06. Non-Human Era
07. Dark Matter Dimensions
08. Sculptor Void
09. A Parenthesis In Eternity
10. Frequency-Shifter
11. Radiant Strain
12. Pariah [limited Digipak bonus]
13. The Consciousness Eaters [edit version] [Japanese bonus]

Throughout the history of Rock there have many bands that have lost their amazing lead vocalist and replaced him (or her) while continuing to be successful. Van Halen did it. AC/DC did it. Genesis did it. Black Sabbath did it. Can Scar Symmetry do it?

Last year Christian Älvestam left the popular Swedish band due to creative differences. I cried for days because of that. OK, I didn't really cry, but I was saddened by that fact. While Scar Symmetry's music was above average Gothenburg Metal, it was Älvestam's vocals that I went crazy for. His modern guttural growl was juxtaposed with his soaring classic Heavy Metal voice. What more, the vocal melodies he wrote were really solid and memorable.

So getting back to my original question: Can Scar Symmetry make another solid album after losing it's fantastic vocalist. Sadly the answer is 'no'. I really hate to say it, but this is just a bad album. Christian Älvestam has been replaced by not one but two vocalists, who each have their own parts (growls and clean vocals). Is it me, or does that just seem really pathetic? Could Scar Symmetry not find a vocalist who could do both? What is worst is that Älvestam was better at both singing and growling than either of these guys.

On top of all of that, the music is boring. The great catchy melodies that used to fill their past records are gone. We're now left with an empty shell of what the band used to be, and it sounds that way; hollow. The drummer comes across as a uninspiring Mike Portnoy wannabe and the guitarists just rehash the same old rifts we've heard for years. The songs all follow the same basic formula that has been done a hundred times in Gothenburg Metal and not a single one sticks out. What more, the album is so over produced I thought I was listening to Static-X.

This is without a doubt the biggest let down of the year. I really wish I could find something positive to say about this album but I just can't. If this is your first introduction to the band, I feel sorry for you. If your a fan of their other work, I wouldn't even recommend this. Where their past albums had the feel of an over the top 80's action film, this is the cheesy comedy follow up.

Written on 20.10.2009 by Dane hails from Asheville, NC which is Beer City, USA. When he is not drinking various craft and micro brews, Dane fronts the Stoner Doom Metal band, The Quick. He also has a massive collection of Hellboy comic books.

Guest review by
Aebsi
Rating:
We all know Älvestam has departed and was a big part of the Scar Symmetry overall trademark sound (like it should be with all vocalists). Two vocalists Robert Karlsson and Lars Palmqvist have filled in the vacant spot. The last SS album wasn't great but it wasn't that bad either and even a slight disappointment when compared to the one before.

Read more ››
published 14.04.2010 | Comments (5)

Comments page 3 / 3

Comments: 89   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 415 users
21.10.2009 - 22:54
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.10.2009 at 22:48

To be honest I'd rather have people hate me for my views than be totally indifferent to them.

I'd be afraid of some of these folk though. I mean, they stalk you enough to know your music tastes when they supposedly don't like you! :O! If I were them, I would totally ignore all your posts if I didn't like you. That's what I do to a select couple of people. I'm like, "Really? STFU. >:[" Then I just scroll past their posts. XP
21.10.2009 - 22:55
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Guest on 21.10.2009 at 22:52

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 21.10.2009 at 22:27

Good god, Marcel. Looks like you've got some haters. :O

I didn't find anything wrong with this review, to be honest. It pretty much describes the album how it is.

Im not a Marcel "hater" in the least....hes a bit of a character and creates controversy, which I like, but I havent been on this site for only a week Ive been a member for 5 years now and by now I know that he is generally very cynical and seems to just hate things for the fact of having an opinion.

That's understandable, I suppose. I think... Marcel just wants a hug.
21.10.2009 - 23:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 21.10.2009 at 22:55

I think... Marcel just wants a hug.

