Metal Storm logo
Doom is/isnt an extreme metal genre

Original post

Posted by , 17.10.2009 - 21:31
Yes its true! doom metal is an extreme and its not an extreme genre, but when someone asks you suddenly, you answer its or its not? thats why I didnt put both.

for me its an extereme metal genre cause it sounds like Death Doom for me always! lol vote!!!!!!!

Poll

whats your opinion? commonly its extreme or not?

I dont care!
No
Yeah

Total votes: 151
09.05.2012 - 16:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by bran on 09.05.2012 at 09:48
didnt know fairyland was an entire genre of music.

Power metal is an entire genre of music, and my point still stands. I know people have different opinions, but I'm asking you what you think of "happy" music with an extreme message.

If a band sings about suicide (extreme topic) do you honestly feel as though, say... high-pitched and/or falsetto vocals, mid-paced clean melodic guitar riffs, simplistic rock'n'roll drum patterns and a cheesy synth creating an uplifting, vibrant atmosphere make for an extreme listen?

Because, in my opinion, even though Cannibal Corpse are a straightforward and simplified death metal band, they can sing about puppies and love and their sound would easily be more extreme than any power metal band.

Doom obviously has more ties to darkness and sorrow and all that jazz, so it's safe to say the lyrical themes are usually more extreme in nature, but the music itself is usually far from it (not speaking about death doom and funeral doom, of course).
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.05.2012 - 04:33
bran

Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.05.2012 at 16:24

Written by bran on 09.05.2012 at 09:48
didnt know fairyland was an entire genre of music.

Power metal is an entire genre of music, and my point still stands. I know people have different opinions, but I'm asking you what you think of "happy" music with an extreme message.

If a band sings about suicide (extreme topic) do you honestly feel as though, say... high-pitched and/or falsetto vocals, mid-paced clean melodic guitar riffs, simplistic rock'n'roll drum patterns and a cheesy synth creating an uplifting, vibrant atmosphere make for an extreme listen?

Because, in my opinion, even though Cannibal Corpse are a straightforward and simplified death metal band, they can sing about puppies and love and their sound would easily be more extreme than any power metal band.

Doom obviously has more ties to darkness and sorrow and all that jazz, so it's safe to say the lyrical themes are usually more extreme in nature, but the music itself is usually far from it (not speaking about death doom and funeral doom, of course).

i can see your point in a lot of ways. for instance look at children of bodom, i have seen them labeled extreme power metal, melodic death metal etc are all thrash bands extreme since thrash is considered an extreme genre? artillery doesnt seem to extreme neither does megadeth.

funeral doom can be considered extreme.

i am not really disagreeing with you its just the whole "extreme" tag is very broad IMO
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
10.05.2012 - 06:23
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
All I know is Arcana Coelestia is some of the most evil (extreme?) stuff I've ever heard.
----
rekt
10.05.2012 - 06:25
Void Eater
Account deleted
Depends on the band. Some doom is, some doom isn't. Similar to thrash-Metal Church isn't extreme in the slightest, but Dark Angel sure is. Similarly, Candlemass isn't extreme, but Wormphlegm sure is.
13.05.2012 - 04:21
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Guest on 10.05.2012 at 06:25

Depends on the band. Some doom is, some doom isn't. Similar to thrash-Metal Church isn't extreme in the slightest, but Dark Angel sure is. Similarly, Candlemass isn't extreme, but Wormphlegm sure is.

Completly agree. Thorr's Hammer=extreme. Candlemass=not extreme.
Slayer are the only one of the big 4 of thrash that were extreme.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
13.05.2012 - 06:08
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.05.2012 at 16:24

and all that jazz

You've been reading too many of my posts
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.05.2012 - 06:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Boxcar Willy on 13.05.2012 at 06:08

What?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.05.2012 - 06:16
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.05.2012 at 06:14

Written by Boxcar Willy on 13.05.2012 at 06:08

What?

"And all that jazz" is one of my sayings
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.05.2012 - 06:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Boxcar Willy on 13.05.2012 at 06:16

Not sure if serious... but you should know that you definitely didn't invent that saying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_That_Jazz_(song)
----
13.05.2012 - 06:46
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.05.2012 at 06:21

Written by Boxcar Willy on 13.05.2012 at 06:16

Not sure if serious... but you should know that you definitely didn't invent that saying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_That_Jazz_(song)

I'm not saying I invented it, but I sure use it a lot anyway back on topic.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.05.2012 - 08:23
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Like I voted, who cares? It's an awesome genre. Nuff said.
13.05.2012 - 23:25
IronAngel

Dear topic: DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE!

This is quite possibly the single most stupid active topic on Metal Storm. But since it's obviously not going to die on its own, I might as well post.

As far as what constitutes "extreme metal", it's quite a commonsensical, established term to describe some core genres. You can't examine the meaning of the word "extreme" and come up with your own idea, because that would lead to endless contextualism: an extremity is something at the extremes, the edges, of the body from which you judge. Fingers are extremities because they're at the far extremes of your body. From the point of view of extreme metal, extreme metal isn't extreme. Instead, twee pop or bluegrass can appear extreme, as it's located on the far extremes of your musical universe.

