Metal Storm logo
Ensiferum interview (10/2009)

With: Petri Lindroos
Conducted by: Baz Anderson (in person)
Published: 14.10.2009

Band profile:

Ensiferum

Ensiferum's long European tour hit a cold and dark Nottingham as part of the UK leg. I managed to climb onto Ensiferum's tour bus to get some words with the band's strangely poker-faced but welcoming frontman.

We talk about the band's changes, what really happened regarding leaving Norther and I try to talk about Wintersun.

For a review of the night's show, visit this location.

Many thanks to Dante of Spinefarm for setting up the interview.
Conducted and edited by Barry Anderson, video recording by Rachel Muir.

Posted on 14.10.2009 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 35   Visited by: 281 users
14.10.2009 - 19:26
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
That was strangely poker-faced, but interesting to see.
14.10.2009 - 19:32
FeskarN

Nice interview. I'm getting even more worried about Jari now, when Petri didnt answer the question about Wintersun's upcoming album.
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
14.10.2009 - 19:48
warrior_of_ice

Always thought that Petri had less of a Finnish accent, still better than Kimi Raikkonen.
14.10.2009 - 19:48
csiga
Munin
Written by Introspekrieg on 14.10.2009 at 19:26

That was strangely poker-faced, but interesting to see.

just typical finnish man
----

i survived the lake bodom!
15.10.2009 - 00:14
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Wow...this interview was incredibly boring. Not your fault Baz.
----
Brujerizmo!
15.10.2009 - 01:07
Baz Anderson

Written by Konrad on 15.10.2009 at 00:14

Yeh, I don't know what he was expecting from me. He was so not-enthusiastic, he just wouldn't respond to anything I said.
He's just been the cover star of the latest Terrorizer magazine, maybe anything smaller is below him now.

Or maybe it was just a bad day for him. We'll never know.
15.10.2009 - 01:32
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I really don't think it had anything to do with you or metalstorm, even though I don't think he knew what the fuck it was haha. He just looked either tired, or that he hated doing interviews. I promise when I am as famous (or infamous) as him, I'll give metalstorm enthusiastic interviews.
----
Brujerizmo!
15.10.2009 - 05:51
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 15.10.2009 at 01:07

Yeh, I don't know what he was expecting from me. He was so not-enthusiastic, he just wouldn't respond to anything I said.
He's just been the cover star of the latest Terrorizer magazine, maybe anything smaller is below him now.

Well, he looked pretty freaking tired. I would be too if I had just played an hour and 40 minute set. Plus I would be pretty annoyed if I got asked a bunch of questions about a guy who hasn't been in the band for 5 years now. Petri has nothing to do with Wintersun. I think you should have stuck to questions about Ensiferum. The Wintersun questions were asked to satisfy your own personal curiosities. As a journalist it is unprofessional to try and twist an interview the way you want it to get some answer to something that really isn't relevent. Leave your bias out of it.
15.10.2009 - 07:29
wormdrink414

I saw him sipping a frappuccino outside one of Ensiferum's gigs in Portland. That's right, a fucking frappuccino.

Guess there isn't anything wrong with that though. It is a tasty beverage. But when it comes to leading the one-time pagan metal gods, the drink was a little discouraging. He should have been guzzling down mead. But like I said, a frappuccino is a tasty beverage.
What any of this has to do with the interview is still up for debate.
15.10.2009 - 12:43
Baz Anderson

Written by Guest on 15.10.2009 at 05:51

The Wintersun questions were asked to satisfy your own personal curiosities. As a journalist it is unprofessional to try and twist an interview the way you want it to get some answer to something that really isn't relevent. Leave your bias out of it.

Well here you are wrong, you see. I couldn't give a damn about Wintersun, but I know that a LOT of people are interested in them. If you don't ask questions, you don't get answers.
My "biases" had nothing to do with this. I suppose if you were a "journalist", you wouldn't care what your readers wanted to know, and end up with yet another bland interview that doesn't actually tell us anything.
15.10.2009 - 14:00
RyuRan-ENSIFERUM

Poor Baz. But, excellent work getting the interview xD. He was probably getting over a hangover.
15.10.2009 - 17:27
In_tallica

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
15.10.2009 - 20:51
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 15.10.2009 at 12:43

Written by Guest on 15.10.2009 at 05:51

The Wintersun questions were asked to satisfy your own personal curiosities. As a journalist it is unprofessional to try and twist an interview the way you want it to get some answer to something that really isn't relevent. Leave your bias out of it.

Well here you are wrong, you see. I couldn't give a damn about Wintersun, but I know that a LOT of people are interested in them. If you don't ask questions, you don't get answers.
My "biases" had nothing to do with this. I suppose if you were a "journalist", you wouldn't care what your readers wanted to know, and end up with yet another bland interview that doesn't actually tell us anything.

