Metal Storm logo
Ov Hell - New All-Star Black Metal Band Formed

Posted on the new band's myspace page today:

Out of Norway's biggest and darkest metal bands rises Ov HELL. This group of Satan's all-stars has been sharpening their teeth in some of black metal's most influential bands for many years. Known as key figures in bands such as Dimmu Borgir and Gorgoroth, Shagrath and King have come together to bring forward a new chapter in Norwegian black metal history. Ov HELL will carry on in the same tradition for which King and Shagrath are known, but the collaboration between the two will mark a new era for them both.

Frost, Ice Dale and Teloch have been recruited for the first full-length release. The album will contain all of the power and blast beats worthy of their evil pedigrees. Expect an assault on all false gods and hypocrisy that is of this world today.....

"The first Ov HELL release will contain music I've worked on in my Gorgoroth and God Seed years. It's been a little hell to actually see this music form into a band, so the name of the band is quite suitable. Through the first song I got from Shagrath I knew that he would be the perfect man to join forces with. He has strong individual qualities and a strong will to power. I am very positive that when we finish up this album it will be an album that won't sound like anything we have done before, and with a quality that won't stand back from anything presented in black metal earlier!" - King

"With both of our demanding music careers and other projects, timing was not on our side. After last years inferno festival, King and I yet again joined forces to brainstorm our need to collaborate our passion for dark art. Over the course of the past year, King sent me demo ideas that were so inspiring it made me put my skeptic feelings aside. I wasn't sure if I wanted to have another Black Metal project but my unquenchable thirst to explore my darkest beast, launched the birth Ov HELL. The majestic Ov HELL has become a band that reflects our roots, raw, ugly, arrogantly blasphemous with uncompromising truth from two influential Norwegian musicians needing to express our primitive side, straight out Ov HELL." - Shagrath

Two new tracks, "Devil's Harlot" and "Ghosting" from the yet untitled upcoming album, has been uploaded to the band's MySpace.

Studio Line-up:

Shagrath (Dimmu Borgir, Chrome Division) - vocals
King (God Seed, Gorgoroth, Jotunspor, I, Sahg, Audrey Horne) - bass
Ice Dale (Enslaved, I, Audrey Horne, Trinacria, Demonaz) - guitar
Frost (Satyricon, 1349) - drums
Teloch (Nidingr, God Seed, 1349, Umoral) - guitar

Source: myspace.com
Band profile: Ov Hell
Posted: 22.10.2009 by Baz Anderson

Comments page 3 / 4

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 95   Visited by: 354 users
24.10.2009 - 01:20
Symmachus

I'd like to share that I've seen quite a few unnecessary comments on here. I don't like close-mindedness. By the way, I enjoy both black metal and power metal a good deal of the time.
24.10.2009 - 02:53
Lord_Regnier

This close-mindedness argument some people throw at you as soon as you say you don't like something is only a rhetoric and unsubstancial reply that will never solve anything. All you do by this is putting the blame on the other person.

If it was targeted at me, let me tell you that you loose your time because it's the most worthless argument you can use. Even if you'd tell me a thousand times how close-minded I am from your point of view, it won't make any difference. I never tried to look 'open-minded' and I couldn't care less if people believe I am.

When people like almost everything, it has nothing to do with open-mindedness from my point of view. It has only to do with not being able to make choices, focus on what you like the most and don't loose your time with the rest. Which is, at the limit, a lack of personality.
Or simply lacking the courage to tell that you dislike something because of fear to be bashed by others.

The close-mindedness argument is so easy to counter and turn back against the one who used it, anyway. For example, PM fans often blame people who are into extreme metal for their 'close-mindedness', while at the same time saying that "extreme metal is only senseless noise that damages ears and brains", proving by this very statement that they're not more open-minded than the ones they blame, but close-minded the other way around.
I think it shows how pointless and worthless this argument is.