Your arms won't be big enough to wrap around my belly.

But if you're a good looking woman you can hug e anywhere
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.10.2009 - 23:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite

... he is generally very cynical and seems to just hate things for the fact of having an opinion.

Once you're where I am (i.e. whe you're my age) you'll porbably be the same
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.10.2009 - 23:05
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.10.2009 at 23:01

But if you're a good looking woman you can hug e anywhere

Well, I'm not, so back teh fuck off. D:<
21.10.2009 - 23:10
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.10.2009 at 23:03

... he is generally very cynical and seems to just hate things for the fact of having an opinion.

Once you're where I am (i.e. whe you're my age) you'll porbably be the same

nah I'll be happy, because like I told you the other day, im jealous of your pension $$
21.10.2009 - 23:40
silenius
Anyone wanna have a cookie?^^ they are very tasty
22.10.2009 - 00:18
HBrandr
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 21.10.2009 at 18:22

I don't understand why people are getting all up and tight about this, Look, I am a reviewer, and this is my review. I listened to the album several times and this is the conclusions I drew. I honestly feel that I am more than qualified to make such a remark about this album.

I'll make it very clear, I have no problem with your rating at all, but concerning the review you wrote, I feel that it's not very informed and if I was a newcomer to the band's music the review would give me absolutely no indication of the album apart from statements like 'boring/ uninspiring/ hollow' and in-between sarcastic rip offs. All you achieve by saying that is filling up your word count and blowing off steam. Nothing informative whatsoever.

As a 'qualified reviewer' you're suppose to know that a review should be written in a subjective manner and not be based around your personal disappointment with regards to the vocalist leaving.

This album suffers from more than just the loss of the old vocalist. I found this music to be very boring, unoriginal and overproduced. Now, If you feel you know more about producing albums than I do, please enlighten me. If not, do something constructive; like actually comment on the quality of my review, and not the fact that I trashed the album. If you want to use Dark Matter Dimensions as your new cum-rag, go right ahead...but stop bitching.

Please enlighten me on any albums you've produced and your experience as a professional musician, seeing as you and a lot of the other users on here are better equipped then the artists themselves. Jonas Kjellgren of Scar Symmetry has been producing music since you're were still in primary school - I think he has a little more experience and therefore none of us (except if you're a professional producer) can have a informed opinion on the album's production. Even more importantly they've always had crystal clear production and I would go as far as saying compared to their previous albums this one isn't that well produced.

Disclaimer: *THIS COMMENT IS QUITE LONG*

So let's get to the quality of your review, since that's what you've requested.

So after your extensive album-listening sessions, you some how managed to miss the first part of the album, seeing that it starts off with a great and catchy lead section unlike the first parts on their previous albums. Both "Morphogenesis" and "The Illusionist" start off with a electronic snyth accompanied riff.

You seem to dislike the fact that their vocalist left the band and therefore their line up changed, but the music stayed the same and you have a problem with that as well? So what were you expecting? If Christian stayed on and sang on this record, would you have the same opinion about their uninspiring and hollow record - I think not.
As for comparing Henrik Olhsson's drumming to "Mike Portnoy" and calling him a "wannabe" - where did you get that piece information from - what's your frame of reference?

The fact that you harp on about Christian leaving the band (throughout the entire review) makes me wonder if you really paid attention to the music in the first place, saying things like 'it's Alvestam's vocals I went crazy for'. Alvestam never wrote any of the music apart from the vocal melodies (and only on some of the songs) - so the fact that he left would only change the vocal melodies and not the music... so the music was probably boring from the start if I understand you and others' comments on here, correctly? So saying you never liked Scar Symmetry's 'music' would make more sense considering that hasn't changed much at all.

'The great catchy melodies that used to fill their past records are gone.' Again, just pop in the cd and give the first 30 seconds a good listen and you'll see that your comment makes no sense - other great songs are 'Mechanical Soul Cybernetics' - with it's Meshuggah like structures which they've never done before - plus the solos on there is some of their best and most catchy/ melodic ever (Acension Chamber, Noumenon and Phenomenon 2:20-3:11 especially).

