Release date: September 2009

01. All Shall Fall
02. The Rise Of Darkness
03. Hordes To War
04. Norden On Fire
05. Arctic Swarm
06. Mount North
07. Unearthly Kingdom

Immortal have risen from the white ashes to reclaim their throne as kings of black metal. Not many bands have been as important to a genre of music than Immortal have been to black metal over the years. Now the band are back with their first album in seven years, All Shall Fall.

The album carries on exactly where Sons Of Northern Darkness finished. Stylistically All Shall Fall is extremely similar, the guitars are very melodic and as a whole the album stays at the same familiar pressing pace without going overboard. The frostbitten trio show no signs of cobwebs, but there is also no apparent attempt to create something truly spectacular. All Shall Fall, although a brilliant come-back album, is a bit too steady and safe to be hailed as one of the band's greatest works.

Seven years is an extremely long time and it is perhaps unrealistic to have expected anything to the standard of At The Heart Of Winter or any of the band's other classics. All Shall Fall almost seems like the band are just firing up the engine, and it is the future we have to wait for to experience Immortal at their most devastating. With this said, All Shall Fall is still a remarkably enjoyable album to listen to and is very much an album suited for the times.

The opening title track sounds like the soundtrack to a bleak and icy armageddon and "The Rise Of Darkness" follows bringing forth the rhythmic march of the northern tyrants. Melodic plodder "Norden On Fire" brings down the pace, but "Arctic Swarm" soon whips up another blizzard being the most forceful and unrelenting storm on the album.

Immortal have all eyes on them, and to avoid the risk of disappointment have released an extremely solid and safe album that may just underwhelm a few people. For the rest of us though, All Shall Fall is genuinely a glacier of frostbitten delights. Without a bad song on the album and a tidy running time, the album showcases the finest cuts of Immortal in this day and age, and it honestly hasn't felt so empowering to bang the head along to some serious top quality black metal in a long time.

-

Black metal
Nuclear Blast
Norway
Length: 40:12

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 27.09.2009 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 105   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 776 users
27.09.2009 - 22:17
Rating: 7
wormdrink414
Elite
I'm getting a little too excited for this album.
27.09.2009 - 23:32
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 27.09.2009 at 01:15

Quote:
but there is also no apparent attempt to create something truly spectacular.

I'm slightly confused...does this not sort of conflict with your scoring in a way?

THAT is probably what makes the album so good, idiot.
27.09.2009 - 23:57
Rating: 9
Silent Creeper
Senile Veteran
I agree 100% with the review, very well written.
28.09.2009 - 00:01
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 27.09.2009 at 23:32

Quote:

I'm slightly confused...does this not sort of conflict with your scoring in a way?

You just made everything so clear with that statement...it all makes sense now! Thank you, sir!

Why such hostility?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
28.09.2009 - 01:13
Lord_Regnier
Written by Doc G. on 28.09.2009 at 00:01

Written by Guest on 27.09.2009 at 23:32

Quote:

You just made everything so clear with that statement...it all makes sense now! Thank you, sir!

I think I understand the logic behind Vikingocalypse's sentence: better being a bit conservative but making a decent album than trying to reinvent the wheel and failing completely.
However, the rudeness was unnecessary.

I think sometimes people praise too much 'innovation' and attempts to change, even when it leads to sucky albums. I'm one of those people who prefer by far a good old recipe that is enjoyable to innovation only for the sake of innovation. Many bands start to suck when they start to change. In lots of cases, it would have been better for them to stick to what they were good at.

I'm aware lots of people will probably disagree, but better repeat yourself than turn to shit. At least it's still listenable.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
28.09.2009 - 07:28
Hellkommando
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.09.2009 at 21:37

You don't even need to explain anything to him Desolate Gale...

If you don't like the album you don't like the album and that's it.
You don't have to make it to a friggin argument wondering why the others like it, it's just pointless. :

I know, I am not trying to create an argument. I was simply saying that obviously some people really enjoy the album, and that it boils down to personal taste and that calling them lame simply because you don't like them is a tad rich.

