Metal Storm logo
When bands change their singer?

Original post

Posted by ToMegaTherion, 30.09.2009 - 06:44
I guess this is fairly open topic, talk about some aspect of this concept.
What do you do when your favorite band changes its singer?
Have there been any bands who have changed their singer for the better/worse?
Best/Worst singer change?

Anyway the general idea is to open up this discussion, because Im curious what people have to say about this. Because its one thing to change a drummer or a bass player, or an ok guitarist, a band can replase them and move on, but it is to a much less extent for singers. Yes there have been some good changes ie, Paul Di Anno - Bruce Dickinson, Tom Greely - Mat Barlow as well as probably a few others.
Overall I would say if you change your singer you change the most 'human' element of the music, very few bands do it and maintain their album sales and quality.

BTW - Tarja Turunan - Anette Olzen was a great move by Nightwish
23.05.2011 - 06:38
Yasmine

Di'Anno -> Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
Ozzy -> Ronnie James Dio (Black Sabbath)

Agree.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
23.05.2011 - 06:48
Void_Eater
Account deleted
In extreme metal, I couldn't care less. Ragnarok, my favorite black metal band, has had many vocalist changes, and they all sound fine to me. In metal with clean vocals, as long as the replacement is a decent vocalist, I really don't care much. Sometimes it can create a massive improvement, such as Ozzy to Dio.
23.05.2011 - 07:01
Yasmine

"BTW - Tarja Turunan - Anette Olzen was a great move by Nightwish "

That has to be extreme sarcasm.

And Mr.Void I mostly agree about extreme bands, usually not much a difference.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
23.05.2011 - 07:29
Sepulnation

What about Sepultura? Anthrax? Helloween?

When a band change their singers, the band starts a "new age"... for instance, after max, before max.
----
fuck shit up!
23.05.2011 - 07:56
Yasmine

Written by Sepulnation on 23.05.2011 at 07:29

When a band change their singers, the band starts a "new age"... for instance, after max, before max.

That isn't always true. Annihilator, Savatage etc.
----
23.05.2011 - 11:43
Coté

I used to have Nightwish as one of my favorite bands, but, you know what happended...
Now I just stick with their before-Anette material, I tried to listen to the new song but they just seem kind of poppy.
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::
24.05.2011 - 05:50
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Sepulnation on 23.05.2011 at 07:29

Sepultura was already on the groove/nu path before Derick Green joined. Just about every major thrash band stopped thrashing by the time Anthrax's first John Bush album came out; it likely would have happened with or without Joey. I'm not a big fan of Helloween, so I can't speak for them.
23.06.2011 - 22:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Coté on 23.05.2011 at 11:43

I used to have Nightwish as one of my favorite bands, but, you know what happended...
Now I just stick with their before-Anette material, I tried to listen to the new song but they just seem kind of poppy.

well, the same comment about Sepultura here. "Once" already was a very industrial metal-oriented album at times, one can see how they went from Nemo to Amaranth, for example. Obviously Nemo is awesome and Amaranth is dull as hell but i blame Holopainen for that, he does almost all the writing.

anyway, to counter all the hate in this thread, let's not forget the times when changing singers worked extremely well: Iced Earth's Night of the Stormrider, Burnt Offerings and (imo) The Glorious Burden, all four albums Black Sabbath did with Dio, Accept - Blood of the Nations, Exodus's Shovel Headed Kill Machine, and many others.
26.07.2013 - 11:19
Infernal Eternal

I believe the attitude of a band usually changes with the vocalist. Sepultura is a great example, although they started changing before the new singer came. However, his arrival changed the band completely.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
10.02.2014 - 10:43
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
It depends on the singer and the circumstances in place. I personally think Todd La Torre in Queensrÿche is a blessing for that band after the falling out with Tate, while if Jonas Renkse of Katatonia were to be replaced (which would be extremely unlikely, considering he and Nyström are the main men in charge), it would probably be really bad.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
05.03.2014 - 23:11
Thrash del Sur

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.09.2009 at 13:50

Written by TheBigRossowski on 30.09.2009 at 13:37

Guitarists can always be replaced, but a specific voice can't.

Not always. When a guitarist has a signature sound it is hard to replace him. Just listen to Megadeth as glaring example.

I agree with you Marcel! Always sharing your wisdom!

Cannibal Corpse things turned out good, I like Chris Barnes but George is way better then him
05.03.2014 - 23:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Thrash del Sur on 05.03.2014 at 23:11

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.09.2009 at 13:50

Written by TheBigRossowski on 30.09.2009 at 13:37

Guitarists can always be replaced, but a specific voice can't.