Well, it was poor judgement on your part even asking him about Wintersun. Sure, lots of people would like to know something about Wintersun's current state, but I think the best way to find that out is by asking someone involved in Wintersun. Set up an interview with Jari or Kai. That would make a lot more sense. Petri has nothing to do with that band. And fyi, I am a journalist. I have a degree in it infact.

*edit*

I feel you are biased because as a journalist, you tell how bland the show was, and add your own opinion saying that it seems like Ensiferum did not want to play for us, but you never actually dig to find out if they were just worn out or what. And you thought he have a bad interview but, you never ask him why. Instead you make your own unfounded assertions like: "He's just been the cover star of the latest Terrorizer magazine, maybe anything smaller is below him now." You have no base to say that without actual fact and truth backing it.
15.10.2009 - 21:51
Baz Anderson

Written by Guest on 15.10.2009 at 20:51

Well, it was poor judgement on your part even asking him about Wintersun. Sure, lots of people would like to know something about Wintersun's current state, but I think the best way to find that out is by asking someone involved in Wintersun. Set up an interview with Jari or Kai. That would make a lot more sense. Petri has nothing to do with that band. And fyi, I am a journalist. I have a degree in it infact.

*edit*

I feel you are biased because as a journalist, you tell how bland the show was, and add your own opinion saying that it seems like Ensiferum did not want to play for us, but you never actually dig to find out if they were just worn out or what. And you thought he have a bad interview but, you never ask him why. Instead you make your own unfounded assertions like: "He's just been the cover star of the latest Terrorizer magazine, maybe anything smaller is below him now." You have no base to say that without actual fact and truth backing it.

I really don't know what your problem is. I have a degree in psychology, does that mean I know exactly what you're thinking in every situation? Of course not. You can study something all you like, but you'll never know what it is like to be in specific situations until you are there yourself.

Regarding the review, this interview was conducted before the show (as stated) and so it was not possible to ask if they were tired afterwards. I am sure I do also mention in the review that it could have just been an off day for them. Either way, the band put on a show like they didn't want to be there, I'm not going to tell everyone it was great just because I didn't know why they played like that. Even if a band is tired, that doesn't excuse a bad performance to a paying audience. About my "unfounded assertions", if you'd like to re-visit that post I do say straight after the text you quoted, "Or maybe it was just a bad day for him. We'll never know."

I'm not an idiot, I know there are countless variables that contribute towards how a person's mood is, or how a band's performance is. I find it extremely annoying and insulting when people like you come along and think they know everything. I don't claim to be a "professional", I don't get paid to do this, I even shelled out a lot of my own money for some good quality recording equipment just so I could do this for the website. But what I was, was there, you weren't.

Asking about Wintersun, in hindsight maybe not a good idea. At least though, the whole interview wasn't padded with boring questions tip-toeing around his uninterested mood. It's done now, there's no going back.
15.10.2009 - 22:15
daniel chack

WTF... the man looks like a robot, not a pagan lookin for the blood of his enemi. He mus t be very tired. Ensiferum is a great band.
Thanks Braz for the intreview and the gig rewiew.
16.10.2009 - 15:54
Hamird
Lieutenant
Barry can you do me a favor and give me the links if they're on youtube? Because youtube is blocked here and I must have links to watch them in another way..
16.10.2009 - 15:56
Baz Anderson

Written by Hamird on 16.10.2009 at 15:54

Barry can you do me a favor and give me the links if they're on youtube? Because youtube is blocked here and I must have links to watch them in another way..

Youtube link for this interview is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB71WEFc28M
18.10.2009 - 13:21
insanity.peppers

Wow had no idea he was kicked out of Norther. But I guess they didn't have much of a choice; when you join a band like ensiferum you prob don't have much time for anything else.

Yeah... totally didn't see the point of all those Wintersun questions, especially since Pettri doesn't really have any connection to Jari other than being the guy he replaced. The question about people wanting Jari back was baffling (does anyone really care that much??) and I wouldn't be surprised if he was a little insulted by it.

Other than that, sweet interview.
18.10.2009 - 14:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Baz Anderson on 15.10.2009 at 01:07

maybe he understand werry bed english LOL

But why I didnt heard when you ask quastens, I shood read quastens n hear his ansvers, I liked much better old interwiews where you asked quastens, because its easyer hear n understand ,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.10.2009 - 17:50
Rot N' Troll

Written by FeskarN on 14.10.2009 at 19:32

Nice interview. I'm getting even more worried about Jari now, when Petri didnt answer the question about Wintersun's upcoming album.