And yes Lord_Regnier is saying something similar to what I was alluding too.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
28.09.2009 - 09:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Hellkommando on 28.09.2009 at 07:28

You don't have to make it to a friggin argument wondering why the others like it, it's just pointless. :

I know, I am not trying to create an argument. I was simply saying that obviously some people really enjoy the album, and that it boils down to personal taste and that calling them lame simply because you don't like them is a tad rich.

I completely agree with you and Lord_Regnier. The thing about "making an argument about why liking an album is pointless"... I was talking about Valaskjalf. I know you weren't making an argument. :p
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.09.2009 - 10:08
A solid album.:necro:
28.09.2009 - 10:45
Hellkommando
Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.09.2009 at 09:55

Written by Hellkommando on 28.09.2009 at 07:28

Good, I still love you Doc.

I completely agree with you and Lord_Regnier. The thing about "making an argument about why liking an album is pointless"... I was talking about Valaskjalf. I know you weren't making an argument. :p
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
28.09.2009 - 14:08
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Sons Of Northern Darkness is probably my favourite black metal album. I'll definitely check this one out
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
28.09.2009 - 14:12
Motionless
Good Review. As for the album I was excpevting more. It 's ok I mean but no more than 7.5
28.09.2009 - 14:42
Rating: 8
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I'm listening to it, read what you thought about it, let's see what I think.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
28.09.2009 - 15:30
ioannisk
Is it only me or the cover looks like a world of warcraft expansion set?
28.09.2009 - 21:59
spirit_inblack
harshhead
You're not the only one man. Aside from that similarity, I don't really like the artwork and haven't heard the album yet, but will post back in a bit when i have.
29.09.2009 - 00:40
Lord_Regnier
To add to what I said earlier:

I often see people defending sucky albums by saying "at least they tried to change". It's a worthless argument. It doesn't make a bad album less bad when you hear it.

Also, people need to realize that pretty much everything has already been done before in our day an age. We're not in the 80s, when everything had yet to be done in metal, so it was relatively easy to come with something new and original. Asking from bands to change and still come with something enjoyable and innovative with each new album is unrealistic. It's asking too much.
----
29.09.2009 - 15:54
Rating: 10
Lord you mean they should change their style to something like metalcore or ...core styles or something to be new and shows their modernity and creativeness?!
29.09.2009 - 18:22
Rating: 8
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I like the new album.
----
Brujerizmo!
30.09.2009 - 01:27
Reaper02
Hail the black sun over the Nordic mountains,Immortal new album is here and its a powerful,epic and ferocious record.a masterpiece for the frozen ages to come.:banger2:
30.09.2009 - 02:57
DoomGuard
You guys always want "new" "innovative" and "experimental"

frankly that's pretty annoying

nice album
30.09.2009 - 03:01
Rating: 7
wormdrink414
Elite
Written by ioannisk on 28.09.2009 at 15:30

Is it only me or the cover looks like a world of warcraft expansion set?

You are not alone. Thankfully WoW is pretty metal, so that connection isn't necessarily to the detriment of the cover.

As I posted above, I am too excited for this album. Sons of Northern Darkness is my favorite black metal album (At the Heart of Winter is a close second) so, if All Shall Fall is indeed very similar to it, I might just die.
30.09.2009 - 03:13
Reaper02
Hail the black sun over the Nordic mountains,Immortal new album is here and its a powerful,epic and ferocious record.a masterpiece for the frozen ages to come.
30.09.2009 - 16:13
SyBReeD
YOU SHALL FALL ..
If ya think ur making a new album .. plz put music in lol
dont forget guys .. We need to lsn to some music
02.10.2009 - 21:22
Motionless
It is not bad but I was excpecting more...
02.10.2009 - 22:34
Smurfophagist
The album wasn't disappointing at all. probably because I didn't expect too much, but still...
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
03.10.2009 - 06:38
Lord_Regnier
Written by season of reason on 29.09.2009 at 15:54

Lord you mean they should change their style to something like metalcore or ...core styles or something to be new and shows their modernity and creativeness?!

