Metal Storm logo
Best guitar team in metal

Original post

Posted by Angelic Storm, 03.11.2009 - 19:12
I've always been a huge fan of twin lead guitars in metal, and I love a good trade off between two very different styles of solos! My fave guitar tag team is Glenn Tipton and K.K. Downing of Judas Priest, but I love many more. From more modern bands, I really love the duo of Per Nilsson and Jonas Kjellgren from Scar Symmetry. Those guys have some serious chops!

So, who is your fave guitar team in metal?

Poll

Who is your favorite guitar team?

Murray/Smith/Gers (Iron Maiden)
Other (Please specify)
Tipton/Downing (Judas Priest)
Mustaine/Friedman, etc...(Megadeth)
Hanemann/King (Slayer)
Schuldiner/Murphy, Rozz, etc...(Death)
Weikath/Hansen, Grapow, etc..(Helloween)
Shermann/Denner (King Diamond)
Holt/Hunolt (Exodus)

Total votes: 131
28.11.2009 - 19:18
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Warlock84 on 28.11.2009 at 17:58

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Amott brothers from Arch Enemy. They are both incredible musicians.

I'm surprised at that too, and they are one of favourite guitar teams. Christopher is more the virtuoso, and a shredder. Whereas Michael is more melodic, uses the wah a lot, and has a bit more of a signature style. I think they are both great, and compliment each other perfectly!

Michael was also in a great partnership with Bill Steer, especially on "Heartwork". I'm was sad he left the band when he did.
01.12.2009 - 18:08
Angel Of Mercy
Li and totman can play live, it's just that totmans a raging drunk most of the time, which is a shame.
----
Your time will come.
24.12.2009 - 03:07
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
For me James and Kirk with Jason Newsted (is he a leas guitarist?)
24.12.2009 - 09:15
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
A good portion of my favourite bands are single guitarist bands, I so I guess I'd have to go with Shane Clark & Justin Hagberg of 3 Inches, they know how to make some great riffs.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.12.2009 - 18:29
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Even though I'm not that much into Megadeth, I think Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman have contributed a lot to the metal scene, so I'd have to go with them.
26.12.2009 - 15:10
Sulzer
Tipton / Downing without doubts. Other pairs also nice . But Priest's guys wrote and played much more material , than others.
From Sad Wings till Nostradamus .
30.12.2009 - 00:16
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Hmmm... difficult between Smith/Murray/Gers and Tipton/Downing.. Priest is my all time favorite band but S/M/G do far more complex stuff... but then again they're 3, so i guess my vote goes to Glen & Ken. rock hard ride free motherfuckers
29.06.2010 - 19:51
Black_Sheep
Michael and Christopher Amott of Arch Enemy

Maybe not extremely technical, but they play with feeling and joy, and you can see and hear that.
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
29.06.2010 - 20:16
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Irritable Ted on 29.11.2009 at 20:02

Have to go for KK/Glenn as the best, Painkiller is the perfect example of duelling leads. Then Weikath/Grapow.

Also, why no mention of Hansen/Richter?

Why Weikath/Grapow over Weikath/Hansen? The longer Helloween went on with Roland, the more he took up the lead playing role. I feel the soloing was more equal when Kai was in the band...

Henjo is a great guitarist, definitely better than Kai. But Ive always been a fan of Kai's wild, chaotic style of soloing. xD

@Black_Sheep: Christopher Ammot is a very techincal player. Michael is much more straightforward though.
30.06.2010 - 01:18
Other.

Meaning Amott/Steer. Amott brothers are great, but I like Bill Steer more than Chris Amott. Necroticism all the way.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
01.07.2010 - 22:46
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
Most of my favorite guitarists are single guitarists who play with a keyboarded companion like John Petrucci/Jordan Ruddess, Michael Romeo/Michael Pinella, and Timo Tolkki/Jens Johansson.

There are two guitar duos that I really liked for awhile. One was Mikael Akerfeldt and Peter Wichers from Opeth, and the other was Jon Schaffer and Larry Tarnowski from Iced Earth. Those tandems had great chemistry together.
----
Proud owner of many erased pages.
02.07.2010 - 06:25
MetalFist
Account deleted
Im going to go with Kirk and James for this one, as they have been working together for over 20 years, and that in itself is a massive achievement, along with creating heaps of good (and bad) albums. If i couldnt vote for them, i'd say King and Hanemann from Slayer.
02.07.2010 - 13:31
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Irritable Ted on 01.07.2010 at 21:07
I got in to Helloween long after Kai had left, so Master Of The Rings was the first taste that I had of their stuff. I just feel that that album and Time Of The Oath sum up Helloween for me. The sound of the two playing at the same time is what power metal means to me.

I'm going to say something controversial now. I don't think the Keeper albums are that good. I far prefer the Andi Deris stuff.

I got into Helloween in 90/91, and Walls Of Jericho was the first album I heard by them. Kai had left by that time, but they only had one album without him, so I was totally into the Kai era stuff. Time Of The Oath is an awesome album, and maybe my fave of the Andi Deris era. Its probably the most Keeper-ish sounding album apart from the 1st two Keeper albums.

Yeah well, Im a massive fan of the original 2 Keeper albums, but I also love a lot of the Andi stuff too. Most people either just like the Hansen/Kiske era, or the Deris one. I just love Helloween. lol
03.07.2010 - 14:09
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Irritable Ted on 03.07.2010 at 12:23
If Kai hadn't have left we wouldn't have got Gamma Ray or Iron Savior. So its win win.

Thats very true! Its like if Dave Mustaine hadnt have gotten booted out of Metallica, there'd be no Megadeth. Gamma Ray is a great band. Iron Saviour was just a side project for Kai though, and he left the band quite a while ago.