So yeah, "extreme" means different things to different people (or rather, from different perspectives), but that clearly doesn't help us here. We all know what "extreme metal" as a vague generic classification is, so arguing about depressive lyrics or how Cannibal Corpse doesn't sound extreme to a veteran metalhead is pretty pointless.
14.05.2012 - 00:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by IronAngel on 13.05.2012 at 23:25
The fun of reading dumb shit in forums.

You are killing it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.05.2012 - 00:14
IronAngel

There's nothing more nauseating, depressing, morally reprehensible and physically painful than a person who is wrong. Especially on the internet. People with poor reasoning should be put on a concentration camp, along with those people who don't correct said reasoning!
14.05.2012 - 00:21
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by IronAngel on 14.05.2012 at 00:14
There's nothing more nauseating, depressing, morally reprehensible and physically painful than a person who is wrong.

Oh yeah, we definitely have different opinion on what is funny about this world we live in.

What I find kind of funny is that you say "especially on the internet" while I actually couldn't give a damn about what happens on the internet if my life depended on it because... well, it's the internet. I don't take it seriously... If shit like this goes down IRL I react according to what I think is appropiate. I don't waste my mental heath caring for shit on a computer screen.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.05.2012 - 00:49
IronAngel

I find this funny. Because tone clearly does not transmit through italics, exclamation marks and concentration camps. :

On a serious note, for a change, this is a discussion forum. The whole point of a discussion is to argue your point with superior eloquence to make as many people as possible agree that you are right. That's fun, that's entertainment. (I admit it may not be funny, though.) Crass stupidity can be entertaining for a while, but soon it gets old like an American sitcom. People who make inane one-liners in bad English give cheap laughs. Would-be intellectuals who will argue back, like that Yasmine chick from a year ago, are the ones who give the good, satisfying laughs. Ultimately though, even the best of laughs pales in comparison to a good argument.
14.05.2012 - 02:56
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by IronAngel on 14.05.2012 at 00:49
On a serious note, for a change, this is a discussion forum.

The problem is that this thread got a response in like... I dunno, the second post? It's a question that could have been asked in another thread. All the answers I've read here are pretty much the same: "Depends on the kind of doom". The fact this thread is still open is as surprising to me as it is to you.
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.05.2012 - 02:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I caught the irony and satire... but i downloaded and app for that.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.05.2012 - 11:07
Infernal Eternal

Who cares? Doom is boring.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
26.05.2012 - 15:29
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Infernal Eternal on 26.05.2012 at 11:07

Quick delete your post before Marcel sees it!

(Also, I don't know a whole lot about this genre, but it seems pretty kick ass to me)
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
26.05.2012 - 15:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Boxcar Willy on 26.05.2012 at 15:29

(Also, I don't know a whole lot about this genre, but it seems pretty kick ass to me)

I already saw it hours ago and I can only laugh at such ignorance especially when it comes from soeone who has Manowar amongst his favourite bands
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.05.2012 - 15:33
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.05.2012 at 15:32

I already saw it hours ago and I can only laugh at such ignorance especially when it comes from soeone who has Manowar amongst his favourite bands

True that brother... *cough* Of steel *cough*
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
26.05.2012 - 18:54
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 14.05.2012 at 00:49

The whole point of a discussion is to argue your point with superior eloquence to make as many people as possible agree that you are right.

Sorry, the only people on this site who can be right are BitterCOld and Troy.

...And perhaps Marcel.
26.05.2012 - 20:10
Infernal Eternal

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.05.2012 at 15:32

Old Manowar songs are good.
----
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
27.05.2012 - 00:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Infernal Eternal on 26.05.2012 at 20:10

Personally I think even the best Manowar song doesn't top the worst doom metal song.
----
27.05.2012 - 01:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 26.05.2012 at 18:54
Sorry, the only people on this site who can be right are BitterCOld and Troy. ...And perhaps Marcel.

When all three of us disagree the server explodes.
----
27.05.2012 - 12:46
Infernal Eternal

Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.05.2012 at 00:54

Written by Infernal Eternal on 26.05.2012 at 20:10

Personally I think even the best Manowar song doesn't top the worst doom metal song.

THat's your opinion and I respect it but I don't agree with you. It's true that Manowar nowadays sing about their being the true metal warriors but the older songs, especially from the first four albums, are more than decent.
----
08.10.2012 - 00:26
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I personally think doom metal can be an extreme metal genre, it just depends on which band plays it. If it's something like Candlemass or Black Sabbath, then no not really. But if it's a band like Evoken or Saturnus that has death metal influences, then yes it can be extreme.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
26.11.2012 - 05:04
nasmith

To me, extreme vocals or extremely slow pace make it extreme, but trad doom and epic doom really aren't that extreme. Basically, it's gotta be kvlt. I'd say the most extreme doom would be drone and torture doom (if you even consider "torture doom" separate from funeral doom).

EDIT: Page claimed. And I like how over a third of the voters don't care XD
30.11.2012 - 01:17
FOOCK Nam

Written by tea[m]ster on 10.05.2012 at 06:23

All I know is Arcana Coelestia is some of the most evil (extreme?) stuff I've ever heard.

Nice band thanks I love their music, would digging more