Metal Storm logo
Porcupine Tree interview (10/2009)

With: Richard Barbieri [keyboards]
Conducted by: Ivor (in person)
Published: 24.10.2009

Band profile:

Porcupine Tree

For reasons known only to us, and reasons mostly beyond our control, 2008 saw us at Metal Storm make quite many video interviews at Hellfest Festival of which eventually few saw the light. Although, I had this one transcribed quite a while ago it remained shelved until there was no hope of video interview being published. A lot of time had passed, and it just sort of didn't matter anymore. However, I'm reluctant to leave it at that and so I give you the chat with Porcupine Tree's keyboard player Richard Barbieri recorded on June 21st 2008 at Hellfest a couple of hours before the band hit the stage.

Richard Barbieri

Welcome!

Thanks!

How long ago did you arrive here?

We got here yesterday.

And have you seen any bands or something?

No, no, we've only just been here a couple of hours and we usually like just to stay in the dressing room and get really bored before we go on.

Oh, have you had a look around here?

No, not yet. (Laughs.)

Will you be doing that?

Yeah! I think once we come off stage and we can relax a little bit and we'll have a look around.

Okay, so you are right now preparing for the performance?

Yeah, yeah! I think usually for us to have some kind of tedium or boredom beforehand, not too much information, you know, is better.

To lower the stress, right?

Kind of. You just prepare better, I think.

What makes a show special for you?

Well, the audience has a big part of it. Also it depends on sound, how it sounds on stage, how the interaction is with the group. We're surprised, we didn't think that we were a festival kind of band because we like to have our own production and control everything ourselves. But we've done quite a few festivals now and we really enjoy it.

So, the festivals are so to say new thing for you?

Fairly new, yeah. I mean, last year [2007] we did a few. We started with Download in the UK which is quite a metal festival and we were a bit concerned that we were not quite the same as the other groups. But we went on and the crowd really liked us and it went well. So, we were surprised.

How do you feel to be here? Hellfest is a rather heavy festival as well.

Exactly! It's exactly the same kind of feeling as Download. So, we're a bit apprehensive because, you know, I'm sure the audience probably might not expect what we're going to play. There are heavy elements to our music.

Yeah, definitely!

But also there's a lot of quite subtle, ambient almost, sections. So, we'll see how it goes.

Do you plan to surprise your crowd?

I think for people who haven't seen us, they'd probably be surprised, yeah. For our fans – there might be some of our fans here today – they probably won't be surprised because they all know the material very well. We played six months of gigs last year [2007]. So, they've probably seen us quite a few times. It'll just be different and it's more of a challenge because, you know, like I said we don't have our films, we don't have our production, our lighting. We've just got to go up there and do it.

You have the DVD Arriving Somewhere... released, right? How is performing a simple concert different from performing it for a DVD recording?

Wow... When you record for DVD there's a lot of pressure because your performance is being recorded and filmed. So, you're very aware. Everything you do is documented, you know.

Well, you are documented with photos and sometimes...

Photos are easy because it doesn't matter. But you've got to play well. Because if you don't play well and that's captured on sound and film then it's not good. So, you really have to be concentrated and you've got to be kind of experienced to know how to cope with that.

You are releasing quite many bonuses and exclusive and limited stuff.

Sure!

Why do you do that?

We do that because usually when we record an album there's a lot more material than actually can go on the album. And because it was recorded at the same time and, you know, we think it's good material. It didn't go on the album because it didn't work with the general sound or theme. But we still like the material. So, we want to release it, we feel proud of it. And you know, the fans always want to hear something new.

Yeah, definitely! So, you're basically releasing an EP or something.

Exactly, we did an EP.

But tell me, do you think that today's music world needs bonus materials? Like, you did release Fear of a Blank Planet on DVD?

Oh yeah! The one like with 5.1 surround.

Yes, yes, yes!

Well, you know, I'm from another year and I'm just used to releasing an album and that's it. That's the album, no change to it or anything. But I think now there is a demand, you know, with the technology people have. Especially for our kind of music 5.1 surround is quite important. We got a Grammy nomination for our last album [Fear of a Blank Planet], for the surrounds, and I think we're seen as probably one of the best bands for doing this type of format. Because I think the recording is quite complex. Well, you know, people buy it. If there was no market we wouldn't release it, I'm sure.

Yeah, I got one by accident, actually. The shop simply sent me the wrong one. Because I don't have the equipment.

No, I don't either. I did only hear it once. That's it!

Well, that's one more than me!

Yeah! (Laughs.)

Steven [Wilson] has a lot of side projects. How does it affect Porcupine Tree and it's music and writing process?

Well, I think it's healthy for Porcupine Tree because it's important that everybody can leave the band for a while and go and do other things that interest them. You know, otherwise Porcupine Tree would become a burden, it would become boring. There's so many other kinds of music he's interested in and he's like a kind of workaholic.

Yeah, I noticed that!

