Metal Storm logo
Most agressive/melodic/dirty vocalist of these ones

Poll

Which vocalist is better in the dirty/melodic style?

Hansi Kursch
Matt Barlow
Jorn Lande
Andi Deris
Oliver Hartmann

Total votes: 74
25.07.2006 - 03:52
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Hi there, i don't like to make many topics as you do, but i wanted to start this one, about that kind of voice very strange that is dirty, almost Thrash metal, but at the same time is melodic, if power metal dominance appears to destroy it, but fit perfectly in that genre.

Well, i like a lot Blind Guardian, and the vocal style of hansi is very amazing, i like a lot and is my favorite style of voice.

The others ones uses a kind of distortion in their vocal crecendos, for example oliver hartmann in many songs of at vance or Matt Barlow in some iced earth songs where the high notes must be reached with agression...

What is your favorite vocalists of these and Why? do you like that style? c'monn
27.07.2006 - 04:37
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Andi Deris and Matt Barlow are my favorite....Andi Deris with his 'aaaaaiiiieeeaaaa' and Matt Barlow with his 'eeeeeaaaahhhhh'...they make me laugh everytime but it's still great...both are really theatrical, dramatic and overdo a bit too much...when I heard 'lift ya heeeaaad up tooo the skaaaaaiiieeee' and 'to the Quasaaaaaaaa' on Ayreon's To The Quasar I just knew that was him without checking out the guest vocalist list....both Deris and Barlow have the most reconizable dirty melodic vocals...
27.07.2006 - 05:12
Endoftherainbow
My favorite out of all of these is definently Hansi Kursch he has a great voice with many sides to it. His voice is also very distinguishable I'd know its him regardless of what he was sining. Another one of my favorites on the list though is Barlow his screams are great.
27.07.2006 - 14:57
Revenant
Account deleted
Hansi was untill ANatO now he is jsut weak
27.07.2006 - 16:29
danzig111
Account deleted
I don't like Andi Deris.....Kai Hansen WAS Helloween......

anyway, my vote goes to Hansi Kursch. I love Blind Guardian to death and his vocals truly do at to the music. wow what a great voice he has.
27.07.2006 - 17:59
DarkMistress
Kai Hansen was amazing in Helloween, still i like Andi Deris, but there´s no one like Hansi Kürsch, i love that man
----
Wait in fire
27.07.2006 - 18:27
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Kai's voice is more clean, his tone is sometimes very dirty too, but i think the tone of deris fits perfectly in helloween...

@Revenant: Hansi weak at this period? Why? i think a night at the opera was a very powerful disc with his voice?

Barlow's voice is very aweome in that judas priest cover don't you think? and oliver hartmann, is one of the greates melodic agressive vocals! i love his voice (not being gay).
27.07.2006 - 18:33
Stigmatized
Hansi is the best choice of these, though Matt Barlow is also incredible. You just can't find a better vocalist than Hansi.
28.07.2006 - 03:07
Pyro
Account deleted
I find all those vocalists to be simply average, specially Hansi Kursch whose voice I totally dislike (maybe even hate), all of those except for Oliver Hartmann, an interesting yet poweful singer, so my voice goes to him.
28.07.2006 - 03:20
Daru Jericho
I was gonna choose Hansi but then I saw Barlow and remembered why I fell in love with Iced Earth. Really raw.

Anyhow, does Warrel Dane count as applicable for this poll? If so then I'd choose him. His rough vocals make Nevermore sound even more angry and I love it.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

28.07.2006 - 19:25
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
@Daru Jericho: but in nevermore the vocals get to b eclean don't you think? is a great singer but is not valorated...

@Pyro: I think oliver hartmann is one of the greatest of all time!
28.07.2006 - 21:54
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Tom Englund from Evergrey is another one of those dirty melodic agressive vocalists by the way...you should put him on that list...
29.07.2006 - 02:18
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
sorry, i pass him...but vote for him too! i think he's awesome, but my vote is for hansi hehe
29.07.2006 - 05:05
Daru Jericho
Written by Vinnie R. on 28.07.2006 at 19:25

@Daru Jericho: but in nevermore the vocals get to b eclean don't you think? is a great singer but is not valorated...

Yeah, they are more clean than rough so I was just checking.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

29.07.2006 - 05:10
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
don't worry, i think i forget to includ him, is just that i only have the last album so i only add my favorite singer who have a very rough (that's the word daru thnx ) voice.
29.07.2006 - 19:05
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
Matt Barlow for sure I love everything he ever made
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
30.07.2006 - 06:51
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Matt barlow's voice is awesome i remember when i listen him for first time, iced earth became one of my favorite bands.