In short, we're all 'open-minded' towards what we like and 'close-minded' towards what we dislike.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
24.10.2009 - 03:14
Lord_Regnier

Written by Baz Anderson on 23.10.2009 at 16:59

The point he is trying to make though, is that a handful of modern metal bands are branching out into the mainstream, and he thinks this makes them less "metal" because the nature of metal was supposed to be an underground thing.

You missed my point.

Bands are not less metal only because they're popular. They are because their music sounds commercial, pop-ish, targeted at gaining mainstream attention and acceptance.
Achieving popularity by still playing heavy and uncompromising music doesn't make you a commercial sellout. Starting to do something different in the hope it will catch the attention of non-metal fans makes you one.

It's not the popularity that decides but the music.
----
24.10.2009 - 03:22
Lord_Regnier

Written by Doc G. on 24.10.2009 at 00:53

@Everyone: Knock the shit off and quit feeding the trolls. This is getting really stupid, seriously.

Another lame attitude: labeling people as trolls as soon as they post negative comments.
All it does is creating two gangs: one who calls the other gang 'trolls', while the second gang calls the first 'fanboys'.
But you will probably reply to this by calling me an elitist, isn't it, Dr.Rock?
----
24.10.2009 - 03:27
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Lord_Regnier on 24.10.2009 at 03:22

Written by Doc G. on 24.10.2009 at 00:53

@Everyone: Knock the shit off and quit feeding the trolls. This is getting really stupid, seriously.

Another lame attitude: labeling people as trolls as soon as they post negative comments.
All it does is creating two gangs: one who calls the other gang 'trolls', while the second gang calls the first 'fanboys'.
But you will probably reply to this by calling me an elitist, isn't it, Dr.Rock?

There's negative comments and then there is ridiculous arguments against people who obviously won't listen either way. Read this whole argument back to yourself...it's absurd.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.10.2009 - 03:34
Lord_Regnier

I stated my opinion and stick to it. Like I said above, it doesn't matter if people agree or not. It won't change the way I see things.

In the end, it's only a matter of personal standards as to what is heavy or not, aggressive or not, etc.
Different people, different opinions.
----
24.10.2009 - 08:35
Jon

Well, I guess we can all agree that the new Vader album still sounds pretty sweet, no?
----
A mythology is a religion different enough from your own for it's absurdity to be obvious.
24.10.2009 - 09:08
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Lord_Regnier on 24.10.2009 at 02:53

When people like almost everything, it has nothing to do with open-mindedness from my point of view. It has only to do with not being able to make choices, focus on what you like the most and don't loose your time with the rest. Which is, at the limit, a lack of personality.
Or simply lacking the courage to tell that you dislike something because of fear to be bashed by others.

Obviously, your "point of view" is limited. I can understand this argument for *some* people, not all. I love most types of music (that I have heard and am aware of), and I am about as serious and passionate about music as one can get. Also, I feel that I have a very strong opinions and can take a brutal bashing and well... just ignore it like any human being with a little bit of self-respect and integrity would. Also, I feel that I'm not a complete blind fuck-tard, I can sense when music gives off an "unauthentic" flair. Not all "commercial" music is "unauthentic".

Also, there is a difference between being "close-minded" and "narrow-minded". I think the types of people you are describing are "narrow-mined", because they just don't like anything besides Type A or Type B kind of music. And well, you really can't knock someone for being "narrow-minded" but you certainly can for being a stubborn, close-mined person.
24.10.2009 - 10:52
Slayer666

Written by Lord_Regnier on 24.10.2009 at 00:01

Written by The Night Wisher on 23.10.2009 at 16:16

And I do respect bands like Cradle of Filth cuz they play true extreme MUSIC not bullshit .

This sentence tells a lot about your tastes and knowledge on BM.
If you prefer CoF to real BM, it's your own choice and I can live with it.

However, it means that you have no liking for BM, in fact, and most likely don't know shit about this genre.
All long-time BM fans know the difference between BM and commercial pseudo BM crap like CoF.

