08. Destiny Unknown
09. Ten Plagues Of Egypt
10. Dying Alone
11. Blown Away
12. End Of Pain
13. One Heart
14. Unchained Someday
15. For Love

In my time as a reviewer I've received a lot of CDs I enjoyed, but only few that I keep on listening to regularly. The one album I reviewed and still listen to most is without a doubt Dawn Of Destinys Rebellion In Heaven (you can find the review here). Being as it is I was quite excited when I opened an envelope and found Human Fragility inside. Although my first thought was "Ok, it's good, however not quite as good as it's predecessor.", it soon became apparent that as with the previous album, Human Fragility starts out as a great disc on initial playing and then gets better and better!

Now for those not lucky enough to own Rebellion In Heaven; Dawn Of Destiny play female fronted power metal. If you don't like this style DOD won't change your opinion of it, you won't like them either. If you do enjoy the style on the other hand, oh goody! What a treat you're in for!

Angelic and greatly varied vocal work sung to majestic melodies, heavy speed metal and even thrash parts, including blazing double-bass drumming and growls every now and then, keyboards that switch between atmospheric background and short but effective foreground parts. Emotional guitar solos and strong bass parts are just as much a part of their typical sound as the varied songwriting, the slight progressions in the songs and some amazingly catchy and addictive choruses. Two guest vocalists also help enriching the album. "Unborn Child" is graced with Bernie Weiss of Axxis, while Ian Perry of Elegy makes a fantastic appearance on the title track.

Dawn Of Destiny don't bring anything new to the genre they're playing. Sure, they infuse their melodic power metal with harsher and faster elements on some songs while sweetening it up (not unsimilar to Lunatica) on other tracks, but this is nothing that hasn't been done before. On the other hand I've always said a band doesn't always have to be innovative to the max. Simply being better than other bands doing the same thing is good enough!

By now I've given Human Fragility quite some playing time and still it's getting just a tiny bit better from spin to spin. Still I can't say if it's better than it's awesome predecessor or not. It has less of the uber-catchy choruses but on the other hand it's heavier and more varied. Regardless of which of the two is better though, I can say for sure that this is by far the best female-fronted power metal album I have heard this year.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Bas | 05.11.2009

Comments

Comments: 24   Visited by: 171 users
05.11.2009 - 13:17
annodomini

Bas you made my day and are the hero of the day D

Totally agree on this review, however RIH is still my favorite. Human Fragility is more similar to their debut "Begins". And when it comes to originality I have to say, that DOD has some originality, when it comes to song structures. Some unexpected turns makes this album also progressive. This band needs to get a bigger label and blow the Female Fronted world off...
----
the riddle wants to be...
05.11.2009 - 14:36
GT
Coffee!!
Really sounds like an album I have to own
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
05.11.2009 - 15:30
Rating: 7
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Third line in your review you made a typo "Rebellion in Heavy"

Anyway, I enjoyed the album myself and I completely agree that it is heavier and more varied than before. When I first heard the first track, I almost wondered whether they've gone Thrash or not lol

However, i still think the choruses are quite catchy and the rating a bit too high

would recommend it to anyone into female fronted bands
----
loves 小巫
05.11.2009 - 15:53
Rifai
Celtic Guardian
Loved the album and i also think that this is by far the best female-fronted power metal album I have heard this year. Keep up the good work !
05.11.2009 - 16:06
Baz Anderson

Samples on the myspace sound as generic as hell.
05.11.2009 - 16:22
Rating: 9
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by annodomini on 05.11.2009 at 13:17

Bas you made my day and are the hero of the day D
I have to say, that DOD has some originality

Lol, thanks
Well I'm not saying their songwriting is unoriginal (I actually gave them an 8 for originality) but just the way they play female-fronted power metal has been done my many other bands before
Written by GT on 05.11.2009 at 14:36

Let us know how you like it after checking it out
Written by Ag Fox on 05.11.2009 at 15:30

Third line in your review you made a typo "Rebellion in Heavy"
However, i still think the choruses are quite catchy and the rating a bit too high

Thanks for pointing that out, I edited it just a moment ago.
Well I was first planning to rate an 8.2 then 8.5, 8.6 and finally an 8.9 lol. Like I said in the review, it grew on me a bit more after every spin
Written by Baz Anderson on 05.11.2009 at 16:06

Nah, the two song samples they have on their myspace aren't really from two of their best songs imo, but still the album is damn good and like I said it's an album that pretty much groes on you. Take it from the one who listened to the complete CD 9 times to give it a fair review
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
05.11.2009 - 16:32
Baz Anderson

Written by Bas on 05.11.2009 at 16:22

Written by Baz Anderson on 05.11.2009 at 16:06

Nah, the two song samples they have on their myspace aren't really from two of their best songs imo, but still the album is damn good and like I said it's an album that pretty much groes on you. Take it from the one who listened to the complete CD 9 times to give it a fair review

No, you see this is one of the worst mistakes you can make.
If you listen to an album over and over again you become so familiar with it you start to make yourself like it a lot more than you would normally without realising it.
I've done it a few times in the past - listened to an album a ton of times I know I'm supposed to be reviewing, and get so familiar with it and caught up in the moment with it that you are just blinded by how familiar you are with it to actually give a fair and level-headed review.

