Metal Storm logo
Opeth - Members Involved In Suicide Bus Crash

Earlier this week, Opeth's tour bus crashed into another car that made an unexpected U-turn in the middle of the highway as the band (minus Åkerfeldt, Axenrot, Äkesson who had flown home to Sweden) and their crew were on the way to Brussels/Belgium. Nobody in the band or crew got hurt, but apparently the driver of the other car got critically injured (and passed away later). Opeth will go ahead and play the Brussels date on the 17th as well as the remaining shows of the Progressive nation tour.

Guitarist/vocalist Mikael Åkerfeldt has issued the following: "Myself, Axe, Fredrik and our soundman, Pontus Norgren decided to fly home to our families for a few days as the option would have been three days off in Brussels. Now I hear that our bus apparently crashed into this other car making a unexpected U-turn in the middle of the highway. Mendez [bassist] and Per [keyboards] were on the bus together with the rest of our crew but nobody got hurt. They are however shocked and very shaken of course. The driver in the other car was critically injured. I've not heard back from anyone yet regarding his progress but apparently it's not looking very good. Hoping for the best however.

I don't know where or when this happened but I know the bus was heading from Dublin to Brussels. I'll let you know more as soon as I get some information, but as for now everyone in the band are safe and same with our crew. As far as I know the only injured person was the driver of the other car, which obviously is horrible enough! To be honest, I rarely think about things, accidents like this, but fuck man, it happens! My mind's all over the place and right now I don't want to go back out. But... the show in Brussels on the 17th and the remaining part of the tour will go ahead as planned."

But now it appears that the Opeth bus accident was actually the result of a suicide: their tour bus crashed into a driver aiming to take his own life. Mikael Åkerfeldt explains: "I just got a text from [Martin] Mendez who says that the driver of the other car (who made the U-turn) that our bus crashed into, sadly passed away from his injuries. On top of that it seems as if it was a deliberate death-stunt from his side as the police had found a suicide-letter in the car-wreck.

This is just getting more odd and scary, I tell ya. I've no idea who he was but I have to say our condoleances goes out to his family and loved ones anyways either though we don't have a name at this point. I'm kinda lost for words here."

Source: opeth.com
Band profile: Opeth
Posted: 17.10.2009 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 37   Visited by: 495 users
17.10.2009 - 18:25
Elio
Red Nightmare
Damn, this is a pretty much fucked up story, I hope the guys will recover from the shock asap. COndoleances to the family.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
17.10.2009 - 18:31
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Damn... I can't imagine who the band feels. I would probably not sleep for days knowing that.

Condoleances to the family as well.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.10.2009 - 18:41
Rupert
W00t go unexpected U turns!
17.10.2009 - 18:52
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
I was scared to read this article after looking at that headline... glad to hear everyone is alright and one moron got what they wanted.
17.10.2009 - 19:12
Dark Seraphim
My condolences to the family of the dead man but it does sound like it would make a story for a song. It wouldn't be the first time tragic events have been turned into a great song, great because it has a real meaning behind it.
17.10.2009 - 19:51
dEAthB3D
Well, accidents happened
----
the ultimate use of treason is the treacherous use of reason
17.10.2009 - 19:55
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
If i were that guy i would hit a rock or something not another vehicle!
I was involved in a car accident last year, know how it feels. The memory won't leave you alone for some time. Although It was not my fault, the other driver took a sudden turn, fortunately he was not hurt...
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
17.10.2009 - 20:15
InnerSelf
proofread free
I was truely afraid before reading the news , but now that I know no one was hurt it feels better
May that poor man rest in peace
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
17.10.2009 - 20:35
JosipS
Stuff like this makes me angry, if you want to take ypur own life thats fine with me but dont try and drag innocent peoples lives with you.
17.10.2009 - 20:41
Odium
Written by JosipS on 17.10.2009 at 20:35

Stuff like this makes me angry, if you want to take ypur own life thats fine with me but dont try and drag innocent peoples lives with you.

+1
17.10.2009 - 20:43
FRIENDSHIP
Written by Odium on 17.10.2009 at 20:41

Written by JosipS on 17.10.2009 at 20:35

I know; I'm getting mad that bands I like are having their buses victimized. First Decapitated. Now Opeth. It's frustrating.