As for the 'same basic formula' you're referring to, there is a difference between 'formula' and trademark sound. This album sounds like a Scar Symmetry album - like the new Immortal album sounding like an Immortal album, no-one seems to have a problem with them using rehashed riffs and having their own sound (or do they?).

I do agree however that the vocals aren't the same standard as Alvestam's, but that's about it. You don't like the album and that is fine, I just think a review needs to clarify one's opinion especially if you consider that even people not familiar with a band should benefit from reading it. Ending a review by saying an album is "bad", and not really elaborating on what you find is bad and why - makes the review seem as 'hollow' as you see this album.
22.10.2009 - 00:19
Rating: 7
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
The clean vocals suck, but the growling's not so bad... I haven't bought the album yet, but I've listened to Noumenon And Phenomenon and it seemed pretty good to me.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
22.10.2009 - 00:41
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
HBrandr, since you seem to want to know about my credentials, I'll give you a little back ground information. I began studying music performance, theory and production when I was 12. By the time I was in high school I had already been preforming with local bands and large orchestras. In college I spent several years studying music theory and vocal performance. During that time I landed a job as a radio DJ and made numerous connections in the music business world. Soon I moved from New York to North Carolina where I quickly teamed up with many local musicians and producers. I have helped with the production of many artist's work, including time recording at the CMC on Martha's Vineyard. Currently, I've been studying under a close friend who is both an acclaimed artists and producer. He currently works for Moog Music and has worked with the likes of Jordan Rudess, Widespread Panic and even Micheal Jackson.

I have been involved in virtually all aspects of the music business. From writing and preforming to recording and producing to promotion and networking I've had my hand in all of it in some fashion. I currently have an album collection boarding on about 5,000 album, to to mention my rather plush library of books about music and music business. Currently I am working on putting together a Christian Metal festival for early spring, as well as writing several more articles on music and working on a some original music.

So if that is not good enough for you, I am sorry, and I'll try harder.
----
(space for rent)
22.10.2009 - 01:09
HBrandr
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 22.10.2009 at 00:41

HBrandr, since you seem to want to know about my credentials, I'll give you a little back ground information. I began studying music performance, theory and production when I was 12. By the time I was in high school I had already been preforming with local bands and large orchestras. In college I spent several years studying music theory and vocal performance. During that time I landed a job as a radio DJ and made numerous connections in the music business world. Soon I moved from New York to North Carolina where I quickly teamed up with many local musicians and producers. I have helped with the production of many artist's work, including time recording at the CMC on Martha's Vineyard. Currently, I've been studying under a close friend who is both an acclaimed artists and producer. He currently works for Moog Music and has worked with the likes of Jordan Rudess, Widespread Panic and even Micheal Jackson.

I have been involved in virtually all aspects of the music business. From writing and preforming to recording and producing to promotion and networking I've had my hand in all of it in some fashion. I currently have an album collection boarding on about 5,000 album, to to mention my rather plush library of books about music and music business. Currently I am working on putting together a Christian Metal festival for early spring, as well as writing several more articles on music and working on a some original music.

So if that is not good enough for you, I am sorry, and I'll try harder.

Thanks for the reply Dane and that is indeed an impressive resume - I only asked since you mentioned it earlier and of course I am curious, because I also have a passion for writing and producing music etc. I'm sure you're clued up on music then, no need to impress me... I was just asking out of curiousity.

Anyway, like I said I don't have a problem with your rating etc, I just found the review a little 'uninforming' - meaning, that I thought if you didn't like the record you could compare some of their newer songs with their old ones and break them up a little, explaining that you find this song boring because of the 'average' riff used here and it's repeated somewhere else, also the melodies on songs like "xx" are not like on "xx"... not too much detail, but a little more for those who might not know anything of Scar Symmetry, you know?