You my freind, are full of crap. Whoever likes Cradle automaticly dislikes real BM? I'm a living proof that isn't so.
24.10.2009 - 13:41
InnerSelf
proofread free
This project seems Trveand Kvlt
not commercial at all
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
24.10.2009 - 13:56
Enissa

Written by Jiri on 23.10.2009 at 18:53

What I don't understand is why people that hate black metal even go into this forum. Nightwisher, Aidooon, Angel Lament, why did you even enter this page if you hate black metal so? Do you really have nothing better to do? I don't like Shagrath and King Ov Hell too much, but I happen to like black metal as a genre. Therefore, I feel obligated to enter this forum and profess my complaints at how pointless of a band OV Hell is. What makes you guys come in here? I would not waste my time going into power metal forums and shiting all over the genre. I have self-respect. I am not such a philistine. Please explain yourselves. I am very intrigued to find out why you guys would exhaust so much of your time into deriding a whole genre that you don't even care about. Your thought patterns interest me.

Well, as u clearly didnt read my comment well, I didnt enter this forum to despise black metal, I believe I cleared that I respect all genres of music, but I cant see anyone who is demanding to ban Power metal music from metal boards and still standing....do you think I dont have self-respect like you pretend to have?
24.10.2009 - 14:45
Lord_Regnier

Written by Slayer666 on 24.10.2009 at 10:52

And I do respect bands like Cradle of Filth cuz they play true extreme MUSIC not bullshit .

However, it means that you have no liking for BM, in fact, and most likely don't know shit about this genre.
All long-time BM fans know the difference between BM and commercial pseudo BM crap like CoF.

You my freind, are full of crap. Whoever likes Cradle automaticly dislikes real BM? I'm a living proof that isn't so.

No, no, no. You misread my words. I never said that someone who likes CoF automatically dislikes BM.

"And I do respect bands like Cradle of Filth cuz they play true extreme MUSIC not bullshit ."
That's what the guy said, thus implying that BM in general is crap and not even music from his point of view.

Difference is, in your case, you like BM + CoF. The other guy compares BM to CoF and praises the latter, while labeling the former as bullshit.

I read your posts on many other threads, Slayer666, and I can tell you that our tastes are in general rather similar. In the present case, the only difference between us is you like CoF, while I think it doesn't worth listening to, especially because Dani Filth can't sing anymore (his vocals are beyond awful on their recent records and live on stage).
You're as much a BM fan as me. But, on the other hand, you have those people who believe they like BM only because they listen to a few bands like CoF and Dimmu Borgir. Bands who represent the most commercial and mainstream side of BM.
----
24.10.2009 - 18:33
Jiri

Written by Enissa on 24.10.2009 at 13:56

What I don't understand is why people that hate black metal even go into this forum. Nightwisher, Aidooon, Angel Lament, why did you even enter this page if you hate black metal so? Do you really have nothing better to do? I don't like Shagrath and King Ov Hell too much, but I happen to like black metal as a genre. Therefore, I feel obligated to enter this forum and profess my complaints at how pointless of a band OV Hell is. What makes you guys come in here? I would not waste my time going into power metal forums and shiting all over the genre. I have self-respect. I am not such a philistine. Please explain yourselves. I am very intrigued to find out why you guys would exhaust so much of your time into deriding a whole genre that you don't even care about. Your thought patterns interest me.

Well, as u clearly didnt read my comment well, I didnt enter this forum to despise black metal, I believe I cleared that I respect all genres of music, but I cant see anyone who is demanding to ban Power metal music from metal boards and still standing....do you think I dont have self-respect like you pretend to have?

