Metal Storm logo
Lyrics submission

25.07.2006 - 00:03
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
I decided to create a new topic instead of posting my questions in the "quick questions" thread so that anybody with problems with the "Submit lyrics" feature can discuss them here. While I was posting some Tierra Santa lyrics, I had some doubts which IMO will not be very difficult for the Mods to answer.

First question: What about the copyright in the lyrics? I do not want Metalstorm to be involved in a legal problem for copyright reasons. For example, Gorgoroth asked website Dark Lyrics to remove their lyrics from their gorgoroth.html page. I would not like Metalstorm to be in such a situation.

Second question: Should we translate non-English lyrics if we are able to, or are there specific threads for lyrics translation? Will Ivan add a feature next to the song lyrics where we can post our translation to English?

Third and last question: Let us suppose that the lyrics we want to submit are ENTIRELY WRITTEN IN CAPS in the band's homepage, as well as in the album booklet. Should we rewrite them for aesthetical reasons?

Thanks in advance!
25.07.2006 - 00:27
wrathchild

Written by Taktsekte on 25.07.2006 at 00:03

Second question: Should we translate non-English lyrics if we are able to, or are there specific threads for lyrics translation? Will Ivan add a feature next to the song lyrics where we can post our translation to English?

No, lyrics are an exception, you should write them in the language used in the album.

Quote:

Third and last question: Let us suppose that the lyrics we want to submit are ENTIRELY WRITTEN IN CAPS in the band's homepage, as well as in the album booklet. Should we rewrite them for aesthetical reasons?

Yes, rewriting them is the way to go. You can try selecting the whole text and change the case in your text editor.

As for the copyright question, that's a good point, to which I'm not qualified to answer...
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
25.07.2006 - 00:46
Jeff
Freaky Admin

With Word... select the text and then push on Shift + F3... you'll see... that's magic

About the copyrights... well if a band has a problem with the fact that we have their lyrics here... they will nicely contact us and ask to remove it... so until this day... no problem
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
25.07.2006 - 01:44
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Thanks for the replies, Jeff and wrathchild! I hope Metalstorm will always be able to handle with copyright without problems, and never involved in any kvlt small penis complex: http://www.darklyrics.com/g/gorgoroth.html
05.10.2006 - 02:43
zoot

Another question of about lyrics, I was adding lyrics for Sonic Syndicate's Eden Fire and noticed that there are a few typos in the liner notes. Should those be left in because that is how the band says it is or should it be changed to the way the rest of the world spells it? Thanks.
05.10.2006 - 07:39
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Written by wrathchild on 25.07.2006 at 00:27

No, lyrics are an exception, you should write them in the language used in the album.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I've had people submitting both at once, which I've just deleted their English translation, leaving the other language lyrics before accepting them.

@zoot: Yeah, if it's a really obvious type-o then it would be best to correct it.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
05.10.2006 - 14:02
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery

You can just copy the lyrics into Microsoft Word and change them to Sentence Case, in the change case option.
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
06.10.2006 - 20:15
Raiden
Down Under Staff
@Master_o_Puppets: You missed Jeff's post I think

Oh, and to everyone, make sure when you're submitting lyrics that you are just submitting the proper words. There shouldn't be lots of "ohhhh" "ahhh" and "yeeeahh". Not everything the vocalist sings should be written in the lyrics.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
28.11.2006 - 20:52
iaberis
Advice Troll
When I submited lyrics for the Peruvian band Crimson Death, I didn't correct some mistakes they had... I don't think I should have corrected them, since that's the way they're stated in the booklet
----
Bitch! Please
28.11.2006 - 21:34
wrathchild

Written by iaberis on 28.11.2006 at 20:52

I don't think I should have corrected them, since that's the way they're stated in the booklet

I would personally say that what matters is not what's in the booklet, but what is actually pronounced, but that's just my opinion.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
19.01.2007 - 15:14
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
we get 2 points for adding entire album's lyrics or at a rate of 2 points per song?
----
that which shines without names and forms...