they wouldn't look hip and down with youth culture (or something like that). People just make themselves look like complete morons... probably because they are.
12.10.2009 - 03:47
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Facebook causes a lot of problems between people...Facebook is nothing but drama...I have seen friendships ruined over Facebook that never would have been ruined in reality because it is so easy to hide behind a computer and say whatever you want to and forget the consequences that appear afterward...also, if you use Facebook, you cannot lie about what you do anymore and you can't make up excuses and for example, ditch certain things to do other things...you really have to watch your ass and watch who you add because it will for sure bite you on the ass because everyone has a camera...social media is a direct invasion to your privacy...
12.10.2009 - 04:11
Archetype
Written by Guest on 12.10.2009 at 03:47

Facebook causes a lot of problems between people...Facebook is nothing but drama...I have seen friendships ruined over Facebook that never would have been ruined in reality because it is so easy to hide behind a computer and say whatever you want to and forget the consequences that appear afterward...also, if you use Facebook, you cannot lie about what you do anymore and you can't make up excuses and for example, ditch certain things to do other things...you really have to watch your ass and watch who you add because it will for sure bite you on the ass because everyone has a camera...social media is a direct invasion to your privacy...

This is actually a very interesting point and since I only recently go back into the world of "social networking" I came to realise this as well. It especially seems to be the case when you have a tonne of "friends" on any of those sites. You've really got to be careful and watch what you say as saying the wrong thing (or even denying somebody's friend request ) can lead to some pretty awkward situations.