Dude, you clearly stated you like every genre of metal except for black. Now, you are guilty of not reading my comment well. I asked people like you why you would even enter a forum that is black metal based if you don't like it? Please answer this question, Angel. Please tell me what you were thinking when you saw "Ov Hell - New All-Star Black Metal Band Formed" and decided to not only enter the forum, but bother to read every single comment in it. It seems as if your thought process was "Huh, a new black metal band formed. Let me go in and scan for any insults to any genre of music I like and defend it. Then I will tell all the black metal fans that I am so cool and so sagacious that I like every genre of music except black metal. Then they will know that I am open-minded". I could be wrong, but this is the perception that I get from your comments. I know you love Power Metal, and that's cool, and I know you want to defend the genre you love, and power to you, but what I still do not understand is why you came in here in the first place. Again, please tell me your thinking on this, and I will be a happy man.
24.10.2009 - 18:33
Slayer666

Written by Lord_Regnier on 24.10.2009 at 14:45

Written by Slayer666 on 24.10.2009 at 10:52

No, no, no. You misread my words. I never said that someone who likes CoF automatically dislikes BM.

"And I do respect bands like Cradle of Filth cuz they play true extreme MUSIC not bullshit ."
That's what the guy said, thus implying that BM in general is crap and not even music from his point of view.

Difference is, in your case, you like BM + CoF. The other guy compares BM to CoF and praises the latter, while labeling the former as bullshit.

I read your posts on many other threads, Slayer666, and I can tell you that our tastes are in general rather similar. In the present case, the only difference between us is you like CoF, while I think it doesn't worth listening to, especially because Dani Filth can't sing anymore (his vocals are beyond awful on their recent records and live on stage).
You're as much a BM fan as me. But, on the other hand, you have those people who believe they like BM only because they listen to a few bands like CoF and Dimmu Borgir. Bands who represent the most commercial and mainstream side of BM.

Oh, that.... Sorry, mate, I wasn't paying close attention when I was reading.
Don't be so hard on Dani, the guy spent 10+ years screaming his throat off both on the albums and live. He was bound to go off sooner or later. Actually, while not on the level of CoF's early era, his screams still kick ass. He managed to nail every scream every time during their live show here (which I was present on, and will never forget). Besides, don't you think CoF's music is a bit more than that?
And, seriously, what the fuck is up with these BM haters coming to this thread? Too much free time, or somethin'?

Anyway, back to the topic. Judging by the 2 songs on MySpace, OV Hell is going to be just one more generic, average, and completely unneeded BM act out there. These guys think that they solved all of their problems by enlisting popular BM musicians such as ShitShagrath, King and Frost, but they are so terribly wrong...
24.10.2009 - 19:11
Slayer666

Written by aidooon on 23.10.2009 at 17:16

Written by The Night Wisher on 23.10.2009 at 16:44

Written by Lord_Regnier on 23.10.2009 at 13:51

Written by Baz Anderson on 23.10.2009 at 01:48

Written by Lord_Regnier on 23.10.2009 at 01:09

You know, I really start to wonder if we should ban Powermetal from forums devoted to metal music. Taking into account that lots of stuff is not even metal today but mainstream and commercial garbage

And are you that ignorant to make such stupid comments about power metal? Iron Maiden are one of the most commercial bands out there, shall we ban them too? There's no big deal in a band aiming at a commercial audience.

Recent Edguy and Nightwish with Anette are not metal. It sounds like pop. Same for Epica and many others.
So they don't have their place on a metal board and I don't see any reason to have threads about bands that are more rock and pop than metal.

Maybe it's because I have heavy standards but modern day Powermetal in general is not metal from my point of view. It's too much commercial music for the masses and appeals too easily to non-metal fans.

What do you want ?!
Nightwish is Pop, do you take drugs ?
Does Anette compose music ? Does she play bass ? or drums ? so musically nothing has changed in Nightwish....
She has nothing to do with music so Nightwish play Metal MUSIC, whoever is the vocalist ....everyone has a specific sort of vocals and vocals has nothing to do with Nw music ............

well that the really bad part. . she is not doing anything except singing. . and her singing is bad. .
tarja didn't do anything except singing. . but her singing was great. . bringing a vocalist like anette changed the whole band style . .
her voice is aweful. . and the new style of the band is just damn. . i don't like it. .
but on the other side . . FUCK BLACK METAL. . it's not even metal. . it's crap. . rubbish. . shit. . every bad thing!!
all the song the same. . need a sheet of lyrics to understand what's said. . God cursing . . heavy. . very heavy guitars and drums which make your head turn into a damn fucked up thing!! no melody. . no MUSIC AT ALL!!!
with all my respect to "nightwisher"s. . lol
and all my respect to black "metal" listeners. .
but this is my opinion!!