I can tell you that Jari still makes ''Time''-album and He does not have the money to publish it. He
told when we were in a Heavy Corner -bar one time
real drunk, and became the talk Wintersun and when "Time" is ready and when
published. He said that he can not afford to publish it yet
----
Vaikka olen kuollut ja kuopattu, niin eipä tunnu missään.
Kannella arkun jo multaa on ja pappi se viskaa vielä lisää.
Ja nyt olen kuollut ja kuopattu vaan eipä tunnu missään.
Vaik' portilla taivaan hiljais
24.10.2009 - 18:34
FeskarN

Written by Rot N' Troll on 24.10.2009 at 17:50

I can tell you that Jari still makes ''Time''-album and He does not have the money to publish it. He
told when we were in a Heavy Corner -bar one time
real drunk, and became the talk Wintersun and when "Time" is ready and when
published. He said that he can not afford to publish it yet

ah, thats it's really sad . The lastest update on their forum Jari wrote that 70 % of the orchestrations was done and vocals were done about 80-85%. And the mixing part will be hell of work with the tools he got. Hope that Nuclear Blast could help him out..
----
04.11.2009 - 13:41
ponderer

Baz, you did a really nice job getting this interview under those conditions. Also, I didn't see any particular question in there that shouldn't have been asked whatsoever. Everything that was asked was responded to; maybe not in as much detail as you had wanted, but he didn't seem standoffish or evasive about anything.

How dense are you people? Petri states clearly in the interview when asked the "enthusiam" question that it's hard because the weather is shit, everyone is feeling like shit and getting sick. Gee, I wonder if you'd like to do some interviews in those conditions?

At no point in this interview did I get the feeling Petri was holier than thou or bored to death. I guess some people on here have difficulty reading other people? I love how having a "degree" in something automatically makes you the authority figure. Bullshit. Baz got the interview, Baz asked the appropriate questions, and at no point was offensive or obtrusive when asking about Wintersun.

bluemobiusx, troll much? You'd think with your big "degree" in that bullshit field you'd at least have some social skills and the ability to read people better. Instead you sound like a 15 year old with a splash of teen angst thrown in for good measure. I'd suggest going back to school and getting a few more degrees before embarrassing yourself online like that again. You sound like an asshole and I'm guessing from the way you trolled this interview YOU ARE ONE.

Again, well done Baz!
05.11.2009 - 14:51
Warman
Erotic Stains
Yes, I'll buy the album. Yes, I'll see a show. It's just up to you guys, to visit the country right next to you! Damn, I've been bitching about this for years now.
----
07.11.2009 - 07:41
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Written by wormdrink414 on 15.10.2009 at 07:29

I saw him sipping a frappuccino outside one of Ensiferum's gigs in Portland. That's right, a fucking frappuccino.

Guess there isn't anything wrong with that though. It is a tasty beverage. But when it comes to leading the one-time pagan metal gods, the drink was a little discouraging. He should have been guzzling down mead. But like I said, a frappuccino is a tasty beverage.
What any of this has to do with the interview is still up for debate.

frappuccino !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "it is a tasty beverage" man I wish I could have been there to see that, one of the funniest things I´ve heard you´re right though we have a certain image of him, and there je is with his Latte´s and shit Nah he seems like a cool guy, and i thought the interview was an interview I didn´t expect any wild ridiculous antics, pr over the top shit from Petri or baz it was what it was, your shit was hilarious though made my day, Fucking images we have of people huh? (mead not frappuccino)
11.11.2009 - 11:02
Overlord_PT

Nice interview
15.11.2009 - 21:51
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor

seriously i have read all the updates on the wintersun site and it seems like hes having a lot of bad luck with the new album. whats it gonna be? like the 5th 6th year hes been working on it? ironic its gonna be called Time.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
15.11.2009 - 22:19
FeskarN

Written by AngelofDeth on 15.11.2009 at 21:51

seriously i have read all the updates on the wintersun site and it seems like hes having a lot of bad luck with the new album. whats it gonna be? like the 5th 6th year hes been working on it? ironic its gonna be called Time.

I check Wintersun's forum more or less everyday but the last update Jari made was in the end of August. There he said that around 70% of the orchestrations was done and vocals 80-85%. And the mixing will be hell of a work for him too with all those tracks. But I think Jari will make next update when the whole album is done or start to mix the album. It will be a blast when it come out for sure!
----
16.11.2009 - 03:12
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Yea i cant wait, its gonna be one of the best albums ever i think. I was excited when he said that he was going to add the orchestra to it instead of keyboards i love when metal and orchestra come together. its gonna be Epic
----
pewpew.. gotcha
22.11.2009 - 07:46
Asatru

I love Petri. I think he's kicking ass and has more than made his mark in Ensiferum.

I just saw Ensiferum in San Francisco CA. 11-19-09. What a show! Band was in top form and seemed to really be enjoying themselves. Great set list too.

What surprised me the most about this show is how well received the 'From Afar' heavy setlist was. Personally, I love From Afar. I never expected to say this but I think it is a stronger album than Victory Songs. Musically more diverse and interesting to me (and I love Victory Songs!). Anyway, every track played from Afar was well known by this audience and combined with some classic Ensiferum this show went down as one of the best I've seen in recent memory.
08.12.2009 - 08:12
ImNotMetal

Is there any text versions of this interview?
My english is not good enough

Hits total: 10262 | This month: 7