Sure people have different styles of writing and I respect that, I just think (not like I know better) that one can analyse the album on a deeper level? However I'm a bit frustrated with the direction of this 'thread', because indeed few have commented on the quality of your review - rather boxing Scar Symmetry into a genre...

Would like to hear/ read some of your music/ work in the future.
22.10.2009 - 01:14
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Guest on 22.10.2009 at 01:09

What like to hear/ read some of your music/ work in the future.

You could start with the two current articles I have published here on Metal Storm:
The Tolkien-Zeppelin Connection
Jesus Christ and the Headbanger: Understanding A Heavy Metal Christian Worship.

I'd love to know what you think about them.
----
(space for rent)
22.10.2009 - 01:20
HBrandr
Account deleted
Thanks man, I'll have a look and definitely get back to you...
22.10.2009 - 02:56
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Written by Derwood on 21.10.2009 at 22:07

Just so we're clear - I didn't write that, ^^ Darkside Momo did and I quoted him.

Yeah, that's pretty irritating...
A happy young old fart I am now!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
22.10.2009 - 17:39
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Guest on 21.10.2009 at 21:48
Written by Syk on 21.10.2009 at 17:44
Written by Guest on 21.10.2009 at 17:28
MAN i love confrontation....fuck it makes me happy!

Anyway to come back to this review...Ive read through all the carnage and the "i know more than you cozz what I say is law" crap thats been slung around - why the HELL has this turned into a "Scar Symmetry isnt Melodic Death" war? Everyone with their negative comments about the band keep harping on about the same shit over and over - seriously why do you people have these damn hangup about labeling bands? Seriously I dont give a crap anymore, I listen to to music and try to enjoy it without putting them in boxes and catagorising them as this or that. Why does everything always have to be such a fuckin mission with you people? So what if theyre not Melodic Death? Shit call them what you want, you can call them "sausage mayo burger with double thick big breasted japanese" metal for all I care...but if you want to listen to Dismember or whatever else, then go listen to your "real" melodic death metal if that makes you feel better or if you want the pat on the back for being "correct".

ffs, all these opinions from people who know "best" is pissing me off. Just because you have the "elite" badge you can swing around does not mean things always have to be turned into a war between whether its "real" or not, or how a good production makes albums shit. Seriously....if you look for faults you will find it. Im not saying DMD is without its faults....but yeah you know what I mean.

See now im happy....
The thing is, people who call G-b metal "melodic death" are wasting the time of all the people like me who love actual death metal and want to find some more, but have no interest whatsoever in the Swedish variety of metal that happens to have harsher vocals than Iron Maiden. If you guys would just take a few seconds to realize the difference... you'd also extend your keyboard's life expectancy and not waste so much of your own time typing the wrong friggin' thing

Dude....I never called anything Melodic Death or whatver..our good friend Marcel is the one that started putting things in boxes. So when you refer to "you guys" maybe you are the one who should take a second to realise that Im no part of this dumb-ass genre war going on.

I stick to my earlier point. Just because someone is an elite and has the reviewer badge on his profile, it doesnt suddenly give him more insight. Like I said, the album isnt without its flaws, but this entire thing has turned into an elite v "guest" dispute which is ridiculous.
But I'm not an elite... yet... *jumps into a volcano*

My post (that earlier one... and most of this one too) was really in response to the second paragraph in your first post, "all the carnage..." "...give a crap anymore..." hoping to convince the people who do give a crap but keep getting it wrong like Baz A and a lot of the newer ones (no I'm not saying Baz is one of the newer ones - and I'm just typing this bit now so people don't try to jump on my ass about it later). Not giving a crap is fine. But as I said, getting it wrong and voicing their misbelief as often as these guys do is misleading and wastes the time of many. G-b metal and melodeath are not the same. Look at my wishlist - death metal features the most because it is one of my two favourite subgenres. I even have melodic death like Dismember in there. If they were they same, you'd expect to see "Gothenburg" also mentioned on the side, above the pie chart, but no, because as I also said earlier, I have no interest in it whatsoever. There are some cases where it's hard to judge, but usually it's fairly easy to see whether or not an album has something to do with actual, proper death metal such as Death's Leprosy