You might wanna take that opinion of yours and shove it up your ass. What the hell is your problem, man? Do you see me screaming in power metal forums, "PM is gaaay, it's for fags and pussies" or whatever? Jeez, if you spit on something at least do so much as put some valid arguments on it, not this moronic baseless bashing. Or at least use English, not goddamn Trollish. Seriously, fuck off and go masturbate to Tarja or whoever....
24.10.2009 - 20:29
Lord_Regnier

Written by aidooon on 23.10.2009 at 17:16

but on the other side . . FUCK BLACK METAL. . it's not even metal.

And pussy commercial bands like Nightwish and Edguy are more metal, maybe?

Black Metal, Death Metal, Thrash and Doom Metal all are 10 times more metal than Powermetal can be nowadays.
This genre commercialized itself more and more with years and has reached the point at which there's very little left of its melodic speed metal origins.
Lots of times, it's more like a different kind of pop music than a different metal subgenre. That's why it attracts so many people who don't listen to metal music, apart from PM. It wasn't like that 15-20 years ago, when PM was still really metal. The music was too rough, too raw produced, too fast, too heavy, etc to attract people who like only soft music.

It really makes me laugh to tears when I see people who don't listen to anything harsher than Powermetal saying that other genres are not even metal.

I checked your favorite bands list, aidoon, and it contains almost only commercial stuff, most of it being non-metal music.
----
24.10.2009 - 22:55
Enissa

Written by Jiri on 24.10.2009 at 18:33

Dude, you clearly stated you like every genre of metal except for black. Now, you are guilty of not reading my comment well. I asked people like you why you would even enter a forum that is black metal based if you don't like it? Please answer this question, Angel. Please tell me what you were thinking when you saw "Ov Hell - New All-Star Black Metal Band Formed" and decided to not only enter the forum, but bother to read every single comment in it. It seems as if your thought process was "Huh, a new black metal band formed. Let me go in and scan for any insults to any genre of music I like and defend it. Then I will tell all the black metal fans that I am so cool and so sagacious that I like every genre of music except black metal. Then they will know that I am open-minded". I could be wrong, but this is the perception that I get from your comments. I know you love Power Metal, and that's cool, and I know you want to defend the genre you love, and power to you, but what I still do not understand is why you came in here in the first place. Again, please tell me your thinking on this, and I will be a happy man.

such sad that u understand my comment that way.
I didnt enter this forum to insult anyone, I enter many forums that dont concern me a lot just to check it out, I respect everyone's opinion, even if he listens to Rap music!!
but this one, I entered this one coz of the title made me curious to know about this All-Star black metal band, and read the comments, and then saw there was an argument, and the one started it is someone who hates black metal, and I didnt stand with him, coz he started in such a harsh way, but then I saw a comment about "the importance" of banning power metal from metal blogs coz the-now-days power metal is commercial, made me get pissed off and response to it, especially that I know many black metal fans who say this as well, thts it...
I maybe hate black metal, but that coz of many reasons and I wont say that each time I enter a forum, plus I do like some bands who combine some black into their music like Arcturus, Empyrium, Ensiferum, Equilibrium, Moonspell,...
Please dont ever think I would enter such blog just to insult ppl or make fun o them, or just to say I hate this or this, I even hate ppl who do that....
24.10.2009 - 23:14
Jiri

