07. Henchmen Ride
08. Killing Season
09. Afterlife
10. F.E.A.R.
11. Leave Me Forever

Disc II [Special Edition DVD]
+ The Making of "The Formation Of Damnation"
+ Photo Gallery

Testament is the biggest band to emerge form the second wave of thrash metal in the mid 80's and is also perhaps the only band from that wave still making superb music for its dedicated fans. Testament is the only band that I know that's still making convincing thrash metal not to mention that they are also a Semi-Death Metal band. I say so because they are perhaps the only band that I know (apart from Trivium) that combines death and thrash metal elements to near-perfect harmony(although Trivium are not yet that good at it).

I have to admit that I have only recently been a full-fledged fan of Testament(after listening to The Formation of Damnation). But I am kind of regretting it as I feel I should have been a fan much earlier. The Gathering is widely regarded to be the best album of the group along with with Practice what you Preach. But I would say that The Formation of Damnation is the best of the lot and I will elaborate it for you.

The band have been on a break for quite some due to the lead vocalist suffering from cancer from which he has now recovered. The present line-up comprises the original classic line-up barring the drums whose territory is occupied by the great Paul Bostaph (formerly of Forbidden and Slayer).

The album opens with the instrumental "For the Glory Of..." and what a piece of guitar work that is. I love the superb lead and rhythm guitar connection between Alex Skolnick and Eric Peterson. I personally consider their tandem guitar play to be amongst the very best in contemporary metal (and not just thrash metal). All the tracks are recommended for a budding guitarist to listen to. If Alex Skolnick is a world-class guitar virtuoso and shredder, then Eric Peterson is also an equally great rhythmist (both of them were ranked number 13 and 36 respectively in a recently released book on Metal guitarists by Joel Mciver). Drummer Paul Bostaph has done a great job behind the drum-kit all the songs barring the intro one. It is kind of strange and amazing that Paul Bostaph has been chosen to replace Dave Lombardo in a band on two successive occasions. The earlier with Slayer and the present one with Testament following the classic The Gathering which had Dave Lombardo on drums. Chuck Billy has done a great job handling the vocals. I think he is a master at combining the classic thrash style and the death grunts. All the band members have done their bit to make this album a great one.

The production is first-class. No complaints about that. All of the tracks are worth listening. Special attention should, nevertheless, be paid to "The Evil has Landed" as it is based on the tragic terror attacks of 9/11.

This album is a classic one. It would have deserved the title of the best metal album of 2008 along with Opeth's Watershed. Nevertheless it received the title of the best thrash release of 2008.

We are testament to this great band called Testament.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Hermann Langke | 17.10.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
Nine years has passed since these legends of thrash metal last released a studio album, and so after an undeniably long wait Testament return in glorious form with "The Formation Of Damnation", picking up where "The Gathering" left off almost a century ago. The album has the Testament stamp all over it, this is thrash metal like Testament always deliver with both more melodic and modern elements as well as a slight peek back to how things were done in the late-eighties.

Read more ››
published 22.04.2008 | Comments (47)

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 59   Visited by: 134 users
18.11.2009 - 12:22
Storm Rider

I agree that Testament is a pure thrash metal band (I'm not doubt it) but take a look what's Wikipedia say it on their article about Testament band....here one of they statement : (.....The sound of the album was largely a combination of death metal, thrash metal, and a minor black metal influence from...) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testament_(band).

Happy good day all.
18.11.2009 - 12:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Storm Rider on 18.11.2009 at 12:22

I agree that Testament is a pure thrash metal band (I'm not doubt it) but take a look what's Wikipedia say it on their article about Testament band....here one of they statement : (.....The sound of the album was largely a combination of death metal, thrash metal, and a minor black metal influence from...) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testament_(band).

Happy good day all.

And that's just living prove never to trust Wikipedia. Especially when it comes to things concerning genre descriptions. Testament having a minor black metal influence, well, that's just hilarious. Some very very very very slight death metal I can hear if I am really straining, but black metal?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.11.2009 - 16:07
Rating: 10
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.11.2009 at 12:40

Happy good day all.

And that's just living prove never to trust Wikipedia. Especially when it comes to things concerning genre descriptions. Testament having a minor black metal influence, well, that's just hilarious. Some very very very very slight death metal I can hear if I am really straining, but black metal?

This is ridiculous.I thought I was wrong,apparently,when others said that Testament are nowhere Death Metal,but it seems wikipedia has outdone me.Kudos.
18.11.2009 - 17:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Hermann Langke on 18.11.2009 at 16:07

This is ridiculous.I thought I was wrong,apparently,when others said that Testament are nowhere Death Metal,but it seems wikipedia has outdone me.Kudos.