Unbelievable work ethic which surprises me, even. I've known him a long time but I'm amazed at the amount of music that he can record. But, that's what he loves and that's what keeps him feeling fresh in his approach to music. Likewise for us, we'll make our solo albums or we'll go and play with other musicians. It's important and then, you know, six months later you come back to the group and you feel good about it.

Then you have fresh ideas as well.

Exactly! That's the point.

Does performing live affect your music?

How do you mean?

Umm, I don't know. Maybe you get some sort of inspiration from the performance.

Yeah, I think some of us more than others. For example Gavin, the drummer, he likes to improvise a lot live and it's very much a performance for him which usually is different every night. Personally, for me, I like to try to recreate the album.

As closely as possible?

As closely as possible. That's my background, that's what I'm used to. Whereas Gavin's background is more based in kind of Jazz and improvisation. So, for him the performance is something that you do each night and you give something different. For me, it's more of a concentration thing where I'm trying to get across the sounds and subtleties of the album.

Richard Barbieri

Does... Ah... forgot what I wanted to ask.

(Laughs.)

How would you describe right now the atmosphere around here?

Around here? It seems to be a good atmosphere. It's a nice place, I think. The weather's great. So, it should be good. Most festivals this year have been with rain and wind and terrible conditions. So, that's nice.

How do you like performing in bright light?

I don't like it really. I like intimate darkness and control. But, like I said, this is a challenge and this is where we've got to prove ourselves, you know. We've got to go up there. And today, we're only a four-piece, as well. Normally we have an extra guitarist but he was flying back from America so often and our set is only 50 minutes, so, we're going to do this as a four-piece which is even probably more interesting than, more of a challenge. Yeah, seems great. Just feel a little bit like we're not part of it because we haven't got the same kind of image as everyone else, so to say.

I hope the crowd remedies that.

Well, that's the thing. Who knows.

Well, the crowd seems fine so far.

If the crowd doesn't like it, we'll still find that kind of funny. It won't actually bother us. So, that will be another experience for us. Depends what they throw, you know.

I doubt that they'll throw anything. So, do I get it right that your word for this festival is challenge?

Yeah, definitely. Definitely a challenge. You know, when we do a tour it's quite easy. We have everything under our own control and our own environment and we have the whole day to plan everything. Here we're just going to go up on stage, check everything is working and then we're on.

Ah, I remembered the question. Do you test new songs live? Like songs that have not yet been released?

Yeah, we did, with the last album [Fear of Blank Planet]. We went out and played the whole album...

Yeah, right, I heard that!

...before we had recorded it.

And did you change anything after that?

Yeah, we changed a few things. One track didn't make it on the album and the new track came in but apart from that five of the six tracks that we played live are on the album. But it helped us to find the right arrangement. Because what happens usually is you make an album and then you go off on a tour. Four months later you realise there's a better way of playing the track, you know, there's a better solo, or there's a better idea, or better sound. But...

Okay, seems we're running out of time. Any last words?

Yes! It'll be a big challenge. (Laughs.) And I'll be very interested to see what happens!

Yeah, I'm interested as well! It was nice to meet you!

Thanks!

Posted on 24.10.2009 by I shoot people.

Sometimes, I also write about it.

And one day I'm going to start a band. We're going to be playing pun-rock.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 175 users
25.10.2009 - 00:12
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Quote:
If the crowd doesn't like it, we'll still find that kind of funny. It won't actually bother us. So, that will be another experience for us. Depends what they throw, you know.

A good attitude to have... is there anyone that was there that can tell me how they did?

nice interview, I'm glad it saw the light of day.
25.10.2009 - 02:39
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Nice interview man, I enjoyed reading that
----
25.10.2009 - 12:26
BloodTears
ANA-thema
That was actually funny lol Interesting too.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
25.10.2009 - 15:18
Corwin

Nice getting an interview from Richard. I don't think i've read any interview with him.
Nice one too!

I'm really waiting for the Madrid show next month. I will be seeing them for the first time.
----
26.10.2009 - 00:15
Case #2010920195

I saw them just under 2 weeks ago, for the first time. They were imho ridiculously good. I had high expectations, but they surpassed even those
One of the best concerts i've been to so far.

oh...nice interview indeed. Nice to see an interview with Richard. Most PT related interviews I come across are with Steven Wilson.
----
It was only when I got funky, that the monkey seemed a junky.
18.11.2009 - 10:56
Wakanaboo

Quote:
Ah, I remembered the question. Do you test new songs live? Like songs that have not yet been released?

Yeah, we did, with the last album [Fear of Blank Planet]. We went out and played the whole album...

Yeah, right, I heard that!

...before we had recorded it.

aah, reminds me of pink floyd
----
_bleh!_
03.01.2010 - 02:30
Njord
njord
Quote:
Well, I think it's healthy for Porcupine Tree because it's important that everybody can leave the band for a while and go and do other things that interest them. You know, otherwise Porcupine Tree would become a burden, it would become boring.

Simple formula to acquire band longevity without many conflicts.
His arguments are very close to the sonority of the band: entertaining and amusing, full of simple answers to complex questions.
Great job Ivor!

Hits total: 10184 | This month: 23