Written by Enissa on 24.10.2009 at 22:55

I didnt enter this forum to insult anyone, I enter many forums that dont concern me a lot just to check it out, I respect everyone's opinion, even if he listens to Rap music!!
but this one, I entered this one coz of the title made me curious to know about this All-Star black metal band, and read the comments, and then saw there was an argument, and the one started it is someone who hates black metal, and I didnt stand with him, coz he started in such a harsh way, but then I saw a comment about "the importance" of banning power metal from metal blogs coz the-now-days power metal is commercial, made me get pissed off and response to it, especially that I know many black metal fans who say this as well, thts it...
I maybe hate black metal, but that coz of many reasons and I wont say that each time I enter a forum, plus I do like some bands who combine some black into their music like Arcturus, Empyrium, Ensiferum, Equilibrium, Moonspell,...
Please dont ever think I would enter such blog just to insult ppl or make fun o them, or just to say I hate this or this, I even hate ppl who do that....

Sorry, dude. I guess I grouped you in with retards like Night Wisher and Aidooon. Didn't mean to. When I wrote my comment, I just looked for people that had stated that they did not like black metal, which you did.

I still want to know why Night Wisher came into this forum just to trash black metal. So, Night Wisher I call you out. Tell me why you are so stupid. I want to know what went through that tiny, pathetic little brain of yours, you buffoon!
24.10.2009 - 23:20
Enissa

Written by Jiri on 24.10.2009 at 23:14

Sorry, dude. I guess I grouped you in with retards like Night Wisher and Aidooon. Didn't mean to. When I wrote my comment, I just looked for people that had stated that they did not like black metal, which you did.

I still want to know why Night Wisher came into this forum just to trash black metal. So, Night Wisher I call you out. Tell me why you are so stupid. I want to know what went through that tiny, pathetic little brain of yours, you buffoon!

no problem man, but I think they dont mean to insult black metal or its listeners, they just dont know how to repress their opinions...
24.10.2009 - 23:25
Jiri

Good theory.
25.10.2009 - 00:04
Lord_Regnier

then I saw a comment about "the importance" of banning power metal from metal blogs coz the-now-days power metal is commercial, made me get pissed off and response to it, especially that I know many black metal fans who say this as well, thts it...

Since this part is targeted at me, allow me to reply in a clear way.

First, I never made the affirmation that we should ban Powermetal from metal boards. I said that I WONDER if we should do it. Which means I'm not entirely sure about this. It was more a question than anything else.
A part of the PM fanbase is made of people who listen almost exclusively to commercial (radio-friendly) music and those people often clash with people who are metal purists like me. I made the suggestion as a way to help avoiding fights between both gangs.

Second, if there are many people who say that nowadays PM is commercial, there must be a reason, isn't it?
Like we say, there is no smoke without fire.
And this reason is if you compare old PM albums and new ones, you instantly hear the difference.
Like modern Powermetal or not, it's your own choice. But it IS in general commercial and radio-friendly.
----
25.10.2009 - 13:52
Enissa

Written by Lord_Regnier on 25.10.2009 at 00:04

then I saw a comment about "the importance" of banning power metal from metal blogs coz the-now-days power metal is commercial, made me get pissed off and response to it, especially that I know many black metal fans who say this as well, thts it...

Since this part is targeted at me, allow me to reply in a clear way.

First, I never made the affirmation that we should ban Powermetal from metal boards. I said that I WONDER if we should do it. Which means I'm not entirely sure about this. It was more a question than anything else.
A part of the PM fanbase is made of people who listen almost exclusively to commercial (radio-friendly) music and those people often clash with people who are metal purists like me. I made the suggestion as a way to help avoiding fights between both gangs.

Second, if there are many people who say that nowadays PM is commercial, there must be a reason, isn't it?
Like we say, there is no smoke without fire.
And this reason is if you compare old PM albums and new ones, you instantly hear the difference.
Like modern Powermetal or not, it's your own choice. But it IS in general commercial and radio-friendly.

