Metal Storm logo
3rd Wave Ska/Ska-Punk

22.07.2006 - 04:47
CollisionInMind
Account deleted
Hmm... Pretty sure there isn't already a thread on this. Did a search with the search engine and also weeded through the board because I could have sworn I'd already seen one. Must have been on the old MS. Oh well, time to fix that!

Does anyone else love ska as much as I do? I'm rocking out to Streetlight Manifesto right now. Some of my favorite bands of the genre include Streetlight Manifesto (obviously), older Catch 22, Big D & the Kids Table, and although I've never listened to their albums, Reel Big Fish put on a good show a couple nights ago at a gig I was working at.

I have a bunch of friends who are in a local ska band called The Nerd Who Ate St. Louis, and the guitarist and saxaphonist are big metalheads so they dabble in some relatively heavy stuff. In fact, I think the guitarist is registered here, but to my knowledge has never posted. I did guest vocals on one song on their new album (and by "vocals" I mean death growls... yup, in a ska song). Their lyrics are all pretty funny, and are about fun kid stuff like Ninja Turtles, Pac Man, Animorphs, Power Rangers, Zelda, X-Men, and anal rape (nope, not kidding )

Apparently there's a whole "sketal" or ska-thrash scene in New York but I'm not real familiar with it. I don't know if Leftover Crack/Choking Victim (same band, two names, good stuff) are considered part of this.

Big D & the Kids Table has a lot of metallish stuff. In fact I have a T-Shirt with a logo surrounded by the words "Ska," "Punk," "Dub," and "Thrash." Metalheads who are interested, check out the songs "Those Kids Suck" and "Girls Against Drunk Bitches" for good examples of what I'm talking about.

Link time:
www.myspace.com/thenerdwhoatestlouis/ (the first song is the one I did backup vox in - don't get your hopes too high, I don't do much and it's hard to hear the low growls in this mix)

www.myspace.com/bigdandthekidstable
22.07.2006 - 05:17
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Death Metal growls in a Ska song you say? That a first for me. I have to say that this musical subgenre of Rock is not my thing but for no other reason that parts from how the music is heavily influenced by wind instruments, specially the trumpets. The trumpets give the music this feeling, this mood that, by the moment, I can only describe as happy, as party stuff. That is why I find curious the thought of having growls in a song of these. I have no problem with this music but it is just not my thing.
----
Christless
23.07.2006 - 02:13
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Ska huh, well I'm no big fan, I blame it on the fact that I haven't listened to a lot of bands from said genre, but ska is a big movement in Mexico right now, and I am not completely indifferent to it. Say this band called Panteon Rococo, I am strangely into them, not THAT much because some of their songs are way too much for me, but yeah I like them, I could post a link to a download here maybe? There's this really catchy song I'd like to share if that is possible someone get back to me on that one plz : )))
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
26.07.2006 - 03:20
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
ska...i think i only like a band called Los discipulos de otilia or The specials, but the most od the ska bands are for me joke rock...
28.07.2006 - 07:23
Endoftherainbow

Third Wave Ska is a great genre of music I used to play bass in a band like this. We played covers of bands like Big D, The Aquabats, Catch 22, Less then Jake, Streetlight, and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. I really don't listen to this kind of music but the cool part about is how it's really happy and fun and just a good time. Another thing I like about it is it's not serious music it's basically one big party. This genre of ska isn't really all that ska though because it so far away from the original roots of ska it's more influenced by punk. Also some bands in this genre are heavily influenced by the whole thrash metal scene.
03.07.2007 - 23:09
Burning Oasis
Account deleted
I love third wave, but if I'm going to listen to ska you'll most likely catch me listening to 2tone. Mmm, I loves me some Madness, Bad Manners, and English Beat like you don't even know, haha.