Absolutely not! I hate everything that ends with -core.
----
03.10.2009 - 06:43
Lord_Regnier
Written by DoomGuard on 30.09.2009 at 02:57

You guys always want "new" "innovative" and "experimental"

frankly that's pretty annoying

I find this attitude annoying too. People who always want something completely new should realize they ask too much.
If they believe creating something new is so easy, why don't they start their own band?'Then we'll see if it's so easy.
Personally, as long as it's a kind of music I enjoy, I don't care if it has been done already or not.
Not to mention this attitude leads to many directionless albums that utterly and hopelessly suck, as soon as this search for novelty is pushed too far.
----
04.10.2009 - 22:28
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Lord_Regnier on 29.09.2009 at 00:40

To add to what I said earlier:

I often see people defending sucky albums by saying "at least they tried to change". It's a worthless argument. It doesn't make a bad album less bad when you hear it.

Also, people need to realize that pretty much everything has already been done before in our day an age. We're not in the 80s, when everything had yet to be done in metal, so it was relatively easy to come with something new and original. Asking from bands to change and still come with something enjoyable and innovative with each new album is unrealistic. It's asking too much.

Fine I get your point, but then I guess your point is that metal is dead...right? If everything has been done before then we the poor fans have to settle for regurgitated shit all over again year after year. And another thing...if its such a bad idea to change do these bands really DESERVE the high ratings we give them? I dont want to harp on about ratings at all....but does making uninteresting, same-paced, same-themed albums with the same boring riffs REALLY justify praise? Is that what metal has come down to for you? Just run of the mill shit that everyone has heard before? Same as Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquility, Dark Throne, Satyricon and the list goes on and on...

If trying to push the envelope and do something different was never an ambition of any bands we still would have been stuck with tribal music....it was because of reinventing what was done before that we are where we are today. If metal was all about bringing out the same unimaginative and boring material, unchallenging and only based on selling albums for the sake of nostalgia with not even a glimmer of doing something different then my friend we have turned metal into pop.

On a final note, I think you are misunderstanding the point Im trying to make about Immortal and the other bands. Im not suggesting I want them to lose their ESSENCE. Noone wants a band to become unrecognisable...it nevers works. Im saying that sometimes, Im speaking for myself, we want something unexpected. Why wait for 5 or how many years for an album that you ALREADY know what its going to sound like? Predictable until the very riff....the changes Im talking about are slight, a break here or there a change in pace, something that makes you go "cool....it still sounds like Immortal but that was a little unexpected and fresh...awesome."

Hope you can somehow see the point Im trying to make.
04.10.2009 - 23:23
warrior_of_ice
Excellent album, it actually sounds like they ditched the, "MUST BE RECORDED ON A FISCHER-PRICE MIC." Black Metal recording attitude and decided to hire a producer. really love this one!:necro:
05.10.2009 - 00:30
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by warrior_of_ice on 04.10.2009 at 23:23

Excellent album, it actually sounds like they ditched the, "MUST BE RECORDED ON A FISCHER-PRICE MIC." Black Metal recording attitude and decided to hire a producer. really love this one!:necro:

Is this really what people think of Immortal?

Come on! They've had a clear production on their albums since 1999's "At The Heart Of Winter". Even the ones before that weren't bad.
05.10.2009 - 08:00
Rating: 6
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Baz Anderson on 05.10.2009 at 00:30

Written by warrior_of_ice on 04.10.2009 at 23:23

Is this really what people think of Immortal?

Come on! They've had a clear production on their albums since 1999's "At The Heart Of Winter". Even the ones before that weren't bad.

lol before the album came out, I was hoping that they'd release two discs - one with normal production, and one with low-fi, frostbitten production just to make everyone stfu

Hits total: 21983 | This month: 17