Read what I said. I said NEVER trust Wikipedia. And Testament are thrash. There is only one album where one could hear very very very very very very tiny death influence and that is on the vocals, that's it. And since vocals don't make a genre they are NOT death metal.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.11.2009 - 22:20
BrightNight

Amen to that....Testament is to me the best example of Thrash metal in its purest form. Why i can see that some people hear a bit of death metal in it i explained above....but what i wanted to ask you , Marcel, which album of testament do you hear some very very very very slight death metal in? (that is if you are really straining ).

Btw....wikipedia is a nice source for general knowledge...but dont trust everything on it. Cause Testament is as much black metal as Dragon Force is doom metal.
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
18.11.2009 - 22:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BrightNight on 18.11.2009 at 22:20

...Marcel, which album of testament do you hear some very very very very slight death metal in? (that is if you are really straining ).

I gotta chack at home but it was either Demonic or The Gathering. But like I said that was really straiing it and having a lot of willing suspense of disbelief
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.11.2009 - 03:48
Storm Rider

If you don't trust to wikipedia, fine. Then you better believe to the other, like :

http://heavymetal.about.com/od/cdreviews/fr/testamentgather.htm
?.Billy's vocals are also improved. He shows a lot more range and diversity than on the previous album and showcases everything from melodic singing to aggressive yells to death metal growls?..

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/band/Testament
?.The band's follow-up album,..... took a new approach, and found Testament experimenting with death metal?.

Happy good time..!!
19.11.2009 - 09:09
Rating: 8
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Storm Rider on 19.11.2009 at 03:48

If you don't trust to wikipedia, fine. Then you better believe to the other, like :

?.Billy's vocals are also improved. He shows a lot more range and diversity than on the previous album and showcases everything from melodic singing to aggressive yells to death metal growls?..

?.The band's follow-up album,..... took a new approach, and found Testament experimenting with death metal?.

Happy good time..!!

As I (and other people) said before, utilizing "death metal vocals" doesn't make a band be a half-death-metal band. So if you are saying Testament are death/thrash, they are not. There must be death metal in the music for that. Sadus, for instance, do (or did) that. Listen to their album Illusions and compare it to Testament's Demonic.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
19.11.2009 - 14:14
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.11.2009 at 17:28

Read what I said. I said NEVER trust Wikipedia. And Testament are thrash. There is only one album where one could hear very very very very very very tiny death influence and that is on the vocals, that's it. And since vocals don't make a genre they are NOT death metal.

Agreed with you.I feel they are Death Metal and Thrash Metal.Btw did you attend their "Live in Eindhoven" show?It was in '87 I think.Take Care.
19.11.2009 - 14:16
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by K✞ulu on 19.11.2009 at 09:09

Happy good time..!!

As I (and other people) said before, utilizing "death metal vocals" doesn't make a band be a half-death-metal band. So if you are saying Testament are death/thrash, they are not. There must be death metal in the music for that. Sadus, for instance, do (or did) that. Listen to their album Illusions and compare it to Testament's Demonic.

Sadus are Thrash Metal.I think.
19.11.2009 - 14:31
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Hermann Langke on 19.11.2009 at 14:16

Happy good time..!!

Well, if Sadus are Thrash Metal, then Testament definitely are.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

19.11.2009 - 14:33
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by K✞ulu on 19.11.2009 at 14:31

Written by Hermann Langke on 19.11.2009 at 14:16

Happy good time..!!

Well, if Sadus are Thrash Metal, then Testament definitely are.

No they are not?
19.11.2009 - 14:40
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
What? OK, I think I am done discussing this.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

19.11.2009 - 14:43
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by K✞ulu on 19.11.2009 at 14:40

What? OK, I think I am done discussing this.

Okay fine.Thank You.Btw did you like my review?
19.11.2009 - 18:21
BrightNight

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.11.2009 at 22:24

Written by BrightNight on 18.11.2009 at 22:20

...Marcel, which album of testament do you hear some very very very very slight death metal in? (that is if you are really straining ).

I gotta chack at home but it was either Demonic or The Gathering. But like I said that was really straiing it and having a lot of willing suspense of disbelief

Demonic sounds indeed harsher so...yeah. I can feel your straining
----
19.11.2009 - 18:25
BrightNight

Written by Hermann Langke on 19.11.2009 at 14:14

Agreed with you.I feel they are Death Metal and Thrash Metal.Btw did you attend their "Live in Eindhoven" show?It was in '87 I think.Take Care.

Eindhoven is a city very near to mine....unfortunately i was only 2 years old in 1987...so that would be the only reason i was not there at the time.