That's probably what you've done whether you realise now or some time down the line. 9's aren't to be handed out loosely.
05.11.2009 - 16:37
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by Baz Anderson on 05.11.2009 at 16:32

That's probably what you've done whether you realise now or some time down the line. 9's aren't to be handed out loosely.

Relax mate, even if it may be hard to believe for you I actually know what I'm doing.
----
05.11.2009 - 16:38
Baz Anderson

Written by Bas on 05.11.2009 at 16:37

Written by Baz Anderson on 05.11.2009 at 16:32

Relax mate, even if it may be hard to believe for you I actually know what I'm doing.

Haha, I'm just speaking from experience.
05.11.2009 - 16:53
annodomini

Well I believe that there is two sides of this rating.

Firstly the rating is correct because, most cab agree that this is one of the best Female Fronted alums this year (After Madder Mortem and Epica IMO).

But on the other hand, you also said that RIH was better for you, but it has a lower rating from you, so it is some misunderstanding

But all in all review is 100 percent true.
----
05.11.2009 - 17:04
Bas
Retired Staff
Not quite, actually I don't know which album I prefer, second objectively speaking this album is more varied, so its score deserves to be a little bit higher and last but not least if I'd write the review of Rebellion In Heaven today I'd probably rate it higher as well, lol
----
05.11.2009 - 17:08
annodomini

Well there is an interesting case. RIH is very different from "Begins" and this one. I believe HF is what we can call Dawn Of Destiny style, and RIH was some exception, an ultra catchy Sympho Metal album, that maybe they dont try to repeat. So is goes that those two albums are very different, and it can be rated same high, just from different point of views.

And have you already heard their debut?
----
05.11.2009 - 17:12
Bas
Retired Staff
No unfortunately I still didn't listen to it. I don't listen to that much music at the moment and when I do it's usually stuff I'll review or some old favourites. It's still on my to-listen list though
----
05.11.2009 - 17:25
annodomini

It has also some very interesting stuff

And also this is where Quality means Quantity. But i believe now they need a break to compose a very good album again
----
05.11.2009 - 17:39
Jon

Actually I would quite like to own an album called Rebellion In Heavy. Lordi will probably make one some day. In fact we should probably all start posting suggestions for awful punning song titles they could have into the shoutbox.
----
A mythology is a religion different enough from your own for it's absurdity to be obvious.
06.11.2009 - 03:20
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I think their debut is really average =/
----
loves 小巫
06.11.2009 - 11:57
annodomini

Written by Ag Fox on 06.11.2009 at 03:20

I think their debut is really average =/

You are maybe right, but it also had some wonderful songs as "Healing touch" or "Break the Silence". And also there was the most Trash elements to date. I would give it a 7. But i will never forget how stunned I was when I first heard "Begins"
----
06.11.2009 - 15:40
Ag Fox
Angel No More
My first contact with the band was RIH, which was really good, hence I wasn't v impressed when I heard Begins
----
loves 小巫
07.11.2009 - 18:34
GT
Coffee!!
Written by Bas on 05.11.2009 at 16:22

Written by GT on 05.11.2009 at 14:36

Let us know how you like it after checking it out

About half way through it at time of writing. All I can say is: damn. This is really good and so far I absolutely agree with your review. I'll have to check out the rest of their work.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
09.11.2009 - 01:16
DiegoTheKey

Hello all, as a member of the band I really appreciate that you discuss our album and us like you do it here. This shows that there is interest in the music we are doing. Enjoy our music, enjoy "Begins", "Rebellion In Heaven" and "Human Fragility". Yes, all of them are different from each other, but all of them are special. If you really take your time to listen very carefully to the songs, you will recognize that they are special. Keep on rocking
----
Do we have the right?
To decide what's wrong or right?
Mortal still we are
Despairing of our own fragility
09.11.2009 - 01:23
DiegoTheKey

Do we have the right?
Mortal still we are

from the song "Human Fragility" on "Human Fragility"
----
Do we have the right?
Mortal still we are
09.11.2009 - 12:54
BudDa

I listened to half this album-up until Destiny Unknown. I found it abit generic and boring. When u say "by far the best female-fronted power metal album I have heard this year" which records are you comparing it to?!
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
13.11.2009 - 00:02
Rating: 6
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Ahh, well I tried a few times, and I just don't see this album being anything more than for fans of the genre.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
29.12.2009 - 16:17
Rating: 10
zarakkazak

Best power band of the decade, without any single doubt

Hits total: 7508 | This month: 6