Metal Storm logo
Soulfly

Original post

Posted by Bas, 17.05.2006 - 14:03
Soulfly is one of the only alternative bands i can still enjoy nowadays, so i decided to make a thread for them, my favourite album of theirs is 3 followed by Primitive,

i have listened to Dark Ages yet though, as far as i know its more of a thrashmetal album though..?

anyway, please tell me what you think of this band and what your favourite albums are

and hey, no need in comparing them to Sepultura the whole time, its quite a while ago now that Max left them, no need to still discuss this topic, right?
24.08.2006 - 14:39
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
can someonw answer me something
they guitar player from band always play with skool bag on , why is that??? anyone knows this
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
24.08.2006 - 20:21
deathmor
Account deleted
I recognized also this guy with the schoolbag and I it surprised me. However I don't know why he has it. A great think is that they have many free videos on their homepage.
31.08.2006 - 17:31
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
really dind't know that, (never chekc their homepage)
----
Erno Paasilinna
31.08.2006 - 18:10
Warman
Erotic Stains
I am really curious to hear Soulfly since I am a big Sepultura fan.
----
01.09.2006 - 06:33
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Their new album is pretty thrashtastic. For no reason whatsoever I just decided to listen to some of their new material and it's really refreshing. Even better than I remember when I first heard it. I might pick up the album tomorrow.
----
The force will be with you, always.
01.09.2006 - 08:56
LethargyMan

There's one thing that really stands out every time I listen to their first album: The dumming was suprisingly shitty. I'm glad Soulfly brought the drummer from Primitive back after the 3 album, because that guy was actually decent.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
03.09.2006 - 16:32
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
Written by Warman on 31.08.2006 at 18:10

well to me Soulfly is better then Sepultra without Max
----
Erno Paasilinna
03.09.2006 - 19:19
lordz
IzZo
Written by EddieGunner on 03.09.2006 at 16:32

Totally agree............. by the way does anyone know why Soulfly's band profile on MS is not up yet?? ... I mean come on these guys are better than alot of the featured bands on MS dont you think???
04.09.2006 - 03:21
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
The only instance in which I would rather listen to Soulfly over Max-era Sepultura is when choosing between Dark Ages or Prophecy and Roots. Dark Ages is actually a damn good cd...much better than Roots. Other than that I would easily choose Max-era Sepultura over Soulfly.
04.09.2006 - 03:55
Endoftherainbow

No doubt about that Dark Ages was an album that caught me off guard I definently didn't see it comming it sounds like it could have been an Max-era Sepultura record almost. I agree that Soulfly is better then Sepultura without Max I wonder how their gonna be now to without the drummer.
04.09.2006 - 08:58
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Hmm.. Soulfly may be good again? Their debut was pretty good, looking back now I can't imagine how I ever liked the song "Bleed" but Max himself writes some good music, albeit not very complicated I've always enjoyed his political and empowering messages. He did some good stuff in Nailbomb too.
09.09.2006 - 20:10
Cut-Throat

Written by lordz on 03.09.2006 at 19:19

Written by EddieGunner on 03.09.2006 at 16:32

Totally agree............. by the way does anyone know why Soulfly's band profile on MS is not up yet?? ... I mean come on these guys are better than alot of the featured bands on MS dont you think???

agreed! how can you have shit bands like HIM on metalstorm and not have a great bands like Soulfly!
29.09.2006 - 05:50
afz902k
Account deleted
I like Dante (Album) better than anything I've heard from Soufly.
13.10.2006 - 15:51
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Guest on 29.09.2006 at 05:50

I like Dante (Album) better than anything I've heard from Soufly.