Jorn's work is very amazing too, there's a topic about him, and his career has been very hard, i think one of the most agressive of these ones.
30.07.2006 - 22:47
Dam3k
Matt Barlow definetely, I don't reckon his voice would be specially good but he has something others hasn't that's what I like and he fits perfect in Iced Earth, which, atm I prefer to Blind Guardian
----

31.07.2006 - 04:04
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Oliver hartmann is good too, no votes for him? well you can listen him in:
Avantasia
Magic kingdom
Aina
At Vance (one of my favorites)
His solo proect!
31.07.2006 - 16:57
Baz Anderson
Staff
haha i like this poll. i dont like the results though. hahahaha
look - i am the only one that has voted for Jørn Lande and no one has voted for Andi Deris

oh well. if i wasnt going to vote for Jørn it would be for Andi, and if not Andi - Hansi
Jørn Lande is one of the best singers i have heard though in my opinion. i love Ark and i love Masterplan
i just love his singing
31.07.2006 - 17:49
Hyvaarin
Voted Hansi, simply because his singing is excellent. That's all the explanation that's necessary, really .

Second choice would be Deris.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
31.07.2006 - 22:09
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
@Baz Anderson: Jorn's voice is awesome in Ark, he reaches very high notes with his rough voice in progresive music (just a little my favorite song). The results are funny, because nobody has voted for Legend Andi Deris! He's awesome too! His voice is his signature!
01.08.2006 - 15:27
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Vinnie R. on 31.07.2006 at 22:09

@Baz Anderson: Jorn's voice is awesome in Ark, he reaches very high notes with his rough voice in progresive music (just a little my favorite song). The results are funny, because nobody has voted for Legend Andi Deris! He's awesome too! His voice is his signature!

haha yeh, he is probably a lot of peoples second favorite, just second favorites dont get a vote. haha
i am listening to Jørn at the moment actually - i didnt realise. i have Masterplan on
yeh, both Ark albums are fantastic, were a bit hard to get and expensive here though but i finally got them both. my 'Burn The Sun' has the Japanese thing on it and an extra Japanese thing inside which is rather amusing

i kinda feel sorry for Andi - he deserves some votes! haha. he is my friend - he put one of Weikie's plectrums in my hand! haha hahahaha
06.11.2006 - 06:48
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Barlow. he has this dramatic sado voice, yet he can go up way high, like in "Wolf". To bad he's a cop now.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
07.11.2006 - 11:12
Seelenlos
Hansi is the best... and Blind Guardian rulezzz!!!
10.11.2006 - 05:44
Lorien
Account deleted
Hansi Kursch
Unique!
21.03.2007 - 14:10
visceraltorture
Account deleted
HANSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII.....
i dont think anyone can sing like him.... especially
with that German accent, he fuckin rules!

blind guardian kicks ass...
the first song i heard of theirs was 'the curse of feanor'
and it blew me... the part i noticed most was the vocals
and drumming..... powerful vocals.. but what surprised
me was how much mellow hansi could get.... there
was this acoustic version of 'lord of the rings'... it was
deadly.....

anyways, if you notice, GERMANY has always given the best
of metal... i dont think there is a single metal band from germany
that i actually hate .... and also realised how
deep-rooted metal is in germany... recently i got to
hear stuff of a band called RAGE (kickass) and it was really shocking
to know they ve been around since 1984.... GERMANY rocks!
and generally power metal gets a little repetitive after a while...
but not in the case of German bands... even in Black Metal,
i don think any band can beat ABSURD (purely subjective)....
boy they were kickass... sad they ll never play anymore.....
08.06.2007 - 18:30
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Matt Barlow would make a great singer in a thrash band, because the guy can let off some awesome growls. Hansi Kursch would be my second choice, although he dose tend to sound much more high pitch than most... not that its a bad thing at all, but i've never heard him really let off a roar.
09.06.2007 - 01:48
orathac
Account deleted
i voted Hansi he just has a very rare vocal the best from those Melodic

P.S. why Quorthon isn't on the poll? :S
09.06.2007 - 03:28
graywolf87
Account deleted
for aggressiveness, power and voice I pick my favorite singer of all time MATT BARLOW, I dream of having him together with Iced Earth, after all IE is my favorite dark heavy metal band of all time (only with Matt in it not the Ripper) ...second comes Blind Guardian (some people don't like Demons and Wizards furck orff!)