01. Fight Fire With Fire
02. Ride The Lightning
03. For Whom The Bell Tolls
04. Fade To Black
05. Trapped Under Ice
06. Escape
07. Creeping Death
08. The Call Of Ktulu

With this album Metallica confirm their total control on Thrash Metal and their consolidation like an international band. In this album the band members were fully adapted to each other and make a more mature and considerably better musical album. The lyrics of this album are also better than in the last one, they do not speak now about headbanging, blood, and those things, in "Ride The Lightning" they speak about personal problems like in 'Fade To Black' [inspired by the theft of band's equipment]. Other tracks are inspired by H.P. Lovecraft and the movie 'The Ten Commandments' like 'Creeping Death'.

The CD consists of only 8 tracks, but I can say without a doubt that 6 of them are cult songs for Metal history [all tracks except 'Escape' and 'Trapped Under Ice', which anyway are incredible songs]. Above all the best track of the album and one of the best songs ever is, 'For Whom The Bell Tolls'. What can I say about it, nowadays? Nothing, just listen to it, and let the bells toll for you.
The first ballad released by Metallica appeared in this album, the song is call 'Fade To Black', also Metallica continued their tradition started in their first album of playing an instrumental song, in this case 'The Call of Ktulu'.

On balance: the CD is just incredible and nearly perfect, Metallica shows with this album that it is here to stay, an album that all headbangers should have, on the other hand, this is a good album to start listening to Metallica.

Written by Iced Iñigo | 22.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
ponderer
Rating:
1984. Talk about a band and an album being so far ahead of their time that they would be hallmarks in the history of metal...

Ride the Lightning was nothing less than a nuclear bomb dropped in American metal laps. We'd heard Judas Priest and Sabbath, but nothing could have prepared anyone for what was coming full force out of San Francisco in '84. Since Kill 'em All had limited success in the underground, most people still hadn't heard of the Bay area thrashers who were busy forging a new metal scene stateside. With the launch of Ride the Lightning and heavy touring, Metallica were set to take stage as one of the more brutal premier metal acts.

Read more ››
published 06.07.2008 | Comments (37)

Guest review by
TheH2K
Rating:
Metallica's second effort, called Ride The Lightning, was released in 1984. The American band verged it in an international scale, projecting that the real brutality is not merely limited through fast tempos, and other musical procedures can be tested.

Ride The Lightning widely presents musical and lyrical progress, with more mature songs than Kill 'Em All. Metallica consciously developed more political and social lyrics; the songs are not about metal music itself, demonic contents or violence anymore. Solos are better-shaped and riffs are impeccable, and most importantly bass lines won't leave any space for critics.

Read more ››
published 06.06.2020 | Comments (2)

Comments

Comments: 48   Visited by: 261 users
22.07.2006 - 04:08
vhaldemar

INCREDIBLE ALBUM!:banger2:
23.07.2006 - 11:35
dark awakening

I perfectly agree with you! Great review!
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
28.07.2006 - 02:40
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
I corpsevomitnecrofistfucking agree with each and every friggin' word of the review. Mankind has never known, and will never know a better Thrash Metal album than [... falls to his knees, bows and takes a big breath] almighty RIDE THE LIGHTNING.

The best Metal instrumental, The Call of Ktulu, is there.
The best Metallica ballad, Fade to Black, is there.
The best, most headbangable, most complex Metallica epic, Ride the Lightning, is there.
The best song EVER, For Whom the Bell Tolls, is there.

If you have not yet listened to the eighth Wonder of the World, aka RIDE THE LIGHTNING, what are you waiting for? Go for it before I shoot you.
28.07.2006 - 02:43
Rating: 9
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This is a great album, but I don't think it's the best thrash album ever.
28.07.2006 - 06:04
Pianoman
Account deleted
The best thrash metal ever!
30.07.2006 - 00:10
Fane

All right! One of best albums what have come from Metallica! This album rocks! (have fighted with sister from this album sometimes ) And review was incrediable!
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
02.08.2006 - 04:15
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
This is a great album, one of the best from Metalica. Im in love with 'Fade To Black' and all the other songs are just killer thrash. Id give it a big 9
----

Hellcunt Smurf
12.08.2006 - 16:54
Bulus

Written by Taktsekte on 28.07.2006 at 02:40

I corpsevomitnecrofistfucking agree with each and every friggin' word of the review. Mankind has never known, and will never know a better Thrash Metal album than [... falls to his knees, bows and takes a big breath] almighty RIDE THE LIGHTNING.

The best, most headbangable, most complex Metallica epic, Ride the Lightning, is there.

