Band: Pyramido
Album: Sand
Release date: May 2009

01. 2 Years 8 Months 21 Days
02. Calculating Doom
03. Carry Us to War
04. Cutthroat
05. Above Our Head

A howling wind blows an endless storm of sand in your face. A caravan of thoughtless, coarse stoner-riffs appears on the horizon. Your feet slowly sink into the quicksand. The caravan's captain relentlessly shrieks his commands, rhythmically and demoniacally goading his subordinates. You are in Pyramido's desert and you are in deep shit.

Sand is Pyramido's first full-length and a damn enjoyable one at that. I'll mention Sleep and Electric Wizard now, so the obligatory band-referencing is done and dealt with. Remains nothing but rhythmically entrancing, blazing and scorching, marijuana-driven (clichés 2, Lucas 0) stoooooooner. It is sometimes a little difficult to tell where each song ends and a new one begins, but seriously, who cares? A good sense of combining monotony with dynamics (how odd that may sound) is all you need, and whether that ends in five ten-minute tracks or one fifty-minute track, I couldn't care less. And if I could, I would. Whether you're listening to "Calculating Doom", "Cutthroat" or "2 Years 8 Months 21 Days", the stonerriffic and desperate tortured screaming are there for your masochistic listening pleasure.

It may not be a surprising listen at first, but it's pretty damn addictive. You will find this doing its hazy rounds in your CD-player round more often than you initially expected. A great release of completely unpretentious, focused and determined, dry as fuck, catchy metal. Fuck yes. Mr. Elephant will trample your soul.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 31.10.2009 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 62 users
31.10.2009 - 21:36
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
I like the cover art.
31.10.2009 - 22:49
Who'sRichard?

The first paragraph of this review is great. I'll have to check it out.

Hits total: 4139 | This month: 5