Because of this, and the fact I have heard some of Symmetry's work before, I haven't listened to this album which is why I'm not commenting on the review itself
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
22.10.2009 - 20:32
Crazy Booduh
You're completely entitled to your opinion, but the part of the review I have a problem with is this:

"Christian Älvestam has been replaced by not one but two vocalists, who each have their own parts (growls and clean vocals). Is it me, or does that just seem really pathetic? Could Scar Symmetry not find a vocalist who could do both?"

I recall that the reason they got two vocalists was because there were lots of layered vocal parts on Holographic Universe that really weren't possible to do with one vocalist in a live show. That seems perfectly reasonable to me and in no way "pathetic," they're splitting their checks with another person in order to put on a great live show.
23.10.2009 - 01:47
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Syk on 22.10.2009 at 17:39

Written by Guest on 21.10.2009 at 21:48
Written by Syk on 21.10.2009 at 17:44
Written by Guest on 21.10.2009 at 17:28
MAN i love confrontation....fuck it makes me happy!

Anyway to come back to this review...Ive read through all the carnage and the "i know more than you cozz what I say is law" crap thats been slung around - why the HELL has this turned into a "Scar Symmetry isnt Melodic Death" war? Everyone with their negative comments about the band keep harping on about the same shit over and over - seriously why do you people have these damn hangup about labeling bands? Seriously I dont give a crap anymore, I listen to to music and try to enjoy it without putting them in boxes and catagorising them as this or that. Why does everything always have to be such a fuckin mission with you people? So what if theyre not Melodic Death? Shit call them what you want, you can call them "sausage mayo burger with double thick big breasted japanese" metal for all I care...but if you want to listen to Dismember or whatever else, then go listen to your "real" melodic death metal if that makes you feel better or if you want the pat on the back for being "correct".

ffs, all these opinions from people who know "best" is pissing me off. Just because you have the "elite" badge you can swing around does not mean things always have to be turned into a war between whether its "real" or not, or how a good production makes albums shit. Seriously....if you look for faults you will find it. Im not saying DMD is without its faults....but yeah you know what I mean.

See now im happy....
The thing is, people who call G-b metal "melodic death" are wasting the time of all the people like me who love actual death metal and want to find some more, but have no interest whatsoever in the Swedish variety of metal that happens to have harsher vocals than Iron Maiden. If you guys would just take a few seconds to realize the difference... you'd also extend your keyboard's life expectancy and not waste so much of your own time typing the wrong friggin' thing

Dude....I never called anything Melodic Death or whatver..our good friend Marcel is the one that started putting things in boxes. So when you refer to "you guys" maybe you are the one who should take a second to realise that Im no part of this dumb-ass genre war going on.

I stick to my earlier point. Just because someone is an elite and has the reviewer badge on his profile, it doesnt suddenly give him more insight. Like I said, the album isnt without its flaws, but this entire thing has turned into an elite v "guest" dispute which is ridiculous.
But I'm not an elite... yet... *jumps into a volcano*

My post (that earlier one... and most of this one too) was really in response to the second paragraph in your first post, "all the carnage..." "...give a crap anymore..." hoping to convince the people who do give a crap but keep getting it wrong like Baz A and a lot of the newer ones (no I'm not saying Baz is one of the newer ones - and I'm just typing this bit now so people don't try to jump on my ass about it later). Not giving a crap is fine. But as I said, getting it wrong and voicing their misbelief as often as these guys do is misleading and wastes the time of many. G-b metal and melodeath are not the same. Look at my wishlist - death metal features the most because it is one of my two favourite subgenres. I even have melodic death like Dismember in there. If they were they same, you'd expect to see "Gothenburg" also mentioned on the side, above the pie chart, but no, because as I also said earlier, I have no interest in it whatsoever. There are some cases where it's hard to judge, but usually it's fairly easy to see whether or not an album has something to do with actual, proper death metal such as Death's Leprosy