If you have not yet listened to the eighth Wonder of the World, aka RIDE THE LIGHTNING, what are you waiting for? Go for it before I shoot you.

totally agree with you,
12.08.2006 - 19:59
Rating: 10
BloodTears
ANA-thema
My favourite Metallica album since the first day I listen to it. I think you've said it all.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
13.08.2006 - 22:54
LiveWise
Account deleted
SO GOOOD !
I love it .
Specially i like fade to black and for whom the bell tolls.
One of the best albums ever
18.08.2006 - 20:33
Thrash666

The best album of 1984 and one of the best thrash albums ever!!!!!!!!
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
21.08.2006 - 23:50
viimaneraud
Account deleted
It is the best Metallica album ever.
Even best album ever!!
27.08.2006 - 17:55
DLMokoma
Account deleted
this is one of the few albums (that can be count with one arm fingers) that I can listen 24/7. this is just... amazing
29.08.2006 - 18:24
matthioso

The best album of Metallica and therefore the best album of all times
METALLICA KICKS ASS!!!!!
----
www.seedofrock.be
17.09.2006 - 05:02
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
One of the big 4 (kill em all, lightning album, MOP, and the Justice album), one of the best!

great album filled with scorching riffs, and mad solos.

great album!! 10 out of 10
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
17.09.2006 - 13:29
KUFFAR
Account deleted
There worst album out of there first 4 first albums...
there weakest.

For me its like this:
Master
Justice
Kill
Ride

In that order.

Tho I love the lyrics (and book) of 'For whom the bell tulls'
26.10.2006 - 20:54
Rating: 5
Talvi

Trash metal indeed xD
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
14.01.2007 - 01:15
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
BEST ALBUM EVER! I love every single song on there so much! especily Fade to Black;D.
17.02.2007 - 17:26
Nhorf
Account deleted
The strongest Metallica album, 1. Ride-2.Kill-3.Master-4.Justice.
Shit, this is great... I also think Fight Fire With Fire is soooo underrated =( anyway all the songs are great: 1. For Whom - 2. Fade(a great ballad) - 3. Fight - 4. Ride - 5. Creeping - 6. Call. Trapped and Escape are, for me, quite similar songs, I do not like them so so much... but they still good
19.02.2007 - 22:47
Bitch Boy

I totally agree with your review. The entire album is a masterpiece, even "Trapped Under Ice" and "Escape", we can't consider them to be fillers, and very few albums have no fillers. It may be not Metallica's best but is a really asskicking piece of work.
03.03.2007 - 17:23
Tod_Engel

How come Master of Puppets is considered better than this? I think this album is their best. So many good songs like: For Whom the Bell Tolls, Fight Fire With Fire, Creeping Death, The Call of Ktulu, Fade To Black and their absolutely best song Ride The lightning. It deserves a 10.
04.03.2007 - 16:20
marillionfan
Account deleted
One of the best metal albums ever released. No filler songs on this album, everything works great. And BTW, Escape is one of my favourite Metallica songs. It's not as famous as the other songs on RTL, but anyway a very good song.
27.03.2007 - 12:28
AlexCromlech
Account deleted
By far their best album!
05.04.2007 - 13:01
Mental_Orgasm
Account deleted
In my opinion, this was probobly my favourite cd from Metallica, pity that they've gone so downhill
22.04.2007 - 18:43
ShowNoMercy
Account deleted
Good album definetly from Metallica, the most successful from the big four of thrash. But i really believe that Kill 'Em All was much more headbangable, but that's just my opinion. 8/10
20.06.2007 - 14:27
Warman
Erotic Stains
Again a very important release and yes, everybody should own this!
----
01.07.2007 - 08:53
Noel Sonic
Account deleted
Their last album is good, but this album is far more better than that.It can be called"masterpiece".I like Fade To Black best. I can feel the feeling from depressing to great anger.It describes the darkest time in life.The Call Of Ktulu make me miss Cliff Burton.He played a very important role in the band.Of cause,For Whom The Bell Tolls,Creeping Death,Trapped Under Ice is very impressive too.
24.07.2007 - 00:29
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
This was the first metal album I ever bought and it's still one of my favorites.
27.12.2007 - 19:21
Rating: 8
Oskmrgo83
Oskmrgo83
I just know that Fade To Black is my fauvorite Metallica ballad. That song makes me feel 130% adrenalized. I was so disappointed when they didn't play that song in Bogota on 1999. Great album, awesome songs, excellent band.
----
Now it's time to... rock!!!!!
10.02.2008 - 23:41
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Taktsekte on 28.07.2006 at 02:40

Amen.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!

Hits total: 20696 | This month: 21