Metal Storm logo
Soulfly

Original post

Posted by Bas, 17.05.2006 - 14:03
Soulfly is one of the only alternative bands i can still enjoy nowadays, so i decided to make a thread for them, my favourite album of theirs is 3 followed by Primitive,

i have listened to Dark Ages yet though, as far as i know its more of a thrashmetal album though..?

anyway, please tell me what you think of this band and what your favourite albums are

and hey, no need in comparing them to Sepultura the whole time, its quite a while ago now that Max left them, no need to still discuss this topic, right?
21.02.2008 - 03:29
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
I like, I really like Soulfly but for me... How can I say it... Old Sepultura is Old Sepultura(max days)... Soulfly is no match for them...
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
22.02.2008 - 21:25
Varegan
Hamranakara
the worst band could ever exist
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
24.02.2008 - 21:15
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Written by Varegan on 22.02.2008 at 21:25

There are worst bands ... But when we think of Max we´re thinking Sepultura and that's not easy... (old) Sepultura is in a higher level!
----
24.02.2008 - 21:30
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by SlaytallicA on 24.02.2008 at 21:15

There are worst bands ... But when we think of Max we´re thinking Sepultura and that's not easy... (old) Sepultura is in a higher level!

pity! best thrashers of 80s became worst rap-metals of 00s
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
16.03.2008 - 21:51
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Written by Varegan on 24.02.2008 at 21:30

What do you mean by that??
----
17.03.2008 - 01:28
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I think he's referring to the beat boxing on the first two albums. Thank god they quit doing that.
12.06.2008 - 21:16
The Thrasher
Account deleted
everething that max cavalera do i like,soulfly is one of the best thrash metal bands out there and i like a lot the experiments that max do in his music.the best album of soulfly is 3 and dark ages.
12.06.2008 - 23:25
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Soulfly isnt as bad as everyone think.
Of course, some songs have an horrible rap guest ... but that experimental time of Max has already gone... the good things of his experiences (the tribal themes, and the cultural references) are very well used and and continue to be used. Especially in this new phase of the band, a modern thrash metal, but still thrash metal.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
15.06.2008 - 15:50
Madame Nocturna
Account deleted
Max Cavalera is God ! =)
Every project he made is so fucking great and much more !
Soulfly is my fav bands ever and every song is special and have some karma in it. But if I have to choose, ˝Dark Ages˝ are their best album.
Can't wait to hear new ˝Conquer˝ album.
16.06.2008 - 02:26
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Guest on 15.06.2008 at 15:50

Max Cavalera is God ! =)
Every project he made is so fucking great and much more !
Soulfly is my fav bands ever and every song is special and have some karma in it. But if I have to choose, ˝Dark Ages˝ are their best album.
Can't wait to hear new ˝Conquer˝ album.

If he's not a god than he is a genious!! Anyone wants some creative thrash metal?? listen to Soulfly.
Even that songs with 3 minutes instrumental parts can be easily enjoyed (Mars, Four Elements, Karmageddon, Living Sacrifice and of course... the Soulfly numbered songs )!!
Dark Ages is a great album, one of the heaviest. But i prefer when the ''folk-tribal'' elements are present in a outstanding way.. like they did in ''3'' and ''Primitive''. In dark ages only ''Innerspirit'' ''Staystrong'' ''Frontlines'' and ''Soulfly V'' has it.

I can't wait for Conquer either !! But it seems like theres no more that traditional song in portuguese , and... please Max, dont ever give up the tribal themed songs !!!
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
16.06.2008 - 23:09
Madame Nocturna
Account deleted
Yeah ! I agree with u. But Max said that on ˝Conquer˝ will be next Soulfly instrumental tribal song - Soulfly VI. Best instrumental song 4 me is Soulfly V. Just beatutiful. And ofc that tribal elements are great. He just represent his roots and I respect that. Just like Ill Nino in their songs. I mean, Christian sings in english and spanish and u can hear in every song tribal elements. That's the reason I like that 2 bands very much. And I can't wait to see both of them again in my country. And I would like to visit Brasil too. (sry on offtopic but I must say that.)
23.07.2008 - 13:48
Madame Nocturna
Account deleted
New album ˝Conquer˝ is like mix of Cavalera Conspiracy & Sepultura (Roots days). I'm a bit disappointed with it cuz it's not ˝traditional Soulfly album.˝ I mean, there's not that tribal elements in songs. But i can rate it with 8,5/10.
24.07.2008 - 19:46
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Varegan on 24.02.2008 at 21:30

Ah.. No, they are not rap-metal! Their works are well when you compare them to other Nu-Metal bands... Dark Ages was a passable album.
13.08.2008 - 17:25
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I bought Conquer yesterday, and while I'm a little disappointed, I still like it. Yeah, it's not as enjoyable for me as Dark Ages, and sometimes it comes across pretty generic, but it's metal the whole way through so I really can't complain. Fall Of Sycophants is my favorite song from that album because it's the fastest, and Unleash has grown on me since the first few times I played it.