Again you didnt read closely, I said that I know many "Black Metal fans" not any ppl say that Power metal nowadays is commercial, ofc there is no smoke without fire, but these words are blinded by the hate that is between black metal fans and Power metal, its not so true, ok?
25.10.2009 - 15:46
The Night Wisher

Okay, first of all, I have to say "sorry for insulting a whole genre in this way" but to be clear I don't like black metal and I was harsh toward it by saying the F*** word ....
I am not just shitting and have nothing to do except entering threads about black metal and fuck up around, I have listened to BM albums like "Death Cult Armageddon" by Dimmu Borgir, "Nymphetamine" and "Midian" by CoF, and I enjoyed some songs, but in general I can't stand black metal.
And by the way I am not a fan of Power Metal as much as Symphonic metal, and Nightwish is true music not commercial stuff.
Who by the hell can do an album like Oceanborn in 1998 ? ain't it creativity to create such "Genre" with that album ?
Another point : Tuomas from Nightwish has put music for some BM songs done by "Darkwoods my Betrothed" and he's a fan of black metal.
for the one who said all of my favorites bands are shit : do you think that Megadeth is a shitty band ? they have the main influence on 90's death metal bands. And Epica ? the first band to have an extended use of orchestra and choir mixed with growls ? and have you listened to Nu.Clear.Dawn to judge them baby, have you listened to the Syrian Dream Theater , I guess you have to check Nu.Clear.Dawn before judging them ? and i wanna know where is the commercial elements in Saturnus songs ? please read well before saying that my favorite bands are commercial and crap.

I don't think that commercial bands would do such things...
25.10.2009 - 18:53
Lord_Regnier

Written by The Night Wisher on 25.10.2009 at 15:46

I have listened to BM albums like "Death Cult Armageddon" by Dimmu Borgir, "Nymphetamine" and "Midian" by CoF, and I enjoyed some songs, but in general I can't stand black metal.

Just a little note: if you like only Dimmu Borgir and CoF, when it comes to 'Black Metal', then it means you don't like any BM band, in fact. Those bands are not BM. They can be labeled as some kind of extreme metal but not strictly as BM.
If you were used to BM, you would know the difference. (no matter if you like those bands or not)
From my point of view, you're one of those people who believe they know BM only because they heard a few exteme metal bands of the most mainstream kind who share very little with BM.

By the way, 'symphonic metal' is not a genre. You can find symphonic stuff as well in Powermetal as in Black Metal or Death Metal, etc.
----
26.10.2009 - 01:20
Jiri

Okay, first of all, I have to say "sorry for insulting a whole genre in this way" but to be clear I don't like black metal and I was harsh toward it by saying the F*** word ....
I am not just shitting and have nothing to do except entering threads about black metal and fuck up around, I have listened to BM albums like "Death Cult Armageddon" by Dimmu Borgir, "Nymphetamine" and "Midian" by CoF, and I enjoyed some songs, but in general I can't stand black metal.
And by the way I am not a fan of Power Metal as much as Symphonic metal, and Nightwish is true music not commercial stuff.
Who by the hell can do an album like Oceanborn in 1998 ? ain't it creativity to create such "Genre" with that album ?
Another point : Tuomas from Nightwish has put music for some BM songs done by "Darkwoods my Betrothed" and he's a fan of black metal.
for the one who said all of my favorites bands are shit : do you think that Megadeth is a shitty band ? they have the main influence on 90's death metal bands. And Epica ? the first band to have an extended use of orchestra and choir mixed with growls ? and have you listened to Nu.Clear.Dawn to judge them baby, have you listened to the Syrian Dream Theater , I guess you have to check Nu.Clear.Dawn before judging them ? and i wanna know where is the commercial elements in Saturnus songs ? please read well before saying that my favorite bands are commercial and crap.