+1
----
Keeping up the killing,

Dylan
17.10.2009 - 21:13
Thryce
Retired Staff
elite
Why am I always the one suggesting a SUICIDE ATTACK? A failed one, sure, but still...

Anyway, Opeth one, u-turning jackass zero.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
17.10.2009 - 21:51
Opethian
Damn, the title for this article almost made me crap my pants .. :
17.10.2009 - 22:08
Symmachus
Holy crap. I'm glad that the band and their crew are okay. I give condolences to the unknown man's family as well, but that was very pathetic of him to u-turn into a bus and try to commit suicide like that. Blimey.
17.10.2009 - 23:04
TheBigRossowski
That's a bummer man.

Agreed with some statements above mine. Why try to take other lives as well? That's something only weak people do to be remembered for something.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
18.10.2009 - 00:22
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Fucking heavy. good thing no one got hurt and that poor soul that ran into them is free from his turmoil.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
18.10.2009 - 01:02
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by dEAthB3D on 17.10.2009 at 19:51

Well, accidents happened

-noun
1. an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap: automobile accidents.

Not exactly what I'd call an accident...
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.10.2009 - 01:55
tulkas
el parcero
Well, at least the ones involved got what they wanted. The band members are ok, no problems there (besides the mind-fuck), and the suicide guy died.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
18.10.2009 - 04:30
Any indication he knew it was Opeth's bus, or just the first bus or truck he found?

This is a tragic situation.
----
'We entered Winter once again...The sun sets forever over Blackwater park'
18.10.2009 - 07:48
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Well, I'm glad that everyone is ok Well, with the exceptcion of that poor guy.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
18.10.2009 - 09:14
Fat & Sassy!
elite
What an unexciting way to go out. The least this guy could have done is make his suicide attempt more exciting. Taking your own life is selfish enough... You don't need to get other people hurt too. What a fucking dick. D:<
18.10.2009 - 09:23
INÆRIS
The second I caught a glimpse of the headline, my heart stopped dead in its tracks. I'm soooooo glad Opeth are okay. If anything ever happened to Mikael Akerfeldt, I don't know what I would do. He's my hero. Everything I've ever loved in music I owe to him.

It's so weird that the guy had to crash into Opeth's bus. My condolences to his folks. Geez, what a mess. I hope the band isn't too traumatized.
----
Still Life, Still Death
18.10.2009 - 10:16
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
I know this is crazy, but I was worried that they wouldn't play here next week because of this. I'm glad to know they will.

Life's crazy, what can you do.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.10.2009 - 11:48
Kingface
Wow, that's some crazy stuff and not in a good way. Really glad to hear that the band and crew are ok.
18.10.2009 - 16:34
Hamird
Lieutenant
I'm wondering how stupid that suicide guy was.. He could chose hundreds of ways to kill himself. How he decided to do a suicide that he wasn't sure if he would die there or heavily injured?
18.10.2009 - 20:32
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Hamird on 18.10.2009 at 16:34

I'm wondering how stupid that suicide guy was.. He could chose hundreds of ways to kill himself. How he decided to do a suicide that he wasn't sure if he would die there or heavily injured?

Yeah, well, at least he got what he wanted, I'm sure wherever he is though, he's full of regret. Youshouldn't endanger other lives when you feel the need to take your own. I'm happy everyone in opeth is okay though. When I read the title of this article, I was like "HOLY SHIT! Please them be okay." it was a little bit scary.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
18.10.2009 - 23:08
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 18.10.2009 at 20:32

Yeah, well, at least he got what he wanted, I'm sure wherever he is though, he's full of regret.

When I go to hell, I'll make sure to beat the shit outta of every ignorant fuck like this... for the sake of all of us. >:[
19.10.2009 - 11:55
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
If i'm gonna pull the plug it sure ain't gonna be by making a u-e in front of a bus
----
rekt
19.10.2009 - 13:05
Warman
Erotic Stains
The metal world close to yet another tragedy this month.
----
19.10.2009 - 22:04
In_tallica
Lol imagine if mikael had died.... opeth split up + like 500 people comitting suicide worldwide XD.

Hits total: 10276 | This month: 8