If you mean Dante XXI, that's not a Soulfly album. It is Sepultura's latest release.
----
09.11.2006 - 08:10
Robstar

Great Brazilian Shit ...
I rather Cavalera in his old days with Sepultura but Soulfly became a great project!
I got 5 of their albums!
I just got their latest Dark Ages... quite good , I did like it !
Soulfly fucking RoCkS:thumbup:
----
Nothing is unreacheable
01.12.2006 - 22:15
angel
Account deleted
i also like soulfly. i love primitive and dark ages. these are their best releases I think
11.12.2006 - 19:29
_HIV_

Written by Guest on 01.12.2006 at 22:15

i also like soulfly. i love primitive and dark ages. these are their best releases I think

no need to think you're right on the money!
but i still kinda hope that soulfly will do an album like it was sepultura-s Chaos A.D.!
15.12.2006 - 23:43
Strid
Account deleted
I've only ever heard one song by them, Prophecy....and this was on (yes, dare I say) mtv. It was cool.
24.03.2007 - 17:24
SteTech

Heard some stuff on their myspace and decided to check out their newest album. I wasn't blown away by it, but there's some decent stuff on it. Babylon is damn catchy!
05.05.2007 - 20:58
Raserei
Account deleted
I donno though, i almost prefer Soulfly over Sepultura, with or without Max. Its just a personal thing i guess.
06.05.2007 - 03:58
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Guest on 05.05.2007 at 20:58

I donno though, i almost prefer Soulfly over Sepultura, with or without Max. Its just a personal thing i guess.

I like old Sepultura songs much more than Soulfly (what a statemnt lol), but now I definetely prefer Soulfly, they are better than Sepultura, and their live concerts are much more powerfull. Not a huge fan of a band though
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
06.05.2007 - 08:22
Tencho

Soulfly, very good. www.soulflyargentina.cjb.net
17.05.2007 - 20:43
Ereinion'
Account deleted
How are the new demo trax?
28.07.2007 - 02:28
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Marc Rizzo has added two more songs from his upcoming solo album "The Ultimate Devotion", which is due on July 31 through Shrapnel Records in the U.S. and Mascot Records throughout Europe. You can hear "The Riddle of Steel" and "Angelina Song" as well as the previously released vocal track "All for Nothing" here.
16.08.2007 - 02:29
Olli

I really like soulfly, i have primitive and dark ages and i've listened to both of them many times. I think i prefer primitive, but both are very good.
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
21.08.2007 - 15:24
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Professionally videos from Soulfly performing entire show at Pukkelpop 2007 can be found here. Enjoy.
14.10.2007 - 02:17
Templar_Knight
Account deleted
What can be said about Max's band? Simply amazing
04.11.2007 - 17:24
Ereinion'
Account deleted
The webmaster on the Soulfly forum has posted this:

hey dudes, i'm back to my computer for the first time in 5 days after a hectic week. i broke my knee open when i was skateboarding last week and i had 4 midterms on top of that, so i've been fucking busy.

anyway, i owe it to you all for killing the buzz in this forum by making promises and not always following through, so here's my story from my visit to orlando, florida!

on wednesday 9/26 i got a call from gloria's assistant, and i was jumping out of my fucking shoes with excitement and anticipation 24/7 until i left on friday morning (sep. 28th)..

my plane touched down in orlando at two pm and bobby b. stopped by the airport soon after to give me a lift back to the studio. traffic was bad coming from the airport to the porch so me and bobby were able to have a nice long chat in his car on the way there.. it was fucking crazy to be chillin' with bobby, and even crazier to think that i was going into a gas station to get munchies with him like i would with any of my other friends. we talked about anything imaginable: the florida area, our families and where we lived, our jobs, our favorite music, bands we wanted to see, bobby's bands and what he thinks of the other guys he plays with, bullshit in the world etc. bobby's a fucking awesome dude; very down-to-earth, very level headed, and very unique. amazingly, when i asked him what band he wants to see, the only one he mentioned was one of my favorite bands (who i'm waiting to see this november) called BATTLES!