It's bullshit that they aren't on metal-archives. Sometimes I really hate that site.
20.08.2008 - 04:49
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Guest on 23.07.2008 at 13:48

New album ˝Conquer˝ is like mix of Cavalera Conspiracy & Sepultura (Roots days). I'm a bit disappointed with it cuz it's not ˝traditional Soulfly album.˝ I mean, there's not that tribal elements in songs. But i can rate it with 8,5/10.

i agree.. its good.. but could be better...
There is some tribal elements.. they're just very hide in the songs... theres a good interlude on ''Unleash'', ''Fall of the Cychofants'' and ''Touching the void''

The worst song is ''Enemy Ghost''. The rest is that descent work as always, simple lyrics, some instrumental parts (most not tribal.. too bad for me ) and nice solos.
I liked the ''Soulfly VI'', its like a short version of ''Soulfly V'', but different and very sentimental
----

----
21.08.2008 - 17:48
AlmaMater
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.07.2008 at 13:48

It was certenly a step down from Dark Ages, for the lack of thrash elements, but also for the lack of tribal elements that made Soulfly unique and that were present in their first albums, still it has some interesting moments, though.
02.09.2008 - 15:02
Madame Nocturna
Account deleted
I didn't say that they don't have interesting moments. I just miss old Soulfly like on their Dark Ages & Primitive albums. That's the same story with other bands like KoRn, SlipKnot , etc.
19.09.2008 - 00:43
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
this band is really starting to grow on me a real interesting band
19.09.2008 - 23:59
Madame Nocturna
Account deleted
They're interesting since their 1st album.
20.09.2008 - 16:27
Hamird
Lieutenant
Oh, not very first album, I had all their stuff from the beginning, Soulfly, Primitive and 3..
But this band after Prophecy started to begin a new music.. One of the reasons may be Rizzo, he is a talented musician.. I like them after Prophecy more than before...
21.09.2008 - 02:00
LethargyMan

Primitive was the best of the three pre-Rizzo albums. This is mostly because the drummer was actually good; Joe Nunez played on that one and has been the drummer for the last three albums.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
29.09.2008 - 02:43
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Does the production on the new album piss anyone else off? Didn't Andy Sneap produce/mix it? God anything that guy touches sounds like shit.

I played the Cavalera Conspiracy album right after the new Soufly and I think Inflikted is much better. Max giving us two albums this year makes me happy lol
06.10.2008 - 01:20
Madame Nocturna
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 29.09.2008 at 02:43

Does the production on the new album piss anyone else off? Didn't Andy Sneap produce/mix it? God anything that guy touches sounds like shit.

I played the Cavalera Conspiracy album right after the new Soufly and I think Inflikted is much better. Max giving us two albums this year makes me happy lol

I don't know anything about production but I agree with u about ˝Inflikted.˝ That album i smuch better than ˝Conquer.˝ I think that Max made a mistake when he done 2 albums in such a short period. When I listen CC & Soulfly songs on my iPod, sometimes I get confused about wich of the bands song is. lol xD They're sounds very same. But new Soufly is like a mix of old Sepultura & CC.
08.10.2008 - 12:27
Hamird
Lieutenant
Conquer is not bad, but Inflikted is much more better than Conquer.. Still in Conquer you can find some interesting tracks on Conquer. I enjoyed Blood, Fire, War, Hate and Paranoia.. And I think Soulfly VI has improved..
Have you heard the cover of Marilyn Manson's song?? That was interesting too, that Cavalera covered Marilyn Manson's song..
08.10.2008 - 13:08
Madame Nocturna
Account deleted
Written by Hamird on 08.10.2008 at 12:27

Conquer is not bad, but Inflikted is much more better than Conquer.. Still in Conquer you can find some interesting tracks on Conquer. I enjoyed Blood, Fire, War, Hate and Paranoia.. And I think Soulfly VI has improved..
Have you heard the cover of Marilyn Manson's song?? That was interesting too, that Cavalera covered Marilyn Manson's song..

Realy ? Wich one ?!
08.10.2008 - 13:15
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Guest on 08.10.2008 at 13:08

Realy ? Wich one ?!

The Beautiful People
08.10.2008 - 23:59
Madame Nocturna
Account deleted
Written by Hamird on 08.10.2008 at 13:15

Written by Guest on 08.10.2008 at 13:08

Realy ? Wich one ?!

The Beautiful People

Today I was talking with my friend smth 'bout Max and she ask me have I heard cover on MM's song and than she said that it's Beautiful People.
30.10.2008 - 01:54
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
I'd say their genre is like "neo-thrash" or something-- not incredibly alternative, but still very unique sound.

speaking of which, Conquer is an awesome album-- Blood Fire War Hate hahaha soooo metal!!
19.02.2009 - 11:50
frontpage

Max cavalera is, and will always be my hero.
The work he did with sepultura(arise,beneath the remais,..) are in my opinion, the best albums ever made.
I'm not so into the first 3 albums of soulfly, although they do ofcourse have great tracks on 'em (Seek 'n strike, eye for an eye,downstroy,back to the primitive,..) but since prophecy soulfly is one of the best metal bands around.

What does dissapoint me are the lyrics since dark ages, max can write much better.
Also the live shows aren't what they used to be, max doesn't play the guitar anymore and his guitar is vey low in the mix, and now and then his voice gets tired.

In the first EU tour for conquer the setlist sucked, luckily with the tour that they are doing now they are adding some variety to it(Sanctuary,bumbklaat,red war,...)

Soulflytribe for ever!
----
http://www.last.fm/user/frontpage2
06.03.2009 - 18:50
_HIV_

I like soulfly very much but i realy dont like the flamenco guitar parts in the songs! dont get me wrong marc is an awsome guitarist but sometimes his guitarwork is out of place!