01. In Flanders Fields
02. God Damn The Sun
03. Sick
04. Epitaph
05. The Rivers Flow
06. For The Fallen
07. Dead Youth
08. Ashes

France's Black metal scene is still booming and blooming and new bands pop up seemingly every day. Mourning Dawn aren't exactly newcomers to the game, but with their post '00s birth date still a part of this Black metal revival, if we can call it that. Mourning Dawn and I have met before: with their self-titled debut album under their belt I saw them at the Dutch Doom Days VII and more recently at DelftDoom II – a few months after the release of their second album For The Fallen.... DelftDoom II saw a much tighter band for sure, so my expectations for the new album rose. And I was not disappointed.

It's not really hard to describe what these guys do. Their mixture of Black and Doom reminds of old Shining and old Forgotten Tomb with the sick guest vocals of Marquis to top it off. A massive iron wall complemented by wretched and deformed spikes, skewers and pegs. Not the prettiest sight, but a goddamn efficient tool after all. It's a plus that they don't rely solely on ugliness, the music gets a much sicker vibe from the dynamic tempos used. "God Damn The Sun" is a good example of this, the slow start and gradually increasing pace and tension result in a wicked symphony of hatred and madness. These guys understand constant hyper blasting does not equal intense music.

It's also not really hard to come up with a conclusion for For The Fallen. When the musicians are technically skilled, when the experience is there, when the band members known there classics and are capable of writing fresh music themselves, it is hard to come up with a bad album. For The Fallen may not be as good the originals, but it is a damn enticing piece nonetheless.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 20.10.2009 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 98 users
20.10.2009 - 21:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Agreed. A really nice album and imo better than there self-titled debut.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.10.2009 - 22:43
Thanntos

Good album, would give it a 7-7.5 though in terms of other doom released this year.
----
I will kill you so hard you will die to death.
20.10.2009 - 22:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Thanntos on 20.10.2009 at 22:43

Good album, would give it a 7-7.5 though in terms of other doom released this year.

Imo that would be a bit too low. I would rate it between 7.8 and 8.2 I think.

I prefer it to Ea II by far, but still ahevn't heard Arcana Coalestia aarrrggghhh
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.10.2009 - 00:05
Thanntos

Not just Arcana, but Mournful Congregation, Ahab, Procession, Process of Guilt, Altar of Oblivion, Longing for Dawn were all stronger imo.
O and Marcel, check out The Morningside too. Really awesome death doom with some Agalloch influence.
Also, this is the album that uses the exact same intro (the wind) as EA II's first song, which I find somewhat shocking and interesting...perhaps this is the origin of some of the mysterious EA band members?
----
I will kill you so hard you will die to death.
21.10.2009 - 00:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Thanntos on 21.10.2009 at 00:05

Not just Arcana, but Mournful Congregation, Ahab, Procession, Process of Guilt, Altar of Oblivion, Longing for Dawn were all stronger imo.
O and Marcel, check out The Morningside too. Really awesome death doom with some Agalloch influence.
Also, this is the album that uses the exact same intro (the wind) as EA II's first song, which I find somewhat shocking and interesting...perhaps this is the origin of some of the mysterious EA band members?

Oh I agree about Mournful CongregationC, Ahab, Procession, Process Of Guilt (best album of the year for me), being stronger still have to check Altar and Longing though, also Griftegard is stronger as is Candlemass and Profetus and Aathma and Unsilence and some others. By no means is Mourning Dawn in the top 10 for me, but I find it extremely enjoyable, and like I said a lot stronger than Ea II. All in all it has been great year for doom thus far.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.10.2009 - 13:35
Merchant of Doom

I think it's a great album, much better than MC, Ahab or PoG... but then, as usual, it boils down to taste... and only 7.8?
22.10.2009 - 18:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I think the rating is good. I mean, the music is nice and all but definitely not as original and mindblowing as what process of Guilt and Ahab did on their albums.

Standing on it's own, the album is great indeed, but nothing way too awesome for my tastes.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 6268 | This month: 7