But to make it up, i attended Dynamo Eindhoven club this year where Testament did the same gig over. For the good memories of 1987 according to the band , playing The Legacy and The New Order completely! I was one of the best gigs ever for me.
----
20.11.2009 - 04:41
Storm Rider

I think everyone was right. What's Nibir said or Ktulu said or anyone said in this forum was right. Depend on your own perception about this band (Testament), you all have your right for your statement but one thing that I'm gonna tell you that Testament full pack with many old man (veteran) but until now they can play as a hard & deep as the death metal genre.
20.11.2009 - 10:44
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by BrightNight on 19.11.2009 at 18:25

Eindhoven is a city very near to mine....unfortunately i was only 2 years old in 1987...so that would be the only reason i was not there at the time.

But to make it up, i attended Dynamo Eindhoven club this year where Testament did the same gig over. For the good memories of 1987 according to the band , playing The Legacy and The New Order completely! I was one of the best gigs ever for me.

There is another festival called "Fields of Rock" .Did you attend it?
20.11.2009 - 11:15
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.11.2009 at 12:40

Happy good day all.

Hey did you attend the Testament "Live in Eindhoven" show in 1987?Take care.
20.11.2009 - 17:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Hermann Langke on 20.11.2009 at 11:15

Tha show was part of Dynamo Open Air 1987. It rained all day. Other bands that played that day were Destruction, Atomkraft, Mad Max, Stryper and Vengeance. The festival was free of charge and on the parking lot next to the Dynamo club (which has been totally rebuilt a couple of years ago into a much bigger club)
Yes, I was there.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.11.2009 - 09:21
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.11.2009 at 17:20

Written by Hermann Langke on 20.11.2009 at 11:15

Tha show was part of Dynamo Open Air 1987. It rained all day. Other bands that played that day were Destruction, Atomkraft, Mad Max, Stryper and Vengeance. The festival was free of charge and on the parking lot next to the Dynamo club (which has been totally rebuilt a couple of years ago into a much bigger club)
Yes, I was there.

It wasn't an independent Testament show?Anyways how was their performance?I think Skolnick and Peterson were very young then.
21.11.2009 - 15:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Hermann Langke on 21.11.2009 at 09:21

It wasn't an independent Testament show?Anyways how was their performance?

No it wasn't. It was part of an outdoor festival. Quite a few bands have released min-albums form their show at an Dynamo Open Air festival, also Sacred Reich and Gorefest for example)
Testament were the best band by far that day for me.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.11.2009 - 10:31
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.11.2009 at 15:51

Written by Hermann Langke on 21.11.2009 at 09:21

It wasn't an independent Testament show?Anyways how was their performance?

No it wasn't. It was part of an outdoor festival. Quite a few bands have released min-albums form their show at an Dynamo Open Air festival, also Sacred Reich and Gorefest for example)
Testament were the best band by far that day for me.

There is another festival called "Fields of Rock" .Have you been there?I think it is held in Nijemegen.Please correct me if I am wrong.And is Dynamo Open Air the oldest Metal Festival in Europe?
22.11.2009 - 14:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Hermann Langke on 22.11.2009 at 10:31

There is another festival called "Fields of Rock" .Have you been there?I think it is held in Nijemegen.Please correct me if I am wrong.And is Dynamo Open Air the oldest Metal Festival in Europe?

Fields of Rock was in Nijmegen that's correct, but I have never been there because I didn't like the line-up.

I think Donnington is older than Dynamo Open Air. But for the sort of festival Dynamo Open Air was it was the first (probably in the world). So they were the first to ONLY programme smaller bands and no really big names. After a couple of editions when it was proven to be a huge success Wacken copied the formula and more of such festivals popped up all over the place.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.11.2009 - 04:49
Storm Rider

Testament, Slayer & Megadeth will tour together in US (3 Musketeers), who's gonna see them? It must be AMAZING...
23.11.2009 - 05:37
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
mmm...i'll be seeing them but not in the states...in Mont Royal
23.11.2009 - 06:10
Storm Rider

Great....hope you wanna review their concert to this forum ya
24.11.2009 - 01:31
BrightNight

Written by Hermann Langke on 20.11.2009 at 10:44

Written by BrightNight on 19.11.2009 at 18:25

There is another festival called "Fields of Rock" .Did you attend it?

Yes ive been to Fields of Rock....use to have some pretty good lineups!
----
27.11.2009 - 15:55
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.11.2009 at 14:10

Written by Hermann Langke on 22.11.2009 at 10:31

Fields of Rock was in Nijmegen that's correct, but I have never been there because I didn't like the line-up.

I think Donnington is older than Dynamo Open Air. But for the sort of festival Dynamo Open Air was it was the first (probably in the world). So they were the first to ONLY programme smaller bands and no really big names. After a couple of editions when it was proven to be a huge success Wacken copied the formula and more of such festivals popped up all over the place.

I see.So Dynamo is a pioneer.

Hits total: 6569 | This month: 10