As for lead guitar/keyboard partnerships, my fave is definitely Michael Romeo and Michael Pinella. xD
04.07.2010 - 14:43
Alexi93
None of them, Alexi and Roope of cob
03.08.2010 - 22:26
Syn Gates
Kirk/james of metallica; matt/corey of trivium; or zachy v or syn gates of avenged sevenfold
03.04.2011 - 23:26
blacktooth85
Mustaine/ Friedman
04.04.2011 - 11:41
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Irritable Ted on 29.11.2009 at 20:02

Have to go for KK/Glenn as the best, Painkiller is the perfect example of duelling leads. Then Weikath/Grapow.

But you can't rule out the illusion of playing by Li/Totman. Solos sound good on CD, yes I know they all sound the same, shame its all a studio trick and they can't do it in reality.

Also, why no mention of Hansen/Richter?

Li/Totman is not a studio gimmick they really can play at those speeds live. they are the real deal but as Angel of Mercy said Totman is a raging drunk and so he fucks up alot live nowadays from what i understand, im surprised DF still let him do that. i had the pleasure of seeing them live back in 2005 right after Inhuman Rampage came out, i even managed to get up to the front row barricade at the decent size venue they played at here in Houston and they blew my fukn mind seeing them play at that speed about 5'-7' in front of me.

on another note, which happens to be the reason for this area, my fave guitar team is a close tie between Alexi Laiho and Alexander Kuoppola in earlier Children of Bodom and Alexi Laiho and Roope Latvala for Sinergy's Suicide By My side album...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

04.04.2011 - 11:52
Yasmine
Judas Priest, Primal Fear, Death off the top of my vicodin filled head. lol
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
05.04.2011 - 20:51
Yasmine
Yea, they are terribly sloppy live, definitly not a top contender here.

Versailles/Garcia from Agent Steel are quite awesome, great seeing them play "Kontrol" live.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
07.04.2011 - 07:24
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Tipton/Downing for sure. Few guitar solo's are memerable for me, and nearly all of them are by these guys.
07.04.2011 - 07:34
Yasmine
Written by Guest on 07.04.2011 at 07:24

Tipton/Downing for sure. Few guitar solo's are memerable for me, and nearly all of them are by these guys.

Really? I remember the solos the most outta everything, but they're among the best as theyre developed a lot of what we have as twin guitars in metal. And I love Primal Fear for making it even better, like...The solos in Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove, Nuclear Fire, and Under your Spell. Andy and all the guys, especially Black on the THem and Conspiracy albums did stuff I love, especially the Sleepless Nights leads.
----
07.04.2011 - 07:46
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 07.04.2011 at 07:34

Really? I remember the solos the most outta everything, but they're among the best as theyre developed a lot of what we have as twin guitars in metal. And I love Primal Fear for making it even better, like...The solos in Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove, Nuclear Fire, and Under your Spell. Andy and all the guys, especially Black on the THem and Conspiracy albums did stuff I love, especially the Sleepless Nights leads.

I'm not familiar with Primal Fear, but my interst is perked. I will proceed to check them out.
07.04.2011 - 08:02
Yasmine
Written by Guest on 07.04.2011 at 07:46

Written by Yasmine on 07.04.2011 at 07:34

I'm not familiar with Primal Fear, but my interst is perked. I will proceed to check them out.

Their singer will remind you of Halford at least a little, I Would start with Nuclear Fire, Mind Control, and Scared Illusion for the heavier stuff. For the Priest like ballads try Bleed for me (Nice he can sing both styles well.), and Under your Spell, nice dual guitar part in this one.
----
07.04.2011 - 11:38
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Primal Fear are awesome, and there's a lot of great solos in their stuff. Henny's interplay with Stefan on the "Armageddon" solo is a memorable example. The problem with Primal Fear, is they've struggled throughout their career to keep a stable guitar partnership, as it changes so often, its almost like Spinal Tap was with drummers. Aside from the first album, which had Tom Naumann doing all the guitars himself (though Kai Hansen played 2 solos on that album), their career has been like a revolving door for guitarists. lol First it was Tom with Stefan Leibing, then Leibing/Henny Wolter, then back to Naumann/Leibing, then back to Wolter/Leibing again, then Henny with Magnus Karlsson, and finally, Magnus with Alexander Beyrodt, which is the current PF guitar partnership. There is some amazing guitar work in Primal Fear, but Ive always wished they could hold onto a stable guitar partnership for more than 5 minutes. lol
07.04.2011 - 13:35
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Valentin B on 30.12.2009 at 00:16

Hmmm... difficult between Smith/Murray/Gers and Tipton/Downing.. Priest is my all time favorite band but S/M/G do far more complex stuff... but then again they're 3, so i guess my vote goes to Glen & Ken. rock hard ride free motherfuckers

yup, i still agree with this post made many long months ago.

after all who invented the whole "double guitar" sound in metal?
07.04.2011 - 13:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Valentin B on 07.04.2011 at 13:35
yup, i still agree with this post made many long months ago.

after all who invented the whole "double guitar" sound in metal?

KK and Glenn will always be my fave guitar duo. All of the other guitar teams Ive listed and love have a huge debt to them. And their styles compliment each other so well. They are the originals, and to me, still the best.
07.04.2011 - 18:19
lopper
Jesper and Glenn from In Flames! just listen to the jester race and whoracle, two of the best albums ever made
----
Sing a song of living before everybody dies
07.04.2011 - 18:41
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Well, the 80s guitar duo of Dave Murray and Adrian Smith (from Killers to Seventh Son...).
07.04.2011 - 19:46
Guib
Thrash Talker
For me its: Kyle Shutt/John J. D. Cronise of The Sword (stoner band)

they fucking rock
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here