Release date: September 2009

01. Lookin' Out My Back Door [Creedence Clearwater Revival cover]
02. Hell Is For Children [Pat Benatar cover]
03. Somebody Put Something In My Drink [Ramones cover]
04. Mass Hypnosis [Sepultura cover]
05. Don't Stop At The Top [Scorpions cover]
06. Silent Scream [Slayer cover]
07. She Is Beautiful [Andrew W.K. cover]
08. Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) [Kenny Rogers cover]
09. Bed Of Nails [Alice Cooper cover]
10. Hellion [W.A.S.P. cover]
11. Aces High [Iron Maiden cover]
12. Rebel Yell [Billy Idol cover]
13. No Commands [Stone cover]
14. Antisocial [Trust cover]
15. Talk Dirty To Me [Poison cover]
16. War Inside My Head [Suicidal Tendencies cover]
17. Ooops!? I Did It Again [Britney Spears cover]

Extreme Power metal
Spinefarm Records
Finland
Length: 1:05:45

It is no secret that Children Of Bodom are a massive force in the metal world with legions of young fans ready to snap up anything with Alexi's name on it. Cover albums are in general unnecessary releases, but more times than not the band pleases their fans as they experience the band in a completely different light putting their own spin on songs that may well have influenced them while growing up.

There is no reason to suspect otherwise with Skeletons In The Closet as this release shows Children Of Bodom rip and tear through a very bizarre set of songs ranging from old rockers to fast and hard thrash hits. The seasoned Children Of Bodom fan will know that a lot of the covers on this album are not exclusive to it, and can actually be found on various singles and as bonus tracks on albums. Skeletons In The Closet therefore ties up into a neat and tidy package all of the covers the band want you to hear.

The rock songs don't sound like rock any more with Alexi's unnecessary harsh vocals and keyboards overbear everything, and the heaviest tracks such as Sepultura's "Mass Hypnosis" sound like a watered down shadow of the original. Slayer's "Silent Scream" is one of the best covers included, accompanied by "She Is Beautiful", originally from Andrew W.K. which suits Alexi's punkish attitude perfectly. Alice Cooper's classic "Bed Of Nails" is suitably butchered illustrating when harsh vocals should not be used, as well as the obligatory Iron Maiden cover of "Aces High" at twice the speed and with harsh vocals doesn't quite suit.

No one outside of the fanatic should expect anything great here, and it would be wrong to over analyse such a release. Children Of Bodom have had some fun covering some of their favourite songs and have decided to compile them all onto one handy disc. Some songs work, some don't, that is the nature of cover albums. The most important thing is that the disc entertains the listener. With Skeletons In The Closet, it is hard to find much entertainment apart from watching your friend's reaction to a metal version of Britney Spears' "Ooops!? I Did It Again", but there is no doubt that the Children Of Bodom legions, the Hate Club, will lap this album up like cream to a cat. Casual listeners stay away.

Written on 14.10.2009 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 31   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 469 users
14.10.2009 - 17:28
frankeli
Account deleted
What!!!!???? Britney Spears cover :banger2:;D;D;D;D;D;D;D I must hear that !!!!
14.10.2009 - 17:52
rpsgc

It's really not that bad actually
14.10.2009 - 17:58
Shadowcross
The Summoner
I had already heard most of these covers by the band before this year somehow...
I'd never bothered to listen to them then, so i doubt i'll want to listen to the filler covers also.
The last CoB album was a bit rubbish, shame..
14.10.2009 - 18:02
Metalmorphosis

Harsh vocals don' suit Bed Of Nails ? Wth ? I think it's much more better that way. Just because you love the older songs the way they are, doesn't mean the covers don't suit them... that's the point, it's the vision of the band, and they have nailed them all. And yes, I am a fan.
14.10.2009 - 18:30
Rating: 1
warrior_of_ice

More crap from Bodom. are they running out of ideas? Following in Metallica's footsteps with Garage Inc.? because I dont see why this "crapulation" of half-assed covers was released for purposes other than accumulating revenue from the ever fanatical Bodom Hate Crue...
14.10.2009 - 20:36
Jon

Yea, I have a problem with Alexi's vocals too. Some fun stuff on here though for those who choose to buy it, most of which a lot of people have already accumulated at some point. The Britney cover is essential though... almost got my girlfriend into Bodom hehe
----
A mythology is a religion different enough from your own for it's absurdity to be obvious.
14.10.2009 - 21:27
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Didn't expect it to be worth my money anyway... But please DON'T be rude to COB's version of Aces High. It's probably one of the best metal-to-metal cover ever. But it's already on my Deluxe Hatebreeder, so I won't lose time or money getting this thing
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
14.10.2009 - 21:50
Fat & Sassy!