Not always. When a guitarist has a signature sound it is hard to replace him. Just listen to Megadeth as glaring example.

I agree with you Marcel! Always sharing your wisdom!

Cannibal Corpse things turned out good, I like Chris Barnes but George is way better then him

Dman, that's an old post of mine you quoted
Had forgot all about it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.03.2014 - 08:51
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I probably wouldn't have noticed that Kamelot changed singers if I hadn't already known that they had.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
10.03.2014 - 09:59
toxx
Supreme being
Mayhem has had a few changes when it comes to vocalists, but also a quite significant change of guitarists. There is a distinct difference in sound with and without Blasphemer on guitar. Depends on who does the writing as well. In my opinion, Mayhem did their best work with Maniac on vocal. And they've had a few different vocalists through the years. Messiah, Dead, Attila (on De Mysteriis), Maniac, and then Attila again.

But then again, the changes in lineup haven't changed the feel of their music. It has evolved, but you still know it's Mayhem.
02.04.2014 - 05:24
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
It depends obviously. Some bands are just not the same at all. Sepultura is awful without Max, and he's not really all that good either without them. Although I do like some Soulfy stuff. Cannibal Corpse I don't like much anymore. Barnes was better. But some bands are different: Iron Maiden I enjoy both singers, same with Black Sabbath. Accused is okay I guess, but definitely not as good without Blaine Cook.
06.05.2014 - 20:09
DayFly

In hard rock, a genre were vocals have a large focus, I often care more about the guitar than the vocals. Accept without Dirkschneider I am fine with (even the maligned Eat the Heat album has a few decent songs), Accept without Hoffman would not keep my interest. Ditto Dokken (Lynch is the man), Black Sabbath (Iommi is a god), Scorpions (I love Roth) and most projects Michael Schenker was involved in.

Vocals in power and doom are more important.

Vocals in extreme metal are a dime a dozen. I honestly wonder why bands bother hiring ''vocalists'' to preform grunts/growls/screeches, considering one of the instrumentalists should be able to produce such noises equally well. Probably to have someone else jump around stage. Then again, I would never imagine anyone listening to, say for instance, thrash because of the vocals.
06.05.2014 - 20:37
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by DayFly on 06.05.2014 at 20:09

Vocals in extreme metal are a dime a dozen. I honestly wonder why bands bother hiring ''vocalists'' to preform grunts/growls/screeches, considering one of the instrumentalists should be able to produce such noises equally well. Probably to have someone else jump around stage. Then again, I would never imagine anyone listening to, say for instance, thrash because of the vocals.

I assume you have no clue of extreme metal to say such thing.
07.05.2014 - 04:44
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by DayFly on 06.05.2014 at 20:09

I feel insulted. Well, not gonna argue.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
08.05.2014 - 07:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
People think Dave Ingram Bolt Thrower is poor?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.05.2014 - 08:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by deadone on 08.05.2014 at 08:00
That album (Honor Valor Pride) never sat well with me. Though to be fair the preceding Karl Willet album was pretty average too (Mercenary).

I'm incredibly biased as I don't think I can consider any Bolt Thrower album to be poor. Even these days with my interest in metal waning extremely I still find myself coming back to their discography on the regular.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.03.2016 - 21:53
Enteroctopus

Borknagar!

But as for Ozzy -> Dio and Chris Barnes -> G Fischer, I feel like technically the replacements are better, but Ozzy and Barnes had distinctive personalities, and Ozzy especially has a one-of-a-kind voice. Sabbath and Corpse are just different bands after their frontmen left.

Really, really good bands, but different. I prefer the original lineups of both.
09.03.2016 - 13:25
Jtbmetal123

It depends on the band for me. Some bands have better original members and some have better replacements.
28.09.2021 - 13:07
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
I got into Black Sabbath mainly through Heaven and Hell I think. I really liked Dio's vocals since I first heard it in Holy Diver.
Therefore, when I listened to older Sabbath, I didn't like Ozzy at first. For example, when I came across Into the Void on YouTube, I loved the heavy riffs, but as soon as Ozzy started singing I couldn't stand it!
Now I've gotten more used to his singing style and see it as a unique element of early Sabbath (kind of like Dave Mustaine in Megadeth). So now I see Ozzy-era Sabbath and Dio-era Sabbath as almost two different, but equally enjoyable bands.
(Although Ozzy's performance on Paranoid makes me sometimes cringe - give me Dio's opera voice any day! )
09.11.2022 - 21:58
TheTrueLHC

It's not the same band anymore.

Change the name.