Metal Storm logo
Marduk, Funeral Nation Tour - Toulouse, France, 21st October 2009

Event: Funeral Nation Tour
Written by: Darkside Momo
Published: 06.11.2009

Galleries:

Funeral Nation Tour - Toulouse by Darkside Momo (18)

This stop in Toulouse of the Funeral Nation Tour took place in a venue called Le Ramier. And, let's face it, it's always strange to go to a metal show which takes place in a disco club? If you see what I mean.

But it's not the first time this stuff happens (we also had Nile, and Opeth, playing there a few years ago), and thankfully, this doesn't prevent metalheads to enjoy the shows... Even if tonight's audience what a bit sleepy to say the least. So, what about the bands?

The Ordher
The Ordher, with their thrash-death metal from Brazil started the hostilities. The three guys were aggressive, powerful, nicely so, even if a bit static, but it wasn't bad at all. Alas, their music lacked the 'little something' that would have made it a great show, and so the drowsy audience didn't really react.
Except on the last song (best part of their set for sure), when they invited Wacław "Vogg" Kiełtyka (now playing in Vader, but originally from Decapitated) to cover "Troops Of Doom" with them. And an intense cover it was, well received with quite a lot of cheers (a proof the metalheads there were not zombies after all).

Their Myspace

Fleshgod Apocalypse
I didn't know the band beforehand, but friends at the show told me they were great, with their brutal death metal with classical music leanings.
Well live they didn't impress much. First there was the sound, just a huge wall of sound with nearly no variations. The lead guitar (especially when soloing) was drowned out, but no instrument shines through, however. Yeah, it was just a magma of noise for the most part. Sure, we could make out the big Nile influence, or the recorded Beethoven introduction and the other classical interludes, but that pretty sums it up.
Also, being called 'fuckers' between every song is not really endearing... but whatever.

Vader
Not good, not bad, average, that's about it. Sadly.
The show was quite the same than the Hellfest one, so I wasn't impressed anymore. It lacked energy, I don't know if they were bored or if the routine of touring hung heavily on them, but their set had no real intensity. This didn't prevent a little moshing to take place.
Thankfully, the music's still good, and the set revisited most of discography, with of course more songs of their latest effort Necropolis.
The best moment was the last song: "This Is The War". A great one, and it just seemed Vader emerged from its torpor and finally showed that they are a great band. So sweet, but it came way too late...

Marduk
First off, I don't like Marduk. I went more to see Vader actually.
I heard quite a lot of bad stuff about this band live (especially about Mortuus at his beginnings with the band) but also some good stuff too. So, out of curiosity (and duty ) I stayed.
Well this was without doubt the best show of the evening!! As soon as they hit the stage, the crowd went nuts.
And hell, Mortuus is a really charismatic frontman. He has this impressive presence that draws all looks to him, and he shoulders all the show (visually at least) with no visible difficulties. Around him the musicians were tight as fuck - no surprise concerning the band's leader Morgan Håkansson.
And it was not one hour and a half of blastbeats only. Sure there were a lot, but the setlist was wisely done, with songs that varied the moods to great effect.
Great show indeed!

Conclusion: be open-minded, and don't hesitate to go to shows and check bands you don't know. In a live setting, everything is possible.

Many thanks again to Etienne of Necrocosm for the accreditation and photo pass!

Written on 06.11.2009 by Once your regular Hellfest reporter, now retired. I (strangely enough) listen to a lot of metal. And enjoy good beers, comics, novels and role-playing games.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 113 users
06.11.2009 - 13:44
Deadsoulman

Looks like a copy paste of the show I attended in Lyon.

I was especially disappointed with Fleshgod Apocalypse because their new album is insane, undoubtedly one of the best DM of the year, but their show was just flat and boring. Even their cover of At the Gates' Blinded By Fear sucked.

Vader was decent, as you said, and Marduk was much better than the last time I saw them. Lots of variation for a Marduk show, and the songs off the new album sounded really cool
07.11.2009 - 10:17
wormdrink414

Is picture 11 of Vogg? Damn metalheads and their long hair.
07.11.2009 - 10:44
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by wormdrink414 on 07.11.2009 at 10:17

Is picture 11 of Vogg? Damn metalheads and their long hair.

yes, that's him
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
08.11.2009 - 09:56
InnerSelf
proofread free
I can't stand Marduk's music at all
and I don't think I would enjoy them live neither
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
17.12.2009 - 19:39
SatyriconChick

I saw Marduk play last night in NYC and they blew the roof off. They were awesome! I'd never seen them live before, but now more than ever, I'm really regretting not seeing them (and Mayhem) when they played around here back in May.
28.10.2014 - 03:09
MetalDoomMaster

I've seen Fleshgod three times, the first two were absolutely incredible, and the last time was complete shit. Looks like their live performance has gone downhill quite a lot lately.
28.10.2014 - 03:14
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 28.10.2014 at 03:09

I've seen Fleshgod three times, the first two were absolutely incredible, and the last time was complete shit. Looks like their live performance has gone downhill quite a lot lately.

I dunno, honestly. Never saw them again since that 2009 date, and I've always been told they improved A LOT in the live department... I'll have to check that again sometime. Maybe this third time of yours was just a bad day for them?
----

I am awake"
28.10.2014 - 03:26
MetalDoomMaster

Written by Darkside Momo on 28.10.2014 at 03:14

I dunno, honestly. Never saw them again since that 2009 date, and I've always been told they improved A LOT in the live department... I'll have to check that again sometime. Maybe this third time of yours was just a bad day for them?

Oh, wow for some reason this was just added to my band updates, so I thought this was new and didn't look at the dates hahaha. Well, maybe that was just an off day then. Wow I feel dumb right now
28.10.2014 - 03:31
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 28.10.2014 at 03:26

Written by Darkside Momo on 28.10.2014 at 03:14

Oh, wow for some reason this was just added to my band updates, so I thought this was new and didn't look at the dates hahaha. Well, maybe that was just an off day then. Wow I feel dumb right now

Ahah don't worry, it seems it was my fault I was tweaking some links with my old concert reviews and that made them all appear as new updates.
Actually I should thank you as you made me aware of the problem
----

I am awake"
28.10.2014 - 03:33
MetalDoomMaster

Written by Darkside Momo on 28.10.2014 at 03:31

Ahah don't worry, it seems it was my fault I was tweaking some links with my old concert reviews and that made them all appear as new updates.

Ah well in that case no problem! haha.
Thanks for the concert reviews.
28.10.2014 - 03:38
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 28.10.2014 at 03:33

Written by Darkside Momo on 28.10.2014 at 03:31

Ah well in that case no problem! haha.
Thanks for the concert reviews.

you're welcome!
----

I am awake"

Hits total: 9173 | This month: 9