Written by MétalNoir on 14.10.2009 at 21:27

Didn't expect it to be worth my money anyway... But please DON'T be rude to COB's version of Aces High. It's probably one of the best metal-to-metal cover ever.

I agree. By no means am I a big fan of this band, but the keyboard solo translation in that cover is badass. >:C
14.10.2009 - 23:04
Got Mayhem?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The only reason to release such an album. Disappointed, but post HCDR bodom has low expectations from me anyways.
----
15.10.2009 - 01:42
BlankFile

Britney Spears cover? No way... LOL
15.10.2009 - 05:41
FOOCK Nam

Remind of a album with all cover songs of COB. Must relisten to it, m/
15.10.2009 - 12:57
Devilspeed

Children of Bodom are garbage.
15.10.2009 - 13:48
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I know some of those covers and those sound quite good...

btw. there exist people who never heard about this notorious cover of Britney Spears? cant believe it...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

15.10.2009 - 17:05
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Ellrohir on 15.10.2009 at 13:48

btw. there exist people who never heard about this notorious cover of Britney Spears? cant believe it...

Indeed, I'm surprised too
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
15.10.2009 - 22:20
yourmomiskvlt

Albums full of shitty stadium anthems and now a cover album? Looks like CoB have been talking lessons on sucking from metallica.

I can guarantee though that the metal kiddies are going to gobble this one up. But when has posers selling garbage to idots been anything new in the world of metal.
16.10.2009 - 07:51
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 14.10.2009 at 17:28

Yeah...'cos it wasn't old news like 4 years ago or anything... :

EDIT: Holy fuck did they ever butcher "Aces High"...Faster does not equate to better Mr.Laiho
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.10.2009 - 10:59
rock_2_thrash

I am so so diosappointed. Their last album was not gr8 and this one, is it a prelude to another new album.Then its bad news. I agree with co-metalstormers ....his throat has owned a scar ? maybe his been having a lot of rasp'berry juice. Surely no one hyponitized them into releasing this massive crap covers. Britney spears .....wow..stunned !!! no Pantera no Megadeth no no no no The Hatebreeders did a real awesome job with their cover album. OK its a fun thing to do cover album but bringer a sucker out of it....is so so popshittly lame.
----
..the darkness and silence are the end of my song!!!!!
17.10.2009 - 22:24
quirin

Who's gonna actually buy this release? ...I admit the Ramones cover is decent though.
18.10.2009 - 15:08
Lord_Regnier

Written by yourmomiskvlt on 15.10.2009 at 22:20

But when has posers selling garbage to idiots been anything new in the world of metal?

Indeed.
By the way, you just found Manowar's recipe to earn a living.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
18.10.2009 - 15:44
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Why no ratings?
18.10.2009 - 15:45
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Guest on 14.10.2009 at 17:28

that's some song:kopkop:
18.10.2009 - 15:46
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by rpsgc on 14.10.2009 at 17:52

It's really not that bad actually

it really isn't.
18.10.2009 - 21:45
Baz Anderson

Written by Hermann Langke on 18.10.2009 at 15:44

Why no ratings?

I tend not to give ratings to cover albums, EPs, re-releases, etc.
They don't really need one. At least that way people actually read the actual review as well.
18.10.2009 - 21:51
Darkside Momo
Retired
Interesting to note that the best covers are the oldest (Andrew W.K., Slayer...)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
19.10.2009 - 15:20
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Baz Anderson on 18.10.2009 at 21:45

Written by Hermann Langke on 18.10.2009 at 15:44

Why no ratings?

I tend not to give ratings to cover albums, EPs, re-releases, etc.
They don't really need one. At least that way people actually read the actual review as well.

i get it buddy but still it deserves ratings.
20.10.2009 - 14:51
Slayer666

Haha, oh my god, CoB has to be THE most unimaginateve band ever! Actually, scratch that. In order for a metal band to record a Britney Spears cover, their imagination must be runnin' crazy.
21.10.2009 - 00:22
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
I was hoping they'd finally do a studio cover of "Don't Stop Believing" but I guess not. If that was on here, I'd buy the album.
----
(space for rent)
26.10.2009 - 00:48
Akundunz

Pretty shitty. A couple of good songs though.

The Spears cover has alwyas seemed pretty funny to me, ha haha. =P
08.12.2009 - 14:53
ImNotMetal

I heard that they covered europe's final countdown and iron maiden's the trooper. But i can't find at whole discography.
13.03.2010 - 01:23
Rating: 9
N.V.E

Metalstorm is being too damn rude to COB like rating the Album "Are u dead yet?" (5)!!!!!!!.... And now this review ! I'm not saying this albums great but at least have some respect for one of the most Album seller metal bands ever!...

Hits total: 10159 | This month: 14