Night Wisher, think about what you are saying. It is not universally understood that "Oceanborn" is a fantastic album. This is your opinion. A lot of people do not like it as much as you don't like "Death Cult Armageddon". Granted, Nightwish was the first "metal" band to have an operatic front-woman. But symphonic elements were being utilized far before bands like Nightwish. Guess what genre was doing that well before Nightwish. Thats right, Nightwisher, black metal. Celtic Frost, Emperor, Arcturus, Limbonic Art, Korova, Troll, and Obtained Enslavement were all black metal bands using symphonies in their music. Hell, even Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth had symphonic elements before Nightwish. Toumas, being a black metal fan, probably took the symphony idea from Emperor! He then thought it could make money by applying the symphonic elements to power metal with a female vocalist. And Epica? First to combine choirs, orchestras and death growls? Yeah right, dude! Epica reared its ugly head in 2003 for crying out loud! What about Therion, or Haggard who have been doing that since the early ninties? Get your damned facts straight, kid!
26.10.2009 - 16:20
The Night Wisher

Written by Jiri on 26.10.2009 at 01:20

Night Wisher, think about what you are saying. It is not universally understood that "Oceanborn" is a fantastic album. This is your opinion. A lot of people do not like it as much as you don't like "Death Cult Armageddon". Granted, Nightwish was the first "metal" band to have an operatic front-woman. But symphonic elements were being utilized far before bands like Nightwish. Guess what genre was doing that well before Nightwish. Thats right, Nightwisher, black metal. Celtic Frost, Emperor, Arcturus, Limbonic Art, Korova, Troll, and Obtained Enslavement were all black metal bands using symphonies in their music. Hell, even Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth had symphonic elements before Nightwish. Toumas, being a black metal fan, probably took the symphony idea from Emperor! He then thought it could make money by applying the symphonic elements to power metal with a female vocalist. And Epica? First to combine choirs, orchestras and death growls? Yeah right, dude! Epica reared its ugly head in 2003 for crying out loud! What about Therion, or Haggard who have been doing that since the early ninties? Get your damned facts straight, kid!

Well, Epica or you can say After Forever created a style that combines a lot of genres with symphonic elements while Therion and Haggard used to be pure death metal bands in 1990 (I can't remember) and I have the Demo of haggard which is pure death and yeah I've seen a song by Therion which has pure death metal playing , while Epica and After Forever (with Mark) combines a lot of genres (Gothic , Power , Progressive) with symphonic elements and growls ....And you didn't answer me about Nu.Clear.Dawn and Saturnus which you considered commercial ...
26.10.2009 - 17:50
Shankao

Another joke in Black Metal....

Why Ice Dale are going to spend his time in this?? Who knows!....!
26.10.2009 - 17:55
Shankao

Written by BudDa on 22.10.2009 at 19:56

Written by bard on 22.10.2009 at 19:31

Is it just me, or is the writing in this post cheesier than an Alestorm update?

Haha. I was about to say the same thing. That line..blah blah blah.."two influential Norwegian musicians needing to express our primitive side, straight out Ov HELL" sounds like a bad commercial for pay per view..

Hehehe, and what's about Shagrath's "unquenchable thirst to explore my darkest beast"..... As I said.... a Joke!
26.10.2009 - 18:01
InnerSelf
proofread free
Haven't this discussion gone so far.....
if one listens to any kind of MUSIC heshe shouldn't give a @#$% about what other people think about the music they like
on the other hand , to go around saying that power metal is not commercial ....... well , you are mistaken
even if it makes you feel good most bands play power metal because it is easy to listen to and it makes money not that power metal bands don't have talent but I don't know what they feel exactly about their music

another thing .. Epica are one of the "most" commercial bands and you can't argue with that

Saturnus ARE NOT commercial
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
26.10.2009 - 19:01
BudDa

Written by Shankao on 26.10.2009 at 17:55

Written by BudDa on 22.10.2009 at 19:56

Written by bard on 22.10.2009 at 19:31

Is it just me, or is the writing in this post cheesier than an Alestorm update?

Haha. I was about to say the same thing. That line..blah blah blah.."two influential Norwegian musicians needing to express our primitive side, straight out Ov HELL" sounds like a bad commercial for pay per view..

Hehehe, and what's about Shagrath's "unquenchable thirst to explore my darkest beast"..... As I said.... a Joke!

LOL..yeah, u wonder..like he hasn't already done that with Dimmu..
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.

Hits total: 8119 | This month: 7