after about an hour we arrived at the studio. it was hidden in a residential neighborhood in the right half of tim lau's single story house in orlando. we were greeted out front immediately by max, who was on his way out on a walk around the area to collect some noise with his microphone after a rainstorm. we went inside to find a house full of all of the band's equipment on one side and massive porch with a two room studio on the opposite end. i was expecting to see a full entourage for soulfly, but it was an amazingly intimate atmosphere; just max, bobby, marc, joe, gloria, two guitar techs (phil and kenny), and tim lau (the recording engineer). for the first hour while tim was prepping the studio for recording we watched a movie and talked about what had been recorded so far. i went out to the porch for half an hour with max and interviewed him on his own video camera (for a video that we plan to put up on the site around december), and throughout the night i interview marc, joe, and bobby to get their input on the album too..

that night after gloria made a fantastic salmon pasta dinner for us all, we went to the studio where Max played some of the tracks for the new album. FUCKING BRUTAL. you guys don't even know what to expect (and i don't either) but this is going to be the most incredible soulfly album yet. it is exactly what max has been promising from a soulfly album, and so much more! the music is somewhere between schizo and beneath the remains and it's layered with so many intricacies and subtle aspects of max's personality that i can't even begin to describe it all. 15 songs had been put to tape when i arrived, and virtually all of them had been written from the ground up during the two weeks when soulfly was at the studio. all of the core instruments were recorded, but most of the vocals hadn't been touched yet.

fuckin BRUTALLLL!!

most of the tracking was done by the time i arrived so i spent the night watching marc fuck around with pedals and effects while he played amazing riffs all night trying to perfect the clean guitar tones and noises on all of their experimental shit... i virtually got to watch soulfly vi be made from from scratch (into all of its pink floyd inspired madness..) it was fucking incredible to say the least. i watched in amazement for 4 hours or so, and literally fell asleep watching marc play guitar with just me, marc, and tim in the room. (i woke up at four am on the couch in a totally dark studio with a heineken in my hand Smile)

the next day was very gloomy outside, but it was cool cause it was fun at the house. joe n. stopped by early and so did bobby, and we spent most of the morning hanging out, sharing music with each other and eating good food while we listened to the tracking that was done the day before. ritchie and little igor cavalera came in from phoenix that day to hang out, and max showed me some of his music when he got back from getting them at the airport. Max has a crazy cd collection; most of the shit you would never expect from max, but at the same time, anything seems logical when you're talking about max cavalera (he had a 600 cd case of purely underground reggae)

it was a special day for tracking on the 29th because david vincent from morbid angel was coming in to work on a song with max. he got there at 1 or 2 and him and max went right to work in crafting one of the most insane tracks for the album. you're all going to shit yourselves when you hear how heavy max and evil d sound together over the sick shred of soulfly on that song. Cool i got to watch the whole song being made, and i have to say that watching david vincent work is one of the most mind blowingly evil things i've seen in my entire life. he's a verrrrry cool fucking dude.

max and david wrote and recorded from 4 till 11 and after that, everyone wrapped up and said their good byes for the week, and went home with a full stomach courtesy of gloria and her amazing managing/cooking skills. i had a hard time going to sleep that night knowing that i had to leave the next morning.

everyone i spent time with was incredible. joe, bobby, phil, tim, david, marc, kenny, gloria, david, max, ritchie all deserve a big thank you from me for opening their homes and time to me and showing me an amazing time as a friend. i made some fucking incredible memories with them all that i'll share in my heart forever, and i can't wait til i can see my friends in soulfly again

after everyone left orlando on the first, max and gloria will be heading to egypt and siberia for a month to collect more noise for the new album. after that, max will return to orlando to record most of his vocal tracks with tim.. and after that a new album will be on the way.. Andy Sneap is mixing this one.

i'm working on a new design for the main site using some of the hundreds of photos which i collected in orlando, so stay tuned for that and more interviews and videos throughout the end of the year. album 6 will be ready in summer of 2008
05.11.2007 - 16:52
IllNiñoSweden

I like Soulfly. Because this band have good guitars in the songs.
And Max Cavalera is the best on Vocals and Guitar in the world!!

Soulflys best song is Living Sacrifice!!
07.12.2007 - 02:50
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
It'll be interesting to hear Dave Vincent's (Morbid Angel) guest appearance on the new Soulfly album. I'm sure that will be one of their most brutal songs.