Album: Morningrise
Release date: June 1996

01. Advent
02. The Night And The Silent Water
03. Nectar
04. Black Rose Immortal
05. To Bid You Farewell
06. Eternal Soul Torture [2000 reissue bonus]

Many questions have been asked of the style and coherence of Opeth's music. Yet despite the debate and questioning Opeth remain one of the world's leading metal bands. The first of a long line of excellent albums by Opeth was released following their debut Orchid the year before. Morningrise is often regarded as the defining album for the band with a diverse range of sounds, often confusing in composition but nevertheless contrived expertly. It is an epic album full of epic songs, with elements of Death Metal and acoustic blues to mix things up. The album progresses and weaves through a barrage of riffs, solos and an undying unprecedented patience and passion for the music expressed by Mikael Akerfeldt.

As with many early albums of metal bands the production is probably the biggest problem, with the sound being not quite as clear and crisp as the later works of Opeth. Despite the brilliance of the sound and obvious skill in the compositions, you do sometimes need patience to truly enjoy Morningrise. I think this is why the album along with other early Opeth albums isn't rated quite as highly as Still Life, Blackwater Park and others. Patience as a musician and patience as a listener of a musician should never cross over. A musician can have that patience as Mikael Akerfeldt does and yet leave some listeners bored and wondering 'when the hell is he going to get to the point?' This is an art and an illusion very difficult for progressive musicians to overcome, often taking years or in some cases decades.

Morningrise remains a masterpiece in the eyes of many fans; it is a transition album, one of learning and experimenting. Yet it still remains a pleasure to listen too, the song are full of intricate melodies and sound that is best enjoyed by shutting you eyes in order to take into account the complexities and the outstanding poetry through the lyrics. As with many Opeth albums the vocabulary is slightly above average, while not overpowering. Often with Opeth it is the subtleties that make them what they are, they create imagery with their music and through their lyrics that few if any others can replicate.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 10
Production: 8

Written by ToMegaTherion | 01.10.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
marco
Rating:
Before we get to this album, I would like to get an answer to a rather difficult question. Exactly what is Opeth's style ? The riffs are similar to progressive, but Opeth also has death vocals mixed with clean ones and acoustic guitars, plus on top of that the whole album has a dark atmosphere that surrounds the listener each time he/she listens to it. Here you will find everything, aggression and emotion, calm and anger, heaviness and mellowness, everything in one song, yet never sounding like different parts, but always in a flow.

Read more ››
published 18.09.2003 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
Talvi
Rating:
Actually, many people know Opeth. It is a love it or hate it band. You can love how the music flows without following typical structures. You won't expect those heavy riffs after the relaxing acoustic break. But you can hate how each song looks like some random riffs put together. Well, this review is from one who does love, at least, this album.

Read more ››
published 22.07.2006 | Comments (27)

Guest review by
andreosokin
Rating:
Morningrise is considered to be an iconic album for death metal fans, but the word iconic also applies to Opeth's history, because it certainly gave them that boost of popularity in the underground metal scene of the '90s. Just look at the album ratings on various music database sites and you'll see what impact it had on the listeners.

Read more ››
published 01.11.2016 | Comments (10)

Comments

Comments: 19   Visited by: 196 users
01.10.2009 - 10:51
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
I love the production on this album. I think it adds to the majestic, organic sound.
01.10.2009 - 11:02
Rating: 8
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
For me the best album by Opeth, so maybe i would rate it even a bit more, but 9 seems fair for "great album"
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

01.10.2009 - 12:27
Rating: 10
flamey

I'd give it a 10, one of my all-time favorite albums. Nice review too.
01.10.2009 - 12:42
Warman
Erotic Stains
All the songs here are some of the best they've done, especially "The Night and the Silent Water" being on my top 5 Opeth songs list. Good review and rating too, although I see nothing wrong with the production.
----
01.10.2009 - 13:55
-N-

I like this album, but i think Morningrise is not the best album of opeth!!!
01.10.2009 - 14:21
Andresopeth

Nice review, but i agree with people in comments, i like production of this one. The most impressive work of this band, even knowing it not my favorite of them, but i definitely love this album.
01.10.2009 - 16:25
The Night Wisher

Well, i couldn't get into Opeth, therefore I only liked "Blackwater Park" ...I don't know whether I'd like it if I buy it or not ...
01.10.2009 - 17:55
Rating: 9
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Easily their best album... I love everything about it. Desperate vocals, awesome bass, organic production. Everything I love about the band was taken to the max here.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.10.2009 - 22:06
Rating: 8
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Everyone i know says Blackwater Park is the best...which i dont understand btw
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

02.10.2009 - 13:12
IronAngel

BWP is the most polished culmination of their progress from My Arse and through Still Life. And it's pretty damn good at that, but I'd say its most obvious virtue is that it's easy to get into, while maintaining quality. With some patience, I think stuff like Morningrise really reveals the many layers Opeth has woven into the music, and indeed rises above (or equal to) BWP. I think their Morningrise-Damnation period is the definite best one. Nice review.
02.10.2009 - 23:12
White Metal

Morningrise is my Fav metal album of all Times ... Thx for the great review
12.10.2009 - 23:56
iaberis
Advice Troll
Tr00ly c00l review
----
Bitch! Please
20.10.2009 - 01:11
PedroBotero

Morningrise is the best Opeth album by far, and probably one of the most greatest metal releases of all time. Time will give reason to morningrise fantatics like me (and many others...):yes:
22.10.2009 - 18:47
JunN_Vai

The Night And The Silent Water............ The acoustic part before closing riff...... I cannot find the best words to describe it ....it's too amazing.......
23.10.2009 - 07:26
wormdrink414

I don't really like Opeth, but I absolutely agree with this score.
08.01.2010 - 21:28
advent

Nice review...and yes it is Opeth best album with no competition.
10.09.2011 - 13:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by IronAngel on 02.10.2009 at 13:12

I think their Morningrise-Damnation period is the definite best one.

YES.
Although I will slighty change the period (because of personal reason: Orchid-Blackwater Park is for me the best Opeth period. One masterpiece after another. Every single song being an instant piece of art to my ears.
----
Rod, let me love you.
10.09.2011 - 18:29
IronAngel

Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.09.2011 at 13:11

Written by IronAngel on 02.10.2009 at 13:12

I think their Morningrise-Damnation period is the definite best one.

YES.
Although I will slighty change the period (because of personal reason: Orchid-Blackwater Park is for me the best Opeth period. One masterpiece after another. Every single song being an instant piece of art to my ears.

Haha, what an old quote. And what a stupid point I made, calling almost the entire catalog of the band at that point their best period.

I think I was never that big of an Orchid fan. Deliverance is a little meh, but I love Damnation. After that, I can't be bothered with their releases. Not that I really listen to their older stuff anymore, either. But it's still nice.
10.09.2011 - 18:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by IronAngel on 10.09.2011 at 18:29

After that, I can't be bothered with their releases. Not that I really listen to their older stuff anymore, either. But it's still nice.

I rarely listen to Opeth this days. But I still have that opinion about their discography. I don't see Opeth making something better than Orchid-Blackwater Park-period any time soon.
----
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 6728 | This month: 7