Metal Storm logo
Incarnia - Proclamation review

Reviewer:
N/A

24 users:
Band: Incarnia
Album: Proclamation
Release date: August 2010

01. Dawn Of The Great Rebirth (Ashes Of Our Time Part II)
02. Festivals Of Atonement
03. Led By Tears
04. Carrion
05. Where Fallen Apostles Assemble
06. Yersinia Pestis
07. Affinity

Melodic Death Metal
Recorded: Canada 2009
Unsigned/Self-Financed
Total Running Time: 33:35

Last year, I reviewed the Incarnia demo At The River's End. A few weeks ago, I was given the opportunity to review the band's follow-up EP Proclamation. Back then, I gave the band an average rating, with the main remark there was room for some improvement. Nowadays I no longer rate reviews anymore, but I'm still someone who gives credit where credit is due. And I must say, this Canadian outfit did improve... and how.

Indeed, while the type of melodic death metal Incarnia play couldn't really tickle my pickle on At The River's End, all the more did the band manage to surprise me on Proclamation. What is clear from the beginning is that Incarnia really kicked it up a notch. The sound has noticeably matured and the band makes a stronger and more lasting impression than on their demo. Although there is still a major focus on melody and rhythm, the sound has become a bit darker and meaner - a not-so-bad decision if you ask me. With a good pace and tempo, most of the songs on Proclamation become instant catchers. In fact, on this release Incarnia have found the healthy portion of aggression they were somewhat missing on At The River's End. Also the keyboards are a bit less prominent - or at least they seem less annoying - giving more space to the (double bass) drumming and rhythmic guitars. Either way, the keyboard parts are more balanced and fitting - what makes listening to this EP a more enjoyable experience.

Proclamation turned out to be a very strong and intense release, both melody wise but definitely also production wise - certainly when compared to the production of the demo. This EP can be seen as the hallmark of a young, motivated band bursting with energy and self-confidence. Due to the fact this band experiments successfully with melody and rhythm variation, the overall sound doesn't have the same generic feel most modern melodic death metal tend to leave these days.

No need to beat around the bush, Incarnia delivered. And I think it's safe to say the band has finally defined its own sound and found the right way. Proclamation has all what it takes to launch Incarnia to a broader audience. Now it's up to that same audience to give Incarnia a shot.

Written by Thryce | 27.07.2009

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 58 users
28.09.2009 - 03:01
Wes

I can't wait for this, first track on myspace is godlike.
17.08.2010 - 20:58
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Pretty good album, a bit too Dark Tranquillity for my taste but not bad. Sounds like DT with triggered to the max drumming.
20.08.2010 - 01:48
╠╣
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.08.2010 at 20:58

Pretty good album, a bit too Dark Tranquillity for my taste but not bad. Sounds like DT with triggered to the max drumming.

Great album! Don't hear much Dark Tranquillity on it though
12.10.2010 - 17:06
Rating: 8
Ag Fox
Angel No More
This album is actually really good. especially when I get that sweet tooth for less traditional melodic death metal
----
loves 小巫

Hits total: 6475 | This month: 9