Because of this, and the fact I have heard some of Symmetry's work before, I haven't listened to this album which is why I'm not commenting on the review itself

Thanks for the reply dude, hope they listen to you lol
23.10.2009 - 11:03
Danny Thomas
I'm a very big fan of their previous albums, and i do not think the new vocals work well at all. it changes the feel of the music. there are a few interesting songs. for instance i thought "a parenthesis in eternity" was a decent effort, but it almost seems like they are trying too hard, and it just doesn't do it for me, sigh : /
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
26.10.2009 - 06:21
Locke
Account deleted
8.1 | 65 votes

Sorry Dane, you're a statistical outlier.
26.10.2009 - 06:49
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Guest on 26.10.2009 at 06:21

8.1 | 65 votes

Sorry Dane, you're a statistical outlier.

yeah, because our rating system is so accurate and legit... no gamesmanship goes on, and each and every voter actually does weigh the strengths and weaknesses of an album before assigning it the appropriate rating based upon the scale values MS assigned.

right?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.10.2009 - 18:02
ponderer
Good review of a crappy band. They blow. It sounds like teen angst doggerel. Bring on the real metal cause this stuff EATS.
28.10.2009 - 15:36
blackthor
I like it. 8.5 my rate.
30.10.2009 - 09:59
Rating: 8
I think its a good album, vocally worse but musically far better
18.11.2009 - 22:08
GT
Coffee!!
staff
Hmm never listened to any Scar Symmetry before so I can't comment on how this album is compared to their previous efforts, but I don't find this album particularly bad in fact I rather enjoy it. A rating would probably be a 6.8 or a 7.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
18.01.2010 - 20:48
Rating: 7
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
BAD in almost every way, except for two or three OK songs and an experimental touch on many songs that deserves some respect... Even though Mechanical Soul Cybernetics pushes the experiment annoyingly far ; I thought I was listening to 3 Inches of Blood...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
12.04.2010 - 18:52
Rating: 6
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Bye bye Scar Symmetry. Hello Solution .45.
14.04.2010 - 18:38
Kennoth
I couldn't agree more with the review, I feel the same way. Well, we can always hope that Christian will come back in the next album...
----
*insert something deep and profound*
16.04.2010 - 00:02
Rating: 10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Definitely dont agree with the review. (opinion ) I'd been a fan of Scar Symmetry since before ''Pitch Black Progress'' came out, and was a huge fan of Christian Alvestam's vocals. When he left, I was very sad, and had a lot of doubts that they could still be a great band without him, as he was the main thing that made them into an amazing band, instead of just a very good band. I was very sceptical when I found out 2 singers were going to be replacing him. As that just proved what an immense talent that Christian is. I still think it was a blow to the band to lose him, but when I finally heard the album, I was shocked at how good it was! Definitely better than ''Holographic Universe''.

I think with Christian, the album would have been even better, but I think the 2 new guys do a good job, and it will make the songs easier to pull off live. As Christian layered his vocals sometimes, which is of course, impossible to replicate live with only one vocalist! Musically, I really cant fault it! Its Scar Symmetry doing what they do best. Unlike the reviewer, I saw the album actually, as one of the highlights, and biggest surprises of the year, as I was very sceptical prior to hearing the album. The 2 new vocalists certainly won me over, and I still love Scar Symmetry a lot. They're just a little less special now with the loss of Christian. But I love ''Dark Matter Dimensions'' definitely, great album!
06.08.2010 - 16:59
Rating: 6
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
So I listened to it again and once you get past the bad clean vocals its actually a great album ... mostly ...

Hits total: 10945 | This month: 10